Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 15:56   #796
Senior - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Fifth-gen Honda City compares to the fourth-gen City as well as other midsize sedans on price.

Attachment 2030927

Source : Autocar India
What is interesting is the lack of diesel choices and the Hyundai Verna as the only option if one wants a Diesel AT.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th July 2020 at 21:02. Reason: Grammar.
avishar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 16:08   #797
BHPian

Pricing seems to on spot. Base model is loaded with features.
The competetion is direct and I wonder what MSIL is going to do with the Ciaz to compete with the new CITY.
Old 16th July 2020, 18:33   #798
BHPian

Probably add a sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
The competetion is direct and I wonder what MSIL is going to do with the Ciaz to compete with the new CITY.
So does this mean there are discounts on the older model as I heard that they are going to sell both the models simultaneously ?

I would like to order some custom build model if possible. Exterior of older one and interior of newer one. Older suspension and newer engine. ICE of none.
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 19:32   #799
BHPian

I checked the flexes in the door panel as reported by some reviewer in the YouTube. Thankfully the demo model had no such issues. That said, the build quality is still lighter than its competitors.

Name:  20200716_190352.gif
Views: 6990
Size:  1.40 MB

1. Car looks good in the brown shade. Its a very understated design. Most conservative upgrade for any generation.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img20200716164017.jpg

2. Interior now is best in class. I just hope that it is tightly screwed to last long.

3. Honda has generously used insulation materials to counter the NVH issues. Though wheel well should have been addressed as well to make it a complete effort.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img20200716164311.jpg

4. Touch screen response is fine. Interface has definitely improved with time for Honda. Music quality is at par for the course. Not in the league of Harrier/Hector/Creta though.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img20200716164038.jpg

Last edited by Turbokick : 16th July 2020 at 19:34.
Turbokick is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 20:52   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
True - I think many people saying that this generation is priced well forget the Gen 2014 prices. I had paid ~10L on road Mumbai for the SV MT in 2014 and it was the middle variant out of 5 variants available - E, S, SV, V, VX.
The new prices are eye-watering in comparison IMO!
Truly said, I paid the exact same amount i.e. 10L OTR for V automatic in 2013. The same model will around be ~15L OTR now, that's an increase of 50%.
The prices have increased a lot if you compare older generations.

But given the rumours that Honda will be selling both models together, the general opinion was the increase in prices will be closer to 1-1.5 lacs and when Honda kept it much lower, everyone is pleasantly surprised leading to a great responses even at such a time when SUVs were already killing the segment and COVID made it even more worse.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 20:58   #801
BHPian

That base model is going to be the most sought after variant in this lineup, IMHO. It has everything which is basically required.
Having said that I also feel that this is a clever ploy by Honda to introduce the V trim as the base variant. Earlier it used to be S, SV, V, VX and ZX. Now it seems they have cut the clutter and introduced only 3 trims; base, mid and top via the V, VX and ZX both in MT and CVT for all trims if I am not mistaken. So the base City is directly comparable to the mid variants of the competition, both feature wise and cost wise.

I have suggested this car to a friend of mine who is in the market for his first car. He was looking at the base Creta or Seltos, leaning towards Creta. I didn't suggest the Rapid rider just because I have heard too may Skoda horror stories and he cannot afford one such story since its going to be his first and only car.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 16th July 2020 at 21:00.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 21:22   #802
BHPian

Decently priced. I like the VX model as it has almost everything I wanted and the Sunroof to please my Home Minister.

Will I jump in and buy it? Fingers Crossed. Jazz is still pretty new though she is 5 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I checked the flexes in the door panel as reported by some reviewer in the YouTube.
Attachment 2031163
Thanks for checking this and good to know. Either it’s fixed or the media car had a build issue. We have a thread on how a media car should be and the below was my observation. Incidentally the example I quoted then was again a Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
It should be the final version. Most of the reviews happen during the media drives and the issues faced in the drive reflect the reviews. All the hype over the launch gets diluted as the short changes are highlighted.

One example I can quote is, When the media drive happened from the new Jazz, fuel lid was not painted and it received lot of flak in our own forum. But the actual deliveries had them painted in the body color.

On a side note it works as a third party testing before the deliveries happen.
Old 16th July 2020, 23:02   #803
Team-BHP Support

Now that the dust has settled on the launch, adding a few details from a closer look at the specs -

- Power is up from 117bhp of the 4th generation to 119bhp. However, weight is up from a maximum of 1085 kgs to 1153 kgs for petrol and 1165kgs to 1217 kgs for the diesel variants.

- Result = Power to weight is down to 103 bhp/ton for the top-end petrol variant and 81 bhp/ton for the top-end diesel variant.

- Why no diesel CVT? Most probably because - if detuned to 79bhp like the Amaze (due to gearbox limitations) - City will most likely have a power to weight ratio of just 64 bhp/ton.

- Amaze gets 98 bhp/ton for petrol, 100 bhp/ton for the diesel & 79 bhp/ton for the Diesel CVT.

- Dual generation strategy is a mess! 4th generation gets only dual airbags till the ZX variant which gets six. Whereas the 5th generation gets 4 airbags as standard, not to mention good number of feature additions to justify the pricetag. 4th generation makes zero sense except for the base variant SV variant.

- Comparing the price difference between 4th and 5th generation (V MT - INR 24000, VX MT - INR 43900, ZX MT - INR 13000) - it is now much better VFM than the earlier car.

- My pick of the range is the VX, not the base variant. Adds equipment such as curtain airbags, auto-dimming IRVM, electric sunroof, diamond cut 16 inch alloys, 4 tweeters for the music system, leather steering and gear knob, colour TFT MID etc - good package for the premium positioning of the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
True - I think many people saying that this generation is priced well forget the Gen 2014 prices. I had paid ~10L on road Mumbai for the SV MT in 2014 and it was the middle variant out of 5 variants available - E, S, SV, V, VX.
The new prices are eye-watering in comparison IMO!
Maybe we have inflation to blame as well. Prices have remained consistent in Thailand - which has considerably negligible inflation rates. Here's a closer look at the launch prices from past three generations (Comparing only petrol versions for uniformity) -

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-priceindia.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-pricethailand.png

Note - Thailand versions are 1.0 Turbo iVTec. Also includes the top-end RS variant which we might get at a later stage.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th July 2020 at 23:51. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 00:57   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post

1. Car looks good in the brown shade. Its a very understated design. Most conservative upgrade for any generation.
How do you feel of the build quality when compared to the fourth-gen City? Any improvement when compared to its successor? The fourth-gen car's paint quality was also know for its orange-peel effect. Hope this flaw hasn't been carried over here.

In terms of design, it looks quite elegant and I like the simple interior design. I'm also happy that Honda has not added swathes of gloss black trim which are prone for attracting scratches. And hope this one drives better than the older car.
Aniruthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 07:06   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Base model seems to be loaded with features because Honda has simply discontinued the hitherto base model SV. In other words, what used to be a higher variant is now the new base model.
Old 17th July 2020, 07:49   #806
Senior - BHPian

Walkaround video of New City in Modern Steel Metallic & Radiant Red Metallic Shades

These 2 shades are my pick of the lot.
CarguyNish is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 18:45   #807
BHPian

Ad highlighting the Honda Connect feature, with the talking dog -

Seems to be inspired by an ad for the Honda HR-V in Australia -

Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 20:42   #808
BHPian

Checked out the ZX Petrol CVT today at Ring Road Honda, Janpath. Pretty good service and I was promptly given a test drive.

To be honest, apart from the 9 LED headlamp setup which is exclusive to the top variant, the front looked quite like the 4th gen. No such deja vu from the backside.

I'm about 6'1, 120 kg, muscular built and I felt cramped on the drivers seat with it pushed all the way down. While my hair wasn't brushing against the roof but the roof was definitely in peripheral vision and I can rule out sticking any perfume holder on the sun visor. The seat, despite what all the reviews said, felt a hit lacking compared to my 3rd gen city. Maybe it's the side bolsters but I could feel my back bursting over. Not a struggle to find a good driving position though with telescopic and tilt adjustable steering wheel.

The headunit has a nice matt finish and seemed responsive (I didn't get to try Android Auto) but it's home screen as well side buttons definitely look cheap and aftermarket.

The AC knobs are as clickety as the seem in the videos and their backlight changing from red to blue does look kinda cool. The plastic quality seems about okay though and belies the premium touch.

The lanewatch camera was useful today when the side windows fogged up and it was hard to see the left OVRM. Camera quality wasn't particularly sharp though, same is the case with the reversing camera.

Sun roof is decently sized with a manual cover. Reading lamps look premium. Ingress and egress is much the same as my 3rd gen city and you do have to squat a bit to get in.

We took a quick drive around KG Marg and its arterial roads. The engine is revv happy but the CVT gearbox doesn't like being thrown around corners. The little plasticky paddle shifters should probably help but I couldn't try them out properly this time. No complaints with the steering and handling. This suspension setup definitely seems better at handling speedbreakers than my old City.
iamitp is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 21:47   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruthan View Post
How do you feel of the build quality when compared to the fourth-gen City? Any improvement when compared to its successor? The fourth-gen car's paint quality was also know for its orange-peel effect. Hope this flaw hasn't been carried over here.
Build quality as i have mentioned is light. But the consistency in terms of materials used, fit and finish is there. Yes compared to the previous generation (I checked that too ) this version has clearly improved. This is now close to the Civic in terms of quality and feel.

Orange peel effect I guess is still there. Paint quality isnt extraordinary with Hondas.

I have booked a Creta SX petrol 1.5 black and I have been waiting since eternity (thanks to the high demand, corona crisis and all), I did find New City to be a great value. You get ZX petrol for 50k less (15 lakhs vs 15.5 lakhs) or the VX CVT at the same price. Spec vs Spec Honda wins in both the cases. Though its a crossover vs sedan equation. Parents not entirely convinced about the City though (low ingress/vertical space)
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 23:29   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I think Toyota had set the benchmark with 7 airbags in the Yaris even in the base variant and charging much lower than Honda. Even though they weren't able to capitalise much on this aspect else the price at which base variant of Yaris was launched it was a winner.
My apologies, I forgot about the Yaris. It was a competent car but let down by the engine options and ‘bland’ looks compared to the competition.
alikidwhy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks