Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 11:01   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Embargo out, reviews in

Autocar India Review

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-417757

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th June 2020 at 11:21.
Venkatesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:28   #497
BHPian

I feel that the rear bumper is far too bland and as a result, looks big/chunky
Old 30th June 2020, 11:31   #498
Senior - BHPian

Most of the reviews point out that the new car is a evolution rather than a revolution! Petrol motor seem to be a good improvement however the 1.0TSi and Verna Turbo seem to have an upperhand interms of performance. Biggest worry is the pricing, with current ZX CVT hitting 18L on road, I think the new one will be quite more expensive. At the same time, size of the new city is going to be its USP.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:37   #499
OSH
BHPian

Here is a copy of the make-shift brochure which is more like a promo document.

Honda City 2020.pdf
Old 30th June 2020, 11:47   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Most of the reviews point out that the new car is a evolution rather than a revolution! Petrol motor seem to be a good improvement however the 1.0TSi and Verna Turbo seem to have an upperhand interms of performance. Biggest worry is the pricing, with current ZX CVT hitting 18L on road, I think the new one will be quite more expensive. At the same time, size of the new city is going to be its USP.
I am looking to purchase a car with a budget of around 15L (OTR, Delhi). Looking forward to the price reveal for the 2020 City. A petrol CVT (base auto variant) that retails for 13L ex-showroom will is what I am hoping for. Let's see what happens.
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:53   #501
Team-BHP Support

Reviewers seem a bit underwhelmed?

Powerdrift especially says something as below -

Quote:
Every generation of the City - we are used to it being a benchmark. But this City - is a little less so!
Hope Honda doesn't become too greedy with the pricing.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:14   #502
BHPian

The city doesn’t seem to stand out in any aspect now. Plenty of great cars are available at that price. Rapid is anyday a more driver centric car and has better performance. Looking at the reviews I believe new Creta has a better backseat and equally good ride quality as City. Plus both the Kia and Seltos have better equipment. If Honda becomes greedy with pricing I don’t see this model selling well.

Ps : Waiting for the new Creta review and its comparison to the Seltos. I have driven the Seltos 1.4 manual.
spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:21   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

As a Gen 4 owner, this new City seems nothing more than a thorough facelift. Revised looks, a new dash and minor feature additions here and there. All reviews point to a ‘slightly refreshed’ platform, which we all know is PR speak for more of the same. The wheelbase is the same, so the extra size is only going into bigger bumpers and longer overhangs. New dash and headrests aside, everything else in the cabin seems to be the same as Gen 4: from the doors to windows, seat bases, so many other little bits are also obvious. Weight is also almost identical, 9 kgs less.

These reviews clearly indicate that this new City is just a Gen4+. Calling it an all new Gen 5 will be absurdly stretching the truth.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 30th June 2020 at 12:39.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:27   #504
Senior - BHPian

No question that the new City is a solid all round product. Of course, pricing is the key but I really like the incremental improvements and upgrades that Honda has factored into the new model. Ride quality seems very good and that is a welcome move. While my 4th gen City is not overly stiff and is reasonably comfortable, but bad roads at slow speeds are felt through the chassis. I am not too concerned about the engine because the current iVTEC engine was always one of the most potent and best NA petrol engines around for years together - and any engine which offers the slightest of improvements on this would be a winner in my books. Interiors also look very clean, spacious and well put together

Overall, a solid offering combining practicality, performance, refinement, and ease of maintenance and reliability. The same strengths which made the previous generations of the Honda City such a legend and a compelling offering in the first place.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 30th June 2020 at 12:39.
arindambasu13 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 13:25   #505
Senior - BHPian

Saw a few reviews. The one with Gagan Chaudhary is quite comprehensive. The only word after watching these comes to mind is 'Underwhelming'. Maybe my expectations were more. But, as a Generation 4th owner this doesn't looks too different or appealing. Let's see if Honda can give an appealing price atleast.
harry10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 13:45   #506
BHPian

I personally feel that this is indeed a significant upgrade over the earlier car. From whatever I have seen in the reviews that are out, here are a few things which I feel are noteworthy upgrades:

1. Build and fit: All the reviews pointed out to an improvement in the build quality compared to the 4th gen car. The fit and finish as well as the cabin ambience has improved. There has been insulation provided all around, in the wheel wells as well as complete covering in the boot unlike last gen car. Although the design is a subjective thing, I personally like it, the car looks bigger now.

2. Features: Even though many features look similar to earlier gen car, the experience has been vastly enhanced as shown in the reviews. The sunroof is the largest in its class now, the touchscreen has become very slick, you get a full size spare alloy wheel, addition of connected car tech over earlier gen car, digital instrument cluster etc. There are some useful additions as well like tire pressure monitoring. And barring the ciaz, no other car gives the kind of back seat comfort that the city offers. Verna is completely cramped by segments standards. And the city has scored 5 stars in ASEAN NCAP tests.

3. Performance: This is where I beg to differ with few earlier posts by some of the bhpians. Even though the spec sheet says 1.5ivtec, the motor is almost all new. What has drawn my attention most is the improvement in driveability of the petrol. Autocar review says that in 3rd gear, the car pulls cleanly from 20kph all the way to 150kph, without any fuss, making it almost like an automatic. The earlier car was dull in lower rpms. Also autocar tested the 0-100 time to be 10.2 seconds, which is only 0.07 seconds slower than rapid tsi but whole 2 seconds quicker than verna turbo dct it seems. So, honda has really improved the driveability and refinement all around, including for the cvt and diesel.

4. Ride quality: This is another area which the reviews said that there is significant improvement. Low speed ride in earlier city was not good, I personally experienced it a lot. So this is a very welcome and much needed improvement.

So, I feel this is a significant upgrade from earlier gen. Honda tried to make it appealing to all age groups, both young and old. I think they have succeeded in achieving that balance here. So, it is not right to downplay it as just a facelift of earlier car with the same features and nothing new. Now it all depends on how they price it and whether it will succeed to woo customers planning to buy creta and seltos. It will still find takers from sedan lovers. All we can do is wait and see
klgiridhar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 13:58   #507
Senior - BHPian

Could not find/ hear any remark on the build quality & improvement over last gen (except that the weight is up 40 kg).

I would like to learn on this aspect from the early birds.

But, again pricing is crucial as this segment is starting to contract & poor pricing can drive prospective buyers to the pseudo-SUV for obvious reasons.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 14:28   #508
BHPian

So went through few of the reviews of the new Honda City and here is something that I would like to inform you all:

1) The engine is a new unit with DOHC and VTC.
2) Most reviews do mention that compared to the fourth generation the suspension seems to be on the softer side.
3) The feedback from the steering has also taken a hit.
4) The tyres remain the same 185 section tyres.
5) Finally the Honda City gets a third headrest for the third passenger in the backseat although none of the backseat headrests are adjustable, but they are placed at a higher level than the earlier gen city(ZX Variant)
6) The third passenger also get's a proper retractable seat belt.(ZX Variant)
7) Honda claims to have stiffened the chassis upto 20%.
8) The fuel tank capacity is 40L.
9) The car revs till 5k at standstill.
10) The tyres can screech even with the traction control on.

Now for the small bits that I noticed during the reviews.

1) The boot lid does get a proper cover. No exposed metals.
2) The central floor board panel from the passenger side has exposed screws.
3) They've used piano black finishes for the interior lights. Looks cools, but surely would get scratched in the long run.
4) The ZX variant seems to have leather wrapped door arm rests.
5) The rear windows goes down till 92%. The remaining 8% is only in the front side so resting your arms on the window might not be a problem(Although not recommended).
6) There are no sunvisor extenders.
7) No lights in sunvisors, but seems to get two buttoms which maybe there to prevent rattling
8) The spare is an full size alloy.
9) The is no cover to conceal the gap between the steering wheel and the instrument cluster
10)The intake manifold seems to have five tubes(I'm not sure if that's the right term) when compared to previous 4 tube setup. Perhaps better breathing at higher revs?
11)The petrol variant does get underhood cladding.
12)The engine mounts,air filter,radiator,alternator location seems to be identical to the previous generation.
13) The carpets are black and so are the doorpads except for the central door arm rest area.
14) It gets auto up and down on all four mirrors.
15) The power window switches do get a mark although I doubt if they are backlit.

I would add more points if I could find them.

Abhishek.
abhi9044 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 14:29   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Could not find/ hear any remark on the build quality & improvement over last gen (except that the weight is up 40 kg).

I would like to learn on this aspect from the early birds.
For what it’s worth, Faisal khan says the doors feel lighter than the Verna. Waiting for the Team BHP official review.

I don’t like this new car as much as I did the older one. It feels like a boat, bulky and ungainly. I guess it reminds me of the SX4 in ways, but that’s expected when you try to stretch out a C segment sedan. The City is probably a good replacement for the Corolla, with its spacious rear seat space.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 14:41   #510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
All reviews point to a ‘slightly refreshed’ platform, which we all know is PR speak for more of the same.
Evo India review claims that the platform is the same as the 4th generation City - with same wheelbase and tyre sizes. Zigwheels claims it is the same chassis architecture.

Whereas the OD review claims it is a LWB version of the Thai platform although they say Honda denies it saying that only the measuring methodology is different between the Thai and Indian markets.

Guess this is a reworked and stiffened 4th generation platform. Not an entirely new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
There has been insulation provided all around, in the wheel wells as well as complete covering in the boot unlike last gen car.
There is no insulation in the wheel wells - which is clearly being mentioned and shown in a couple of reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
the touchscreen has become very slick
Reviews show clear shots of the touchscreen and makes major complaints on the poor resolution (800*480) of the display. It is far from slick and the display from both lanewatch and reverse camera displays are pixellated.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630142846_youtube.jpg
Source - ODMAG
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630145326_youtube.jpg
Source - Zigwheels.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th June 2020 at 14:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed