Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 18:08   #1006
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Thanks team-bhp for approving my membership!

This is my first post and would like to mention that I got my 5th gen City V variant 2 days ago.

It cost me 13.89 lacs on road including rsa, extended warranty and dealer side insurance.

Coming from a diesel Punto...here are my first impressions:

Oodles of cabin space and the colour of the interiors provides an airy feeling

Good suspension within the city. Need to test it on highways after the run-in period.

After 150kms drive today (in and around Bangalore), not even once did my car scrape the speedbreakers.

Super comfortable seats and steering is light(coming from Punto again )

Gearbox is slick

I was worried that I might miss the torque but it turned out the experience with this engine in terms of pulling the vehicle from stand still is same as my Punto.

A head Turner on the road

Nvh could have been better as I was expecting a silent cabin assuming petrol would be less noisy.

When on idle there is minor jolt every now and then as if engine is pulsating.

Some of the plastic bits especially the lower part of the dashboard could have been better.
Rear view camera clarity is not on par with the others.

Clutch throw is longer like the Punto and absence of a dead pedal makes it worse. If you are resting your left foot on the clutch pedal gently then your feet would be on a weird angle that it would start getting uncomfortable.

The basic kit for 8k consists of 2 pillows, 3D mats, key chain, hammer & seat belt cutter, 1 microfiber cloth

NOTE FROM TEAM-BHP SUPPORT: Your post contains several formatting errors. We request you to go through the Announcements and study the posting-etiquette section for guidelines on drafting, formatting and posting on the forum. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20200822_114334.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th August 2020 at 00:44.
Thmh is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 18:58   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Lovely. Does Honda offer 16" rims as accessories? Did you upgrade your tyres to wider ones?
Old 23rd August 2020, 23:52   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Lovely. Does Honda offer 16" rims as accessories? Did you upgrade your tyres to wider ones?
I didn't check about the alloys upgrade but did think about going for 195 tyres. The stock is 185 section.

On the day of the delivery I thought I will just keep everything stock the first year. There is noise creeping into the cabin and it could be because of the tyre or the lack of cladding inside the wheel well.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th August 2020 at 00:44. Reason: spacing
Old 24th August 2020, 02:31   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmh View Post
Clutch throw is longer like the Punto and absence of a dead pedal makes it worse. If you are resting your left foot on the clutch pedal gently then your feet would be on a weird angle that it would start getting uncomfortable.
Really? The City doesn't have a dead pedal? At this price point, Honda should've given it. Yes, you won't like the soft suspension or the light steering of the City once you take it out on a highway drive, coming from a Punto. Apologies for writing a post that doesn't add much value to the forum, but this was bound to happen with how Fiat treated our market. We enthusiasts just don't have good driver's cars that don't burn big holes in our pockets.

Last edited by itsashishsharma : 24th August 2020 at 02:32.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 13:05   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't check about the alloys upgrade but did think about going for 195 tyres. The stock is 185 section.

On the day of the delivery I thought I will just keep everything stock the first year. There is noise creeping into the cabin and it could be because of the tyre or the lack of cladding inside the wheel well.
The car could really use nice 17 inches, would really change the stance of it, but ride might get effected, change to 195/65 Primacy and it would really enhance the posture and ride of the vehicle.

Looks like a hell of a car for the price paid. Congratulations!
autohead115 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 14:09   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
The car could really use nice 17 inches, would really change the stance of it, but ride might get effected, change to 195/65 Primacy and it would really enhance the posture and ride of the vehicle.

Looks like a hell of a car for the price paid. Congratulations!
Thank you
Yes, considering that upgrade and I have this option noted down. Thanks for suggesting autohead115.
Old 25th August 2020, 09:12   #1012
Team-BHP Support

Comparison of the diesels, courtesy ACI -

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot-20200825-9.10.49-am.png

Source -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 11:36   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
Won't it be too much of a deviation (more than 12%) from the standard size and risk warranty of vehicle?
Old 29th August 2020, 06:34   #1014
BHPian

I was a little surprised going through this ZigWheels article comparing the Hyundai Verna Turbo Petrol DCT and Honda City Petrol CVT on performance and fuel efficiency. Prior to reading it, I had a view that the Verna's Turbo Petrol and DCT combination would have a much better performance than the City's 1.5 NA CVT combination. Moreover, the Honda City's fuel efficiency figures within the city seem pretty high at 16.28. I doubt if anyone would be able to achieve it in real life conditions!

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200829061523211_com.til.zigwheels.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200829061534076_com.til.zigwheels.jpg

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/news/honda-city-cvt-vs-hyundai-verna-turbopetrol-dct-performance-and-fuel-efficiency-compared/39578/
Aditya Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 07:42   #1015
Senior - BHPian

In the Honda City CVT , You can register 16 kmpl with light loads in free flow traffic in the Econ mode . But my experience is that if you drive like this for around 30-40 km, the average does eventually to about 14 or so. In my opinion it is all contextual.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 07:45   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Comparison of the diesels, courtesy ACI -
This video says that Verna handles better than the city. What's your view on that?

Last edited by manson : 10th September 2020 at 15:50. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 29th August 2020, 08:07   #1017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
This video says that Verna handles better than the city. What's your view on that?
Won’t be surprised. Hyundai’s suspensions have improved by leaps and bounds, while the City continues to be as bouncy and unsorted as ever. City’s rear suspension is its Achilles heel. GTO noted that the new Creta’s ride quality and high speed behaviour are much better than the new City’s. It should be the same with the Verna as well.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 17:06   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming from a diesel Punto...here are my first impressions:
Congratulations and Wish You many Miles full of Smiles with the New Ride!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Won’t be surprised.
Post 2017, Verna is based on the K2 Platform (Elantra Platform) which underpins the Seltos and Creta as well. So the earlier boat ride story went away with the 2017 release of the Verna.

Platform apart, Honda has always provided skinny tires for the City. The Verna comes with 195 section tires on all variants except the base variant while the City comes with the 185 section tires. So that could be another aspect.

Also, the increased length of the 5th Gen City could be another factor that might have added to this.
vsrivatsa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 20:46   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Post 2017, Verna is based on the K2 Platform (Elantra Platform) which underpins the Seltos and Creta as well. So the earlier boat ride story went away with the 2017 release of the Verna.
Second that. I test drove the Verna in 2018 as a potential replacement for my Rapid and it thoroughly impressed with its ride. I would say that the 2017 Verna which we have now is a completely different car compared to the earlier fluidic Verna. However, when you compare it to a Rapid or a Vento, the steering is still very light and a bit lifeless at low speeds. But my main grouse with the Verna is the space, and when you add the low seating position, it surely feels a bit cramped. Else, the Diesel engine and its gearbox in manual and AT form are slick.

Last edited by manson : 10th September 2020 at 15:54. Reason: Trimmed quote.
motorworks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 17:37   #1020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's a thought is echoed in some of the other reviews as well. Times have truly changed.

Hyundai has been working on the ride and handling balance over the years - and the changes are especially noticeable in the recent generations. Here's a new video from Evo India on this -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th August 2020 at 17:38.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed