Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 20:25   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Official teaser image released by Honda Cars India
Well, they can flaunt all the good looking angles except the side profile which shows the ugly under tyred mess that Honda always does with the city.

Learn from Hyundai and Tata dear Honda, 15 inchers are long gone, in the 2010s.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 20:32   #257
BHPian

Any clue when the launch is planned for?
Old 12th February 2020, 18:28   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post
Any clue when the launch is planned for?

NEW Honda City likely to launch on MARCH 16th 2020.

Quote:
India-spec City to get the same 1.5-litre petrol and diesel engines in BS6 form.

A petrol-mild hybrid system is also on the cards. Diesel-CVT too.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 16:08   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

2020 Honda City to get all beige interiors!

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2020hondacityspied1fccd.jpg

Link

Last edited by Aditya : 13th February 2020 at 17:35. Reason: Repeated images from Post #247 deleted
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 18:44   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, they can flaunt all the good looking angles except the side profile which shows the ugly under tyred mess that Honda always does with the city.

Learn from Hyundai and Tata dear Honda, 15 inchers are long gone, in the 2010s.
Agreed 100%.

I am hoping that Honda will surprise us by Launching the RS version. I read an article recently from AutoCar and they claim that the Indian Spec Honda city will get same LED headlights and 16 inch Alloys as high spec Honda City RS turbo which is on Sale in Thailand. If this holds true, it will actually make the side profile look a bit sportier.

Regards,
Vivek-
Old 14th February 2020, 10:35   #261
Senior - BHPian

5th-gen Honda City India launch in April 2020

Contrary to rumours, the fifth generation Honda City is scheduled to be launched sometime in April 2020.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2020hondacityteaser.jpg

The new City has already been launched in Thailand. The car features a redesigned front end with a large chrome insert and LED headlights. It has a coupe-like roofline and wraparound tail lights. On the inside, the car gets a 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel, twin-dial instrument cluster and an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit.

In India, the new City is likely to get a 1.5-litre, naturally aspirated petrol engine paired with either a 6-speed manual gearbox or a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 14th February 2020 at 10:38.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 11:31   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_god9 View Post
Agreed 100%.

I am hoping that Honda will surprise us by Launching the RS version. I read an article recently from AutoCar and they claim that the Indian Spec Honda city will get same LED headlights and 16 inch Alloys as high spec Honda City RS turbo which is on Sale in Thailand. If this holds true, it will actually make the side profile look a bit sportier.
Nothing wrong in hoping, but very unlikely to happen. The Indian market has historically not been very conducive to more premium or powerful versions, and this will probably be no different. The 1.5 iVTEC is a jewel of a engine and a tried and tested workhorse, and offers a good mix of performance and practicality. No real incentive for Honda to try and be adventurous and incur costs in offering the RS version here.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:01   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
No real incentive for Honda to try and be adventurous and incur costs in offering the RS version here.
Nothing adventurous in following the trend. The Japanese brands - Honda, Toyota and Maruti are probably the only ones left out, without a turbo petrol motor in the price bracket!

VW, TATA, Mahindra, Kia, Renault, Hyundai - almost everyone is having one now, or ready for launch soon - and all of them in cars cheaper than the City.

The 1.5 may be a jewel in refinement and high revving performance - but it surely can't match the sheer midrange punch of a turbo-petrol in the very useful rpm range! How many times, even one the highways - do we really go past 4500rpm - where the 1.5 VTec really starts performing?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 12:20   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nothing adventurous in following the trend.

The 1.5 may be a jewel in refinement and high revving performance - but it surely can't match the sheer midrange punch of a turbo-petrol in the very useful rpm range! How many times, even one the highways - do we really go past 4500rpm - where the 1.5 VTec really starts performing?
1. Anything innovative or new, when replacing a tried and successful solution, in conservative markets like India would be "adventurous". Yes, the trend is changing and that is a welcome thing, but this is exactly why Honda has chosen not to introduce the turbo City in our market. As an enthusiast, I would have welcomed its introduction, but its pretty clear that it is not on the cards, at least for now. Eventually, they might follow the trend, but not anytime soon. Would be happy to be proven wrong on this though.

2. Beg to differ, my friend. There is no requirement at all to rev the iVTEC at 4500 RPM. My driving experience for the past year with the car tells me that the engine picks up steam in a progressive manner right from 1500 RPM onwards. Post 2000 RPM it has more than enough power and torque to offer significant performance to a driver like me. In fact, one of the main reasons why I chose the City was its stellar driveability at low and mid range RPMs, especially within the city. I have never gone to very high RPMs on any of my highway drives, simply because there is enough and more midrange punch between 2000 and 4000 RPM - the "useful RPM range", as you call it. In the city, there is ample performance to be had way south of 4500 RPM. Obviously, at higher RPMs there is more and more power in this engine, but to say that the VTEC starts performing post 4500 RPM is inaccurate.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 14th February 2020 at 12:47.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 13:08   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I have never gone to very high RPMs on any of my highway drives, simply because there is enough and more midrange punch between 2000 and 4000 RPM - the "useful RPM range". In the city, there is ample performance to be had way south of 4500 RPM.
Exactly!

That's the range, and although you may argue that the City offers significant (depends on the driver too) performance there - there is no denying that it can't match the turbo petrol in this zone, where all of them produce their peak torque outputs.

Take the Honda engines only for example - the 145Nm of the 1.5 iVTec that builds only linearly till the peak of 4500pm v/s 200Nm all the way from 2000 - 4500 rpm in the 1.0 iVTec Turbo - and you have the answer which one would be far more punchy in our regular driving styles.

It is sadly just pure a profit margins game! The Japanese majors - Honda, Toyota, and Suzuki have always shied away from offering us their latest and greatest.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 13:17   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly!

That's the range, and although you may argue that the City offers significant (depends on the driver too) performance there - there is no denying that it can't match the turbo petrol in this zone, where all of them produce their peak torque outputs.

Take the Honda engines only for example - the 145Nm of the 1.5 iVTec that builds only linearly till the peak of 4500pm v/s 200Nm all the way from 2000 - 4500 rpm in the 1.0 iVTec Turbo - and you have the answer which one would be far more punchy in our regular driving styles.
Quite likely that a turbo petrol developing peak torque in lower RPMs would offer better shove, and the 1 liter turbo would be a welcome addition to the range. However, I was only replying to the statement that the IVTEC starts performing above 4500 RPM - in my view, not so sure about that.

Of course, fully agree that there is a degree of subjectivity involved, because what you count as worthwhile performance may well be of a higher standard than what levels of performance makes me happy. As for me, the iVTEC offers more than enough performance at city or highway speeds at low and mid range RPMs, and has not yet left me wanting for more.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 14th February 2020 at 13:20.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 13:42   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is sadly just pure a profit margins game! The Japanese majors - Honda, Toyota, and Suzuki have always shied away from offering us their latest and greatest.
And when they did (Suzuki with Boosterjet / 1.6 DDiS / Honda with Accord V6) - they did it so terribly wrong (imports!) and half heartedly - the sales were low & then the company used low sales as a reason to pull the plug!

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th February 2020 at 14:08.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 16:00   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Contrary to rumours, the fifth generation Honda City is scheduled to be launched sometime in April 2020.
I think this one will mark the "Least anticipated car launch of 2020". There is barely any interest in the upcoming car. Very similar case with the Verna too. I guess its a reflection on how aggressively the SUVs have eaten into C Sedan space.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 22:48   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I think this one will mark the "Least anticipated car launch of 2020". There is barely any interest in the upcoming car. Very similar case with the Verna too. I guess its a reflection on how aggressively the SUVs have eaten into C Sedan space.
Its understandable. The current one is overpriced. I believe most people are already anticipating Honda to launch it atleast 1-1.5 lakh premium which makes it a very hard sell. When you can get a Creta, Seltos in 15+ lac range it's hard for City to sell out. I am myself looking to replace my Honda city but the way Honda has increased the prices not too keen on new City.
Old 17th February 2020, 18:36   #270
BHPian

Considering an inevitable price hike with the new City, Honda might continue selling the SV variant of the current City along with the new one.

The information comes from an ex-colleague, who works as a Territory Sales Manager for Honda cars in East.

However, I would still take it with a pinch of salt.
shankha007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks