Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2020, 15:25   #901
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

This is the offer listed on Ackodrive.com, which shows 4th Gen City ZX CVT to be available with discount of Rs. 2 lakhs .
I am sure there will still be scope for 10,000-20,000 Rs.
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20200724-3.22.31-pm.jpeg
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 23:00   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
City compared with Creta
It’s not a comparison between City and Creta here. Its more of an comparison on the Sedan vs SUV form and other factors.

PS: not much interesting.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 04:30   #903
BHPian

I actually had my mind set on the City but after drawing out a table between City ZX CVT and Creta SX IVT, features like pano sunroof, superior ICE, auto hold, air purifier, drive mode, ambient lighting, rear sunshade, rear washer, folding seats, puddle lamps and rear disc brakes seem totally worth the Rs. 50,000 extra for Creta.

Without reiterating the form factor, GC and driveability which have been discussed earlier, Honda gets leather upholstery, lane watch camera, all 4 one touch windows and a digital tachometer which are nice to have features but not essentials in my opinion.

I am guessing the naturally aspirated petrol engines mated to a CVT gearbox would be comparable.

The the real confusion now becomes safety - while the Honda City offers 6 airbags including side and curtains, the Creta only offers 2.

Are the City's side and curtain airbags woth overlooking Creta's extra features?
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 05:44   #904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post

Are the City's side and curtain airbags woth overlooking Creta's extra features?
Unfortunately, an automobile purchase is never as simple as a features comparison on paper.

I suggest you to do 2 things :

1. Take a really long test drive in both the cars. Drive them back to back, take a ride at the back seat, feel the ambience and just have an idea how the cars feel to be in. I haven't yet seen the new city, but the new creta interiors felt a lot less premium than even the seltos. I guess hard plastics that were everywhere made an impression. The space was also not that impressive, but i can give that a benefit of doubt since I own some of the most spacious cars in their respective segments.

2. Read through some threads in Team-BHP regarding some reliability issues of modern Hyundais, ranging from minor paint chipping to crucial brake failures. I don't think Hyundais are as reliable as hondas today.

No offense to owners, all my observations are personal experiences or from the experiences of owners.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 08:00   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually had my mind set on the City but after drawing out a table between City ZX CVT and Creta SX IVT, features like pano sunroof, superior ICE, auto hold, air purifier, drive mode, ambient lighting, rear sunshade, rear washer, folding seats, puddle lamps and rear disc brakes seem totally worth the Rs. 50,000 extra for Creta.

Without reiterating the form factor, GC and driveability which have been discussed earlier, Honda gets leather upholstery, lane watch camera, all 4 one touch windows and a digital tachometer which are nice to have features but not essentials in my opinion.

IMHO most of the additional features you’ve mentioned on the Creta fall in the “non-essential” list for me. Being a sedan, the City doesn’t need rear wash/wipe, so isn’t relevant. Rear disc brakes are better in theory, but there are many cars that achieve better braking with a disc/drum setup.

Honda offers two features that I consider important, namely one touch operation of all four power windows and factory fitted leather seats. One really doesn’t know the utility of the former until one experiences it on a daily basis, and for the latter it is the peace of mind of a factory fit.

The air bags are the critical difference, and they alone should make the decision for you, however the fact that you get them at a lower price is the icing on the cake.

P.S. All of the above assumes that you are indifferent to the body type.
VeluM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 08:42   #906
BHPian

Quote:

To add to your confusions the Seltos HTX IVT retails at a similar price point to city and offers the above features over the City ZX: -

• High Line TPMS
  • Rear Sunshades
  • Air purifier
  • 10.25 inch HD touchscreen
  • Sound mood and ambient lighting
  • Rear Disc Brakes

Last edited by sv97 : 25th July 2020 at 08:49.
sv97 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 11:17   #907
BHPian

Note from Support: Post fixed. There are multiple typos & grammatical errors in your posts. Please run a spell-check before posting.

Guys I have never been more confused. My budget is close to 15 lacs. Please help me out with some pointers.

1. Honda City V CVT on road price14.1 lacs.
A) Safety features, vehicle stability assist and connected tech.
B) Size of the vehicle is fairly good but somehow the interiors and CVT let me down. There was a rubber band effect that we talk about. The touch screen was quite basic.

It fits my budget but doesn't enthuse me as the shut-sound of doors and colour choices don't excite me.

2. Hyundai Verna 1.0 Turbo DCT at 15.5 lacs.
A) Love the interiors, ventilated seats, features.
B) Not clear how it drives though.
C) Back seat space is less.

Need some inputs as to how it drives if it is exciting enough to discard the Honda and go for it.

3. KIA Seltos IVT at 16.1 lacs.
A) Ground clearance and air prifier.
B) Misses out on safety features compared to other two.
C) Kia service and parts availability. Long term ownership issues.

Guys, I am thoroughly confused. My second car was the Honda City 1st gen. Loved it so I am partial to Hondas, though haven't owned any since then. I need good power and torque, and an automatic plus the economic environment doesn't allow for more than 16 lacs OTR.
City helps me save the money but I've owned a 3-Series before this and CVT is a let down. Have seen numerous shoot outs of City vs Verna but can't make up my mind.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2020 at 20:44. Reason: Post fixed - spacing & format fixed. See note.
arihant jain is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th July 2020, 11:48   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
1. Take a really long test drive in both the cars.
2. Read through some threads in Team-BHP regarding some reliability issues of modern Hyundais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
IMHO most of the additional features you’ve mentioned on the Creta fall in the “non-essential” list for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
To add to your confusions the Seltos HTX IVT retails at a similar price point to city and offers the above features over the
Thanks for all these important inputs!

I think I'll go take a detailed long look at the Creta (and maybe Seltos too) as well try to get another longer TD of the City. Rs.15-20 Lakh is a lot of money and this is my first fully involved car purchase so a bit nervous about making a FOMO decision

Contradicting what I said earlier (about essentials) and taking the liberty to summarise the feature differences, City ZC CVT vs Creta SX IVT seems like:

Honda City [safety, reliability, core features] vs Hyundai Creta [Useful high-end bling features]
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:02   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are ignoring the main criteria here - CVT vs IVT. If you are a manual gear person then the IVT will add convenience, however, if you are used to driving an automatic vehicle, the IVT will become a pain to drive since you will still have to change gears yourself.

Take proper test drives of both cars to understand what you really want as more than individual features, driving convenience tops the list.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:14   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
You are ignoring the main criteria here - CVT vs IVT. If you are a manual gear person then the IVT will add convenience, however, if you are used to driving an automatic vehicle, the IVT will become a pain to drive since you will still have to change gears yourself.

Cheers
I think you are confusing IVT with IMT(available on the Venue), it is the IMT which has a manual gear lever, IVT is almost identical to CVT.

Last edited by tanmoy87 : 25th July 2020 at 13:22.
tanmoy87 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:43   #911
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
You are ignoring the main criteria here - CVT vs IVT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmoy87 View Post
IVT is almost identical to CVT.
IVT is CVT.

Hyundai-Kia just calls it Intelligent Variable Transmission as opposed to the generic Continous variable transmission used by Honda.

To add to the confusion - performance is identical too. The 1.5 IVT in Seltos delivers 0-100 performance of 12.06 seconds as against 12.05 on the Honda City (Both ACI figures).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th July 2020 at 13:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 14:05   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmoy87 View Post
IVT is almost identical to CVT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IVT is CVT.
Thanks for the clarification tanmoy and Crazy Driver

After using a Civic for 10 years, I would definitely pick a vehicle with higher ground clearance than a sedan, even over the City.

The driving and cornering pleasure will be better in a sedan, but the peace of mind over speed breakers and on our “perfect” roads more than makes up for this in my opinion.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 14:53   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IVT is CVT.

Hyundai-Kia just calls it Intelligent Variable Transmission as opposed to the generic Continous variable transmission used by Honda.
I was under the impression that Hyundai's IVT is Infinitely Variable Transmission which is slightly different from CVT.
Quote:
Some CVTs can also function as an infinitely variable transmission (IVT) which offer an infinite range of low gears (e.g. moving a vehicle forward at an infinitely slow speed). Some IVTs prevent prevent back-driving (where the output shaft can freely rotate, like an automotive transmission in neutral) due to providing a high back-driving torque. Other IVT, such as ratcheting types, allow the output shaft to freely rotate. The types of CVTs which are able to function as IVTs include epicyclic, friction-disk and ratcheting CVTs.
Source- Wikipedia
Thanks for clarifying that Hyundai's IVT is just a marketing term
tanmoy87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 19:01   #914
BHPian

Thanks to all your comments, better sense prevailed and there's no way picking Creta SX IVT with 2 airbags (crucial curtain airbags missing in a car prone to roll over) made sense. Considering I'll drive in Indian cities where the odd signal jumping speedster is but too common, side and curtain airbags could mean the difference between life and death.

Test drove the City once again today at Ring Road Honda, Janpath who seem to be the only dealership offering test drives in Delhi.

I can say for sure that the acceleration of the Honda City's naturally aspirated petrol engine mated to a CVT is far more responsive than Hyundai's 1.2 l turbo petrol mated to a DCT.

For reference I drove around a hired Venue DCT yesterday and there was always a second delay between depressing the accelerator and the car moving forward.

Honda City was so responsive that never once did I actually use the paddle shifters. The ride quality and cornering on Central Delhi's many roundabouts was very impressive.

My only general grouse has to be the head room. I was hoping to install aftermarket seat ventilation covers, the sort you find on aliexpress, but there is no way I will be able to fit my frame in with those.
iamitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 21:50   #915
BHPian

Quote:
My only general grouse has to be the head room. I was hoping to install aftermarket seat ventilation covers, the sort you find on aliexpress, but there is no way I will be able to fit my frame in with those.
You can talk to Eminent in Rani Bagh they have a Instagram and Facebook page regarding the ventilated seats they are offering it just like an OEM fitting and the pricing is also reasonable.

They are providing a 6 months warranty along with it as well.

One more thing can you tell me how is the display quality of the touchscreen and the reverse camera display in person, many reviewers said it is not upto the mark.

Last edited by sv97 : 25th July 2020 at 22:05.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks