Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2021, 20:37   #1921
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Very rare to come across City diesel owners. I have always been curious to know how it feels to drive the new City in diesel, as I have never driven one.

Two things that turned me away from choosing the diesel engine in the City (purely based on what I've seen on reviews):

1. The noisy engine (The petrol one itself gets noisy above 3k RPM, so I assume the diesel variant would definitely be very noisy, considering Honda's poor attempt at insulation)

2. The engine specs (I could be completely wrong about this one, but 100 hp and 200nm of torque seemed a little less for a diesel engine)

What are your thoughts about the above points?

Also, your signature shows a list of audio mods! Are they all on the City?
You'll be surprised if I said the diesel is quieter in the cruising level that is around 110-130 kmph (maybe by a small margin though), where as the petrol manual feels very stressed and noisy, the CVT was different though, felt relaxed if your inputs are progressive and not hasty. I feel they have done more sound insulation in this gen car or atleast the diesel, because anyone who sits in my car find it hard to believe its a diesel.

The power is a big let down, the spec sheets say them right and I have to keep fighting with Etios diesels on the highway till 110 kmph. The power is very disappointingly linear, feels like your driving a non-turbo diesel, like the Palio 1.9D. The reason for my low fuel efficiency figures is very evident that I have to keep downshifting to keep up the steam, the only benefit being I can brake a bit later and more confidently than the others in the segment. Its very difficult to keep up with spirited driving Hyundai's and VW's, you'll be lost in no time.

I did drive a 4th Gen petrol for a 1000 km trip and it's just plain boring compared to the diesels on highways. I thought I would be fatigued easily switching to a sedan, but the light clutch and the comfy seats are keeping me away from complaining much. 23 years of driving and hopefully this would be my last manual transmission car.

I did carry over all my audio gear from the Duster to the City, changed the DSP and added a center channel, using the stock HU only. The car does make an impact on how your gear sounds, it sounds far more superior than my Duster. Was able to get the center work for a 2 seat tune, it's a bit of compromise, but my wife is not complaining anymore and it sounds good at both seats.

Regards
kanna.sridharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 20:42   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
I believe 6th gear ratio could have been better. My car reaches 100 kmph at 2500 RPM and 120 kmph at 3000 RPM. Whereas automatic Honda City reaches 100 kmph at 1800-1900 RPM. Coupled with poor sound insulation, a lot of noise is present in the cabin at highway speeds. Otherwise car is stable at those speeds.

Only if you push A pedal fully to the floor then you can hear engine scream but I feel these will be very exceptional cases and that too only when you are either deliberately testing for this or if you want to reach maximum velocity in the shortest time.
I have a CVT and I just completed a 500km highway drive and I didn't hear engine revving noise upto 110 and I didn't feel any particular need for faster acceleration.
I didn't specifically noted the RPM at 100 but I think it was near about 2k.
And yes it's a bit noisy in the cabin above 90 and Honda should have done something about it.

Quote:
I think that is because the automatic version is a 7-speed CVT, whereas the manual is 6-speed. Hence the lower RPM for the same speed.

I think I heard on some youtube videos that in CVT 6-speed or 7-speed is just for show so as to give the drivers an impression of gears changing and in fact CVT has almost infinite gear ratios?
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 22:01   #1923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I think I heard on some Youtube videos that in CVT 6-speed or 7-speed is just for show so as to give the drivers an impression of gears changing and in fact CVT has almost infinite gear ratios?
I mean it's in the name itself CVT - Continuously Variable Transmission.

We've been seeing this type of transmission for a good while now in our scooters, a CVT system is why my mom's Vespa LX125 can reach 80kph+ despite barely having 8hp and 1 forward gear.

This section of a Suzuki Burgman 650 video by Canada's Fortnine is the simplest explanation of a CVT I could find.

(Skip to 5:30)

GreasyCarb55 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 01:47   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Only if you push A pedal fully to the floor then you can hear engine scream but I feel these will be very exceptional cases and that too only when you are either deliberately testing for this or if you want to reach maximum velocity in the shortest time.
I have a CVT and I just completed a 500km highway drive and I didn't hear engine revving noise upto 110 and I didn't feel any particular need for faster acceleration.
I didn't specifically noted the RPM at 100 but I think it was near about 2k.
Thank you for your response. My comment was regarding the manual as automatic does not rev as much on the same speeds. My point is this car cannot be the one for spirited driving when you are with your family specially parents because of excessive noise and based on the feedbak of long time owners of Honda City, rear end bounciness(although I have not experienced that yet) at the same time.
However if you alone or with like minded friends then you can rev the nuts of it. Just before 4000 RPM you can clearly hear the sound of engine changing. And because of that change in the sound do not make the mistake of thinking that engine is feeling strangled at that RPM. Actually it is waking up. If and only if conditions allow push the pedal to the metal and feel the magic.
The most fun I have out of all the different conditions is on the twisties of Himanchal and Uttarakhand.
In the mountains I have noticed that this car overtakes most of the traffic just by keeping it in the right gear (2nd/3rd). Out of those local cars which keep up with this one, mostly are those whose drivers do not hesitate to overtake a slow moving vehicle in a blind turn. This is a skill that I haven't tried yet nor I wish to.
Learner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 11:59   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanna.sridharan View Post
The power is a big let down, the spec sheets say them right and I have to keep fighting with Etios diesels on the highway till 110 kmph. The power is very disappointingly linear, feels like your driving a non-turbo diesel, like the Palio 1.9D. The reason for my low fuel efficiency figures is very evident that I have to keep downshifting to keep up the steam, the only benefit being I can brake a bit later and more confidently than the others in the segment. Its very difficult to keep up with spirited driving Hyundai's and VW's, you'll be lost in no time.
Regards
Totally agree with the lack of Turbo for Highways. Interesting to see a City diesel on the forum. I was very close to getting one myself, however, having heard multiple issues on BS6 diesel engines across brands, I chose petrol CVT.

On the insulation front, the diesel motor is known to be noisy. Do try to insulate the bonnet and firewall area too.

My experience with damping the doors and tyre upgrade (on petrol) have made a huge improvement on the overall NVH.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2021 at 04:55. Reason: Capital letters
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 15:24   #1926
BHPian

Car: 2021 New 5th Gen Honda City CVT
Current odometer:- 1380 KM
Fuel - Normal Petrol
A/C usage: 50%
Average 520km Trip FE(480km Highway + 40km City) : 20.7 KPL(Tankful - Tankful)
: 21.2 KPL (MID)

Average Highway FE (480km Delhi - Jaipur) : 21.7 KPL

Average City FE ( based on 200km in Delhi) : 13.25 KPL both MID & Tankful - Tankful

Passengers: - 2 (City) | 2 (Highway)
Tire Pressure - 35 PSI (Nitrogen)

On the Delhi - Jaipur trip, We started at 9.30 in the morning and took 1 hour pit stop and this was same for the return trip also.
Car was driven @ 80 to 110 kmph in normal mode without any use of paddle-shifters and without any care for fuel efficiency.
I believe highway fuel efficiency can be increased by driving with discipline @ 80 kmph.

I tried to cross 120 twice but couldn't for various reasons. Firstly both the attempts were half-hearted. Second attempt was by my wife and she let go of the A pedal at 119!
Also roads and traffic weren't conducive enough for even touching 120.
Also it seems that above 100 car does not accelerate fast enough.
Car gave the impression that it would not be 100% stable at 120 and beyond.
But I need to test these further.

Braking is good enough.

My wife who is very prone to motion sickness was not bothered by it in the co-passenger seat. She drove the return trip and it was her 1st time drive on a highway. CVT was a boon for her. Also driver seat height adjustment has enough play to support a range of driver heights.

Otherwise trip was uneventful.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 6th December 2021 at 15:27.
neeraj0272 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 16:39   #1927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanna.sridharan View Post
True, It really doesn't feel like 100bhp. I had driven the 1st gen Amaze diesel for a fair bit, stretching over 5 years as my buddy had it. 1st gen Swift diesels felt faster, and years later the Figo 1.5 tdci proved how 100bhp should feel in a small car. Though, have to admit that the engine is idiot proof. Extremely tractable and difficult to stall. Not to say, fuel efficient too. With the 6th gear and removal of any limiters, the diesel should be better in the Jazz and City than the Amaze.

And as an Etios D owner, have to say am surprised at how the 68bhp feels on road, with the 30bhp difference with the Amaze D not being as stark.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 19:56   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Car: 2021 New 5th Gen Honda City CVT

Passengers: - 2 (City) | 2 (Highway)
Tire Pressure - 35 PSI (Nitrogen)

I tried to cross 120 twice but couldn't for various reasons. Firstly both the attempts were half-hearted. Second attempt was by my wife and she let go of the A pedal at 119!
Tyre pressures are too high, try lowering the pressures to 32/31 and it should help stabilize the ride more. After some time of spirited driving on long distances, tyre pressures get increased by a good 3-4 PSIs. So you would have driven in ~40 PSI range for most of the ride.

High speed driving on clear expressways is very much effortless. I don't want to quote the speed numbers however beyond 100 KM/H the engine just is a joy.

I've completed around 7K Kms, and I can safely say the car is very capable in straight-line speed and stability.
Swarup5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 22:04   #1929
BHPian

I too wonder about 35 psi but all the air pumping guys say and fill 35psi in Delhi. I never suffered a puncture in past 5 years. So never tried to go against the grain. At least that's my experience.
Old 6th December 2021, 22:59   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Car gave the impression that it would not be 100% stable at 120 and beyond.
But I need to test these further.
Quote:
I can confirm that the car stays stable at 153KMPH. Haven't pushed beyond in my 3 months of ownership.
I've covered 2344kms in 35 days today and have touched good speeds easily using sports mode on CVT petrol, and the motor still had steam left in it!

Three reasons why I had to slow down without pushing it any harder:
1. Unfavorable traffic conditions
2. Boomy engine note disturbing cabin NVH
3. Orders from wife sitting to my left

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th December 2021 at 09:31. Reason: Mod note attached.
mAndArk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:34   #1931
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 16:35   #1932
BHPian

Well the City turned a year old in november last month and it was due for the 30K service, so i booked the service with courtesy honda okhla. Jobs to be carried out were just engine oil change,air filter change ,oil filter change,i get the balancing alignment done from my own guy.Only issues reported to SA were a humming noise at 80 kmph which started coming about 2 K kms back so i thought to get it checked during the next service due at 30 K, and a slight squeaking noise from the brakes up front.

Car was consistently returning an avg of 14.5-15 kmpl with 100% AC city driving and post October onward with zero Ac usage i was getting 16.5-17.5 for the same 100 km daily run.Got the car picked up at 0900 hrs on 06/12 and SA promised delivery by 1500hrs. He called me at 1430 hrs and said that sir since you have upgraded to 205 profile Michelin tyre's that humming sound is from the Tyre's and my senior says that you have to revert to 185 section tyre's. I told him had it been an issue with my Tyre's then it would be problem throughout the speed range and not just at 80 KMPH. I asked him to swap tyre's with the demo car and go for a test drive and if the problem vanished i will gladly change my tyre's, post doing what i asked him to do in a sheepish voice he says yes the issue is still there on 185 section tyre's,and i will keep the car overnight and get it thoroughly checked next day.

Next day around 1500 hrs on 07/12 he calls and says we have checked the bearing the suspension the brake rotors and everything we could and end result was we have no clue whats wrong,he then says i will write a mail to Honda india and see what they tell me to do.Now today 08/12 i call up to check whether everything has been sorted, he picks up the call and says in subdued voice sir honda has reverted and asked me to swap the CVT transmission with the Demo cars CVT and check if the noise goes away and if it does they will send across a CVT transmission under warranty and replace.Listening to this just made me like woah what! He is like sir dont worry it will go under warranty claim, i said well thats not what is surprising,what rocked my boat is the fact you have to change the CVT transmission on a 1 year old car.

Any ways it looks like the car is going to be with them for at least a week more,It drove like a dream,hoot to drive and i was loving it as my daily beater after driving SUV's for the last 8 years. If it indeed is a cvt issue i am going to keep it for another 2 years by when it would have touched the lakh mark and sell it off. Will post whatever updates i get in coming days. Time to go back to driving the state vehicle of Uttar Pradesh the gangsta Scorpio
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 21:00   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Well the City turned a year old in november last month and it was due for the 30K service.Only issues reported to SA were a humming noise at 80 kmph which started coming about 2 K kms back so i thought to get it checked during the next service due at 30 K, and a slight squeaking noise from the brakes up front.
That's some serious mileage for 1-year-old Petrol. Imagining your daily drives, I couldn't help but calculate the running costs you are having.

On the humming noise, didn't they explore the option of changing the transmission oil for a start? Changing the whole transmission seems a little too drastic upfront. Given the high running, 40K transmission oil change interval will only be pushed back given the wear and tear.

Hope it all finds a good conclusion. Keep us updated.
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:35   #1934

Hi,

Recommended tyre pressure for Honda City is 32 PSI in the front and 30 PSI in the back tyres.

Wanted to know, what other Honda City owners practice.

Kindly note, the tyres are factory stock ones.
reluctantEnthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:56   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantEnthu View Post
Hi,

Recommended tyre pressure for Honda City is 32 PSI in the front and 30 PSI in the back tyres.

Wanted to know, what other Honda City owners practice.

Kindly note, the tyres are factory stock ones.
I maintain 32 PSI all across on stock tyres when I have a full load. And 32/30 on front/back when I'm traveling solo.

Has worked fine for me so far without any issues.
mAndArk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed