Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 10:27   #541
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post

•No electric adjustments for driver seat or ventilated seats
(Anyways found it useless in my Seltos for not having memory seats)
Seem to disagree with you here. They are not useless without memory settings its very easy to find the driving position using electric adjustments unlike manual adjustments where we have to adjust the seats before driving.
Old 1st July 2020, 10:57   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Seem to disagree with you here. They are not useless without memory settings its very easy to find the driving position using electric adjustments unlike manual adjustments where we have to adjust the seats before driving.
IMO manual seat adjustment doesn't take much time and effort. I wouldn't want to pay a penny extra for this feature.
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 11:13   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
So went through few of the reviews of the new Honda City and here is something that I would like to inform you all:
====
I would add more points if I could find them.

Abhishek.
Well put together

In addition to the above changes, there is also:-
1. Newly designed AC/blower unit
2. New instrument cluster with more features(G-Meter)
3. Bigger Sunroof.

Regarding the looks, I feel most of us feel its 4th gen+ because there is not a drastic change in looks and car looks like cross breed b/w 4th gen city and the civic.(Honda has played safe with the design)

but on paper, the sheer number and type of changes clearly suggest its a new car, not a cosmetic facelift.
Rakmo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 11:24   #544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakmo View Post
Regarding the looks, I feel most of us feel its 4th gen+ because there is not a drastic change in looks and car looks like cross breed b/w 4th gen city and the civic.(Honda has played safe with the design)

but on paper, the sheer number and type of changes clearly suggest its a new car, not a cosmetic facelift.
Not really.

Multiple reviews comment it is the same platform as the 4th generation. Looks like they just updated the same platform for more rigidity (20% as claimed in one review), and this is not an all-new platform.

There is nothing much to suggest otherwise - Dimensions are larger due to longer front and rear overhangs. Rear legroom is 7mm larger due to thinner front seats. Wheelbase is same, engine bay and placement of mechanicals are almost identical and as a 4th generation owner mentioned above - the rear doors and door pads seem to be identical as well.

None of this makes it bad though - it seems to actually be a good replacement of the existing City (which is already priced at a premium). Hopefully Honda doesnt try to price the new one any higher - to make the two generations co-exist.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st July 2020 at 11:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 11:29   #545
BHPian

The 5th gen Honda city everything depends on the price point. The I-Vtec is a good engine it is more refined now, peppier down the rpm definitely better drivability but softer suspension might disappoint enthusiasts like us.
Styling wise, Th rear is BMW inspired while I don't like that chrome fascia in the front but that's how mass market likes it. I would prefer it blacked out. It always been a stylish car & hit a soft spot in the hearts of those have driven the 1st gen I-Vtec which had the looks of Fast furious civics & that sweet motor.
GT Racer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 12:26   #546
BHPian

As many mentioned here, it's more of an evolution of the previous gen.
The things I don't like are
- Puny tires- a Honda trait
- No wheel-well cladding for a premium car! (as projected)
- No cladding on boot door
- Low res screen when compared to rivals
- Front overhang - overdrive review shows it clearly. More chances of scraping the bumper at ramps

Otherwise a good package overall which can be an instant hit if Honda prices it well.
Is a manual top end with 6 airbags available unlike Hyundai where they give a proper top end variant only in auto?
Old 1st July 2020, 12:48   #547
BHPian

Its a facelift in a segment which is not only competing with the same segment cars but also Compact SUVs. The segment has been revived in the last month with the facelift launches of Rapid, Verna and now the City. The Yaris and the Vento come last in my list.

For me, the new City makes perfect sense above others and it has come at the right time. My observations:
-Looks are subjective. I can't complain about anything except the garish Chrome nose.
-Space is the best in the segment. Back seat shouldn't be a problem for people who like to be driven around.
-Honda Service isn't a problem in our city.
-IVTEC is reliable and no complains about the engines. As per the reviews, the diesel is livable even if it's not the most refined. But only Verna has better refinement. Rest all are the same.
-No turbo petrol like competition. But IVTEC has it's own strengths.
-All necessary safety and other features included.

It is a well rounded package. Now waiting for the prices and Honda shouldn't get greedy here. They have to compete with Rapid Rider and also the Seltos and Cretas.
Old 1st July 2020, 14:06   #548
Senior - BHPian

My only issue with Honda in the City design is why on earth they have continued to provide a miserly 40 litre fuel tank? There's acres of space in the cabin and the boot. Surely some of it could have been carved out to increase the volume by say 10 litres?
Old 1st July 2020, 14:21   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Reviewers seem a bit underwhelmed?

Powerdrift especially says something as below -

Hope Honda doesn't become too greedy with the pricing.
It's Honda India my friend, they will be super greedy on the pricing. Sadly India seems to bring out the worst in Toyota, Honda and Fiat. It's like they can't ever read our market right and get their strategies straight.

VW / Skoda I will give grace marks for at least trying sincerely
Old 1st July 2020, 14:29   #550
BHPian

Between the 1L GDI DCT and the 1.5 vTec CVT, I'm leaning towards the Verna; I hardly use the back-seat, the HUD on the city looks kinda tacky and cooled seats seem way more useful than a G-force meter. Though the lanewatch camera, door-mounted OVRMs and full-sized alloys in the City are total wins.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 14:36   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
- No cladding on boot door
There is cladding provided on the boot door. No cladding is present on the boot ceiling, just like the verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
Is a manual top end with 6 airbags available unlike Hyundai where they give a proper top end variant only in auto?
Usually it's the other way right. Hyundai previously used to not offer the automatic variants in the top sx(o) trim. From whatever I have seen in the reviews, Honda has offered the top zx variant with all the engine and transmission options available.
klgiridhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 14:39   #552
BHPian

One thing is for sure that the new generation City will carry a substantial premium over the 4th generation. Otherwise, there is no logic in selling both the generations together as almost all customers will definitely end up buying the new generation at the same price tag. Now, Honda can do either of the two:
  1. Keep the prices of the 4th generation the same as before while up-charging the 5th substantially. This may be a disaster. The City is already on the expensive end and doing this will certainly take away potential customers. Also, I frankly feel that the common buyer who wants to buy a City just because of the status symbol it carries won't be tempted to buy an older generation over a brand new car. Thus, the pricing will be completely a mess.
  2. Keep the prices of the new generation in line with the 4th generation City while substantially reducing the prices of the 4th generation. This is the ideal option for them and I believe would make the new City an instant hit reflecting the same on their sales figures.

Hope Honda makes some sense with their decision. Anyway, we are going to find that out very soon.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 14:55   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Between the 1L GDI DCT and the 1.5 vTec CVT, I'm leaning towards the Verna; I hardly use the back-seat, the HUD on the city looks kinda tacky and cooled seats seem way more useful than a G-force meter. Though the lanewatch camera, door-mounted OVRMs and full-sized alloys in the City are total wins.
I was waiting for this comparison for so long. After seeing it i feel i did the right thing by picking up a Verna 2020 SX IVT and not waiting for the City. I don't use the backseat much. I picked up the Verna under 14 lakh OTR Delhi. i am pretty sure like for like model on the city will cost at least 2.5 lakhs more which would be more than 3 year's petrol bill for me. Only thing i would want to experience in the new city would be the quality of the interior compared to the Verna.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st July 2020 at 15:30. Reason: Embedded video link removed from the quoted part
Mr.RaghavDhir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 15:30   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not really.

Multiple reviews comment it is the same platform as the 4th generation. Looks like they just updated the same platform for more rigidity (20% as claimed in one review), and this is not an all-new platform.

There is nothing much to suggest otherwise - Dimensions are larger due to longer front and rear overhangs. Rear legroom is 7mm larger due to thinner front seats. Wheelbase is same, engine bay and placement of mechanicals are almost identical and as a 4th generation owner mentioned above - the rear doors and door pads seem to be identical as well.

None of this makes it bad though - it seems to actually be a good replacement of the existing City (which is already priced at a premium). Hopefully Honda doesnt try to price the new one any higher - to make the two generations co-exist.
Yes, you are correct, it's not a new platform so didn't mentioned in my post. Only slightly modified(mounting points for mechanical parts are moved here and there a bit) and stiffened.

But worth noting is that by slightly modifying an old platform, A car's safety rating can be increased from 4 to 5 stars.
Still the cars seems good subject to right pricing!
Old 1st July 2020, 15:30   #555
BHPian

I don't feel the urge to move from my 3rd gen 2012 Honda City. I'm quite happy with the car and this does not bowl me over.

Also, I still don't like the thick chrome bar on the front of recent Hondas, it just doesn't click for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks