Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 15:11   #676
Senior - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
If this is true, I stand by my previous statement. Gen 5 City will be dead on arrival. Honda’s continued obsession of milking the Indian customer and offering trinkets for the fortune charged will be their death knell in India. The City was already about 3L more expensive than a similarly equipped and equally capable Ciaz. Add another 1.2L to the ex showroom price, and we are looking at a difference of about 4.5L in on road prices. All I can say is, well,

The lane watch camera is the only new ‘feature’ here. And as multiple Civic reviews will tell you, it is rather gimmicky. And an expensive replacement in case an errant biker nicks it off. Rest, everything else is there on the competitors as well.
Well I will list some features that are either not a part of its leading competitor or are segment first-

1) All windows one touch up and down
2) Remote windows and sunroof open and close
3) Ambient lighting
4) Lane watch camera
5) Auto fold/ unfold mirrors on lock and unlock (Yes, new Verna misses out on this)
6) Walkaway auto locking doors
7) Tyre Deflation warning system (is it TPMS, and is it available on Verna?)
8) LED fog lamps

Seems pretty well kitted imo. It loses out on the Smart trunk and the Cooled seats of the verna, but other than that, combined with the extremely roomy cabin and the additional features, certainly seems like a great product. Only downside would be the premium pricing and the (NOW) questionable Honda ASS.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 17:44   #677
BHPian

4 airbags in a base model I am sold. Way to go Honda, so many safety features on a base variant. If I am in marker for a City, I would go with V variant, then slap on some good aftermarket alloys and faux leather seats and live happily ever after.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 22:30   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Have you forgotten something which turbo engines offer-stupendous mid range torque. And only for India, why would Honda make a 150 bhp turbo city?
Agree with your points however since this is a 3 cyl engine, the refinement is a grey area. There also more moving parts in a turbo hence more chances of something going wrong.
The other thing is that NA engines have power on tap and you get instant acceleration compared to lag on turbos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
A 1L CVT breaking into the 8s? This has officially piqued my interest. Are you sure it's stock?
Agreed that a turbo extracts more power however it is only smart if they price it lower than the NA which I don’t see happening.
Besides a CVT 1.0 claiming 8 seconds for 0-100 is great, if only it translates to the real world otherwise those times are usually seen on dual clutch transmissions.

Last edited by alikidwhy : 8th July 2020 at 22:31. Reason: Wrong quote
Old 8th July 2020, 23:30   #679
BHPian

Read through the news that Honda is considering a 3-pot turbo-petrol for the new City that makes 120 BHP/173 NM.

Maybe I've missed something, but not able to understand what is so special about this engine/car for it to be worth the premium pricing.

The Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI offers similar engine specs (108 BHP/175NM) at a much lesser ex-showroom.

Is it just the increased interior space for which Honda is demanding the additional premium? Shouldn't it get a more premium engine commensurate with the premium pricing?

We have a Brio as the 2nd car in the family and Honda is a much loved brand. However, this new City appears to be ridiculously overpriced for what it offers. It looks like Honda doesn't want to offer competent engines with its flagship car in such a competitive playing field in 2020, which is a sign of either gross ignorance or deliberate incompetence.

Last edited by GoBlue : 8th July 2020 at 23:42.
GoBlue is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 02:13   #680
GBX
BHPian

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2019_12_17_honda_city_10.jpg

Graph plotting the power-torque curves of the 1L turbo against the 1.5L and 1.8L N/A engines. The turbo trounces the 1.5 and nearly matches the 1.8 as well. Incidentally, the new Civic is available with the 1L turbo in some parts of the world. Wish Honda would plonk the 1L in our Civic, just to make scribes and enthusiasts lose their minds.

I also think we're wrongly attributing anything less than peak-torque as "lag" in turbo engines. That doesn't seem to be the case, it's simply the punch of the peak torque which makes everything before that seem "laggy". Not saying there isn't any lag in modern turbos, but you'd have to be in the really wrong gear at the really wrong time to bring it out.

Also note the watercooled intercooler for the hot Thai weather. We already have turbo engines coming with 6year warranties and being the defacto standard for diesel engines. Things like this intercooler would further remove the stigma that turbos are unreliable.

Image source: headlightmag.com
GBX is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 09:08   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post

Tyres bit small for its size but I would say it looks more elegant than the 4th gen city which had a sportier but busier look.
Its surprising that Honda has retained the same tyre size. When the competition started offering 195 and 205 section tyres years ago, Honda is contented with puny 185 section tyres in 2020!
vishnu.t91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 09:28   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Somebody more knowledgeable about engine performance can explain, why are automakers so keen on erstwhile 3 cylinder engines with poor 1 litre capcity? How do they justify this?
They are pulling wool over people's eyes. The sole reason for such a low displacement turbocharged powerplant is efficiency, efficiency, efficiency. It is not meant to be a performance model like the Civic Type-R models sold overseas. The whole point is to meet emissions norms and offer Indian mindset levels of fuel efficiency while being above average in terms of performance. By no means should one expect this to be a scorcher.
Old 9th July 2020, 11:29   #683
Senior - BHPian

Current gen V variant is retailing for 13.15L here in Bangalore. With added kit, newer engine and bigger size, new gen City will for sure breach 14L for the V variant. The Verna SX VTVT retails for about 13.5L, 50K premium for sure is quite a lot, however I am sure Honda executive to justify saying "Our car is longer". More than interior space, size of the car is important factor in India.

Last edited by PrideRed : 9th July 2020 at 11:31.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:07   #684
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if the 2020 City (5tg Gen) variants start from V as there's a variant with all black basic interiors (refer - https://www.cartoq.com/2020-all-new-...se-trim-video/). Looks like E variant of 3th Gen which one of our reputed member bought.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:08   #685
BHPian

Honda City : For some reason this is associated with premium in our country men, despite competitors catching up and doing well. The aspiring Indian Middle - Upper Middle Class associate City with "Having made it" in life. At these prices I would be hard pressed to justify the City over its competitors. Heck this goes neck to neck against the Creta and Seltos, which are way more desirable in our Junta's eyes.

My boss, who worked for Tata Motors in the past considers City to be Premium and has asked why I spent a small fortune on a Tata (My Nexon XZA+), so perceptions are hard to change I guess.

Our country is a strange one where the Rapid Rider which offers incredible value for money does 3 digits while the mighty Fortuner which is ~ 4 - 5 times the price of the Rapid comfortably does 2 - 3 times the volume of the Rider.

For this reason alone, I wouldn't write off the City yet
charanreddy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:26   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Not sure if the 2020 City (5tg Gen) variants start from V as there's a variant.
That is thailand City video.
I believe in India City will indeed start from V model and maybe later they will launch another base one if it doesn't sells due to high price.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:50   #687
BHPian

For someone who is not too keen on a sunroof, the V variant has pretty much everything that one needs and then some. I'm expecting the V manual to be somewhere between 14L and 15L, and the V CVT to be between 15L and 16L (OTR B'lore).
nikipedia87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 20:59   #688
BHPian

There are two things to be factored here IMHO:

1. Since Honda City was launched and even till Dolphin model and much later, Maruti was a poor cousin. Now, they have managed to catch up with the quality of Ciaz "nearly" comparable to the City, at almost ~30% lower price. Add to that the cheaper spares and service cost. Simultaneously, Honda has reduced its build quality as well as the fit and finish making Ciaz as a tough competitor.

2. Coming to features. Throw 15 lakh at Kia or a Hector and you wouldn't even stop counting the features.

Honda should not make the mistake which Toyota did with Yaris
low_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 21:31   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Not sure if the 2020 City (5tg Gen) variants start from V as there's a variant with all black basic interiors (refer - https://www.cartoq.com/2020-all-new-...se-trim-video/). Looks like E variant of 3th Gen which one of our reputed member bought.
This is why tbhp community is so fantastic. We get original views based on actual usage, self reviews etc.

Websites need to be cautious about posting random YouTube videos I feel. This one for e.g. is a based on video from Thailand base variant. This website has no logic to suggest this is relevant or not for India. It just posted blindly. Click bait!
Old 9th July 2020, 22:46   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Walkaround and a close look at the White & Brown Citys:

RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks