Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2020, 12:14   #826
Senior - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
In this segment, only 2 cars are assured safe: Rapid and Vento. The India spec PQ25 platform has undergone multiple tests under GNCAP and is rated ‘STABLE’ along with the 4 stars. Hardly any Indian car can boast of a stable chassis under duress.
Tests done a half a decade ago are not comparable to test done today. Each year testing and grading pattern is modified. A 5 star Punto from 2005 won't get a 5 star rating in 2020.

Also a platform cannot be tested. If you mean cars born out of a common platform were tested then even that statement has no basis for assumption that all cars sharing that very platform are equally safe.
Nithesh_M is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 14:20   #827
BHPian

Price of comparable models of all the C segment cars are listed in the photo. There will be some give and take in terms of features but 'must have' features are standard for models compared.

City indeed looks well priced for all its variants. Even the CVT and Diesel models are priced well.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20200719_141620.jpg  

Turbokick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 17:12   #828
BHPian

Pricing has been spot on. The base V variant is decently specced and priced well too. I hope it goes on to become a crowd puller. I anticipate it'll draw a lot of prospective Creta/Seltos customers too.
sanyog26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 18:34   #829
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know what the V MT Petrol costs onroad Karnataka? Much like our Nissan dealer who shut shop the Honda dealer too has shut shop. The replacement dealer is taking months to revamp the recently shut Toyota dealership(yeah that's like Inception now) so I am unable to ride 60kms into the next town to get a quote yet.
Old 19th July 2020, 18:46   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Does anyone know what the V MT Petrol costs onroad Karnataka? Much like our Nissan dealer who shut shop the Honda dealer too has shut shop. The replacement dealer is taking months to revamp the recently shut Toyota dealership(yeah that's like Inception now) so I am unable to ride 60kms into the next town to get a quote yet.
INR 13,11,904 according to this
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 20:01   #831
Senior - BHPian

That would be the absolute minimum I think. At 10.5l the Seltos HTK hits 13.1l before Extended warranty and that standard kit plonks it to 13.5l OTR.

The Honda is a cool 40k above the Seltos here so I imagine the OTR would be nearing 13.5l before Extended warranty and other options kick in.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 12:43   #832
BHPian

It is INR 13,66,372/- according to Carwale, Bangalore On-road before extended warranty and other add-ons for the V MT Petrol.
Old 20th July 2020, 12:46   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Have a query for fellow BHPians. Do the side curtain and front i-SRS side airbags serve the same purpose or is one better than the other.
Even I was interested in this, since this i-SRS is being advertised in the brochure as is something new (read a new technology).
arijit_chat2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:07   #834
BHPian

The Honda City's competition isn't with the other sedans in the segment. It's with the Seltos and the Creta. And even as a happy owner of the 3rd gen, If I we're looking for a C segment car today, I'd buy the Seltos. Because the Seltos has moved the benchmark of C segment almost into the D segment.

Last edited by evil_grin : 20th July 2020 at 13:09.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:23   #835

Can someone comment on the sheet metal thickness, please? Has that been improved over the outgoing model?
Old 20th July 2020, 13:48   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyog26 View Post
Pricing has been spot on. The base V variant is decently specced and priced well too. I hope it goes on to become a crowd puller. I anticipate it'll draw a lot of prospective Creta/Seltos customers too.
It would definitely be interesting to see the impact on CSUV segment. However, I think it will take away few of Ciaz, Verna customers. It will not impact Creta/Seltos numbers. City is a family sedan. While Creta/Seltos appeal to all or both family and younger generations. They simply don't have any competition.
daredevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:52   #837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
The Honda City's competition isn't with the other sedans in the segment. It's with the Seltos and the Creta.
Interestingly, in developed markets like the US - Seltos competes in the price range of the Civic, with both base and top variants priced slightly higher than the Honda.

(Seltos gets better engine options there, and so does the Civic!)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:14   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
The Honda City's competition isn't with the other sedans in the segment. It's with the Seltos and the Creta. And even as a happy owner of the 3rd gen, If I we're looking for a C segment car today, I'd buy the Seltos. Because the Seltos has moved the benchmark of C segment almost into the D segment.
Really ? Has Seltos impressed you that much ?

In January this year, my cousin bought a Seltos HTX Diesel. First Impressions were very good, it felt nice overall. Engine is very refined and braking is confidence inspiring compared to Creta. Interiors are good and feature list is decent (Only Referring to variant we have). At 17.8 lakhs, it is cheaper compared to HTX+ & GTX+ variants. This was the lone reason he chose HTX.

Fast Forward to 2020 July, post the launch of New City, except the added ground clearance, and obvious SUV looks, the Creta & Seltos don't feel to be that worthy compared to this new City. If you look at it overall, the City is Nice & Premium Looking on Outside, so are those 2 C-SUVs, Inside All 3 are equally good, but the City does feel a bit more plusher to me. Space & Comfort, the City easily outclasses the Creta & Seltos. Now, the Ride Quality wasn't that good in 3rd & 4th Gen City, but its now Best in Class. New Creta does seem to still have brake issues although it is much better than earlier model. When it comes to features, all 3 are very well equipped, but Honda has nailed it when it comes to safety features. IMO its an Excellent Move, except ABS & EBD, Dual Airbags, there are nothing in our Seltos HTX. You have these as standard in Base City itself. In Creta only the top spec SX(O) & SX get them. Next, After sales of both Hyundai & Honda is good, while Kia is a new entrant.

The City does everything right and is cheaper than Creta & Seltos by at least 2.5-3 lakhs. So, one is paying that much premium for SUV Looks & Ground Clearance. If those 2 are not a mandatory, i don't know why would anyone buy the Creta/Seltos over the New City.

I know 2 of my immediate family members who have booked Creta, one already has 4th Gen City & other one doesn't buy any other brand apart from Hyundai.

Even if we consider few BHPians who have bought Creta, including one exceptional case of D BHPian RavenAvi, who had both 3rd Gen City & 4th Gen City and also Older Creta, will be taking his delivery of New Creta shortly. I know why he has chosen Creta over City, if it wasn't that lone reason he would have bought New City eyes closed.
CarguyNish is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:14   #839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Interestingly, in developed markets like the US - Seltos competes in the price range of the Civic, with both base and top variants priced slightly higher than the Honda.

(Seltos gets better engine options there, and so does the Civic!)
I’d like to think that the Seltos gets a much better suspension there. May or may not be multlink, but it should surely ride a lot better if it competes with the Civic. The ride quality of the Indian Seltos is just a grade above trash, overall. The Civic is fairly sorted in comparison.
Old 20th July 2020, 14:14   #840
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Have a query for fellow BHPians. Do the side curtain and front i-SRS side airbags serve the same purpose or is one better than the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit_chat2006 View Post
Even I was interested in this, since this i-SRS is being advertised in the brochure as is something new (read a new technology).
Yes. The i-SRS airbags are different from the conventional ones. This new system was developed by Honda in 2008 for the driver's airbag.

Quote:
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that it has developed the world's first driver-side i-SRS airbag system that continuously stages the volume of airbag-inflating gas, thereby combining enhanced occupant protection with reduced occupant impact.

A Honda innovation, the new i-SRS airbag system features a spiral-shaped seam structure and gas release control valve to control airbag deployment and pressure for faster deployment, reduced occupant impact and a longer period of inflation and occupant protection. As a result, the new system accommodates a broad range of occupant positions and potential collision situations.
Conventional airbags
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-02.jpg

i-SRS airbags
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-01.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-04.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-03.jpg

Quote:
Faster deployment
Since the system can pressurize the airbag faster, it can begin to protect the driver sooner. The spiral structure of the airbag allows the protective surface to be formed at a lower overall airbag volume, thereby providing protection faster than was previously possible.

Longer period of inflation and protection
The new system maintains a constant pressure within the airbag, thereby allowing for a longer period of inflation and protection. The seams within the spiral structure of the airbag are designed to expand from the inside of the spiral outward, thereby maintaining a constant pressure while continuously staging airbag inflation. From the moment of deployment until the preset moment of deflation, the airbag is designed not to release gas, thereby maintaining a constant pressure and occupant protection.

Reduced impact
By minimizing the degree of protrusion into occupant space and lowering the gas output of the inflator, the new system reduces impact on the driver. Unique spiral seams within the airbag help reduce the degree of airbag protrusion and impact on driver. From the moment of deployment until the preset moment of deflation, the gas control valve prevents the release of gas. This efficient use of gas allows for reduced inflator output and reduced occupant impact.
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-05.jpg

Source : Honda global

Last edited by OSH : 20th July 2020 at 14:42.
OSH is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks