Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:27   #2116
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
...was pleasantly surprised at the way the NA 1.5 petrol drove – did not feel a lack of grunt while overtaking, and it revs as smooth as knife through warm butter!

Also test drove the German twins (Kushaq/Taigun) for myself, and happened to accompany my sister and brother in law on their test drive of the Jeep Compass diesel. Have to say, the interiors of none of these cars impressed me the way that the City interiors did – it’s just so spacious and has a feeling of understated luxury. In terms of build quality I couldn’t notice a pronounced difference in the “thud” between the German twins and the City – except for the matter of that boot door on the City.

The touchscreen on the City is the only sore point – there’s no way to escape it. Would like to know from existing owners about how Apple Carplay does on this system? Is the low-res screen off-putting to the point that it could be a deal breaker? Really liked the car otherwise, and would like to buy a sedan against the barrage of SUV/C-SUV’s on the roads. Given the price differential with the equivalent Kushaq/Taigun variants, the City feels more of a complete car IMHO.
I agree with your observations about how the City's interior feels. The luxury is unparalleled at that price point. The "thud" of a 3-step door on a decade old Polo was definitely German compared to the Japanese "thud" the new VW/Skoda variants have. In that sense, yes the doors on both City as well as VW/Skoda cars "thud" alike now. IMHO, C-SUV's look impressive however when it comes to sheer comfort the sedan's still rule.

My only grouse with the otherwise perfect City was its ICE. However once I connected to Apple car play, all the complaints faded away! Apple car play (wired) works like a charm on the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Can we put 205/50-16 in place of the 185/55-16 as the skinny 185 tyres are just not good enough. Any rubbing issues with the 205's ?
Yes, the tyres can safely be upgraded to either 195/55/R16 or 205/50/R16. The 205/50/R16's were too expensive and in my opinion it was not cost justified and hence I went ahead with 195/55/R16.
sankdadevil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:33   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Test drove the Honda City 5th gen Petrol ZX manual variant as replacement for my 2016 Ford Ecosport TDCi. Coming from a turbo diesel, was pleasantly surprised at the way the NA 1.5 petrol drove – did not feel a lack of grunt while overtaking, and it revs as smooth as knife through warm butter!

Also test drove the German twins (Kushaq/Taigun) for myself, and happened to accompany my sister and brother in law on their test drive of the Jeep Compass diesel. Have to say, the interiors of none of these cars impressed me the way that the City interiors did – it’s just so spacious and has a feeling of understated luxury. In terms of build quality I couldn’t notice a pronounced difference in the “thud” between the German twins and the City – except for the matter of that boot door on the City.

The touchscreen on the City is the only sore point – there’s no way to escape it. Would like to know from existing owners about how Apple Carplay does on this system? Is the low-res screen off-putting to the point that it could be a deal breaker? Really liked the car otherwise, and would like to buy a sedan against the barrage of SUV/C-SUV’s on the roads. Given the price differential with the equivalent Kushaq/Taigun variants, the City feels more of a complete car IMHO.
If you are coming from a diesel, my suggestion would be to take another TD, probably with a full load, and drive it in slightly uphill conditions as well. The 1.5 NA engine of the City is fun to drive but definitely lacks the mid-range punch in comparison to a turbo-diesel. I love the City's engine 90% of the time, and I drive a manual too. My other car is a Ritz diesel, and there are times when it does things with lesser effort than the City.

Regarding the touchscreen, I don't see it as a deal-breaker. I mean, you don't really watch movies on it! You get used to it pretty soon. The camera quality is bad, but it is decent enough to serve the purpose. IMHO, it is definitely not a deal-breaker if you have liked everything else about the car.
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:37   #2118
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Query regarding seat covers on behalf of a friend who is buying a Honda City (the car has side airbags):
Since he is considering seat covers, price difference for them showroom vs outside vendors is about 50%.
Showroom sales team is giving them the pitch that their seat covers will have only one stitch at the side so that the airbag deploys correctly, whereas outside vendors seat covers will have 2 stitches, which can delay/impede the airbag deployment.

Is it wiser to completely avoid the additional seat covers and just go with what comes factory fitted on the car ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 20:42   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Showroom sales team is giving them the pitch that their seat covers will have only one stitch at the side so that the airbag deploys correctly, whereas outside vendors seat covers will have 2 stitches, which can delay/impede the airbag deployment.

Is it wiser to completely avoid the additional seat covers and just go with what comes factory fitted on the car ?
I got similar sales pitch from the accessories team which was not convincing at all and it didn't make sense to compromise on this aspect. I have decided not to fit any seat covers , mine is a VX.
indivic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 23:11   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Query regarding seat covers on behalf of a friend who is buying a Honda City (the car has side airbags):
Since he is considering seat covers, price difference for them showroom vs outside vendors is about 50%.

You can avoid the seat covers, but the V and VX variants come with fabric seats and beige fabric isn't the most soiling friendly.

The seat covers, if I remember correctly are mentioned as airbag compatible in the Honda accessories brochure. I have no reason to not believe Honda.

I would rather trust the OEM than an outside shop, in this case at least.
ibisbrew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 01:23   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibisbrew View Post
You can avoid the seat covers, but the V and VX variants come with fabric seats and beige fabric isn't the most soiling friendly.

The seat covers, if I remember correctly are mentioned as airbag compatible in the Honda accessories brochure. I have no reason to not believe Honda.

Mine is a V variant and was a nightmare in terms of keeping the beige fabric clean. Chose to go for Honda OEM seat covers due to the reason & belief cited by ibisbrew. Incidentally these Honda covers came with "Airbag" label marking on the sides.

My to-do list includes getting the door panel fabric also covered or replaced. Planning to combine it with a speaker upgrade since the panels will need to be opened up for both.
knockout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 08:11   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
seat covers will have only one stitch at the side so that the airbag deploys correctly, whereas outside vendors seat covers will have 2 stitches, which can delay/impede the airbag deployment.
I'll leave you with a video that should help:

I would only recommend the third-party covers if they're specifically marketed as airbag-friendly (without your friend having to ask them).
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 10:39   #2123
BHPian

Completed 45000 km yesterday evening that too mostly working from home.The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20220223_205000.jpg
Seems like I am addicted to driving.

There are rattling noises that come from rubber beadings and roofliner. But I love the experience when needle crosses 4000 RPM.
Learner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 11:03   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Seems like I am addicted to driving.
That is quite a lot of driving I must say. Would be great if you could share a long term report for the benefit of everyone.

Wishing you many more miles and smiles
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 12:11   #2125
BHPian

Hi, I have a problem that shows up once in a while. I have a Honda City automatic 2014 model, once in a while over the last few months when I accelerate sharply from a slow crawl, my accelerator floors without any engine rev or thrust , its as if the accelerator has malfunctioned or is not responsive. This lasts for a second or two at the maximum. I also mentioned the same at the Honda City workshop when it went in for regular servicing and the mechanic said could be due to some clogged fuel jet or something to that effect and said will look after it. Well it still re occurs once in a while and I was keen to know if anyone else is facing a similar problem and how did they resolve it. warm regrds
Old 24th February 2022, 14:36   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I have decided not to fit any seat covers , mine is a VX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibisbrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout View Post
Mine is a V variant and was a nightmare in terms of keeping the beige fabric clean. Chose to go for Honda OEM seat covers due to the reason & belief cited by ibisbrew. Incidentally these Honda covers came with "Airbag" label marking on the sides.
Usually, yes, it's simpler to live with factory fitted seats no additional covers needed. If you feel the need due to children in household, an interior/seat shampoo routine once or twice a year would leave the seats sparkling clean. I followed this with my old car ownership (had beige fabric seats) and I intend to follow the same with my new City as well.

If you are still inclined to have additional seat covers, go with OEM only if your car comes equipped with side airbags.
sankdadevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 21:46   #2127
BHPian

My dad currently has a booking of Sonet HTX AT. I’m asking him to consider Honda city CVT variant due to it’s comfort and spacious cabin along with easy availability, but the major drawback is the uncertain future of Honda in India. Is it worth to take a punt on Honda now? I’m myself skeptical about it’s future, but isn’t City a dream car for everyone.
Old 24th February 2022, 22:44   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph11 View Post
My dad currently has a booking of Sonet HTX AT. I’m asking him to consider Honda city CVT variant due to it’s comfort and spacious cabin along with easy availability, but the major drawback is the uncertain future of Honda in India. Is it worth to take a punt on Honda now? I’m myself skeptical about it’s future, but isn’t City a dream car for everyone.
What the future holds is unknown. We can only take calculated risks. As far as our ownership is concerned, I trust the reliability that brand Honda holds. Even if they shut shop, there would be service support available as they already have too large of a network & presence across India. Plus they have good manufacturing facilities in India from where they produce cars for India and for exports, so I don't see availability of spares becoming an issue. I had similar concerns and based on these factors I decided to buy the City. I would rather suggest to have your father drive and be driven in the contenders and let him make an informed choice. All the best.
sankdadevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 23:12   #2129
BHPian

Thanks, Honda does provide a hassle free ownership along with it’s reliable engines it’s a no-brainer. Would try to convince my dad for a test drive and then take a informed decision.
Old 25th February 2022, 06:31   #2130
BHPian

Quote:

Very good point. Precisely this was my query too when I bought the City. I got a single stitched one from the dealer was there monitoring it. He even changed the strength of the thread at that place by replacing a single strand one to cater to any eventuality. It's preferred to leave it without a cover if you can to be 100% safe about safety features ready to be deployed. Pray to God that such a scenario should not occur.
SeshSrini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed