Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 15:39   #1051
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
As a person who had used Hyundais a lot, dividing between Verna & City could be a tough choice. Only if Ford & Tata launch good mid size/ executive products.
Could you share your views on the comparison between ownership experience (build quality, service quality and cost, tendency to develop issues etc) of a Verna and a City?

I have had a couple of bad experiences in my family with Hyundai ASS and with their sales numbers growing I just feel it might go downhill due to the increase in volumes (experienced the same with Suzuki).
Old 11th September 2020, 16:37   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Could you share your views on the comparison between ownership experience (build quality, service quality and cost, tendency to develop issues etc) of a Verna and a City?

I have had a couple of bad experiences in my family with Hyundai ASS and with their sales numbers growing I just feel it might go downhill due to the increase in volumes (experienced the same with Suzuki).
Can't compare Verna & City as I have not owned one till date. My cousin bought City in 2008 & it was far better than last gen as I have heard. When I was in market last time, I felt the City to be much lighter than Hyundais. I did compare Verna too, but had to give up for lack of parking space around my office. People claim Verna to be a boat, bit that's history now. With better tyres it handles better as per reviews. Current gen is only a bit too radical for me. Plus I haven't heard people around me complaining about ground clearance in Verna, but reviews point out to overhangs of City to be bit bigger. That's what bothering me... maybe I will invest the cash somewhere else.

Coming to ASS, I never had bad experience with Hyundais, except the cost which is not at par IMO. Initially, I struck to the dealership I bought my cars from & later went to independent Company branded service centre. Never missed any service or had to go to other professionals. Again this is my experience, maybe I'm fortunate here.
Old 11th September 2020, 16:46   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Current gen is only a bit too radical for me. Plus I haven't heard people around me complaining about ground clearance in Verna, but reviews point out to overhangs of City to be bit bigger. That's what bothering me... maybe I will invest the cash somewhere else.
Thanks a lot for your views! Yes, they have done a bit too much at the front end (Verna), I prefer the previous generation in terms of looks. Although the big front chrome at the front of City is also not too pleasant to look at, I would pick it anyday over the Verna. Also, City has a much more Sedan-like stance vis-a-vis Verna which goes for a coupe type design.

The mind says Verna but the heart goes with the City for me
Old 12th September 2020, 13:30   #1054
Senior - BHPian

When we are saying the build feels light does it mean it is "Maruti" light or how light it is ? Is the sheet metal thin to get dings easily like for eg the Baleno?
Old 12th September 2020, 13:33   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
When we are saying the build feels light does it mean it is "Maruti" light or how light it is ? Is the sheet metal thin to get dings easily like for eg the Baleno?
It is Maruti light. Perhaps not Baleno-esque, but then only a tiny bit better. The Gen5 is built on slightly revised Gen4 underpinnings, you won’t be wrong to say it is a thoroughly facelifted and updated Gen4. The inherent weaknesses will remain.

Think Ciaz. The City and Ciaz have similar build quality. Much inferior to every other car in their class, and all the compact SUVs as well.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th September 2020 at 13:35.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 13:44   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Think Ciaz. The City and Ciaz have similar build quality. Much inferior to every other car in their class, and all the compact SUVs as well.
+1

Having both the cars in the family, there isn't any difference between the two when it comes to the tinny build.

They are better than other Marutis (barring SCross & Brezza) while the Verna, rapid and vento are built better. Even the scala/sunny are similar to city/Ciaz
Old 12th September 2020, 16:00   #1057
BHPian

Based on my usage can tell that Honda City especially from the 4th generation facelift does have better build(especially compared to the previous gen City that I tested and rejected back in 2013) than Maruti cars including Ciaz(ex.S-Cross). The doors and lids feels heavier and closes with a resounding thud. The brakes are excellent and have stopped safely saving my skin twice
in emergency braking situation(Thanks to vehicles ignoring red signal changes ). Ocassional scraping or hitting the tight walls during parking has not dented my car. Even when hit lightly by a few bikes and my son's size 26" cycle there has been no dent. My earlier Maruti used to be pockmarked on these occasions! Ofcourse have driven a friend's Vento and it was way better build. Even Verna was better though back seat was cramped for talk persons in our family. Finally chose the City for iVTEC over 2nd placed Vento
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:28   #1058

Planning to book the V CVT in Orchid White Pearl tomorrow. Wish me luck
kaustavbecs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:18   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustavbecs View Post
Planning to book the V CVT in Orchid White Pearl tomorrow. Wish me luck
All the best for your new City, it will serve you faithfully for years to come. My 4th gen Honda City has been serving us faithfully for more than 6 years now and more than 70k kms on the odo, no niggles so far and service has been good.
Welcome to Honda Family
Candy$Cars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:43   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
All the best for your new City, it will serve you faithfully for years to come. My 4th gen Honda City has been serving us faithfully for more than 6 years now and more than 70k kms on the odo, no niggles so far and service has been good.
Welcome to Honda Family
Thanks Candy$Cars. My only concern is the ground clearance. Have you faced any such issues with your 4th Gen City in the last six years?
Old 17th September 2020, 23:13   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..My only concern is the ground clearance. Have you faced any such issues with your 4th Gen City in the last six years?
Absolutely no ground clearance issues faced in the 4th Gen City in the last 6 years after running it through so many different roads through multiple states.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:17   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Candy$Cars. My only concern is the ground clearance. Have you faced any such issues with your 4th Gen City in the last six years?
Congratulations on the new car. The white colour looks great. I really struggled between white and metallic steel when booking mine early in 2019. Finally, opted for the metallic steel colour.

In the last year and a half of driving (usually with two-three people on board), I have faced only two or three instances where there has been a very light scraping on the front bumper lip . This was on a viciously designed speed breaker, which most cars were scraping anyways, and a couple of really massive potholes in one of the worst condition roads in south Bangalore (the approach road to Begur - Koppa Road). Other than that, in normal driving conditions and even moderately bad roads, I have faced no clearance issues in the 4th Gen City. Of course, you need to drop speeds when tackling really bad roads with potholes, like any other sedan. The suspension is stiffened adequately to counter bottoming out issues.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th September 2020 at 09:34.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 17:57   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Well, it is a sedan and you need to be careful especially on bad roads. Go slowly over them carefully, and while navigating big speed breakers always assume that she is going to scrape to be extra cautious and try going sideways. Otherwise, for the most part I haven't faced much issue with ground clearance and it would have been same for any other sedan. My father, who uses the City mostly, has taken her to our native place and remote rural areas a number of times. Except for once when she got a hit on the underbody and the radiator leaked ( had to call RSA who came and rescued us though the place was a rural one), all has been fine. Needless to say, she has scraped and bottomed out quite a number of times over huge speed breakers in UP highways and pothole filled roads.
But still, she has been a joy to drive on well paced highways and if most of your usage is confined to urban areas, you will be fine.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 09:22   #1064
BHPian

Dear Owners, I am at the showroom for the first free service of my City. The service guys were insisting on getting the underbody coating to prevent rusting. I know from experience that dealers usually try to throw these things in the free services (teflon coating, underbody coating, silencer coating etc). I kind of dodged it saying will get it done in the second service. The price they coated was 3200+gst. Does it make sense to get it done ?
Old 19th September 2020, 10:36   #1065

The V variant has puny 185/60 R15 tyres with dated looking alloys. I want to change the tyres to R16 with better section width. Any suggestions on the optimal tyre profile?

Also, the dealer is refusing to pay any amount for the company fitted tyres and alloys in case I want to upgrade. So, I have to exchange the same from outside - will that void my warranty? I read somewhere that changing alloys and tyre profile voids suspension related warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks