Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 13:43   #2551
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cule1899_bhp View Post
I'm sure it's a better set of tyres but isn't the ODO error too much with that specification?
Its within the tolerable limits for tyre upgrade,have faced no issues with odo eror, or felt anything amiss. You can refer to tyre upsize calculator for refrence.
Old 1st September 2022, 15:30   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Its within the tolerable limits for tyre upgrade,have faced no issues with odo eror, or felt anything amiss. You can refer to tyre upsize calculator for refrence.
That's what I was concerned about, the ODO error. I referred to the calculator many times and the difference of more than 3% made me skeptical about it. My SA told me that I'd even see the christmas lights pop up if I do an upsize, I'm sure he wasn't equipped completely though. So I thought it's better to get it confirmed with a fellow owner.

Off topic, I really liked the paintwork you got on your sidewalls. Does it last or need to be touched up often?
Old 1st September 2022, 18:31   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
That's what I was concerned about, the ODO error. I referred to the calculator many times, and the difference of more than 3% made me sceptical about it. My SA told me I'd even see the Christmas lights pop up if I did an upsize. I'm sure he wasn't equipped completely, though. So I thought it's better to get it confirmed with a fellow owner.

Off-topic, I liked the paintwork you got on your sidewalls. Does it last or need to be touched up often?
Your S.A is wrong; no "malfunction" lights have come up on my car till now. 20 mm upsize is perfect for most cars. The lettering on the tyres is not painted it's a vinyl/ rubber sticker and lasts the life of the tyre without any issues. The only thing is that one should clean it once a month with a degreaser or an all-purpose cleaner. I get it done on all my cars; sorry for posting an OT pic on a Honda thread, but I just got it done on my Fortuner. I always liked the looks of white lettering
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2eaedb4673ff4420a8a35600f91692e1.jpeg  

Last edited by navin : 1st September 2022 at 21:08. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:11   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
My SA told me that I'd even see the christmas lights pop up if I do an upsize,
I upgraded to 205/55/r16 UC6. Sadly no Christmas lights

Actually, my SA suggested '215/60/r16 Yoko earth 1' as another customer had them without any issues.
Old 1st September 2022, 19:30   #2555
BHPian

The normal logic is that if you upsize the width from 185 mm to either 195 or 205 mm, you might have to reduce the aspect ratio from 55 to 50, so that the overall diameter is not too different as to scrape the wheel well. That said, visually, the Honda City wheel wells seem so spacious as though the actual intended ratio was actually 195/55 R16 and the manufacturer then downsized it to 185/55 for fuel economy. So probably this is the reason why the 205/55 R16s do not have much of an issue fitting in the same wheel well.
Just my personal observation though, and I could be mistaken.

Last edited by Small Bot : 1st September 2022 at 19:33.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:33   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
not paint its a vinyl/ rubber sticker and lasts the life of the tyre without any issues,
sorry for posting an OT pic on a honda thread but i just got it done on my fortuner as well, i always liked the looks of white lettering
Thanks for the info and for the picture too. The lettering on the Fortuner looks damn good as well.
I strongly remember reading here that you went for the Hilux pick up though, or maybe I'm wrong. Congrats on the purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
I upgraded to 205/55/r16 UC6. Sadly no Christmas lights

Actually, my SA suggested '215/60/r16 Yoko earth 1' as another customer had them without any issues.
Good to know that they didn't pop up.
Regarding the 215/60, I doubt they'd go on the stock rims without issues. You need to take SAs advise with a pinch of salt most of the time.
cule1899_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:47   #2557
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info and for the picture too. The lettering on the Fortuner looks damn good as well.
I strongly remember reading here that you went for the Hilux pick up though, or maybe I'm wrong. Congrats on the purchase!
I had booked the Hilux, but once the price was revealed it did not make much sense to me so switched the booking to fortuner and got this instead
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:00   #2558
BHPian

I've driven my Honda City 5th gen for 10,000 km and thought I'd share some of my experiences with everyone.

LOST ORVM CAP

Let me begin with a recent incident in which I mysteriously lost the ORVM mirror cap (driver side). No mishaps or accidents; just took off!

Last month, while traveling to Mahabaleshwar in the rain, I suddenly felt something fly out of the right side of the car. As I was at speed and in the first lane of the highway, I decided to inspect it at my next stop. Oddly, I discovered that the Right ORVM mirror cap had just come off. Not a trace of damage. The ORVM was operating just like new!

(Post-Incident)
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-after-incident.jpg

I grabbed a black garbage bag from the nearby restaurant as I was driving down the highway and covered the exposed area to prevent water damage.

After sending the pictures to the Honda Service Advisor when I got back to Pune, he promptly called and placed an order for a replacement part after explaining the repair cost. One of the key PLUS points for me with Honda is its consistently excellent customer service. The SA informed me over the phone that the replacement component had come in and that he had sent the cap to be painted.

The work was completed in about 15 minutes when I arrived the next day. Everything was resolved in one trip.

(No-Hassle Service!)
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-chat.jpg

(Getting Mirror cap fixed)
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-getting-repaired-honda.jpg

Unfortunately, the first thing I noticed following the fitting was that the ORVM had developed a gap. At first, I assumed the replacement cap was defective. However, the SA quickly took it off and tried it in another City, where it was a perfect fit.

(ORVM Gap)
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-mysterious-gap.jpg

The explanation given for the gap was that the ORVM casing has slight deformation, which is what caused the original cap to fall in the first place.

The only possibility I can think of is that something or someone played around with the ORVM while the car was parked. Again, there are no visible symptoms of damage; all I see is a strange gap that makes me anxious every time I see it. Any suggestions to get rid of this are welcome

Total Repair Cost: INR 1615
Skullcap: INR 612
Painting: INR 1003

A quick 10,000 ownership review

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-10k.jpg

So far, owning this car has been a great experience. I've taken several road trips, and they're always enjoyable. Never experienced fatigue even after spending a lot of time driving. Ground clearance is the sole significant drawback. 90% of the roads are easy for me to navigate, but the remaining 10%, particularly during the rainy season, are troublesome.

How did we end up with City?

Our nine-year-old Chevrolet Beat needed a replacement vehicle, so we started looking (mainly because Chevvy had exited the market and I wanted to own a brand I can trust for service and maintenance). The first factor in selecting a car while we were leaving Beat was SPACE. Lots of it.

These are the vehicles we narrowed down.

1. Tata Nexon: We never considered owning a Tata. We had just arrived at the Hyundai showroom in Pune when I learned that the SA I was speaking with had taken a customer out for a test drive. We were told to wait for 15 minutes. By chance, the Tata showroom was right next to the Hyundai dealership, so we decided to spend some time there. I fell in love with Nexon as soon as I got in. A large, sturdy, modern vehicle.
Tata had truly exceeded expectations. Despite the fact that I had heard a lot of bad things about Tata, the positive energy and entire experience at the Tata showroom convinced us otherwise In the end, we even booked a car! Later, when I told one of my childhood friends—who had owned a Safari Dicor—about this, he persuaded me to cancel the reservation and avoid Tata because of the terrible after-sales experience he experienced.

2. Hyundai Verna - My first love was this car. I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the BS6 Verna, and it appears that I was among the first to test drive the vehicle as soon as it entered the dealerships. The car's inside seemed a little crowded, which was the only aspect I didn't like (we had already taken City Test Drive and were spoiled by the space)

3. Creta – Not booked due to the blatantly unprofessional attitude of the Hyundai salespeople. They take great pride in their best-selling cake. They don't appear to care that people are coming to the showrooms. Due to their lack of interest, we crossed both Hyundai vehicles off of our list (will share a details experience soon)

4. City 5th Gen - From the first test drive, I fell in love with the vehicle. The sales team was outstanding. The features appealed to me. In spite of all these considerations, one of my friends who works for Honda Cars India convinced us that the company has improved with this new model by placing a greater emphasis on build quality and safety.I was more than pleased to bring the beast home as a result.

Quote:
Side Note: I'm not sure if I should share this, but the same friend of mine told me that Honda maintains the highest standards and quality in Jazz, WR-V, City, and Civic models. Amaze, however, is not a member of this pack. This car wasn't made to adhere to the genuine ideals of Honda, and I mean no offense to anyone. It was released expressly to outperform the competition. (Again, not my words)

The car Won't start

Had an interesting experience during the first week of the car ownership (~100km mark) when the car refused to start. I have documented more details in this thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4913860 ("My Car Won't Start" | What To Do)

1. Silent
  2. Smooth ride
  3. Space
  4. Spare tire and additional space - Good thing is that Honda has given a full-size spare (alloy and not the ugly steel) wheel in the car. I've heard that now they have resorted back to the smaller steel wheel. What a shame. I also like the fact that there is some additional boot space once you uncover the spare wheel. Very useful and handy.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-spare-tire-boot-space.jpg
  5. Side view Cam - I love this one. Very helpful in navigating the bumper-to-bumper traffic and specifically in spotting the two-wheelers who are somehow always present in the blind spot

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-side-cam.jpg

Dislikes

1. Ground clearance
  2. Center Display Quality - Could have used more modern technology. Although not a deal-breaker, it does the job and supports Android Auto/Carplay. However, to make the experience even smoother, I'm seeking a wireless Android auto dongle. Looking for suggestions for a good reliable and easily available dongle (was thinking of Motorola MA1 but it's never in stock)

Hit or Miss

1. Fuel Efficiency - The car has a fuel efficiency of 11 kmpl in the city. It makes no difference whether I operate the vehicle in Normal or Eco mode. FE stays the same. However, driving is no longer enjoyable in Eco mode because the car feels so underpowered. I often steer clear of it. Having said that, a car on the highway achieves an astounding 20 to 22 km/h.

(Courtesy: Fuelio)
    The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-avg-fe.jpg
  2. Driver-side Storage Pocket - There is a little storage compartment on the driver's side. This one blocks the entrance and exit when it is opened. On a few occasions, when I attempted to exit the car without realizing the storage lid was open, I managed to injure my leg and knock the lid off. Although on both occasions I was able to replace the lid with only little hinge damage. Now, I'm being really cautious.

(Storage Pocket)
    The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-side-pocket.jpg

(Damage on the hinge, although barely visible)
    The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-side-pocket-damage.jpg
  3. Honda Connect (Poor connectivity) - In terms of features, the Honda Connect is fantastic. Honda has offered the subscription for free for 5 years, and nobody is sure what will happen after that (will it continue to be free or will Honda charge something?) Real-time vehicle monitoring, speed alerts, geo-fencing alerts, remote AC start/stop, and other features are provided. The connectivity is hit or miss, which is the sole drawback of the entire system. There is a Vodafone SIM in the car, and Vodafone in Pune is reputed to have poor connectivity, so I've been told (unconfirmed).

Service Experience & History

The customer service has always been outstanding. extremely competent and comprehensive. The breakdown of the service record to date is shown here. Interestingly, Honda modified the New Honda City's annual maintenance schedule from a 6-month period to a 1-year interval.

(Sevice Record)
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-service.png

Got a scheduled Wheel alignment and balancing done at ~10k km

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-wab1.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-wab2.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-wab3.jpg

Accessories

Although I don't have many car accessories, these are some of the necessities I have included:

Gap Fillers (~INR 300)
Fortunately, I found these on Amazon and they exactly match the color of the car upholstery. great for preventing dust and other small objects from rolling off the seats.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-gap-filler-1.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-gap-filler-2.jpg

Amazon Link

Rove Dashcam (~USD 100) - I stumbled upon this in Bestbuy while visiting the US. Never planned to keep it in my car, but I found a decent offer and brought it. I had considered going to a neighboring car shop to get it fixed, but I first thought of a do-it-yourself strategy. Evidently, it was simple to install, and I had no trouble tidying up the wiring's path through the pillars.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-rove-off.jpg

Amazon Link

7d Mats (INR 6000)
Excellent for keeping the car clean! I appreciate how easy they are to clean and how much coverage they offer.

(Mats Front)
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-7d-mats-front.jpg

(Mats Back)
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-7d-mats-back.jpg
arpirocks is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:39   #2559
BHPian

That's for the great review!

You can buy the AA Wireless dongle from https://www.aawireless.io/ for wireless android auto and carplay.
Old 3rd September 2022, 16:50   #2560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
You can buy the AA Wireless dongle from https://www.aawireless.io/ for wireless android auto and carplay.
Supposed to be very good. Won't work with Apple Carplay though.

Was looking for a good one that works with Carplay for my Jazz.

This one looks good too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZL2YLMC...T7Y9G5A_0?th=1

Last edited by Chethan B G : 3rd September 2022 at 17:04.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 18:08   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpirocks View Post
I don't get why ever city has scratches on that panel.

Great review 👍
Old 4th September 2022, 21:18   #2562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Was looking for a good one that works with Carplay for my Jazz.

This one looks good too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZL2YLMC...T7Y9G5A_0?th=1
Has anyone tried the one below? Looks fantastic!

https://newcarsoul.com/product/new-c...dia-video-box/

Free international shipping + 30% off!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 4th September 2022 at 21:20.
Old 5th September 2022, 09:47   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
I don't get why ever city has scratches on that panel.
Looks like. I noticed it in my car from day 1.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20220905_093320.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th September 2022 at 09:48.
Latheesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:32   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looks like. I noticed it in my car from day 1.
The display comes with a thin adhesive rip off film for protection. After removing it, I suppose the PDI team should do something to clean the ugly mess left behind

My car also has the same issue.
Old 5th September 2022, 17:47   #2565
BHPian

Placed the booking for the ZX MT Pearl White model today. My experience with Ring Road Honda, Gurgaon was good. The total price was ~16L for this, with discounts of 13K and add-ons for the utility package.
The delivery timeline is hopefully in Navratri (Sept end/Oct), so I should have it in my hands soon. Pretty excited!

Other cars I looked at were:
Skoda Kushaq/Slavia: Instant dislike for the Kushaq, though the Slavia was good. Took a TD for both last Saturday, but the cars didn't seem anything special. Good feature set though, and I would definitely miss the ventilated seats from the Slavia in my City.

Creta: Had booked this last year, and cancelled. I felt the leg space for the person sitting behind a 6-foot driver will be quite less, so decided to skip it. Plus was mildly irritated by the fact that they didn't give some features like ventilated seats on the top petrol manual variant.

Venue: Less space for my needs, so skipped this one as well.

Seltos: We already have one at home, and I was partially interested in another. Kia was not offering any discounts though, which would be a function of the demand they're seeing these days and their high sales. Decided to skip.

Virtus: This seemed like a copy of the Slavia more or less, which is obvious given the same parent group. The Topline variant had a waiting period of 3 months, and the car seemed ok. I was not amused by the 1.0L engine of the Virtus and Slavia both, especially since the City is cheaper by a bit and with a 1.5L engine. Skipped.

I had a look at the Maruti stable as well a few months back. Always felt that they need to up their interiors game. Skipped the HyRyder as well due to the hybrid tech, price and my low running estimate per month.
LordSpymaster is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks