Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 21:34   #526
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Considering the fact that the new city is larger in dimensions compared to the 4th generation car , has a new engine with more grunt , more features on its palette, Honda is likely to price it at least a couple of lakhs more than the older generation city especially since they plan to sell both generation cars.
Most of the reviewers do not seem to have any major grudges so pricing is a key determinant.
moncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 21:35   #527
Senior - BHPian

The instrument cluster feels ordinary. I would expect it to be more fancier for the premium which Honda is going to charge.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 21:40   #528
BHPian

Is it just me or this new City looks like a Civity - mix between old City and new Civic. Sort of in no man’s land therefore? No longer the arrow design anymore. Doubt it will garner enough interest, esp with the pricing being discussed. #LongLive
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:11   #529
BHPian

I wish I could go to a near by Honda showroom to see the car but due to covid situations I need to see it's through the internet.

If I was in a market looking for a mid size sedan. I would choose the new City over the facelifted Verna.

My favorites-

•Very sophisticated styling (I prefer it more than my GT Seltos)

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-images-20200630t213239.041.jpeg
Is that a wire hanging under the car?

•Mirrors on both the visors with cover

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630213345_youtube.jpg

•4 auto up and down mirrors (wow factor)

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630213532_youtube.jpg

•Clean, simple and easy to use dashboard and space on offer

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-images-20200630t214949.767.jpeg
That's a usable middle passenger seatbelt. India must make it mandatory for all passengers to wear seatbelt!

•Full size alloy wheel

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630213746_youtube.jpg

•Proper boot cladding

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630213809_youtube.jpg
In my sx4 it's embarrassing to open the naked boot- Well not the case here!

•Two charging outlets in the rear

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630214720_youtube.jpg

Things I am not a fan of-

•Plastic quality 'seems' alittle off and flimsy. Same door handles from the previous generation.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630213100_youtube.jpg

•No electric adjustments for driver seat or ventilated seats
(Anyways found it useless in my Seltos for not having memory seats)

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630215231_youtube.jpg

•Inner top cladding missing

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630213818_youtube.jpg

•If proving mirrors then why no lights in visor? Even Baleno offers it

•No sliding arm rest for the front occupants.

•Fixed headrests is just a big no. Low head room.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630213723_youtube.jpg
I'm allergic to things that pretend. (In spy shots I thought they were gonna be 3 separate adjustable headrests!)

•Tachometer is very simple and boring.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630221341_youtube.jpg
The second needle feels cheap.

Questionable quirk-

•Driver gets a grab handle! Honda's answer to bodyroll

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20200630_215322.jpg

•Our old cars used to have a stick in the tachometer to adjust the brightness. Now there is something more modern that resembles the engine start stop button.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20200630_220830.jpg

This car might not have features like the flashy Verna (facelift overdone design kills) but it's a great car for space (legroom) and practicality. Something more desirable than the Ciaz.

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 30th June 2020 at 22:15.
momsonlydriver is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 23:47   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
For what it’s worth, Faisal khan says the doors feel lighter than the Verna. Waiting for the Team BHP official review.

I don’t like this new car as much as I did the older one. It feels like a boat, bulky and ungainly. I guess it reminds me of the SX4 in ways, but that’s expected when you try to stretch out a C segment sedan. The City is probably a good replacement for the Corolla, with its spacious rear seat space.
Lighter than Verna is not good IMO. The Hyundais are also shedding weight (negative effect as few have observed). If the City is lighter, I bet it's any better than previous City.

I hope the issues that were reported in 4th gen (leaking front windshield, sagging seats, etc) are taken care of now.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 05:12   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For what it’s worth, Faisal khan says the doors feel lighter than the Verna. Waiting for the Team BHP official review.
That reviewer is a ultra-mega-hyper fanboy of Honda City, he will choose a City over a Bugatti Veyron or a Rolls-Royce Phantom if necessary. It is nauseating to watch his reviews and way of talking.

Me personally, I've never understood the hype of the City, I've driven every generation from dolphin up, they felt like poorly put together, budget vehicles and nothing more so than the arrowhead City facelift which was the epitome of poor build quality. The engine is plain boring as well, I wouldn't own a Vtec if I got it for free.

The only redeemable thing of this latest 2020 City are the looks, best looking C sedan presently (previous Verna was the best but facelift ruined it), and I was hoping that Honda would've worked on build quality, screen, haptics etc but from initial reviews, those remain poor as ever.

I'll be personally test driving it though, because opinions can swing almost 90% with a real drive, hope some things have changed for the better.
dark.knight is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 06:26   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The engine is plain boring as well, I wouldn't own a Vtec if I got it for free.

Buddy, I don't know what you're going on about, but VTECs are world famous for being an enthusiasts choice.

I would suggest you go for a longer drive than the one's you had taken earlier. A few pages back as posted by a member, during an Autocar track day the 2014 City beat some big names.

Describing the 1.5VTEC as plain boring - blasphemy!
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20200701_060333.jpg  

John316_WRC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 06:38   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
I respect your views, but mine remain unchanged, the thing I look for is effortless acceleration and torque off the blocks.. Honda engines do not satisfy me that way.

I've driven enough engines (hard) to understand their differences quirks and pluses, from the 4.2 liter F136 Ferrari engine on the Maserati, BMW's diesels all the way down to Asian car engines from 800 cc to 2000 cc, I always side with effortless acceleration and not a valve control that kicks in at 7k rpm.

I know the amount of reverence and worship the Vtecs enjoy, all I'm saying is that one man out there has to have a different view like I do.
dark.knight is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 07:25   #534
BHPian

If you've driven a large variety of cars, then by now you must know that most petrol engines need to be revved for max power, unlike a diesel. And since you prefer effortless acceleration, I'm guessing you like diesels more than petrols.

Also the F136 would most probably produce top torque only upwards of 5k rpm, which means you have to work it, so does that mean the F136 is a boring engine? Nope.
I'm a fan of petrol engines, but that doesn't mean I'll call the Ford 1.5 TDCI plain boring.
Of course you are entitled to your own views. Cheers!
John316_WRC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 07:44   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Honda's Perennial problem in India has always been the Pricing. Right from first gen Jazz to the latest Civic, Honda has always killed the product with its over-ambitious pricing!
You are absolutely right on this point. My brother in law purchased an Amaze VX CVT last month. During the discussion with the Sales Advisor I casually asked about the prices for old honda city and if he is willing to give any discount to clear stock.
The SA clearly mentioned that only standard 50K offer given by Honda is there and nothing else. His main point was that the Next Generation Honda City will atleast be in the range of 14Lakhs to 17 Lakhs Ex Showroom so anyways people will continue buying the older generation.
I dont see the logic in this statement however this gives a hint for me that definitely the new City will be priced a little higher than the current gen otherwise continuing with the current model does not make any sense at all.

Anyways its a matter of a few days now and we will know the final prices.
Old 1st July 2020, 08:29   #536
BHPian

In this situation, and considering the competition from creta and seltos, Honda would do wise to keep prices the same as the older generation. Overpriced is a tag that is hard to get rid of.
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 08:35   #537
BHPian

I am yet to catch-up on the reviews, but Zigwheels mention that both 4h and 5th gen City are going to co-exist. Could Honda be planning on reduce the price of 4th gen to compete with Rapid's pricing?

Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 09:46   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
Buddy, I don't know what you're going on about, but VTECs are world famous for being an enthusiasts choice.

Would tend to agree with you. Calling the existing 1.5 iVTEC as boring may or may not be blasphemy, but most definitely is stretching it a bit But then, there are enthusiasts who prefer a turbo petrol to a NA engine, so preferences may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I know the amount of reverence and worship the Vtecs enjoy, all I'm saying is that one man out there has to have a different view like I do.
Absolutely fine to have a different view point, and point well taken .

I must admit that I myself was not overly enamoured by the City (perhaps due to lack of experience/time with it) till about a year back when it became my daily driver and I started to more closely appreciate its tractable and flexible powerband - especially compared to the newer crop of 3 cylinder turbo petrols which seem to be flooding the market. Now I am a convert and a fan of the 1.5 iVTEC, one of the last good NA petrols in this price range.

I have to say though, that there is absolutely no necessity to wring the engine till 7000 RPM or even anywhere near that region of the powerband - it responds very well right from 2000 RPM, and is developing good power anywhere north of 2500 RPM. Of course, this is from the perspective of my everyday driving usage, whether within the city or on the express way. Not referring to extreme situations of the racetrack or drag racing etc.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 1st July 2020 at 09:49.
arindambasu13 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 10:03   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I have to say though, that there is absolutely no necessity to wring the engine till 7000 RPM or even anywhere near that region of the powerband - it responds very well right from 2000 RPM, and is developing good power anywhere north of 2500 RPM. Of course, this is from the perspective of my everyday driving usage, whether within the city or on the express way. Not referring to extreme situations of the racetrack or drag racing etc.
+1

but I also don’t understand why the 1.6 MPI engine from VW is termed ‘boring’. Unless you’re racing it against a competent sedan from a higher segment, it is good enough to hold its own. Just because it has linear power delivery till about 2500-3000 rpm, it is not a shabby engine by any means. In fact, post those figures, it comes to life and how! Not as silky smooth as the VTEC upon starting, but definitely more grunty (torque wise) at crawl speeds. If that’s still not enough you could always slap in a turbocharger (lots of space in the engine bay)

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 1st July 2020 at 10:04.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 10:20   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1

but I also don’t understand why the 1.6 MPI engine from VW is termed ‘boring’. Unless you’re racing it against a competent sedan from a higher segment, it is good enough to hold its own. Just because it has linear power delivery till about 2500-3000 rpm, it is not a shabby engine by any means.
Interesting. I have not driven this engine at all, but have often heard that it is a bit of an uninspiring powertrain - though some like yourself have mentioned quite the opposite. Need to check this out whenever I get the chance next.

Most Viewed