Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2019, 14:02   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

2020 Honda City world premiere on November 25, 2019.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-city_turbo_122ps_banner_coming.jpg

Quote:
3-cylinder petrol 1.0 liter VTEC Turbo

The new 3-cylinder petrol DOHC 12-valve 998 cc. Cylinder x stroke 73.0 x 78.7 mm. Compression ratio 10.0: 1 with variable valve systems for both VTEC and Dual VTC. Borg Warner's single scroll Turbocharger with 122 horsepower (PS). At 5,500 rpm, maximum torque of 200 Nm at 2,000 - 4,500 rev / min. Matching with automatic transmission, CVT may support oil up to E85.

Quote:
The new City will be unveiled globally in Thailand first just ahead of the Bangkok motor show 2019. The new Honda sedan has been spotted being road tested multiple times in India and internationally. While the model will go on sale in Thailand first, the India launch for the next-gen Honda City is expected to take place next year only.
Additionally, a 1.5-litre petrol mill coupled with Honda's new compact e:HEV mild-hybrid system (a compact variation of the brand’s i-MMD tech), which made its debut on the all-new Jazz, will be available on the City as well. Honda will offer this engine with a CVT gearbox, though a 6-speed manual is also a possibility.

The third engine option for the Honda City – primarily for the Indian market – will be the brand’s 1.5-litre diesel powerplant that is available on the current-gen City, among other Honda India model
Link

Link1

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th November 2019 at 14:13.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 07:37   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

More details trickle in, of the new CITY,

Quote:
This is the new “City” that appears as a 5th generation model, but according to Honda, it has a “sporty and luxurious appearance” while providing a “spacious cabin”, which is even more powerful. He also explains that it will be equipped with a new turbo engine that offers 33% fuel efficiency while providing performance
Quote:
it is equipped with a newly developed 1.0L inline 3-cylinder turbocharger engine (maximum output about 120hp) that has been rumored for a long time, and the transmission can be selected from either 6-speed MT / CVT It is said that it is possible.
The other is said to have a lineup that combines a 1.5L displacement inline 4-cylinder i-VTEC engine with a mild hybrid.
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20191013_city1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th November 2019 at 07:39.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 17:55   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Launching in Thailand,

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-1.png
Old 15th November 2019, 18:56   #64
BHPian

I just got a call from MG Honda Gurgaon and he updates me that the BS6 1.5l Petrol engine has already been launched in the present City without any feature change. Did not ask if price has risen or not as I am no more interested in City.
Old 16th November 2019, 20:09   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

The New City rendered, will it be lost in the crowd?
Old 17th November 2019, 19:07   #66
BHPian

Best feature - removal of that odd-ball chrome moustache.

OT - why are all manufacturers going with lower displacement engines?
Old 17th November 2019, 19:23   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

OT - why are all manufacturers going with lower displacement engines?
Emissions + efficiency. A 1.0L turbo is easier to meet emissions.

Same for the Civic. 1.8L will be downsized to a 1.5L turbo petrol to meet emissions.
Old 18th November 2019, 11:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
I just got a call from MG Honda Gurgaon and he updates me that the BS6 1.5l Petrol engine has already been launched in the present City without any feature change. Did not ask if price has risen or not as I am no more interested in City.
Price has increased by around INR 15000-20,000 is what I am told. Which is a very small increase in the overall scheme of things. Thankfully, the power and torque figures of the lovely iVTEC remain undiluted, so thats a good thing.
Old 18th November 2019, 11:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Price has increased by around INR 15000-20,000 is what I am told. Which is a very small increase in the overall scheme of things. Thankfully, the power and torque figures of the lovely iVTEC remain undiluted, so thats a good thing.
I believe the recently launched BS6 Elantra had the same power and torque figures as the previous version but the 0-100 was slower by about half a second. The throttle response was dull compared to the older engine as per the Autocar review.

I would expect something similar for the City too.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 18th November 2019 at 11:51.
Old 18th November 2019, 12:59   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

My bet is Honda will not bring the 1.0 Turbocharged engine to India. They just do not believe Indian consumers are sophisticated enough or spend enough to warrant new technology. This is a deep-rooted belief in HQ that no amount of evidence on the ground to the contrary can shake!

They did the same with the recently launched Civic. While most of the world got the 1.5L Turbo engine, we were given the same old 1.8 NA engine from a decade ago. When it came to Diesel, they had no alternatives since they don't have an old diesel to palm off to India, so they gave us the newer engine.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 17:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
My bet is Honda will not bring the 1.0 Turbocharged engine to India. They just do not believe Indian consumers are sophisticated enough or spend enough to warrant new technology. This is a deep-rooted belief in HQ that no amount of evidence on the ground to the contrary can shake!
That is bizarre. After all, what works for VW? The Polo GT and Vento TSI because of the engine/gearbox combo.
Old 18th November 2019, 19:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

Frankly in my opinion if Honda does not bring in the gizmos and some futuristic tech like a Hybrid there will not be much takers except a few Honda Loyalists.

Hyundai has access to all the new tech that have already been offered as part of the Venue and the Seltos such as:
1. 360 degree camera
2. Voice Activated Controls/Features
3. Connected Car Features, 10 inch Infotainment

In addition, they also have a great Engine + gearbox combo with the GDI Engine + DCT (0 to 100 kph in less than 10 seconds) and they were already segment leaders in NVH levels. I am sure all this will be added to the next Verna whenever it launches.

In comparison Honda seems to be looking inferior tech wise (CVT vs DCT) and gadget wise. No doubt they are the masters of space, practicality and fuel efficiency but will that suffice? I think the market has moved ahead and the bar is high - we need to wait and watch if Honda will up their game.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 18th November 2019 at 19:11.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 19:15   #73
Senior - BHPian

I recall the excitement and activity level of the scoop thread of the 3rd gen city (Link (SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39)), it was at a totally different level. In comparison, referring this thread, it looks like very few people are enthusiastic about the 5th gen City!
bluevolt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 19:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I recall the excitement and activity level of the scoop thread of the 3rd gen city (Link (SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39)), it was at a totally different level. In comparison, referring this thread, it looks like very few people are enthusiastic about the 5th gen City!
Times have changed and how! Comparing to 2008 and 2019

1) Honda's reputation has gone down the drain. They no longer build high quality cars like they used to!
2) SUVs are in vogue now!
3) Honda is no longer considered a leader in any segment. It's just sad. Today, people have the Koreans on top of their list! How the world has changed!
Turbohead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 11:17   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Where Honda went wrong is they think they know better than the customers what the customer should want. When they think of India, they think of small crowded streets, customers who buy only based on the brand's track record and word-of-mouth and a market that values reliability over anything else. This leads to a conclusion that it is best to keep using proven technology and avoid any risks of failure and impact on brand reputation. This is the reason why they kept going with the tried and tested NA petrol engines. It took a whole big shift of the market to Diesel around 2010, where the majority of upper B and the C segment shifted to Diesel, for Honda to sit up and take notice and start developing/localizing the small Turbo Diesel engine. It arrived rather late around 2013 and even then, it was noisy and not powerful enough. Even today, they believe the Indian consumer would be better off with NA petrol engines, so they have not introduced the 1.5 Turbopetrol - their newest launches, of both Civic and CRV are using NA engines. It is sheer arrogance and the "know it all" attitude that has led them to this hopeless situation. It is not too late and if they wake up and start applying their engineering prowess locally to making and offering cutting edge technology and cars suitable for the local market, they can still turn the corner. I have owned a Honda before and fundamentally they have a DNA for great drivability and design.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th November 2019 at 11:20.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed