Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 11:18   #166
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Seems like with every passing generation the City is getting less attractive and more upmarket. 3rd Gen City was a bonker of a design in terms of competition at that time and won over many hearts. 4th gen was not as radical but went feature rich. This one, well, I'm happy that my current City won't look outdated anytime soon. And if these pictures are anything to go by, no one will buy it just because of its looks. As other bhpians said, this city is for the dads. But no doubt City has a great reliability and brand quotient. So that will pull some buyers. In fact the car may look better in person but from the pictures, it seems the current Verna looks better than this inside and out.
Old 26th November 2019, 12:17   #167
BHPian

Am just so so glad that I went ahead with my decision to get a pre loved 3rd gen Honda city even when I could have bought a new one. The 3rd gen was the best in my opinion and the design went from bad to worse. The City used to be the car which competitors used to take inspiration from. Now it's just a muddled mess design wise
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-fb_img_1574750590926.jpg  

Hamza123 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 12:38   #168
BHPian

I will reserve my judgement till we see one on road. Saying this because when I first saw the launch images even I was disappointed, but with the ACI video review I didn't hate it that much! Infact liked the front and rear end, the seats and the good quality dashboard. Side profile is still a downer but let's see how it looks in a different color under natural lighting.
Old 26th November 2019, 12:52   #169
BHPian

As an owner of the 2017 facelift model, the new one looks way to bland to me and leans towards the looks of the Yaris. However, we are yet to see the car in flesh and I think the increased outside dimensions might change this perception.

The interiors however seem, to be a huge disappointment and feels as if Honda has actually gone a few generations back in terms of design. The placement of the ICE and the shape of the AC vents seem to be copied from the outgoing GLE and it looks way out of place to me in this car.

The only thing current City owners I think would like about the new car is that it comes with Android Auto and Apple Car Play .

The Digipad 1 that we get with the current City is downright pathetic for a car in this price range today
Old 26th November 2019, 12:56   #170
Senior - BHPian

As a owner of 4th gen city I am slightly disappointed. I was expecting something really good looking but this is plain boring to look at and even the interiors dont give a Wow impression. Even my wife said this looks like a bigger Amaze at first look. Guess, I won't be waiting for this one as a replacement next year. Such a shame.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 12:58   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion the first gen OHC and the third gen City are the best looking city models so far. This new model looks worse than the outgoing version of city. What's with Honda and undersized tyres? 4.55 metre long bulk and 15 inch 185 section tyres ? God! It looks awful from the sides.

I don't think space was an issue in the city at all. What's the point in increasing the dimensions and make the car look mutated. The current city is a perfect car, except for the build quality and 175 section tyres.
Old 26th November 2019, 13:41   #172
BHPian

I do like the exterior look of this car. But how many of you feel that the ICE looks like an aftermarket installation? Don't see it to be well integrated with the dashboard (which Hyundai in general seem to do well)
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot-20191126-1.38.46-pm.png  

krish.sathish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 13:43   #173
BHPian

This 5th Gen City and the 2020 Verna are standing absolute opposite poles in terms of design language. While one (City) has played very safe without any significant sharp lines or creases, the other (Verna) is full of it to the extent of getting hard to digest. A new space to play for the Ciaz when it comes with a facelift?

For this City, the rear now seems to be very bulky and in dire need of some sharp creases to cut the mass. It surely does look a lot like the previous gen Toyota Corolla (sans the BMW inspired taillights). In terms of the engine options, Honda might be tempted to offer both the 1.5 L as well as 1.0 Turbo engine in India (with RS badge), much similar to that of Baleno (and Baleno RS) may be? They could also play around with the interiors in both these versions with the 1.5 L going masses with beige and black while the turbo one going the all black sporty theme (along with a sporty engine). Though this might not add directly to the sales but sure will be an additional portfolio item for them.
CarMind is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:13   #174
Senior - BHPian

As a owner of the current 4th Gen City - this new model did not impress me much. As far as I can see Honda will need to add lot more gadgets before they release in India as the Seltos and Hector have set the expectations high and educated the masses about the Connected Car/Voice Commands/360 degree Camera etc. And I am guessing next Verna Release will have access to most of the above given the common parentage and parts bin of Hyundai/Kia.

While many have called out that the 3rd Gen was the Best City ever, I beg to differ. Possibly the build quality was slightly better but the 4th Gen is a very practical package which took the in-cabin space to the next level. Wheelbase of 4th Gen (2600 mm) is 100 mm more than the 3rd gen (2500 mm). The other very important factor was the suspension - 3rd Gen City is famous for scraping the bottom over speed breakers which the 4th Gen City solved.
vsrivatsa is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 16:37   #175

I will reserve my opinion until I see them on roads, but I must say that those tyres, especially in white cars look severely under tyred (hope honda is aiming for both comfort and sportiness this time). Still, I am a big fan of the third-gen Honda City. My neighbour in my home town is still using a facelifted version of this model at that time, a 1.5 L VTEC (I remember that was the first car with VTEC engine in City by Honda). That Civic inspired low slung stance,love it.
Old 26th November 2019, 16:53   #176
Senior - BHPian

What I'd love to see in the new one are the following
1) bigger tyres. The 2020 model looks even more undertyred than the current gen model.
2) Better infotainment options, which seem to be resolved.
3) Little more oomph , say bumping power to 125 bhp or so, just to keep it exciting. Alternatively, getting a proper hybrid, for which one wouldnt mind paying a couple lac more.
4) Standardize 6 airbags( at a minimum) and ESP, so that the safety argument is buried.
In my opinion, they dont need bargain basement E / S trims anymore .There arent too many numbers to be made anyway. Just a nice V/ VX and ZX (Hybrid) would do over a price spread of 4 lac or so. That will bring back the premium quotient that Honda began its City journey with in India.
Old 26th November 2019, 17:03   #177
BHPian

Looks pretty bland compared to the revolutionary 3rd gen city. Almost as if they outsourced styling of the car to the previous gen Toyota designers.
Interiors are bland and generic too and could’ve been just lifted out of a Renault/Hyundai/ Nissan.
One can only hope they be worked on the quality this time.
Engine looks promising enough. It’s got more torque and horsepower than the 1.2 tsi, but I fear for the top end performance. Would it just die down as you get to the redline like all small turbo 4 pots ?
Old 26th November 2019, 18:03   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Lacks flair in my humble opinion, with eponymous fleet car / taxi looks. Needs some solid accessorization + bigger alloys + wider tyres to give it some Honda 'zing'.

Compared to this, the Civic looks so much better. Pity about the Civic's engine of course :-(
Old 26th November 2019, 18:17   #179
Senior - BHPian

Some of y'all your acting as if this is a new Ferrari. It is the Maruti Alto of South-East Asia. Looks fine for what it is. The only thing I don't like is that the shoulder-line could have been lower. This kind of reminds me of sub-4m sedans.

Other than that, pretty good. Very nice interiors too. Love the tailights, a nice way to get the 3-series look for much cheaper.

Last edited by avishar : 26th November 2019 at 18:18.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 18:29   #180
BHPian

Not happy with the looks of the new city as well as the amaze. The earlier versions were better looking version. Somehow dont like the front grill

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks