Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 19:25   #2056
src
BHPian
 
src's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 80
Thanked: 218 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_s_bajwa View Post
Did you say 'paint chips' on almost new Honda City or meant scratches only ?

Although, Golden Brown Shade with upgraded tyres looks gorgeous !
Thanks for the compliment brother but YES paint chips.
These are mostly from flying stone chips but this is not new on highways.

Every other car on highway at 80 kmph faces it but the impact is more on City.
Rest aside this Golden Brown shade looks really premium if maintained nicely.
src is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 16:08   #2057
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Mysuru
Posts: 92
Thanked: 465 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Hello All,
I would like to share a few upgrades ( mostly functional ) I have done to date. Have decided not to spend any more money on upgrades in the near future. Below is a thread with a summary of all the changes my Honda City V CVT has seen. Hope it helps.


Results/ Observations :

- All the upgrades are done keeping in mind the warranty impacts. Needless to say, all of them are plug and play except the IRVM which uses a fuse tap ( no wire cuts or splicing).
- Thanks to singhvikas101( fellow bhpian) who helped me measure the cabin sound levels on the stock setup.
- The difference is a reduction of around 5-8 Decibels in various rev ranges. Recorded via NIOSH app on iOS.
- The noise levels are certainly better with an overall dull sound signature after all these changes.
- One would notice the overall quietness/hush in the cabin, however, it won't be pin-drop silence ( as the school teachers say )
- Sound damping/insulation is never an absolute solution. There seems no end to what one can do.
- If one were to ask what is the most effective mod for sound insulation, it is in the below order of decreasing effectiveness with Tyres being most effective.

Tyres>Under Hood damping>Under body coating > Door damping>wheel arch damping > Weather seal additions.

Total damage to wallet - All upgrades included
1. Damping - 12K
2. Tyres - 13K after old tyre exchange.
3. Lights - Low,High,Fog,Cabin - 11K
4. Auto IRVM - 1k
5. Dash Cam (front and rear)- 10K
6. Under Body coat - 3k
7. Speakers - 8k
8. 3D Kagu mats - 8k
9. Carplay wireless -7k
10. Misc -5k

Total: 80k approximately! ( this almost makes it equal to +1 i.e VX trim)

1. Door Damping ,speakers and Lighting upgrades - Link (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)

2. Few more sound insulations which I couldn't get done earlier.

a. Wheel arch and footwell area - To reduce the random stone hit sounds.


The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7166.jpeg

b. Underbody coating at Honda SS during my 3rd service.
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7271.jpeg

c. Weather seal additions - Z-type, P-type, D type across doors. This essentially reduces wind noise.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7284.jpeg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7290.jpeg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7294.jpeg


3. Auto-dimming IRVM - Honda original via Boodmo ( thanks to brilliant DIY inspirations from the forum ). This was an easy and very functional accessory for V variant owners. It uses a fuse tap with a very meagre 2W power consumption.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7458.jpeg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7459.jpeg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7460.jpeg


4. Wireless car play - Thanks to my friend who bought it from US.







Links to what I have used ( Disclaimer: I am not associated nor affiliated with any of these products . Just posting for the benefit of others).

1. Sound insulation
Damping sheets
Bonnet damping
Weather seal

2. Tyres - CC6 (Continental tyres)

3. Lights
Low Beam
High Beam
Fog lights
Cabin lights

4.Dashcam

5. Wireless Car play

6. Honda Auto IRVM- 422rs

7. Speakers - set of 2 - JL C1650x .
Swarup5 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 08:49   #2058
BHPian
 
nTorq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 104
Thanked: 251 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
Hello All,
I would like to share a few upgrades ( mostly functional ) I have done to date. Have decided not to spend any more money on upgrades in the near future. Below is a thread with a summary of all the changes my Honda City V CVT has seen. Hope it helps.
Thanks for sharing, Swarup. These are great! Door damping and tyres definitely on my list.

BTW, does the wireless CarPlay device work well? I was planning to get one as well.
nTorq is offline  
Old 9th February 2022, 09:00   #2059
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TN-07 / KL-07
Posts: 51
Thanked: 46 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
Hello All,
I would like to share a few upgrades ( mostly functional ) I have done to date. Have decided not to spend any more money on upgrades in the near future. Below is a thread with a summary of all the changes my Honda City V CVT has seen.

1. Sound insulation
Damping sheets
Bonnet damping
Weather seal
Thanks for sharing.
The Amazon link to the bonnet damping sheet indicates a 100x50cm dimension. How many such sheets did you need for the City? Could you share a few pictures of the outcome?
knockout is offline  
Old 9th February 2022, 10:25   #2060
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Mysuru
Posts: 92
Thanked: 465 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Thanks for sharing, Swarup. These are great! Door damping and tyres definitely on my list.

BTW, does the wireless CarPlay device work well? I was planning to get one as well.
Thanks ! The Wireless CarPlay device is holding up well, the only slightest downside is the 1-second lag when changing songs( which one gets used to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout View Post
Thanks for sharing.
The Amazon link to the bonnet damping sheet indicates a 100x50cm dimension. How many such sheets did you need for the City? Could you share a few pictures of the outcome?
Just 1 sheet was sufficient, in fact, I have not covered the entire hood as I felt the glue wasn't strong enough. Didn't want to risk loose parts in the engine bay. As you can see below, I have tucked in the OE damping carpet over the aftermarket damping sheet. I'm yet to find a glue that can sustain high temperature, until then I will keep the additional sheet away.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_7478.jpeg
Swarup5 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 23:58   #2061
BHPian
 
911CarerraS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 113 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Hello guys I am going to take delivery of ZX CVT next month and I wanted to get quotations for upgrading tyres to 205 Section Conti/ Michelins, I wanted to know which brand and spec tyres does the city come equipped with? Does it still come with the Goodyear tyres?

Thanks
911CarerraS

Last edited by 911CarerraS : 9th February 2022 at 23:58. Reason: Grammatical errors
911CarerraS is offline  
Old 10th February 2022, 00:15   #2062
BHPian
 
mAndArk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: KA03/JH05
Posts: 54
Thanked: 162 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
I wanted to know which brand and spec tyres does the city come equipped with? Does it still come with the Goodyear tyres?
Congrats on your buying decision!

I got the ZX CVT in Nov'21 and it came with 185 section Bridgestone Ecopia tyres.
mAndArk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:27   #2063
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 434
Thanked: 923 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
Total: 80k approximately!(this almost makes it equal to +1 i.e VX trim)
I would yet say that money well spent! These nifty mods and accessories are extremely practical and should make for an easier and more relaxed drive.

Had a question for you:

1) I saw the tyres and assume they are Continentals? I am sure they didn't come stock and you upgraded to them. What are your impressions on the Continentals e.g. drive, sound, grip, resilience against bruising at this point in time?
AKSarkar1 is offline  
Old 10th February 2022, 15:01   #2064
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Mysuru
Posts: 92
Thanked: 465 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
1) I saw the tyres and assume they are Continentals? I am sure they didn't come stock and you upgraded to them. What are your impressions on the Continentals e.g. drive, sound, grip, resilience against bruising at this point in time?
Yes, they were upgraded after running for 7K km. The initial thousand-odd km was a bit noisy however it has become much silent after that. CC6 is comfort-oriented and claim long mileage and is not for aggressive driving or cornering abilities. If one is inclined towards performance then UC6 or MC might be better suited and comparable to Michelin Primacy.

Also, I observed a strange noise it makes on concrete roads. Tyre shop guys say it is common with most of the tyres however it is a bit annoying when on high speeds.

I compare my observations with Michelin XM2 which were present on my previous car. It certainly was much better overall. Had there been no supply issues I still feel they make some really good tyres.
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 09:14   #2065
BHPian
 
sprinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 87 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
It might be just with my car but I did find the paint quality absolutely abysmal.
And I thought it was just me going through this dilemma. With every wash or dry dusting, I find a new scratch here and there in my 3 months old Golden brown. Reduced the washing frequency to once in 10 days and that too at car wash centers.

Got so fed up of the scratches (and I'm not taking about regular swirls) that I decided to go for Ceramic coating. I was relieved when the detailer said that all the scratches are superficial and the paint is intact and compounding will clear all of them. I would suggest to go for coating which is must for dark colours I believe.The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20220212_1204422.jpg
sprinter is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 13:35   #2066
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dubai/India
Posts: 96
Thanked: 484 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
I would suggest to go for coating which is must for dark colours I believe.
Wow the car looks smashing after the coat. Do mention price for the coat for our reference, if comfortable!
pratyaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 18:16   #2067
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TN-07 / KL-07
Posts: 51
Thanked: 46 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
....Just 1 sheet was sufficient, in fact, I have not covered the entire hood .....

Attachment 2270081
I've switched from a 2015 Jazz VXMT to a 2021 City VMT in Dec.

The Jazz had underbody coating and Yokohama BlueEarth tyres. The Yokohama's definitely gave a superior ride compared to the stock Bridgestones, but I found them only marginally quieter.

Since the pandemic start, I've been doing frequent highway drives and though I wished the Yokos could have been quieter on the Jazz, the overall sound/noise levels especially that of the engine revs did not really bother me (enjoyed in fact!).

However the experience is a lot different with the City. The City was upgraded from stock Goodyear to CC6 and the underbody coated. Based on a recent 1800 km highway roundtrip, the CC6 appear to give a more supple and quieter ride than the Yokos. However the engine revs are a lot louder and obtrusive to me especially when on a day long drive leg.

In this context:
Since I had already knocked off two of the first few "noise reduction" steps that you followed viz tyres & underbody coating, I was wondering whether the under hood damping would significantly reduce the engine rev sound/noise. Of the 5-8dB reduction that you've indicated in an earlier post, approx how much would be contributed by just the
Under Hood damping ?

I do realize that it may not be a straightforward answer, however appreciate your thoughts.

Btw does the City quieten down after a few thousand kilometers and scheduled services? (My Jazz was a pre-owned one and hence do not have an equivalent reference)
knockout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 19:11   #2068
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Mysuru
Posts: 92
Thanked: 465 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout View Post
I've switched from a 2015 Jazz VXMT to a 2021 City VMT in Dec.

The Jazz had underbody coating and Yokohama
In this context:
Since I had already knocked off two of the first few "noise reduction" steps that you followed viz tyres & underbody coating, I was wondering whether the under hood damping would significantly reduce the engine rev sound/noise. Of the 5-8dB reduction that you've indicated in an earlier post, approx how much would be contributed by just the
Under Hood damping ?

I do realize that it may not be a straightforward answer, however appreciate your thoughts.

Btw does the City quieten down after a few thousand kilometers and scheduled services? (My Jazz was a pre-owned one and hence do not have an equivalent reference)
Hello ,
I wouldn’t be able to tell exactly about the hood damping sheets as I didn’t measure after every upgrade. However what I’ve realised after doing all these upgrades is that tackling the sound at source and around it will give maximum result . Which means any damping around engine bay will yield results . If you observe the engine bay , there are numerous tunnel like structures which carry sound from engine bay towards the cowl / dashboard area. I’ve used some high density foam and stuffed them in those cavities too in addition to damping sheets .

As I mentioned in my post , no amount of damping is sufficient and there is no end to what we can do in this regard . It’s almost like becoming an OCD in this department with some or the other sound still irritating to the sensitive OCD ear .


And I’ve completed 10k kms , I don’t see any drastic change after the oil change and servicing .


Thanks ,

Last edited by Swarup5 : 13th February 2022 at 19:13.
Swarup5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 05:19   #2069
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 27
Thanked: 36 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post

3. Auto-dimming IRVM - Honda original via Boodmo ( thanks to brilliant DIY inspirations from the forum ). This was an easy and very functional accessory for V variant owners. It uses a fuse tap with a very meagre 2W power consumption.
Can you share the DIY guide or instructions for this.
telugite is offline  
Old 14th February 2022, 08:27   #2070
BHPian
 
vipul_singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BLR / Lucknow
Posts: 592
Thanked: 826 Times
Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout View Post
Btw does the City quieten down after a few thousand kilometers and scheduled services? (My Jazz was a pre-owned one and hence do not have an equivalent reference)
I can only give you an indirect answer, having owned a Jazz (and other cars) from new. At the first oil service, I changed over to Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, and that made the engine significantly quieter.

After using the Mobil 1 ESP some 3 or 4 times more, I switched to Idemitsu Zepro 0w20 and it became quieter still. The best part with the Zepro was that there is barely difference in engine sound at morning startup and when the engine is fully warmed up.

So maybe try better oils. This has also worked in the Palio and the dolphin City. On the other hand, the Civic, which has always had its oil changes done at the A.S.S., has not become quieter over time. This is further evidence that it was the quality of oil that made the difference in my other cars.

It is either that, or a full insulation of the firewall with butyl mats (foam is pretty useless). As an example, the Palio's engine is louder than the Jazz' from the outside, but just as quiet on the inside - those thick butyl sheets (from the factory) make all the difference.
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks