Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2023, 22:31   #2926
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Hi everyone, hope y'all are doing well.

We have the VX CVT variant, which has been a great vehicle for my parents. However, I ran into bit of an issue.

As I took the car for it's first annual service, I noticed a gummy residue on some plastic parts in the engine bay, further inspection made it clear that the A.S.S. had sprayed some rat repellant solution over the plastic parts (e.g. intake, air filter housing, any major cable harnesses like one's running to MAF sensor, ignition coils, ECU etc.)

This had happened during the 5k km inspection (i.e. the second free service), at the time it seemed a non issue to my parents, but however now the sprayed areas have developed a gummy residue which just attracts dust and overall just spoils the entire fresh engine bay look that I would want from a new car (ODO is at just 6.5k).

I tried rubbing with some IPA, which worked but its very tedious and in some areas the residue just won't come off, at least not without spoiling the plastic underneath.

Q) In your opinion, what would be the next best step ?

P.S.: I plan to take it to the detailer at the 2 year mark, but thinking of all this unwanted gunk sitting in the engine bay is making me lose sleep.
ibisbrew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 19:12   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post

Here are my top 20 observations in no particular order. [list=1][*]The build quality, fit and finish of interiors are VERY poor compared to similar priced cars.
[*]The whole thing rattles so much. The main culprits for me are dashboard, headliner and sunroof, all of which rattles so much.
[*]I understand this isn't a luxury car, but nothing has rubber or felt lining so that also adds to the rattling.

All said and done, if I had to redo this all over again, I'll choose one of the 20 lakh compact SUVs. I honestly regret buying this car and will sell once I get an opportunity.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but as a first gen Honda City VTEC owner, the tryst after 25 years has been very, let's say unromantic.

It would be quite hard to place my hard-earned money on City while upgrading. I am currently on the hunt for a car under 15 lakhs. City was on my list (the 2023 version). However, your comments are a bit scary. I mean rattling issues and fuel economy seems to be disheartening. I plan to use my car for a minimum of 6 years and clock close to 1 lakh KMs, so selling off is not an option for me. From your words, I think I would rather jump in a well than buy the city based on the current build quality of Honda.

PS: I am currently using a VW Polo Petrol (7 years, 1 Lakh Plus KMS, not a single rattle or squeak from anywhere in the cabin)
Old 25th February 2023, 19:44   #2928
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I want to put ambient lighting in my ZX. Heard of cardi k3, but somewhat apprehensive about opening up the car for wiring etc. Anyone with experience in this and recommendations? Where to get it done in NCR? thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 26th February 2023 at 08:15. Reason: Grammar and extra dots
MountainGuy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th February 2023, 23:36   #2929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
I think I would rather jump in a well than buy the city based on the current build quality of Honda.

PS: I am currently using a VW Polo Petrol (7 years, 1 Lakh Plus KMS, not a single rattle or squeak from anywhere in the cabin)
The City has its own share of flaws and the quality has definitely degraded when compared to the earlier days, but it doesn't mean that this generation is worse. For this price you must compare all that it gives from other cars. Don't think just from a driver perspective. Think about other passengers, reliability, comfort, cost of maintenance too. Every car has a problem. You must know which of those flaws can you live with.

In my opinion when a sub 4 m car is selling more than 15 lakhs, City great VFM for what it provides.
CarCraze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 23:58   #2930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post

All said and done, if I had to redo this all over again, I'll choose one of the 20 lakh compact SUVs. I honestly regret buying this car and will sell once I get an opportunity.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but as a first gen Honda City VTEC owner, the tryst after 25 years has been very, let's say unromantic.
Its like you almost wrote out exactly what i would have said as well

I agree with each and every point you have made. My roofliner rattles like a rattle snake! Am thinking of upgrading my mono amp and putting in a better subwoofer to rid me of the rattles which are bloody irritating. Do i regret buying it, i would say no, as that time the virtus was no where. If someone asked me to do it over in todays time. I would say a big hell no! Eyes closed virtus anyday everyday, drove a friends car last week and that car is a different league, if you love to drive. Thought of selling this and getting a Virtus, but to my utter surprise the resale market for the city in delhi is pathetic. So i am going to hold onto to it till it falls apart on its own, 2.5 years of ownership odo stands at 53k kms might hit 1 lakh around the 5th year.

However if i was to pick a car for chauffer duty i would still go for a city vx manual over ze germans.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 05:17   #2931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCraze View Post
The City has its own share of flaws and the quality has definitely degraded when compared to the earlier days, ....For this price you must compare all that it gives from other cars. ....You must know which of those flaws can you live with.

In my opinion when a sub 4 m car is selling more than 15 lakhs, City great VFM for what it provides.
I agree, VFM is one thing that tilts things in favor of the City. In fact, even the base V variant has all the essential features including Alloy Wheel, Cruise Control, Automatic Climate Control, and 4 Air Bags. But the question is whether Honda is getting the basics right. A squeaking and rattling roof liner and dashboard plastic are totally unacceptable, it is something you have to live with on a daily basis, and every single minute you are in the car as a driver or passenger you would regret the purchase. It is not something you can ignore especially when you are used to spending time in a hatchback that is so well put together or rather got the basics right.

Last edited by Sid13 : 26th February 2023 at 05:20. Reason: Adding a missed out feature
Sid13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 08:36   #2932

Quote:
I too have not so good experience with Capital Honda (though its OMR branch for me). The service guys didn't treat my car good and left with scratches, yet they don't accept that its their mistake. I am also trying to find a good service center. Let this forum know if you find one good enough and also if you get any response for your mails to Honda
I can relate to this After a horrendous experience with the Meenambakkam service centre and the dishonest and arrogant response of their service manager I was on the lookout for a suitable alternative to Capital Honda. Sadly, the other authorised service centres have poor ratings. After deferring service as long as possible I decided to try Motorheads on ECR. Turned out to be a great experience - transparent, competent and customer friendly. Would recommend them without any hesitation as I have been their customer for over 2 years
bobcray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 10:13   #2933
BHPian

Quote:
I too have not so good experience with Capital Honda (though its OMR branch for me). The service guys didn't treat my car good and left with scratches, yet they don't accept that its their mistake. I am also trying to find a good service center. Let this forum know if you find one good enough and also if you get any response for your mails to Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcray View Post
I can relate to this After a horrendous experience with the Meenambakkam service centre and the dishonest and arrogant response of their service manager I was on the lookout for a suitable alternative to Capital Honda. Sadly, the other authorised service centres have poor ratings. After deferring service as long as possible I decided to try Motorheads on ECR. Turned out to be a great experience - transparent, competent and customer friendly. Would recommend them without any hesitation as I have been their customer for over 2 years
Agree with both of you. I serviced my car in Capital Honda only once(the first service) having bought my 5th Gen City from them. After a lot of time on calls with other service centers I’ve settled down on Maansarover Honda in Arcot Road. The last 3 services have been with them. I have renewed my insurance with them twice now. I’ve been very satisfied with them. I usually trust a service center based on how the service manager responds to my requests. In the case of Maansarover Honda Mr. Bhaskaran has been always helpful. So even though Maansarover Honda is about 20 Kms from my home whereas Capital Honda OMR is just 8 Kms, I make the trip every time.

Regards,
Lsjey
lsjey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 12:49   #2934
BHPian

Hi everyone, is there a way to use wired android auto and USB drive for music at the same time in city zx? Let's say if one wants to listen to usb pen drive music but also want Google maps on the infotainment screen of the city at the same time. USB and Android auto are only working with the bottom USB slot (of the two slots provided in the city). Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 26th February 2023, 12:58   #2935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
A squeaking and rattling roof liner and dashboard plastic are totally unacceptable, it is something you have to live with on a daily basis, and every single minute you are in the car as a driver or passenger you would regret the purchase. It is not something you can ignore especially when you are used to spending time in a hatchback that is so well put together or rather got the basics right.
I am not sure on the kind of roads you drive and how harsh you are when it comes to tackling potholes. I have a year old City with 13K odo driven in Kerala roads that is yet to rattle. I drive it frequently from Aleppey to Thrissur and city roads in Ernakulam. If I have to pick any complaints, it will be the clarity of rear view camera, the door sheet metal thickness and the paint thickness/poor scratch resistance. Mechanically I am yet to find a fault.
sreerknair is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 13:04   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
I am not sure on the kind of roads you drive and how harsh you are when it comes to tackling potholes.
I don't own a City but was thinking of it as my next car. If you read the thread backwards you could see that more than one user has complained about roofliner rattle and similar issues. If that's to be taken of face value, and reading it along with your comments it still point towards consistency issue in quality of material/fitment. I would anyway wait for the facelift to hit showrooms, test-drive one and then take a call. City is decent VFM to ignore.

PS: sales rep has confirmed about change of rear camera quality in upcoming version. However he was not much positive about quality of the screen of entertainment unit.

As you said doors feel flimsy compared to a VW or even that of a Suzuki Brezza. Also paint quality leave much to be desired for.

Last edited by Sid13 : 26th February 2023 at 13:08. Reason: Adding more..
Sid13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 13:24   #2937
BHPian

All Honda fleet at home here and the Jazz 2017 rattles the most from the lower glovebox area. It's annoying and can wreck my mood. The car is mainly used within the city and Bangalore's roads in most places are absolutely trash and it's called the "Silicon Valley"! I don't abuse any of my cars at all and extremely gentle over humps but there are plenty of unmarked humps and nasty potholes which are almost impossible to avoid. The Civic 2019 rattles occasionally as well in the dashboard area and BR-V 2016 is surprisingly the best. Almost zero rattling! At the end of the day, beautiful machines being forced to run on horrendous terrain. Any idea how do the real Toyotas(Innova Crysta, Corolla Altis) fare?
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 20:11   #2938
BHPian

Guys, have an urgent question for people here. I was driving back to Gurgaon from Jaipur on the new highway, a stone got flicked up from the tyre of the car in front of me and cracked my windshield.
My car is about 6 months old.

Will the dealer/Bajaj give me the insurance claim for this? If not, is there a way to convince them to replace the glass under insurance? Need your help and opinions.

I anyways have my 6m service due soon, and am planning to get an appointment for this week.

Photo below (Ignore the dusty windshield):

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20230226_171413.jpg
LordSpymaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 23:16   #2939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
Guys, have an urgent question for people here. I was driving back to Gurgaon from Jaipur on the new highway, a stone got flicked up from the tyre of the car in front of me and cracked my windshield.
My car is about 6 months old.

Will the dealer/Bajaj give me the insurance claim for this? If not, is there a way to convince them to replace the glass under insurance? Need your help and opinions.

I anyways have my 6m service due soon, and am planning to get an appointment for this week.

Photo below (Ignore the dusty windshield):

Attachment 2423166
Ofcourse. Bajaj Allianz will cover this. It total bill amount for this will be around 10,000. Insurance will cover it. If you have zero dep then you only need to pay 1000. By the way, how was the experience on the new expressway? Is it really worthy for the tag of expressway? Or is it just like Meerut expressway which is worse than regular old highways?
Learner is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 13:20   #2940

Hi Guys,

I own Honda City 5G ZX CVT.

As its well established that the camera resolution quality is pathetic, i am looking to upgrade both the rear camera and lane asisst camera.

My parking area is very dimly lit and the camera is useless in night time.

Are there any plug and play cameras available to do this? OR will i have to change the complete camera system?

TIA.
pranavb88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks