Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2020, 18:57   #616
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
As much as I love my City ZX, I wish Honda had focused on the HR-V. The C-segment sedan market is nosediving, for the lack of better words. Compact SUVs offer more urban/semi urban practicality, tech features, butch looks (which are all the rage amongst masses) and simlar or better performance levels. The new City looks nice and has some interesting features, but none that will sway a potential buyer from a Seltos or a Creta. If anything, it continues to be under tyred and offers the same levels of performance (albeit with a newer engine design).
As far as I know, Honda did consider the HR-V but then again, pricing it competitively to its competition was not possible.

It is a fair argument that people may prefer the CSUV for the same amount of money but then this disadvantage is with all sedans, even the subcompact segment right upto the Luxury segment.

Also, with the severe risk to life with a Creta, as has been recently discussed on the forum, I wouldn't even touch it with a bargepole. Being properly tyred means nothing if it ain't stopping when you press the brake pedal.
nasa_hubble is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 21:03   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa_hubble View Post
As far as I know, Honda did consider the HR-V but then again, pricing it competitively to its competition was not possible.

We've been hearing this argument for what, 5 years now. Honda is talking as if the HRV is made out of gold and titanium. And while they bask in their high headedness, the Koreans have not just completely conquered the 12-20L segment, they have also reduced the sedans to also rans. Creta + Seltos combined sell more in a month than what City will sell in an entire year!

Even VW and Skoda are throwing punches with Karoq and T Roc. Jeep also finds 300-500 customers every month for the cramped yet expensive Compass. Honda chooses to live in its own world.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 4th July 2020 at 21:13.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 21:58   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

We've been hearing this argument for what, 5 years now. Honda is talking as if the HRV is made out of gold and titanium. And while they bask in their high headedness, the Koreans have not just completely conquered the 12-20L segment, they have also reduced the sedans to also rans. Creta + Seltos combined sell more in a month than what City will sell in an entire year!

Even VW and Skoda are throwing punches with Karoq and T Roc. Jeep also finds 300-500 customers every month for the cramped yet expensive Compass. Honda chooses to live in its own world.
This is not an argument. It is a fact. Truth be told, the dealers themselves were not too optimistic with the car at that pricing, with a competitor like the Creta.

There is a reason why the Japanese don't price their cars cheap. Although now the localisation has increased in the cars but initially they did not even want to part with their tooling know-how, etc. for localisation of parts. Honda not bringing the HR-V, if they cannot beat the Creta in sales maybe a good decision, IMHO. No need to create market duds due to high prices and lose from the Koreans. Not everything can be extrapolated on the sales numbers.

As for the brands you mentioned above VW, Skoda, Jeep, they are barely surviving in this market. I wouldn't want to own them as a business in India.

As for Koreans conquering the market vs the Japs, please go through the thread on market share by BHPian Volkman. Since last 5-6 odd years, Maruti despite being the market leader gained 8% market share and commands a total of 50+% from earlier 42% levels. Hyundai has not gained market share since last 6-7 years. It is stagnant. The reason the absolute number of Hyundai's has risen is because the market size has increased.

nasa_hubble is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 22:53   #619
BHPian

The video review of overdrive shows the City's nose scraping on incline. This will be a deal breaker for many. With the otherwise positive media reviews, I fear Honda would get carried away and price it at a premium over the existing City. Ideally they should start with the base variant just a shade below 10 lac atleast for a limited time till the demand stabilises. The price could be raised for the MY2021. It is always good to create a huge waitlist than start offering discounts within 6 months. Honda needs to be reminded that the base price of its competing models are
Verna - Rs. 9.30 lac,
Ciaz - Rs 8.31 lacs,
Rapid - Rs. 7.49 lacs
Vento - Rs. 8.84 lacs
Yaris - Rs 8.74 lacs (9.46 lacs for CVT and 10.10 lacs for CVTwith 7 airbags)

Wish Honda comes out with sensible and aggressive pricing.
DImPo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 23:02   #620
Senior - BHPian

There is no base model 5th gen City. The SV and V variants will be the 4th gen City that is already selling in BS6 avatar. The 5th gen City will be replacing the VX and ZX variants of the 4th gen City at an expected price bump of 1 lakh rupees over their respective variants.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 23:14   #621
Senior - BHPian

I really can't get my head around the new Honda iteration. One one hand it is an excellent car but on the other it seems someone in Honda has run out of the ideas department.

Looks
I am of the opinion that the only part of the new model that looks better than the previous generation is the rear and we've got BMW to thank for that. In every other angle the current generation beats the new generation hands down. Those overhangs in the front and back. God! Didn't someone think about proportions in the Honda design department before they went and did a Toyota Yaris on it?

Engine
Excellent engine. But it's been excellent for the past decade and then some. DOHC isn't new is it? And this is not a Baleno competitor that we are talking of here. Lastly I don't see why the hell Honda can't put this engine in the current model and be done with it.

interiors
Yeah, so the dashboard looks a bit nicer, you've finally got rid of that damned touch screen AC adjustments, replaced those with some beautifully knurled knobs, put in some fab looking seats and that's it. Wait, those heavenly rear seats are even more comfortable. But I don't think anyone was complaining. And looking at how 20 lakh SUVs are flying off the shelves, it's evident that no one was really into the City just for the back seat comfort. And given the fact that the wheelbase in the same, they could have put those seats in the existing generation too.

Chassis
Yes it's 20 percent stiffer and they have made the suspension softer. Go figure.

Price
This takes the cake. For all these changes, all of which we could have had in the current model which looks much better to me, they are going to charge us more!! As if the existing pony was cheap!

Where are they going to price it? To compete with the Civic, or the Elantra? I may/will have to eat humble pie at the final sales numbers but to me this is one of the most ridiculous generation strategies that I have seen from Honda in India so far. They could have kept plugging the current generation for a year or two till they recruited someone smart in the product division. Such a screw-up of their flagship in India.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 4th July 2020 at 23:16.
shibujp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 23:42   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
With the otherwise positive media reviews, I fear...
Media houses go gaga over every new car during the initial media drives. I won't blame them, it's business after all.

We'll have a clear picture only after 5-6 months of sales data and ownership reports are out.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 08:50   #623
BHPian

No wonder Honda City is a workhorse. Somehow, This gen city did not connect with me.
I still feel Honda cant reach the elegant look that was with the City Type2. After Type 2, All those dolphin models were not that great (My Personal Opinion)

Wish Honda could have worked on the Amaze styling as a base for the new city. Somehow, New Amaze's flat front end looks more appealing than this latest city.
Old 6th July 2020, 23:16   #624
Team-BHP Support

City 'grand concept' explained -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 11:50   #625
BHPian

Another pictorial comparison of the two City’s, this time from the rear. The old bulky and ungainly backside has been replaced by a ... slimmer but still bulky backside?

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-6e848426a5094ff49fba1610ccd459e7.jpeg

Image Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCNYnrKAa07/

Note from Support: Image source needs to be provided please. Thank you!

Last edited by aah78 : 11th July 2020 at 02:44. Reason: Source added. Spacing.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 12:57   #626
Senior - BHPian

2020 HONDA CITY RS TURBO-PETROL UNDER CONSIDERATION FOR INDIA

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2020hondacityrsthaispecweb01.jpg

Honda Car India is evaluating the possibility of introducing a sportier RS version of the new Honda City set to debut in India on July 15. This comes in the wake of turbo-petrol engine options being offered in the City's rivals such as the Verna and Rapid.

The Honda City RS is already available in Thailand where it is powered by a 1.0-litre three-cylinder Turbo VTEC that makes 122 PS at 5,500 rpm and 173 Nm between 2,000 to 4,500 rpm. This is mated to the seven-step CVT available in the petrol City in India. The City RS also gets upsized 16-inch tyres.

The RS version also gets quite a few cosmetic and feature upgrades over the standard car. There is a blacked-out grille with RS -badging and a honeycomb pattern, a sportier bumper with slatted fog-lamp inserts, a unique Ignite Red paint option, new alloy wheel design, a different rear bumper with faux diffusers and blacked-out mirrors and rear spoiler.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2020hondacityrsthaispecweb02.jpg

On the inside, the RS version comes with an all-black interior, aluminium pedals and red contrasting stitching. The Thai-version gets red-accented physical dials unlike the Indian car, but a similar change can be expected here. Other than this many of the features of the Indian car is available, Safety is taken care of with six airbags.

Source

Last edited by CarguyNish : 7th July 2020 at 12:59.
CarguyNish is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:58   #627
BHPian

Somebody more knowledgeable about engine performance can explain, why are automakers so keen on erstwhile 3 cylinder engines with poor 1 litre capcity? How do they justify this?
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 15:08   #628
BHPian

I would like this car to go bonkers with at least a 150 HP engine. If they're evaluating the 1.0 l they should do it for wrv, jazz & amaze.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 15:11   #629
BHPian

I have been watching review from Faisal khan and the way he is managing to drive 2020 Honda City Diesel has certainly raised my eyebrows. No doubt this very practical diesel engine from the beginning but now improved NVH levels and rev-free nature of the engine makes it more delightful and stress free drive.

Some additional observations are marked in which looks it helped this engine to perform more in terms of reliability and performance,
1) Increased height of engine air intake pipe - In previous model it was relatively at lower height (I believe) so there was chances that if the vehicle is passed through water logged street it might get sucked in. The new intake tubing has relatively less turns and twist, consequences of this engine breaths more freely.
2) Addition of engine air intake resonator - provided smooth and continuous air flow.
3) From the turbo actuator it is bit difficult to say but it seems that they have new turbo and I am hoping it is VNT (being optimistic ) or it could be FGT turbo with actuator which works on vacuum and has sensor on it.
4) DPF filter built with CAT-CON.

I just hope they keep service intervals to 10,000 km /12 months for this.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-capture1.jpg  

akshay386 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 15:35   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Somebody more knowledgeable about engine performance can explain, why are automakers so keen on erstwhile 3 cylinder engines with poor 1 litre capcity? How do they justify this?
Let me put in this way,
1) 1 lit capacity = Less the capacity of engine - lesser the fuel burned - lesser the CO emission - emission norms met by the company
2) 3 Cylinder = 1 less cylinder which means less moving parts - reduced manufacturing cost which required for key components like piston,connecting rod etc. - reduced cost of engine - reduction in weight of the engine as well

I hope this make sense.
akshay386 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed