Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2021, 18:01   #1981
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Giving the car some tender love and care today will share a pic of the happy katana once its been pampered
As promised, ready to resume daily driver duties after a nice foam wash, the ceramic coat is holding up nicely after a year gone by

Its just so damm sharp and beautifull have to always look at it twice
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-ef220a05d8a549b0a3f281da24dfdc1c.jpeg  

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 04:26   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout View Post
Has anyone tried out these GFX mats?
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08P5CG5MJ/...5ZNMP3M9H43F1X
I have these, got them for my Verna. They have a snug fit and look good as well. I have previously used 3D Kagu mats and these are a very good alternative for less than half the price.
yogiii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:29   #1983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout View Post
Has anyone tried out these GFX mats?
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08P5CG5MJ/...5ZNMP3M9H43F1X
Carhatke has the same mat for 3K and it is much cheaper than amazon. I remember reading a bhpian buying the same mat from this site.

Edit: I think it is bhpian @yogiii. He already replied to you in the previous post.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:56   #1984
BHPian

The one thing that troubles me the most is the dashboard reflection on the windshield on a bright sunny day. If any member has any suggestion to reduce the same, please share.

Another thing that I have noticed is that in last two weeks or so, the wind noise has increased by quite a margin. I have driven my car for 38800 km approx and I know that it is not a quiet car. Still it feels like the windows are not fully closed. Any pointers regarding that?
Learner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 19:00   #1985
BHPian

Guys, I test drove the ZX CVT yesterday since my 2006 ZX Vtec is quite overdue for replacement. While there were the traditional Honda strengths that came through immediately, there are a few major areas that have me hesitating to consider this vehicle. I just wanted to know if existing owners have any inputs or suggestions about this?

1. One of the things that came through was the noise of the engine - especially when revved or accelerating hard! I was quite taken aback. Even my 15 year old ZX is not this noisy! What was also a little concerning - and the test vehicle had over 7000km on the odo, was the amount of outside or road noise filtering into the cabin. The first impression I had was that the NVH was really not great at all. The only doubt I had was if this was due to the stock tyres or the usual light metal build and sub par insulation?

2. The infotainment looked and felt horribly dated. I also felt it was angled at an odd inclination. It may have been the brightness level (I didn't check) but in the late afternoon sunlight, that screen was barely legible and the screen colours/info looked faded.. it was a really sore letdown. However what I wanted to know was if it was possible to have this replaced with any of the branded options from Sony etc. For a car that costs 17L OTR mumbai, wireless carplay was a miss. I hate the thought of fiddly wires sticking out of the dash again.

3. Related to point 2 was the quality of the sound output! The speakers I knew were not branded but they were a big letdown in terms of sound quality. Tweeters or not, this unit was just not enjoyable. This however can be addressed with an easy upgrade of speakers for sure.

4. Lastly the quality of those camera's were just not great. Lanewatch is useful, but the image quality at one point reminded me of old generation CCTV cameras

Other than that, I quite liked the suspension setup (for the city parts), the rather reduced effects of this CVT unit compared to earlier experiences and of course the otherwise pleasant cabin. My family definitely liked it, however I had some really mixed reactions to this sedan.

The connected tech otherwise was ok - it wasn't a priority for me.

At 17lakhs on road mumbai, I'm really struggling to understand if I should make peace with the above?

The other option I have on my list is the Taigun 1.5 GT Plus. Not a direct comparison, but also serves my needs overall (except possibly for a roomy cabin)

Last edited by Vandit : 23rd December 2021 at 19:01.
Vandit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 19:38   #1986
BHPian

1 - Yes the Engine is noisy and road noise filter in to the cabin, especially if the roads are not paved well and car is in excess of 50kmph. Playing some music helps to negate this a bit.

2 & 4 - Increase the brightness to near maximum and increase the contrast as well. It will look better than the factory settings. Infotainment fonts are crisp, but not too vivid, and I find it serve the purpose. Lane watch camera quality is pathetic and can't depend on it in low light situations.

3 - Check the sound settings in infotainment. The equalizer and each speaker outputs can be controlled there. Most likely someone messed up those settings in the test drive vehicle. I find the sound quality to be acceptable.

What I found is at 17L OTR there aren't much options if you are looking for space, automatic and the safety or features offered by City ZX.
sreerknair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:00   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
As promised, ready to resume daily driver duties after a nice foam wash, the ceramic coat is holding up nicely after a year gone by

Its just so damm sharp and beautifull have to always look at it twice
Wow! what a difference tyres can make. Which ones have you installed? Are they wider than stock?
Old 23rd December 2021, 21:39   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Wow! what a difference tyres can make. Which ones have you installed? Are they wider than stock?
I have installed Michelin Primacy 205/55/16 on stock alloys. The stock tyre is 185 width so yes these are bigger then stock tyre's however the car looks absolutely proportional with these tyres. The stock bridgestones make the car look under tyred, plus the handling on these michelins is amazing, like a hot knife through butter My daily drive is around 120 kms and i love this car the most
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 22:45   #1989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Guys, I test drove the ZX CVT yesterday since my 2006 ZX Vtec is quite overdue for replacement. While there were the traditional Honda strengths that came through immediately, there are a few major areas that have me hesitating to consider this vehicle. I just wanted to know if existing owners have any inputs or suggestions about this?

1. One of the things that came through was the noise of the engine - especially when revved or accelerating hard! I was quite taken aback.

3. Related to point 2 was the quality of the sound output! The speakers I knew were not branded but they were a big letdown in terms of sound quality. Tweeters or not, this unit was just not enjoyable. This however can be addressed with an easy upgrade of speakers for sure.

4. Lastly the quality of those camera's were just not great. Lanewatch is useful, but the image quality at one point reminded me of old generation CCTV cameras
1. I find NVH level acceptable below 100km/h. In fact up to 60, car is absolutely silent and we don't even realize that engine is running in Delhi traffic.
If you floor the accelerator then there will be engine noise but there is no real benefit to flooring the pedal as car won't accelerate that quick! Pretty soon you will learn the acceleration behaviour of the car and so you won't make the engine scream without need.

3. Sound sound is also pretty good. Music output is musical and can enjoy the music which is what matters.
Can anyone point out if it is possible to manage files and playlists (create, delete and edit) on USB port of infotainment ayatem?

4. Lane watch camera output is pathetic under dark conditions and anyway I mostly use side view mirror due to force of habit.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 23rd December 2021 at 22:48.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 00:22   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
1 -

What I found is at 17L OTR there aren't much options if you are looking for space, automatic and the safety or features offered by City ZX.
Absolutely bang on sir amongst the competitors in the segment namely the verna and the ciaz as on date a true blood enthusiast will opt for the city after driving all 3 without a doubt. The zx cvt city outclasses them all in my opinion.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:18   #1991

Quote:
Update on the issue of brake squeak and humming sound @80kmph- After spending 2 weeks at the service centre the good folks at Courtesy honda diagnosed the problem to front right wheel bearing and hub, replaced the bearing as well as the bearing assembly front rhs under warranty, and i am happy to say that the sound has absolutely vanished, also no more squeeky squeeks from the brakes, total pin drop silence in the car. Giving the car some tender love and care today will share a pic of the happy katana once its been pampered
Is that a CVT that you own ? And when you say break squeaks is it only during “stop n go” or it squeaked everytime you applied brakes?
I have heard on this group from other members as well about the initial brake squeaking noise for cvt and even my SA suggested its pretty normal in CVTs (Honda) but its not there everytime, only when you halt the vehicle and try to keep it stationary with the help of brakes.
Old 24th December 2021, 12:08   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
You have listed all the drawbacks of City, sir. Apart from these, there are no other "bad things" left.

If the engine has not reached the optimum temperature, the noise is a bit more. Once the engine is sufficiently hot, absolutely no engine noise at idling. Under hard acceleration, the engine sort of "roars". I quite like that sound though. What is not good is the tire noise. It is not excessive, but certainly more than what it should be. Otherwise, the cabin insulation is excellent. You do not hear any outside noise coming in. It's just increases the perception of tire noise though.

ICE screen is also not something to brag about. For me, it looks well fitted and suits the overall interior looks. But that's just it. It is neither as crisp and smooth as, for example, in Verna, annd there are not much features as well. Just standard settings, only 3 default colour choices. Not a bother for me though, most of the use os for navigation only, and for that it is good.

Lane watch camera (my car variant does not have it, but I had experienced it during the test drives), is same as the rear camera in quality - pathetic. Not suitable for a car of this stature for sure. Day time I have no issues, but in low light conditions, it is all grainy.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 12:59   #1993
BHPian

With respect to the cameras qualities, this is what happens when the features of higher segment vehicles trickle down to the lower segment ones, just to attract more customers. There will be cost cutting for sure and these features would be just about usable. I rather not have the lanewatch feature at all than have something that's half baked. The lanewatch and the backup camera quality on the Civic and the CR-V is superior. Not asking for a 1080p camera feed but, Honda should do definitely better than this. The lanewatch has also found it's way in to the new BR-V recently launched in Indonesia and it's quality must be something similar. Sub-par.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 13:46   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhvikas101 View Post
Is that a CVT that you own ? And when you say break squeaks is it only during “stop n go” or it squeaked everytime you applied brakes?
I have heard on this group from other members as well about the initial brake squeaking noise for cvt and even my SA suggested its pretty normal in CVTs (Honda) but its not there everytime, only when you halt the vehicle and try to keep it stationary with the help of brakes.
Yes i own the CVT Zx, The issue before service was slight squeak from the brakes on applying initially and also while releasing the brake from stand still in D mode,Plus the humming sound post 80 Kmph

Now there is absolutely no noise after i got the car back from them. Will surely update if it re occurs, i hope it doesn't ever
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 15:42   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
My daily drive is around 120 kms and i love this car the most
Your Honda City with upgraded tyres looks really good.

Since you mentioned your daily commute of 120 KMs with Petrol CVT, i'm curious to know the Mileage Figures for the same ?!
It seems more of a highway run.

Most Viewed