Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 23:40   #1906
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Hi all,
Today was my first scheduled service for my Honda City and the SA denied to do the hardwiring of my dashcam, He also said not to get it done at FNG as it will void the warranty of the vehicle.

Any owners that can confirm this? Or is it just Honda that denies any accessories to be fitted into the fuse box?
I got a dashcam hardwired at the dealership on the day of delivery, earlier this month. Accessories guy confirmed that warranty won't be void for doing so.

For reference, this was at Brigade Honda in Bangalore.
Old 1st December 2021, 11:22   #1907
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a question from Petrol MT owners. Does the 6 gear in the 5th gen really help? I recently went on a highway trip and the in the 6th gear the car does 100kmph at around 2300-2400 RPM and 120kmph at almost 3000RPM! Is this expected? or is something wrong with my car?
I see 1L turbo petrol engines from VW Group doing 100kmph at 1900 rpm. I am a novice when it comes to engines, any inputs on this would be really helpful.

Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 13:15   #1908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
.....Adequate ground clearance – have taken the car on uneven roads/speed breakers (city + highway) with 4 adults, a kid and full boot – the car did not bottom out once. Honda has worked on the suspension and it shows. A Mahabaleshwar trip is planned end of November, so I would know more......
So, we drove to Mahabaleshwar last weekend. 4 adults, a kid and a full boot (and more so while returning with all the shopping bags).

1. I was pleasantly surprised the way the car handled over broken roads, speed bumps and undulations. The car NEVER bottomed out. Even the front hang didn't scrap anywhere. I am now assured of it's ground clearance and can confidently say that anyone worried about this aspect should put their fears to rest.
2.Extensively used the lane watch camera because of it's wide angle and it came very handy.
3. ICE sound output is not so great with the radio. With Bluetooth connectivity and/or Android Auto, the output is much better. I am thinking of upgrading the speakers and getting the dampening done too. I am just a bit skeptical of opening the door frames and putting them back with the same factory fit. Talked with a few folks and they said it should be fine since it is just plug and play.
4. Overall FE - 14.5kmpl - decent for highway + ghat + weekend traffic + slow speeds in Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani + car load.
5. My wife and daughter who are sensitive to motion sickness didn't feel any bounce on rear seats at highway speeds and were okay. Spacious and comfortable rear seats. Thumbs up from the rear seat passengers.
6. Engine is audible when you rev hard.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 1st December 2021 at 13:18. Reason: Additional comments
sam264_2000 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 15:20   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Hi All,

I have a question from Petrol MT owners. Does the 6 gear in the 5th gen really help? I recently went on a highway trip and the in the 6th gear the car does 100kmph at around 2300-2400 RPM and 120kmph at almost 3000RPM! Is this expected? or is something wrong with my car?
I see 1L turbo petrol engines from VW Group doing 100kmph at 1900 rpm. I am a novice when it comes to engines, any inputs on this would be really helpful.

Thanks
I think the 100 at 1900 rpm is for 1.5 tsi and not 1.0 tsi. Also for reference a low weight Maruti 1.2 swift/baleno/dzire does 120 at approx 3100 rpm; so all looks fine to me for the numbers you shared.
Old 1st December 2021, 15:21   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Once the turbo kicks in at around 1800 rpm, there is a sudden surge in power and hence the 1 L Turbo engine produces more power around 2000-2100 rpm when compared to 1.5 NA engine at the same RPM.

The NA engines have a more linear power delivery and if you compare the power output below the Turbo kick in threshold, the 1.5 produces much more power than the 1 L turbo and hence is more drivable in city driving conditions whereas the 1 L turbo engines are more fuel efficient on highway runs.
AutoConsultant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 06:53   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Hi all,
Today was my first scheduled service for my Honda City and the SA denied to do the hardwiring of my dashcam, He also said not to get it done at FNG as it will void the warranty of the vehicle.

For context I use a 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S dashcam which is connected to the 12v socket. I wanted it to be hardwired so I could use it's parking surveillance mode whenever I park my car.

Any owners that can confirm this? Or is it just Honda that denies any accessories to be fitted into the fuse box?
Where did you get this Dashcam from, don’t see it available online.
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:04   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkunal.shah View Post
Where did you get this Dashcam from, don’t see it available online.
Amazon India Link - Here you go
mAndArk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:35   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks
I believe 6th gear ratio could have been better. My car reaches 100 kmph at 2500 RPM and 120 kmph at 3000 RPM. Whereas automatic Honda City reaches 100 kmph at 1800-1900 RPM. Coupled with poor sound insulation, a lot of noise is present in the cabin at highway speeds. Otherwise car is stable at those speeds.
One advantage of this gearing is that you can pickup the speed from 50 kmph in 6th gear without downshifting. In the narrow roads of my locality, sometimes I have taken 90 degee turns below 20 kmph in 4th gear thinking it to be 2nd. Only after completing the turn when I try to accelerate quickly and cannot, I get to know that I was in 4th.
However I would liked lower RPM at highway speeds.
Learner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:07   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
I believe 6th gear ratio could have been better. My car reaches 100 kmph at 2500 RPM and 120 kmph at 3000 RPM. Whereas automatic Honda City reaches 100 kmph at 1800-1900 RPM.
I think that is because the automatic version is a 7-speed CVT, whereas the manual is 6-speed. Hence the lower RPM for the same speed.
nTorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 19:25   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
Opening the light enclosure is a little tricky( this is similar to boot lights). There is a clip like plastic that protrudes outwards which needs to be pressed hard and opened outside.
I rushed and managed to break one clip. Fixed it using feviqwik at two edges. Rear looks pretty nice with the addition of number plate LED lights.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-1638452561918.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd December 2021 at 19:31.
Latheesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 19:53   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I rushed and managed to break one clip. Fixed it using feviqwik at two edges. Rear looks pretty nice with the addition of number plate LED lights.
Does look awesome, indeed. I think I will take it to the service center to get it changed. Did you also change the boot lamp?
Old 2nd December 2021, 20:39   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Did you also change the boot lamp?
No, I did not.
Low beam in City (V and VX) is inadequate especially during the night when it is raining. Does LED solve this issue? I am bit hesitant
Old 2nd December 2021, 20:42   #1918
BHPian

Hi to all, I had exchanged my Duster for the City ZX Diesel in Jan. I was in the same oscillation as many here whether to get the Creta/Seltos or swap to a sedan. My main criteria was be it any car, it had to be a diesel as the usage is high, I needed a lot of boot space as the kids were in boarding school, needs to accommodate all the luggage.

Thanks to BS6 the options for below 20L were a hand few. Was really set on getting a Creta E variant and modifying it to my taste, I was lucky to get a TD of the EX variant on a highway stretch for about 30 kms, which made me opt out of the Creta immediately, that's when I realised why I selected the Duster 5 years ago over the 1st gen Creta, the Duster's carpet ride and handling is way superior to the Creta, the biggest plus on the Creta is its engine, super silent and brisk acceleration, the biggest let down is the steering vagueness and roll. Driving the Creta inside cities were so nice and I was really impressed with my in-city TD's, but on the highway it's no match to the Duster.

Now why the City, it ain't all that superior on the highway either, there's no beating the Vento/Rapid there, just the petrol options kept turning me away. The only other option left was the Verna, after sitting in the City every other car seemed uncomfortable or crammed, my wife wasn't convinced at all. She was ok with Vento though, if I didn't mind spending for fuel. After long debates, my kids did not want another Vento in the family, the car previous to the Duster was a 1.6TDI Vento, so basically it was like sitting in the same car, my son loved the Seltos and my daughter loved the City's back seat or she was like I'm fine with the Duster too, why do you have to change it, wife was totally against looking at the TATA Harrier(my budget didn't let me think of it either), she didn't even want a TD, we don't need a mammoth was her only response. So it was to have a nice car at the same time keep the running costs low.

The problem came when I was not able to find a City diesel TD car, I live in Guntur AP, enquired in Vijayawada, Chennai, Madurai, not one had them, they all showed me cars parked in their yards and the Guntur dealer was kind to offer the TD within the stock yard, it was a tough decision there on. I was offered Petrol manual and the CVT, of both the CVT was just excellent to drive and the manual was just too noisy and jerky when revved hard, the CVT did struggle when you floor the pedal, I understood it was better when driven progressively.

Now my decision was based only through reviews of various auto-bloggers or vloggers, there were a couple of reviews which compared both in gear accelerations and the noise level of all the 3 options of the City (manual, CVT, Diesel), which helped me decide that the Diesel would not let me down much. Did lot of cost work outs between the Manual petrol and diesel, both were similarly matched for my kind of usage, 20K kms per year on average, both the diesel and petrol manual were similar, but if I drive the petrol with a hard foot it will really hurt my pocket, the CVT was way off charts on my costing sheet almost 25% more costly to run, even if it had the best resale value, I don't think anyone would want a 1L+ km run CVT after 5 years.

Done and dusted, I got a fair price for my 1L+ km Duster and a nice discount on a 2020 Diesel with the Silver color on top of my priorities( had to jump off the white color band wagon of the last 5 cars), it felt like a good bargain and all fell in place, I took delivery on Jan 18th, the day after Pongal/Sankranti. In 11 months its clocked 21K kms, lack of public transport during the lockdowns, hence a little excess usage.

The car is under powered of the start, but the braking efficiency and in gear acceleration help keep up the average speed. Mileage has been consistent at around 18 kmpl, the worst being 16.5 kmpl(400 kms of excessive gear shifts and high speeds, just on an instance though) and best being 19.6kmpl (when I had to drive with AC turned off for around 500kms). Thanks to 120 kmph buzzer, I find myself hovering around 118 kmph most of the time, it reminds me I'm not going to gain anything going a few minutes earlier to my destination.

The drawbacks so far, noise from wheel arches are so bad, I have done the under-car treatment with a heavier coat (not 3M, the ones used on boats in Tuticorin), just a bit of difference. I had my car damped almost 24 sheets of damping all over doors, boot, floor, wheel arches (roof is pending though), with the floors getting 3mm sheets and the doors getting 2mm sheets. You can feel the weight added and the sound isolation is a tad better, but still you have noise creeping in from the wheel arches, seriously how much do they save by that plastic bit, I don't understand.

Overall, I wouldn't say its the best upgrade from my previous car, but each one had its own pros and cons, from Vento to Duster to City, of the 3 I would pick the Vento anyday. It was a compromise and had to keep the family happy too. This seemed like the best fit. No complaints till date, except for the dents on the body, they just seem to appear without my knowledge, the car sheet metal is just flimsy and color adds to showcasing the dents and scratches.

Sorry for this long boring post, wanted to share my views as not many diesel car reviews are shared of the 5th Gen.

Cheers

MOD NOTE : thru = through.

Request you to not use any form of short forms / abbreviations please. Thanks for support and understanding.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd December 2021 at 21:10. Reason: Mod note attached.
kanna.sridharan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 20:49   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
No, I did not.
Low beam in City (V and VX) is inadequate especially during the night when it is raining. Does LED solve this issue? I am bit hesitant
It doesn’t really solve (at least not with the 25W OSRAM that I’ve used for the low beam) the night + rain situation. White light as you would know is generally bad in rain and fog. So, I’ve settled for an intermediate solution. I have only changed the low beam to LED and have let the high beam and fog lamps to be halogen. In situations where the white light causes visibility problems, I use the halogens on the high beam and fog lamps. Not the best solution, but it is something.

If one does not mind the odd looking combination of white DRL and yellow halogens, there is probably no need to change. The above combination bothered me a lot, and I felt the need to change.
nTorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:57   #1920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanna.sridharan View Post
Hi to all, I had exchanged my Duster for the City ZX Diesel in Jan.
Very rare to come across City diesel owners. I have always been curious to know how it feels to drive the new City in diesel, as I have never driven one.

Two things that turned me away from choosing the diesel engine in the City (purely based on what I've seen on reviews):

1. The noisy engine (The petrol one itself gets noisy above 3k RPM, so I assume the diesel variant would definitely be very noisy, considering Honda's poor attempt at insulation)

2. The engine specs (I could be completely wrong about this one, but 100 hp and 200nm of torque seemed a little less for a diesel engine)

What are your thoughts about the above points?

Also, your signature shows a list of audio mods! Are they all on the City?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks