Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2020, 14:17   #841
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

I agree that the V MT Petrol pricing is a masterstroke from Honda, however we have to bear in mind that the soft pads, be it on the passenger side dashboard or on the sides of the gear lever center area are only available on the ZX variant and not on the V or VX. So, the desirability quotient goes a notch down there. Not worried about the sunroof and the likes (personally i am not a big fan of the sunroof). But if i were to purchase the V MT, i would definitely miss the 4 tweeters (V only gets 4 speakers), and definitely the additional 2 airbags (again V comes with 4).
arijit_chat2006 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 15:14   #842
BHPian

Personally I am really impressed with the pricing on this city gen. I was honestly expecting it to be more expensive. So much so that I didn't even care much when Ford introduced the lower variant of Ecosport Titanium AT (It used to my favourite CSUV till Ford messed up the lower variants).

One thing I do find a bit annoying is Honda's insistence on not providing adjustable headrests at the rear and now even changing the shape of the front headrest for the top variant vs the lower ones.

Images are attached (taken from YouTube variant reviews). Do the ones on ZX help to reduce whiplash (if so, for a car that's well loaded on safety front even on the lower variants it's a small but annoying miss)?
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200720150751.png  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200720150841.png  

JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 15:26   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Really ? Has Seltos impressed you that much ?

In January this year, my cousin bought a Seltos HTX Diesel. First Impressions were very good, it felt nice overall. Engine is very refined and braking is confidence inspiring compared to Creta. Interiors are good and feature list is decent (Only Referring to variant we have). At 17.8 lakhs, it is cheaper compared to HTX+ & GTX+ variants. This was the lone reason he chose HTX.
Yes, the Seltos has impressed me that much. I went for a drive within the city on a friend's GTX DCT petrol. The quality of the all black interiors, the comfortable suspension over bad roads (even better than my city on Teins) and the way it quickly picked up speed made it feel almost like a D segment car instead of a C segment one. In fact, I was thinking had I bought this one instead of the Octavia, I could have saved about 8 lakhs. While the Octavia is better on the highway, the Seltos is better within the city, where I spend most of my time.

Yes, it is pricier than the City. And granted, I haven't yet tried out the 2020 city yet. But the reason I didn't even consider the Seltos when I was buying another car last year was both the company and the model were new in India. It was too risky (ironical considering I bought a Skoda with the infamous DQ200 DSG - known devil and all).

Last edited by evil_grin : 20th July 2020 at 15:32.
evil_grin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:56   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
The VX will do very well. It has everything minus ventilated seats which is an essential in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Decently priced. I like the VX model as it has almost everything I wanted and the Sunroof to please my Home Minister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
- My pick of the range is the VX, not the base variant. Adds equipment such as curtain airbags, auto-dimming IRVM, electric sunroof, diamond cut 16 inch alloys, 4 tweeters for the music system, leather steering and gear knob, colour TFT MID etc - good package for the premium positioning of the City.
on the VFM of the VX variant, but now torn over the additional Rs. 89,000 for ZX variant Here're are extra features in the order of (my personal) appeal and possibility for future addition.

1. 9 LED Headlights with turn indicators (adds oomph to the front; possible to add later)
  2. Lanewatch camera (would be especially useful while parallel parking; not sure if possible to add later?)
  3. Auto folding OVRM (nice to have; should be possible to add later)
  4. Leather seats (easier to clean; should be possible to add later)
  5. LED Fog and rear reading lamps (nice to have; should be possible to add later)
  6. Leather knee/arm/door pad/rests (easier to clean; should be possible to add later)
  7. Map and footwell lights (nice to have; should be possible to add later)
  8. All 4 power windows (decent to have; might be possible to add later?)
  9. Rear sunshade (ok to have; easily added later)
  10. Rear garnish on dash (not my preference)
  11. Remote window/sunroof operation (not my preference)
  12. Wood garnish on dash (not my preference)
  13. Chrome garnish on door handles (not my preference)
  14. Chrome garnish on interior lights (not my preference)

Do you guys think these are worth the extra Rs. 89,000? Any idea on how much would features like 9-LED Headlamps with turn indicators and Lanewatch camera cost to add later

Last edited by Eddy : 20th July 2020 at 17:44. Reason: Extra smiley
iamitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:19   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
on the VFM of the VX variant, but now torn over the additional Rs. 89,000 for ZX variant Here're are extra features in the order of (my personal) appeal and possibility for future addition.
honestly, I believe the pair of LED lamps alone are worth over Rs. 40k, speculating from the bills I've seen for post accident replacements on other cars like Mercedes. The lanewatch camera will mandate replacement of the ORVM as well to house the fittings, something which recently cost Rs. 22000 on a friend's Kia Seltos.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th July 2020 at 17:44. Reason: shortened the quote for better readability
lemedico is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:33   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
honestly, I believe the pair of LED lamps alone are worth over Rs. 40k, speculating from the bills I've seen for post accident replacements on other cars like Mercedes. The lanewatch camera will mandate replacement of the ORVM as well to house the fittings, something which recently cost Rs. 22000 on a friend's Kia Seltos.
Now Rs. 89,000 does seem justifiable to pay
iamitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 18:59   #847
Senior - BHPian

I am late to the party, but here are my observations about the New 2020 City and the Launch:
  • Online Booking Amount was only Rs.5000/- and the Booking Amount at the Dealership is at Rs.21,000/- which is something that has been lowered in comparison to the original 4th Gen Booking amount of Rs.51,000.
  • I did not see as part of the Launch Video or the posts within the last 2-3 pages here on our group mention any data points about the number of bookings that Honda has received. Does this mean Honda did not have a decent number of bookings to brag about as of the launch date ? Seems likely to me. They may have fine tuned the pricing based on the lukewarm response they got in terms of the bookings. Both the Kia Seltos and Hyundai Creta launch called out the number of bookings they had got and also provided details such as what percentage had opted for Automatics etc around the time of launch
  • I believe the Diesel CVT is a missed opportunity but the logic provided by CrAzY dRiVeR (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4845812) looks like a big reason for the miss.
  • Honda has kept the wheelbase the same and increased the length of the car and the reviews are saying the suspension has been made softer. A combination of all these hints at this car being a potential bottom scraper. We have to wait for more real world Test Drives to emerge on this.
  • There is scope to bring in the Turbo Petrol variant in future given the good pricing from Honda. I believe they should, given that the competition boasts of Turbo Petrols.
  • Personally I like the looks of the 4th Gen Facelift as compared to the 5th Gen from outside but the resemblance to Civic/Accord is what Honda wants to play with and it may work for them.
  • How will the competition react? I guess Ciaz will continue with its Value for Money Tag. For people on a budget there is nothing that beats the Ciaz at that price point. Ciaz Delta AT Costs 12.26 L OTR BLR and City V CVT costs 15.27 L OTR BLR. (Verna SX IVT costs 14.96 L OTR BLR) 3 Lakhs is a big gap and there is no threat to the Ciaz VFM tag. Verna has the Diesel AT and if they bring the iMT - those maybe differentiators.
  • The C2 Sedan segment is a mature segment and I think all 3 cars, City, Ciaz and Verna will do well given that there are differences between these that appeal to various types of buyers. Will City take the lead again - chances seem fairly high given that the overall packing and pricing is excellent.
    But then again the Sedan sales figures will nowhere be near what Seltos/Creta twins are clocking!

Now that the City has been released, I hope Honda can focus on the future and speed up their plans of bringing in something in the C-SUV segment which is where the sales numbers are....

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 20th July 2020 at 19:00.
vsrivatsa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:07   #848
BHPian

Oh wow! In just three pages most of the people are OK with the overall pricing of the New City. Honda did the unexpected. Though we have endless debate on City vs CSUV’s, for the sedan lovers like me, we have a wonderful set in the form of City (Petrol and AT’s) and Verna (for diesel) available now.

Hope the leader is back in the segment and I already see some positive vibes here and in the family circles
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:21   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. 9 LED Headlights with turn indicators (adds oomph to the front; possible to add later)
  2. Lanewatch camera (would be especially useful while parallel parking; not sure if possible to add later?)
  3. Auto folding OVRM (nice to have; should be possible to add later)
  4. Leather seats (easier to clean; should be possible to add later)
  5. LED Fog and rear reading lamps (nice to have; should be possible to add later)
  6. Leather knee/arm/door pad/rests (easier to clean; should be possible to add later)
  7. Map and footwell lights (nice to have; should be possible to add later)
  8. All 4 power windows (decent to have; might be possible to add later?)
  9. Rear sunshade (ok to have; easily added later)
  10. Rear garnish on dash (not my preference)
  11. Remote window/sunroof operation (not my preference)
  12. Wood garnish on dash (not my preference)
  13. Chrome garnish on door handles (not my preference)
  14. Chrome garnish on interior lights (not my preference)

Do you guys think these are worth the extra Rs. 89,000? Any idea on how much would features like 9-LED Headlamps with turn indicators and Lanewatch camera cost to add later
Quote:
I will tell you this that the LED headlamps with turn indicators alone is worth the upgrade to ZX. It makes the car from a segment higher and you will be most probably regretting if you don't buy it now particularly since you seem to have the budget. Also, the leather seats & doorpads along with map & footwell lights will uplift the ambience. I don't know if you have done the research but fitting those LED headlamps after-market is not going to be easy or cheap along with all the hassles regarding warranty. Go for the ZX, if you can. I am assuming here that you want to keep the car for a long time and a couple of years later, you will probably feel good that you stretched a bit. Good luck
adimicra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:41   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Simply put, if you really want them, nothing beats factory fit and ready to use from day 1! Go for the ZX indeed
lemedico is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 20:31   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Tests done a half a decade ago are not comparable to test done today. Each year testing and grading pattern is modified. A 5 star Punto from 2005 won't get a 5 star rating in 2020.
Global NCAP tests have not changed since inception. The Altroz tested recently went through the same grading scheme as the first cars tested under the scheme. Euro NCAP and others have been updated but these are not relevant to our market.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 20:39   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Global NCAP tests have not changed since inception. The Altroz tested recently went through the same grading scheme as the first cars tested under the scheme.
Yet they oddly violated their own terms by testing the top end model of the Altroz instead of the base models they said they normally do. Never found out why.

Anyway you may want to read the last line under how does Global Ncap crash test cars. They have changed tests after every few years and added more parameters to include and test cars with sensors that detect and avoid accidents and so on.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...sh-test-410355
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 21:24   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have changed tests after every few years and added more parameters to include and test cars with sensors that detect and avoid accidents and so on.
ACI quote is "Also, note, NCAP protocols change every couple of years to include more tests or features" which is true in general e.g. Euro NCAP has changed their rating system.

But Global NCAP has not - it's exactly the same test since inception.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 23:02   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Yet they oddly violated their own terms by testing the top end model of the Altroz instead of the base models they said they normally do. Never found out why.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...h-tests-415613

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-altroz.png
Karthik Chandra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 23:59   #855
Senior - BHPian

Looks impressive, I hope this car is consistently built well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
So, one is paying that much premium for SUV Looks & Ground Clearance. If those 2 are not a mandatory, i don't know why would anyone buy the Creta/Seltos over the New City.
Also add flexibility to the list. After folding the rear seats, one get much more cargo capacity compared to sedans. Looking at Creta vs City sales will tell you what the customer prefers. People are willing to compromise on legroom to get a higher ride height, better ground clearance, and flexible luggage room.

It's a worldwide trend that people are ditching sedans for crossovers/SUVs.

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2020 at 05:51. Reason: typo fixed
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed