Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:06   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Also as I read on the internet, it is not a good practice to put car in P at traffic lights. In case car is rear ended it can damage the gearbox of the car. Please correct me if I am wrong.
As far as I know, this is true. One should put it in neutral, engage the electronic brake. It should only be put in park after these. As you pointed out the pressure is otherwise on the parking pin (@GTO too has commented on this few months ago) & in case of a rear ending the transmission damage will occur.
When I once drive my boss's 520d, he instructed me so.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:33   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Also as I read on the internet, it is not a good practice to put car in P at traffic lights. In case car is rear ended it can damage the gearbox of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
As far as I know, this is true. One should put it in neutral, engage the electronic brake.
Let’s keep life simple and practical forget about the parking pin or getting rear ended. The whole idea of not keeping the vehicle in D (for signals etc) is to not put pressure on drive components, that’s it. Putting it in N is simply what we would do in a manual transmission vehicle (if you don’t want to keep the clutch depressed) so continue to do that in an automatic vehicle as well for long stops.

The auto unlocking of all doors in P is a very good and convenient feature when we want to exit the vehicle, use it for that and forget about wanting to disable it. Use P and N as the situation demands and that’s that friends.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 19:49   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I have installed Michelin Primacy 205/55/16 on stock alloys. The stock tyre is 185 width so yes these are bigger then stock tyre's however the car looks absolutely proportional with these tyres. The stock bridgestones make the car look under tyred, plus the handling on these michelins is amazing, like a hot knife through butter My daily drive is around 120 kms and i love this car the most
Your City in red looks ravishing with those shoes

Did you get these installed at time of delivery or after accepting the delivery? Also, if it was done after the deliver then how much of an impact on FE and drive quality did you notice after this upgrade?
Old 27th January 2022, 21:15   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankdadevil View Post

Did you get these installed at time of delivery or after accepting the delivery? Also, if it was done after the deliver then how much of an impact on FE and drive quality did you notice after this upgrade?
Thanks for the kind words, I got the tyres changed after about 350 odd kms, Fe has'nt taken a hit, handling is way better then stock wheels completely love the handling on the 205 michelins, road noise is minimum and ride is perfect, i have zero complaints with this setup. Have done 36K kms they are good for about 20k more will again go for michelin primacy 4 . My fe as on date is 16 kmpl no ac

Cheers
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:42   #2045
BHPian

Hello BHP'ians.
I took a TD of 5th Gen Honda City ZX CVT y'day. The vehicle was a year old and had clocked 15k kms in the ODO.
The CVT in the city is absolutely heavenly and much much better that the CVT in MG Astor.
But I could hear quite a lot of engine boom inside the cabin though I was driving at 50-60 kmph and the vehicle was under the correct RPM for that speed (mostly in D and sometimes in S mode with manual paddles used)
I kind of felt it as a discomfort and a major deterrent in making the buying decision.
Can the 5th Gen honda city owners confirm regarding this engine boom? Is it tolerable at high speeds w/o any music playing in the background?
Venkatr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 10:12   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatr View Post
Hello BHP'ians.
I took a TD of 5th Gen Honda City ZX CVT y'day. The vehicle was a year old and had clocked 15k kms in the ODO.
The CVT in the city is absolutely heavenly and much much better that the CVT in MG Astor.
But I could hear quite a lot of engine boom inside the cabin though I was driving at 50-60 kmph and the vehicle was under the correct RPM for that speed (mostly in D and sometimes in S mode with manual paddles used)
I kind of felt it as a discomfort and a major deterrent in making the buying decision.
Can the 5th Gen honda city owners confirm regarding this engine boom? Is it tolerable at high speeds w/o any music playing in the background?
Is it tolerable?
The answer is: It depends on your mood.

I like the sound of the engine most of the times, but there have been time where I’ve wished it was more silent. This noise insulation inside the cabin of the Honda City 5th Gen is not one of its strong points, but whether or not that sound bothers you is purely subjective.

That said, it is definitely not noisy at 50-60 kmph as you’ve mentioned, and is pretty silent under 2.5k RPM. I would suggest you take another TD from a different showroom and see for yourself.
nTorq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 14:04   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHP'ians.

The car is very silent at the speed you have mentioned. You won't hear the engine noise at all inside the cabin. The RPM stays at 1.2k or so. Check if you were in sports mode when you heard the sound. Also whether you were pressing the accelerator hard or uneven. In both the case the Engine RPM raises with noticeable noise. If you had the Econ mode on in D then we may unintentionally press the accelerator hard to compensate reduced engine power.
sreerknair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 14:20   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHP'ians.
I'm not an owner of the City, but I test drove the Jazz CVT and City CVT back to back and yes, surprisingly the City felt noisier even in city speeds! Engine tone was nice though but without a doubt, for me the Jazz was super silent.
Old 30th January 2022, 15:31   #2049
BHPian

Quote:

After about 3years & 15K kms with a pre-owned 2015 Jazz VXMT I switched to a new 2021 City VMT in Dec. Having driven the City for about 800 kms, I feel that the Jazz was definitely quieter (& refined) in terms of the (in-cabin) engine sound. The City is a tad loud at high revs. However it's not bothered me too much, possibly because my drive so far has predominantly been highway cruising at sub 3000 RPM.
Old 30th January 2022, 18:04   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
At 50 - 60 kmph we do not even realize that engine is running! Except when we floor the pedal then a slight rubber band effect takes place for a couple of second and we can feel and hear the engine noise for these two seconds. For someone not accustomed to CVT this will feel noisy.
I would advice to take TD with another car.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 12:51   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHP'ians.
I took a TD of Honda City ZX CVT a couple of days back. I deliberately tried to notice any NVH issues. However, I didn't find any to complain about. The engine note gets loud in S mode with paddle shifters activated, however I didn't feel any boominess. On the contrary the engine note felt sporty. I feel yours is a case of bad vehicle for TD. The best way to rid yourself of this feeling is to book another TD with a different vehicle.

Note: The audio system was off for the major part of my TD.
sankdadevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 21:36   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibisbrew View Post
2) How is golden metallic brown faring so far ? looks just as good ? any major pain maintaining it ?
It might be just with my car but I did find the paint quality absolutely abysmal. Even normal cleaning leaves marks on the car, and has to be cleaned with running water every time. I showed it to the dealership and have even escalated the matter to Honda but it has fallen on deaf ears. They seem to think we don't know how to clean a car. I'm using all 3M material and this brown colour seems to be running off with each clean

It's quite a bad paint job. I'll post some pictures if I can find them.
pratyaksh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 23:02   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
It might be just with my car but I did find the paint quality absolutely abysmal. Even normal cleaning leaves marks on the car, and has to be cleaned with running water every time. I showed it to the dealership and have even escalated the matter to Honda but it has fallen on deaf ears. They seem to think we don't know how to clean a car. I'm using all 3M material and this brown colour seems to be running off with each clean

Since I last posted, we got the delivery of our Golden Brown Honda City (VX CVT).

While I have not spent much time with it, in the past few days, I have managed to clean the car once. I used a Jopasu duster followed by Proklear waterless wash. I did not notice anything similar to what you mention. It does seem like a one off issue. And yes, do post pictures, so forum members can understand better and perhaps help as well.

Last edited by ibisbrew : 6th February 2022 at 23:03. Reason: Typo
Old 7th February 2022, 17:10   #2054
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
It might be just with my car but I did find the paint quality absolutely abysmal.

Pratyaksh,

Being very honest to myself what you have said is definitely true to an extent.
There has been no car in my garage which had so many paint chips and scratches.

Even my 4 year old Tiago at the time of selling with around 60k kilometers had less scratches.

Yes I do agree that City being my sole car I drive to everywhere whether it is grocery shopping or weekend errands or flying on the highways.

But don't remember parking the car at unsafe place or leaving alone while outside.

This is parked inside apartment inside basement where no kids venture and also no one touches or drives the car except me.

Car has gone through two thorough waxing and polishing sessions which I do for all my vehicles.
These scratches are visible while looking up close.

First one is after the polishing session in September while the one below is in January during a Lunch Stopover.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-pxl_20210916_072630014.portrait.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20220114_094139793_ios.jpg  

src is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 19:20   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Pratyaksh,

There has been no car in my garage which had so many paint chips and scratches.

Did you say 'paint chips' on almost new Honda City or meant scratches only ?

Although, Golden Brown Shade with upgraded tyres looks gorgeous !

Most Viewed