Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2023, 17:52   #2986
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity of the auto headlights? I find that they turn on even if I drive under a metro station for like 5 seconds...
LordSpymaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 11:30   #2987

Hello Members.
Since last few days I am getting a strange feeling while driving the 5th gen City. I have this feeling that the car is tilted on left while accelerating. So for background. We had travelled outstation with boot completely loaded and with 5 people in the car. When we stopped on the road side, the tyre got punctured. Thanks to the warning system I got to know immediately about the same.
We went to a local shop to get the puncture fixed. One thing is the person there lifted the car (for tyre removal) without removing the luggage, secondly he substituted the right front tyre with left back tyre.
Possible since then I having this feeling of the car being little tilted on the left while driving. When I googled this I came to know that this might be a complex issue like having some issue suspension or it can be a trivial one like the tyre pressure mismatch.
Also to mention I did not yet report this to service centre as I am myself not able to ascertain if it is just my mind or there is a real tilt.
Any thoughts on how should I confirm if there really is a tilt and secondly what do you think the issue can be if indeed there is a tilt.
Old 24th April 2023, 12:13   #2988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetklkrn View Post
Hello Members.
I have this feeling that the car is tilted on left while accelerating.
Any thoughts on how should I confirm if there really is a tilt and secondly what do you think the issue can be if indeed there is a tilt.
Take the car to a reliable Wheel alignment center and do a balancing and alignment. That will address your concern. Honda ASS may not be the best place to do the alignment though.
sreerknair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 15:39   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth93 View Post
Has anybody tried installing the relay for the auto folding orvms on the V variant? Is it possible to get thia done from ASS or we need to get this done from a FNG?
I have researched and found that this is very simple to install. Many "accessories" shops in delhi have it and works flawlessly.

I am not sure when you can source it from though, i am interested too. I have the VX.
Old 24th April 2023, 16:19   #2990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetklkrn View Post
Hello Members.
Since last few days I am getting a strange feeling while driving the 5th gen City. I have this feeling that the car is tilted on left while accelerating.
Interesting. Next time when you face this issue please check if other vehicles ahead of you also seem tilted. This tilt should be prominent in SUVs because of their height. Also notice when you leave the steering wheel then does the car move in the straight line or not. One more thing that you can do: check the gap between the top of the tyres and fenders. Both the sides should have same gap.

I have also felt the same. Atleast 4-5 times, because of this tilt, I had to stop the car and look for any loss of air in the tyres and check the gap between the fenders and the top of the tyres with my fingers. Each time I found the tyre pressure to be ok and the gap to be same on both the sides.

Then what is the reason? I have one possible explanation which might not be true as I am not much knowledgeable. Generally the wide roads are tilted towards the left so that rainwater can run off the tarmac quickly. And Honda City's completely flat dashboard will make you notice it if it is not horizontal.
Learner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 09:51   #2991

Hello Sedans | Flashback

On one fine late evening we were driving on the Hebbal highway and I popped a curious question to my wife “Honda dekhna hai kya? City?” Hina gave me a look. Didn’t we decide that we won’t go for a Sedan again? But of course she is not the one to stick to her words and neither I. We took a U-turn and headed to the showroom to take a spin. We saw the new City in flesh and Oh boy! It looked stunning! The DRLs, the long stance, headlights and the red colour. I think both of us were thinking the same thing. We convinced the manager to give us a test drive since it was pretty late in the evening and usually most showrooms do not allow test drives after dark.

The Test Drive (Read the game changing drive)

We sat in the car and as always my wife took the passenger seat beside me leaving the sales guy clueless and sad. We could see how eager he was for a sales pitch while on a TD.
The test drive was in the Automatic ZX variant and it had leather seats and boy this was our first taste of luxury sitting in an executive sedan with seats so delicious. We were half sold on the comfort level itself.

Keys tucked away in one of those cup holders, pressed the clutch, ignition on and boy! The Ivtec just woke up but was silent as hell. You knew there is a storm coming. As I accelerated my way out of the showroom slowly the sporty sound from the engine bought a wide smile. We looked at each other and revved past the signal. This car was nothing like we had imagined. It was impeccable from the get go, comfortable and well made leather seats, planted ride with that beautiful sporty sound from the engine. We came back to the showroom took the price list and discussed the different variants that were on offer. I must say both of us were mighty impressed by the fact that even the base variant had so many good features. We were all hail about how Honda is thinking differently etc. Safety was our top priority and the base model had 4 airbags, traction control, VSM, Esp, you name it.

Back into our Dzire and we could immediately notice the differences. Safe to say with the city, we now had a strong contender and challenger to the many compact Suv/s and Suv/s we tested. We got back to the table the next day and started to finalise our shortlists. We were laughing and being laughed at by our neighbours for going back on our words as we narrated to them our experience with the new Honda City. But, truth be told the Honda City was an unbeatable top choice. The only thing going against it was the ground clearance. We compared this to our existing Dzire which also had a similar GC and we thought we haven’t scratched the car even once so I think we should be good with the City too. (Little did we know about the soft suspensions would actually mock the GC on paper)

With Nexon, Jeep Compass, Duster, Creta and Seltos out we now only had to choose between XUV 300 and Honda City. We called both vehicles for test again to our homes and to also show it around to family and friends. Everyone instantly liked the boxy design of the XUV300 but, we all agreed that the boot space on offer was way to small. Next stop was Honda City. The test drive vehicle was an Automatic and the long wheelbase was immediately liked by parents. Monster of a legroom space in the rear, big comfy seats and we could sit 3 behind somewhat comfortably. It was better than most cars we tested and our existing Dzire as well. Boot space was LARGE and could gulp down luggages for 5 pax easily. The test drive was great too. We were allowed to take a longer drive and with 5 people on. The engine revved and roared with those sporty notes and that sealed the deal for me. I wanted to experience the IVTEC for a lonnnnng time now and this was it!

The nods

Family sat down for a discussion, neighbours sat down for a discussion and everyone unanimously voted for the City. The next few days were spent scouting for best offers and availability check. We wanted to go for the manual base variant and pricing offered was competitive across all dealers that we spoke to. Everyone promised delivery in 15 days. I happen to consult a neighbour in our society who had just bought a Honda City 5G automatic and he suggested me to talk to Whitefield Honda as he was able to get a massive 90-1L discount on the 2020 manufactured model. (Yes, We were already in 2021 now) I rang up the executive of Whitefiled Honda, scheduled an appointment to check out the red Honda city V Manual that he had in stock. They had got the car at the showroom for us to visit and check.

There she was. She was looking beautiful in red. I don’t think any other colour brings out the flamboyance of the Honda City.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210117_123735.jpg
The front is just so drool worthy

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210117_123950.jpg
The tail lamps reminds me of a Beamer

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210117_113619.jpg
The beautiful 1.5L IVTEC

We checked the car thoroughly inside out and gave us our nod. Finalised the pricing and went home after booking the car. I think we made a great choice!

The following week we got all the payments and registration done and the showroom confirmed the delivery date. Meanwhile we sold our Dzire to Spinny. We were decently happy with the price they offered considering it was a MH registered car. The other dealers were seemed to just not value a well maintained car. Anyways, Spinny transferred the money instantly and there she drove away leaving behind many beautiful memories.

The D Day

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210207_175155.jpg

We reached Whitefiled Honda by 11:30. I and my wife could not control our happiness and it was visible on our faces as the auto took the final U-turn for the showroom. We were greeted by our executive Mr. Lohith, who had been extremely cordial and well mannered throughout the entire process. Our car was getting ready and we could not resist but get behind the wheel as soon as possible. I finished the documentation formalities and headed to do a small pooja at the showroom. Distributed the ladoos to the staff and we sat down one final time for an onboarding session of the car and also the Honda Connect app. I was least interested and nodded my head at everything. I was just wanting to get out of the showroom with the car.
  • Pooja done.
  • Documentation done
  • Sweets done
  • All that jazz and app done

Dad flagged off by flooring a coconut and vroom! We drove out with our red beauty. The drive was fantastic. The gear shifts were smooth and the clutch was extremely light. It was so easy that I never felt like I was driving a manual. We reached home and after our lunch I and the wifey went for a spin. The sporty sound of the engine every time I revved it was making me fall in love with her over and over again.

Ownership review

The car is just great in the city but comes alive on the highways. You only come to understand the real power of the 1.5 Ivtec when you take this beauty out on the highway. We nicknamed it Makhanu since it’s so comfortable and drives just like a makhan on the highways.

Driving in the city is great but, It’s a long car so I had to get use to the length of it. However, it did not take me my much time getting used to it. What took time though was taking her down my office basement. I spent few weeks trying to find hacks and ways to understand the curve of the basement and once I figured that it was a cakewalk. The manual is easy and fun to drive motor. Clutch is light and it doesn’t stresses you out. Somehow I never felt tired driving this manual. Gear shifts are smooth and easy to slot and they are matched perfectly well to the engine.

What I love about my Honda City

• Looks -Especially the long bonnet line (Almost looks like a Beamer from the side and behind)
  • Headlight design - even the base variant’s headlight layout looks elegant.
  • Tail light - the look gorgeous at night
  • Suspensions - Comfortable as hell. Doesn’t let you feel the potholes. At all. Period.
  • Cabin looks and is spacious by all means
  • Driver seat is very comfortable and so are the rear seats. (I did Blr-Goa without getting feeling tired)
  • Boot space - one of the largest in the segment.
  • Safety features in the base model
  • 1.5 Ivtec - Jitna bole utna kam hai ye engine ke liye. Beautifully tuned and effortless pickup.
  • Planted on the highway with two people. Gets a little bit bouncy for the rear passengers though only at higher speeds.
  • Air Conditioning - The AC is one of the best in the segment. It cools down the cabin pretty quickly and in the evening it feels like an iglooo. However the rear ac is just about okay but since the performance of the main ac is great it doesn’t bother so much in the rear.

What I don’t

• Ground clearance - I haven’t scratched the surface much but I cannot take her out of the city on unpredictable roads because of the low ground clearance. There have been enough instances where we had to think thrice before venturing into an uneven (ubad khabad) road.
  • Below average ICE: The touch screen panel is weirdly positioned and it’s not one of the best when it comes to the placement. It’s catches a lot of sunlight which makes it difficult to view it at times.
    It’s slow and basic and the touch screen is just about okay. Speakers are okayish and lacks base. The car doesn’t come with a subwoofer or tweeters so you only have those 4 speakers trying the level best to give you a decent sound quality (5/10)
  • Turning radius on hills - the major reason I don’t take the city to the hills because of its long bonnet line. It was a nightmare for me to drive upto ooty from Masinagudi. I literally was shaking as I could not judge the turn on the hairpins. (I came down halfway after reaching the checkpost. Just did not have the guts to go up further)
  • Engine power on hills - I feel this engine is best suited for highways and city runs. I fell powerless on steep inclines and there were time I felt the engine would stall midway. Maybe I am not the greatest drivers on the hills but I really did not feel confident in the city while driving on steep inclines. (My 1.2L Ford Freestyle fared much better)
  • Build quality - While it had all the electronic safety features. After driving for a year I felt the car was pretty light in it’s weight. The sheets were also just about better than Maruti but I could dent it if I hit with my fist.

Issues

I did not face any issue whatsoever during the two years of ownership. It’s reliable and a fantastic car for the city and the highway runs (at least for me). I am yet to do my 20k service and probably will skip it since I am close to seeing her off soon.

Verdict and what’s next

The city is a fantastic car for someone who is looking to upgrade from a hatchback or a compact sedan. It’s a great car to have if your majority runs are in the city and highways. If you look for comfort over gadgets this car is meant for you and If you truly like revving the engine the Honda City won’t disappoint you either. It’s sporty, it’s fun and it is a practical family car.

Some more pictures of our beloved Makhanu
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210207_180911.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210207_181252.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210227_182548.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210408_184338.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210207_174238.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210207_180824.jpg
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20211009_18053701.jpg

We are close to finalising our yet another car and I shall keep y’all updated about our adventure. 
This time we are seriously considering buying a pre-worshiped car which ticks all our boxes as mentioned earlier and I really hope we are not disappointed.

Until then, I hope you have enjoyed my debut ownership review writeup. I’d love to hear you guys out and really looking forward to your suggestions.

On the side note: I am from Bangalore and I’d love to connect with fellow teambhp members for those weekly drive out and Sunday morning breakfast drives. Please feel free to HMU

Cheers,
Ashwin

Last edited by Aditya : 1st May 2023 at 04:57. Reason: Image order corrected
ashwinpalkar is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 01:58   #2992
BHPian

Hi Nice car with the RS look....appreciate if you could post more interior pictures to understand how much difference is there compared to the Indian model.

Thanks & regards,
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
My little contribution to this thread.

I live in Thailand, and given the absence of quality automotive forums (in English) here, tbhp as always, came to my rescue while deciding to buy the Fifth gen Honda City.

This is the pre-facelift version as dealers do not have any clue as to when the facelift will be launched here (rumors being second half of the year!).

Some differences from the Indian version of the Fifth gen Honda City
  • There is only 1 engine + gearbox option available: 1.0L Turbo Vtec + CVT This is a fun to drive engine, with loads of torque at lower RPMs. Reminds me of the Old Swift VDI back in India
  • This segment of cars are called Eco cars in Thailand, and are mandated to have engine capacity less than 1200cc
  • Honda City is more of an entry level sedan. So, misses many features compared to the Indian variant - Sunroofs, Left side park assist etc.

Other cars that were considered included : New Yaris Ativ, New Nissan Almera (Sunny), Mazda 2. Given the Eco car classification in Thailand, all the above came with ~1.2L NA engines, except the Nissan Almera (which also comes with a 1.0L Turbo engine).

Selected the most fun to drive car out of the lot. The suspension also seems to be tuned differently here as it mostly rides flat on highways and feels a bit stiff in the city. Not European flat, but does not seem to be as floating around like I read in Indian reviews (have not driven the Indian version yet). My variant (SV) is one below the top variant (RS), and comes with 185/60 R15 tires as standard. I asked around a lot of tire dealerships to upgrade as soon as driving out, but nobody was willing to give me any cashback for current tires, and were willing to only give me price for discarded tires. Seems like this practice doesn't exist here, and I will have to wait to run these out before upgrading.

Some more interesting facts about the car purchase process here:
  • Most dealers advertise On-road price in sales brochures. There is some margin for discounts/negotiations
  • Instead of discounts, they offer accessories, and lots of it. I got Honda certified front dashcams, emergency kit, floor mats, car cover, underbody rust coating, fuel card for THB 5000, 3M Ceramic sun film all around. Towards the end of the negotiations, the salesman just asked me what other accessories I needed - I literally did not remember what else I could ask for and closed the deal. Regretted later not asking for the RS kit
  • Most dealers get commissions from banks, and would throw more offers at you, if you go the finance route. Deals are much less if you buy on cash
  • Interest rates on finance are extremely low. My interest rate is 0.99% p.a. for a 4yr tenure. This combined with more freebies on finance swinged my decision from an all cash purchase to finance

Attaching some pictures (Switched to the RS front kit at THB 6500 a week after delivery)
Old 30th April 2023, 10:27   #2993
BHPian

Hi. Congratulations on your new ride and wish you happy adventures and fuss free rides.

Would like to share my personal experience w.r.t points made under Cons namely power in the hills and turning radius. And this comes from owning two Hondas with 1.5 + CVT combo and a combined mileage of 1.4 lac kms , having made multiple trips to hills with steep slopes, hair pin bends etc. ( documented earlier on various threads in this forum)

The 1.5 NA IVTEC has very good low end torque and Hondas have sharp steering with perfect weight and good feedback. All of these combine to make it a good car to drive in the hills ( I have a BRV which has decent handling as well). My sense ( and please don't take it otherwise), it could have something to do with your driving style esp. since you drive a manual transmission.

Last edited by FAIAAA : 30th April 2023 at 10:28. Reason: Formatting, Additional text
FAIAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 11:52   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpalkar View Post
[h3]
There she was. She was looking beautiful in red. I don’t think any other colour brings out the flamboyance of the Honda City.

I fell powerless on steep inclines and there were time I felt the engine would stall midway. Maybe I am not the greatest drivers on the hills but I really did not feel confident in the city while driving on steep inclines.
Congratulations for the scintillating car. The Red color indeed looks best in the city, great choice.

I don't agree with second statement of hill drive. City perform flawless in hill runs. I had driven in multi hill terrain from western ghats to twisty curves in Uttarakhand, never felt any powerless feeling. May be you need to anticipate and change gears in hills according to the slopes.

All the best, do update the thread regularly.
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 13:03   #2995

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpalkar View Post

Hello Sedans | Flashback

On one fine late evening we were driving on the Hebbal highway and I popped a curious question to my wife “Honda dekhna hai kya? City?” Hina gave me a look. Didn’t we decide that we won’t go for a Sedan again? But of course she is not the one to stick to her words and neither I. We took a U-turn and headed to the showroom to take a spin. We saw the new City in flesh and Oh boy! It looked stunning! The DRLs, the long stance, headlights and the red colour. I think both of us were thinking the same thing. We convinced the manager to give us a test drive since it was pretty late in the evening and usually most showrooms do not allow test drives

Cheers,
Ashwin

Hi Ashwin... Hearty Congratulations to you for a new ride.

I am also in same boat. I have a question for you.

When you performed PDF, how much KM were clocked by your car?
Please let me know.

I have booked ZX CVT ; allocated March Model to me. I found it already had a run of 67 KM, which is difficult to digest for me. Hence seeking an opinion.
parag_bandkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 15:43   #2996

Quote:
Originally Posted by parag_bandkar View Post
Hi Ashwin... Hearty Congratulations to you for a new ride.

I am also in same boat. I have a question for you.

When you performed PDF, how much KM were clocked by your car?
Please let me know.

I have booked ZX CVT ; allocated March Model to me. I found it already had a run of 67 KM, which is difficult to digest for me. Hence seeking an opinion.
Congratulations Parag! I think it was around 25-30km. This depends on the distance between stockyard and dealership. Generally what I have observed on this forum is around 30-50km is fine. But, ask the dealer of why the odo is 65km and if you find it satisfactory I don't think it should be a problem Happy miles ahead!
ashwinpalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 20:04   #2997

thank you Ashwin for response. It provided some assurance to my mind

Distance between showroom and Stockyard is not that great. Approx 400+ meters.

Car is of Mar 2023 production based on VIN. Hence my assumption is, Car which allocated me may be used as "Showroom Display car across 3 showrooms around City" and KMs accumulated. I may be wrong but as we all know that we can not confirm.

I asked small drive (400 Meters) as a part of PDI which denied but salesperson was not able to answer counter question satisfactorily that "How 67 KMs accumulated?"

Between Red color really looks great. I was not able to see it in person (as no car was available in Stock Yard).

It certainly looks beautiful; photos are amazing too.

Thank you once again. Enjoy many miles ahead!
parag_bandkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 07:34   #2998
BHPian

Quote:

Distance between showroom and Stockyard is not that great. Approx 400+ meters. Hence my assumption is, Car which allocated me may be used as "Showroom Display car across 3 showrooms around City" and KMs accumulated.
When I bought mine last year, it had been driven 7-8km. I even saw the truck in which the car was brought to the showroom. Since Brigade Honda has their stock on top of the showroom there was no additional miles. But in you case it seems to have been driven across showrooms and is quite common I’d say.
ellip5i5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 12:57   #2999
BHPian

Quote:

Car is of Mar 2023 production based on VIN. Hence my assumption is, Car which allocated me may be used as "Showroom Display car across 3 showrooms around City" and KMs accumulated…..
You should look closer at this point. A March manufactured car sold in April end / May beginning. Sure, I understand the variants difference and stock being available, but this big a difference isn’t there for the facelifted model.
For reference, I booked the City on 3rd April, got invoiced and allotted on 7 April (due to public holidays in between), and still got an April manufactured model.

To your second point of Kms run, mine had 2 kms run during PDI (pic attached). Of course, at the delivery time it was 27 kms, as the stockyard is about 24 kms from the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-c45223d10fa24acc98d0b6c1cbe8c01a.jpeg  

Crazy_cars_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:53   #3000
BHPian

I want to upgrade fog lamps of my Zx. Is it possible to just replace the tubes ? If so what type of bulb / tube to get ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks