Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2020, 18:15   #1021
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That's a thought is echoed in some of the other reviews as well. Times have truly changed.

Hyundai has been working on the ride and handling balance over the years - and the changes are especially noticeable in the recent generations. Here's a new video from Evo India on this -
This is a beautiful video put together by EVO INDIA. Gives a good perspective about the ride & handling of the new gen Hyundai’s. Who would have thought that once a boat-like handler would be the best handling car in the segment! I feel Hyundai truly deserves an applause here. One can surely see that their engineers are working their a***s off to get this reputation. Commendable job!

OT: My liking for the 2020 Creta is growing with each passing day. Checkout the beauty in red in the video thumbnail.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 30th August 2020 at 18:17.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 10:13   #1022
Senior - BHPian

I saw the City in real life a couple of days back. As i was on an errand I could take a look at it externally only. However my hopes that the overhangs would look better in real life were not realised. The overhangs look unsightly and it has a little Toyota Yaris impression in design and not in a good way.

Give me short overhangs at both the front and rear any time of the day. Not withstanding that, the overhangs should be more at one end, front or back.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:03   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda City is now the leader in the C Sedan segment . Will it sustain its number One position, maybe not?

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-cs.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd September 2020 at 10:04.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 13:15   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda City is now the leader in the C Sedan segment . Will it sustain its number One position, maybe not?

The difference between city and Verna is miniscule. I wonder what the results would have been, if verna had just a little more room in the back seat.

New verna looks good (better on road than in pictures), is also loaded with features, and from what we see from various reviews, it drives better than the City(surprising for a Hyundai to emerge as the better car in the handling department).

New city actually doesn't look as fresh on road in comparison, may be I am of that opinion since I totally dislike the exaggerated overhangs.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 3rd September 2020 at 13:17.
Old 3rd September 2020, 14:14   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Is it safe to say that the new Honda City is the 'boat' of the segment?

Even a Hyundai Creta with a higher centre of gravity seems to handle better.

Or is the argument too far fetched since the City was a good handler a few years ago and hasn't changed much since then?
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:49   #1026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Is it safe to say that the new Honda City is the 'boat' of the segment?

Even a Hyundai Creta with a higher centre of gravity seems to handle better.

Or is the argument too far fetched since the City was a good handler a few years ago and hasn't changed much since then?
The City and the Ciaz are the runt of the segment as far as ride, handling and dynamics go. Ciaz never had any pretensions about it, it was always a car that appealed to the stereotypical desi dad. But the City is truly let down by the the tinny rubber and the bouncy suspensions. Front is managably fine but the rear is simply atrocious. It was always this way, just that back in the day, the recall of brand City was such that all shortcomings were forgiven. But the game has now moved on so far ahead and Honda is still stuck where it was a decade back.

Hyundai has improved by leaps and bounds and the ageing Rapid-Vento twins also continue to be better despite the company replacing those excellent Sachs suspensions with low rent desi Gabriels. Even the likes of Nexon and XUV300 have a more sorted ride and handling balance than the City.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd September 2020 at 16:50.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 20:56   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda should take a lead from these numbers & understand that people are willing to put money on them if the product is correct.

The Brio platform, however, spacious may be is considered cheap by most Indians & cannot compete for the premium Honda is charging. Had they been reasonable with the prices & competitive with the lineup they could have done much better than current dismal numbers. IMO they could have been number 3 in the sales chart if they had managed the lineup & prices well.
Old 3rd September 2020, 21:30   #1028
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The article is titled -

Quote:
New-Gen Honda City Beats Ciaz & Verna In August 2020 Sales
But the numbers of the City (2299 units) include the discounted 4th generation sales as well. Is there a seperate figure provided somewhere for the two?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 23:47   #1029
BHPian

I took a small TD last Saturday (29.08.2020) of Honda City ZX CVT. I had put in multiple requests for a TD on Honda’s website but no response whatsoever was received. My brother was visiting the area where Honda showroom is located so he dropped by. He was informed that TD vehicle was not free that time but they promised a TD on Saturday at home. In the meanwhile, the salesperson showed him the display car and handed him over brochure along with price list. On Friday, when my brother called to confirm TD, salesperson seemed lost and did not remember anything. After escalating with his higher ups, a new salesperson was allocated.
On Saturday, the new salesperson arrived around noon with Brown ZX CVT. He was extremely courteous and had knowledge about the car features. Apart from salesperson, four of us sat in the car and took the test drive so as to check the space also. My brother has driven automatic cars in UK but this was my first time driving an automatic. I will be making references to our Hyundai Creta (2018 facelift)

My impressions:
1. Much better space in the rear seat compared to Creta though I still feel Duster offers better shoulder room.
2. Ride quality was fine though most of my TD was over well paved roads.
3. Using paddle shifters was fun.
4. AC was good, even angle of the rear AC Vents was much better than Creta.
5. The infotainment screen’s visibility under direct sunlight/in daylight was awful. Even at its maximum it was very difficult to read/see anything. Creta’s infotainment screen is much better.
6. The quality of rear camera as well as lane watch camera was grainy. Here also, Creta’s rear camera is much better comparatively though I used to think earlier that Hyundai has cut corners in camera quality.
7. IIRC, there was no button to mute audio from the steering.

As I am more inclined towards MT, I asked salesperson about TDing MT. He informed me that as of now Honda has provided them with CVT vehicle for TD due to production constraints because of Covid-19. He also informed that production is happening only at Tapukara plant. However, he was hopeful that MT vehicle for TD May arrive in first half of September and he promised to inform me about the same. He also gave me the price list.

I told him that for RTO, I will only pay the exact charges and will not pay any file charges. They can give me the file after paying tax online and I will approach RTO on my own. He tried to dissuade me by mentioning about higher ‘file charges’ which I may be forced to pay for processing if I go on my own but I knew it was not true. Further, as per the registration charges breakup provided by him, they were charging Rs. 1300 for temporary number plate and Rs. 849 for HSRP which is just atrocious. Having bought a motorcycle and Creta, we know that it’s a simple process wherein one has to just submit the file prepared by showroom and you will get the number confirmation the same day on your registered mobile number.

Some questions:
1. He informed me that upgrading tyres will void warranty even after I told him that I will just be upgrading to 195/55R16 which will be a deviation of less than 2%. Is it the case? Should I go for the upgrade?
2. He told me that I should go for Honda Assured Insurance as it offers Zero Depreciation till 10 years, consumables are included in the quotation and the claim settlement will be easier. However, I feel I can get all the facilities for a cheaper price outside. When we were buying Creta in 2018, the showroom quoted Rs. 62000 (approx.) for insurance whereas I got it from Royal Sundaram for Rs. 26,650/-. Any suggestions will be great.
3. Apart from my confusion between VX MT and ZX MT, I am now also considering VX CVT for the comfort it provides in daily city driving while retaining all the safety aspects of ZX.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-6231d61623ed46e5b7901b19ff366956.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-563403d10ca14759befa91d1d9fb62f9.jpeg  

Amity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 01:55   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity View Post
Some questions:
1. He informed me that upgrading tyres will void warranty ?
2. Honda Assured Insurance
3. ZX.
Upgrading tyres will void the warranty that the tyres have standard with the car. It doesnt affect anything else.

Honda Assured Insurance makes things easy as it covers everything but it will be slightly expensive. Try to find someone outside with the same options. Its allowed.

I would recommend the top end ZX if its in your budget. 6 airbags etc worth the extra cash for safety.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 12:12   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took a small TD last Saturday (29.08.2020) of Honda City ZX CVT. I had put in multiple requests for a TD on Honda’s website but no response whatsoever was received. My brother was visiting the area where Honda showroom is located so he dropped by. He was informed that TD vehicle was not free that time but they promised a TD on Saturday at home. In the meanwhile, the salesperson showed him the display car and handed him over brochure along with price list. On Friday, when my brother called to confirm TD, salesperson seemed lost and did not remember anything. After escalating with his higher ups, a new salesperson was allocated.
As I am more inclined towards MT, I asked salesperson about TDing MT. He informed me that as of now Honda has provided them with CVT vehicle for TD due to production constraints because of Covid-19. He also informed that production is happening only at Tapukara plant. However, he was hopeful that MT vehicle for TD May arrive in first half of September and he promised to inform me about the same. He also gave me the price list.
Thank you for the price list. The basic kit seems a loot to me.
However, what caught my attention was "Hydrostatic Lock" . Does it mean that the problem was already there & now it affects the petrol too?
Old 6th September 2020, 12:55   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
However, what caught my attention was "Hydrostatic Lock" . Does it mean that the problem was already there & now it affects the petrol too?
I think it’s the standard engine protection cover one gets with insurance.
Old 6th September 2020, 14:21   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it’s the standard engine protection cover one gets with insurance.
Not all cars get this, except the Germans & Honda. I have heard my boss fretting that he could not drive MB from South Delhi residence to Noida office. It's same with VW group cars & BMW.

Honda had this issue with Diesels which were based on VW diesels. This Hydrostatic Lock was an option for last gen Honda for customers who had knowledge of this issue.

Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Tata, Toyota, Ford & Chevrolet don't have this issue.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 6th September 2020 at 14:22.
Old 6th September 2020, 16:08   #1034
BHPian

While most people are comparing the new Honda City with its closest rival, the Hyundai Verna, I was thinking about the other end of the segment.
How does the base model of the City compare with the base model of the Skoda Rapid Rider?

What are your thoughts?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 17:55   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
See the rev limiter problem I mentioned:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=NhYJ...ature=Youtu.be
Which variant is this? In the opening pic, it says City ZX. I just drove the City ZX Petrol MT. It has a digital Tachometer. It also has a horizontal line as G Meter Display. When one drives an iVtec, we look at the rev meter and I found it difficult as the digital needle was too short and of the same colour to decipher distinctively. The horizontal slab for Gravity was also not making it easy to know.

Overall I found the new City very luxurious however for someone who likes to drive, Rapid / Vento still should remain the top choice. The suspensions on the new City were too good for comfort. Noise insulation isn't really good for a 15 Lakh INR car.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 7th September 2020 at 17:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks