Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 11:07   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Oh wait, the nice seats and wider headrest belong only to the ZX variant ? That is a bummer.

Even the seat looks a lot less premium (lesser contours) in the V and VX variants in comparison, or is it just me?

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st July 2020 at 11:08.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 11:22   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
The City does everything right and is cheaper than Creta & Seltos by at least 2.5-3 lakhs. So, one is paying that much premium for SUV Looks & Ground Clearance. If those 2 are not a mandatory, i don't know why would anyone buy the Creta/Seltos over the New City.

I know 2 of my immediate family members who have booked Creta, one already has 4th Gen City & other one doesn't buy any other brand apart from Hyundai.
Sedans are out of fashion not just in India but across the globe. Good or bad, no one wants to buy a thing that is out of fashion. The SUV are also far more practical in India. There are bad patches everywhere, monsoon creates havoc in majority of the cities, SUV's with better GC and visibility are a boon. The Verna always offered similar feature set/engine options as Creta but was outsold always by a big margin despite being cheaper.

Last edited by manson : 23rd July 2020 at 08:27. Reason: Typos.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:03   #858
Senior - BHPian

I think it's a matter of features what the car has to offer over a SUV. People are buying Telsa's in the US without thinking that it is a sedan. The electric vehicle capability is a feature no SUV out there can provide so in spite of being a sedan people still buy them. If the City has anything which the average car buyer will see has more value then the comparable SUV he or she will opt for the former instead of the latter.

The USP for the City for me is the 6 air bags and the legendary Honda reliability along with the Vtec kicked in Yo feeling which all the nice SUV's may not be able to provide. If the bottom does not scrape one really does not need the extra high ground clearance of the SUV. Once you reach a pot hole be it any vehicle one has to slow down, yes the SUV will glide a pot hole better than the City since the SUV will have a longer suspension travel.
Old 21st July 2020, 12:11   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I will tell you this that the LED headlamps with turn indicators alone is worth the upgrade to ZX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Simply put, if you really want them, nothing beats factory fit and ready to use from day 1! Go for the ZX indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Oh wait, the nice seats and wider headrest belong only to the ZX variant ? That is a bummer.
Indeed after adding better contoured seats and headrests, the ZX variant looks very much VFM!
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:13   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Sedans are out of fashion not just in India but across the globe. Good or bad, no one wants to buy a thing that is out of fashion. The SUV are also far more practical in India. There are bad patches everywhere, monsoon creates havoc in majority of the cities, SUV's with better GC and visibility are a boon.
It rained quite heavily last night here in Faridabad. Result was as usual lots of water clogging everywhere. While I was going to drop my wife at her office in our Honda City, she finally acknowledged that an SUV would have been better in these conditions. With so many potholes and water clogging I believe a high ground clearance vehicle will always be better. City will give more driving pleasure but an SUV will give you practical solutions.

Also, if somebody has the budget for VX then the better option is to go all the way for ZX. Especially when the difference is only 90k.

Last edited by manson : 23rd July 2020 at 08:28. Reason: Corrected typos in quote
harry10 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 13:05   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
on the VFM of the VX variant, but now torn over the additional Rs. 89,000 for ZX variant

Do you guys think these are worth the extra Rs. 89,000?
As someone has mentioned earlier, the sum total of these features in retail would probably cost more than 89k. VX has all the features you need and the ZX adds an extra feel good factor for not much more money.

OEM LED headlamps may or may not be easy to retrofit. I'm not sure about Honda's but in other manufacturers, they require extra modules or ECUs (If these are auto-levelling, then that usually adds an extra module). Leather seat covers usually include an ungainly cutout for the seat airbags. Things like auto-up windows will need you to purchase the upgraded switches or end up doing some sort of jugaad. It definitely won't be factory finish and if you're not stretching for the VX already, I suggest you go for the ZX if you want the features.

Honda has summarised the variants in their launch presentation quite well IMO :
  • V - 'Redefine Base. Set New Standard'
  • VX - 'High Safety and Technology'
  • ZX - 'Luxury and Exclusivity'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
How will the competition react? I guess Ciaz will continue with its Value for Money Tag. For people on a budget there is nothing that beats the Ciaz at that price point. Ciaz Delta AT Costs 12.26 L OTR BLR and City V CVT costs 15.27 L OTR BLR. (Verna SX IVT costs 14.96 L OTR BLR) 3 Lakhs is a big gap and there is no threat to the Ciaz VFM tag.
Great analysis in general! But I also feel the Ciaz feels a generation behind (other than the mild-hybrid tech). Sure, it offers you what you pay for, which is less when it comes to the features and powertrain front. Other than LED headlamps, keyless entry and go and leatherette seats, the City V CVT competes with the Zeta or even Alpha AT (13.73L and 14.1L OTR respectively in BLR as per CarWale) and not the Delta AT and offers more power, a more modern T/M, more space and a couple of more airbags albeit without the shiny bits. I won't discuss safety because both are unproven on that front but I'm personally not very fond of MSIL's mindset.

So, I do think that unless you're really on a budget or you're really particular that it must be MSIL, the V CVT works out to be a slightly better buy.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 13:06   #862
Team-BHP Support

From the initial favour of V variants, slowly the liking seems to be tilting towards the feature-loaded ZX variant now. To a common man - this is also the point where the feature-loaded Creta starts to make more sense.

Take the City ZX (Petrol CVT - 14.45 lakhs) v/s Creta SX (1.5 Petrol IVT - 14.94 lakhs) for example. A common man will notice the bargain amount of features he is getting for an additional 49k -

1. Panoramic sunroof v/s normal.
2. The 6cm bigger & HD resolution touchscreen display.
3. Air Purifier.
4. Electric Parking Brake
5. Wireless charger.

All this + the popular 'SUV' practicality. Of course - City gets 6 airbags over 2 in the Creta SX - but that hardly affects a purchase decision compared to the above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
But I also feel the Ciaz feels a generation behind (other than the mild-hybrid tech). Sure, it offers you what you pay for, which is less when it comes to the features and powertrain front.
Of course it is a generation old now - launched in 2014 like the 4th generation City. Maruti would have been waiting for all the details of this generation City before probably working on the next generation, rumoured to be shared with Toyota as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st July 2020 at 13:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 14:19   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
As someone has mentioned earlier, the sum total of these features in retail would probably cost more than 89k.
Well said. After going through all the posts, it seems if want and can afford the 'exclusive luxury' features on the ZX, then it definitely makes sense to get it rather than pinch a few thousands and go through the hassle of installing them later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
From the initial favour of V variants, slowly the liking seems to be tilting towards the feature-loaded ZX variant now.
Fair point. Some additional features in favour of the City however:

1. Lanewatch camera
2. A mature, elegant design
3. Honda reliability and brand equity
4. Superior NA petrol engine

I'd say it's a fair fight.

Last edited by manson : 23rd July 2020 at 08:32. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 21st July 2020, 15:19   #864
BHPian

Any thoughts on essential accessories to get from the dealer?

I felt that the front parking sensors is essential while bumper protection (front and rear), body side moulding and steering cover can be very useful. Footwell lights, logo projector, step illumination would be nice to have.

Undecided on the trunk led spoiler. The window and rear windscreen visors, door edge and handle protectors look useful but also a bit tacky. Not fond of all the chrome garnishes at all.

Also, would anyone have the accessories price list
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200721150925.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200721150951.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200721151011.jpg  

iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 16:36   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Sedan's are out of fashion not just in India but across globe. Good or bad, no one wants to buy a thing that is out of fashion. The SUV are also far more practical in India. There are bad patches everywhere, monsoon creates havoc in majority of the cities, SUV's with better GC and visibility are a boon. The Verna always offered similar feature set/engine options as Creta but was outsold always by a big margin despite being cheaper.
On top of what you said, sedans are not practical for one particular reason I always suggest hatchbacks. I suggest go for say altroz instead of tigor or dzire.

Buying a set of plastic chairs or a big box of furniture from IKEA or hometown, hatchback just fold the seats and take home, people with sedan rent a Tata ace.

The very reason Europe loves hatchbacks(includes SUV) and estates.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 21st July 2020 at 16:38.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 17:21   #866
BHPian

An interesting watch - NA versus Turbocharged

City is no doubt the current segment benchmark but VW's new 1.0 TSI engine still trumps as the choice for enthusiasts.

steadfast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 21:47   #867
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I was able to take this screenshot from the early part of the above video-

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-cityvento.png

While the camera angle might be blamed very slightly, the image clearly shows how long the City has grown. It does appear a full segment above the Vento in terms of size. Of course, the spec sheet reflects the same. The image also shows how the C2 segment cars have grown over the last 10 years. I expect the next gen Ciaz and Verna to be similar in size to the new City.
AYP is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 21:49   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post

City is no doubt the current segment benchmark but VW's new 1.0 TSI engine still trumps as the choice for enthusiasts.
Unsurprisingly, vento is looking ultra outdated in front of the sleek city. Yes there is a separate fan base for clean designs, including me, but its high time VAG gives us the new gen Polos and Ventos. The review is crisp, and was focused more on performance. But overall the new City is tough to ignore and is undoubtedly the best choice among the likes of vento, rapid and verna, imho..

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st July 2020 at 22:34. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post = repetition.
RD150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 22:29   #869
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Simply put: the Honda is the better car. But the Vento is still the faster car.

Honda needs to bring their turbos here ASAP, if they want to retain their OHC/Civic enthusiast legacy. If we don't see RS prototypes/mules running around in a few months, I think we can officially bury Honda as an enthusiast brand in India.
GBX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 22:40   #870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
City had no real fighting chance in that drag race - Vento pulling ahead clearly all the way from the start. 10.2 v/s 11.1 seconds. "More fun, more enthusiastic, better bottom-end, better top-end" as per Sirish.

But - the dated Vento /Rapid is not the car for this comparison either. It doesn't have any real fighting chance against the City for any other parameters except that engine. It was launched originally against the 3rd generation City and it shows now more than ever.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st July 2020 at 22:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks