Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2022, 18:51   #2566
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Supposed to be very good. Won't work with Apple Carplay though.

Was looking for a good one that works with Carplay for my Jazz.

YEETY5T7Y9G5A_0?th=1[/url]
I've been using Ottocast carplay dongle for a year and it has been flawless after 1st firmware upgrade. Never faced any disconnection issues or overheating problems. The only downside is that it takes a good 2-3s to respond when changing music tracks, which one gets used to eventually.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/4...3&ref_=ast_bln
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 13:01   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
Placed the booking for the ZX MT Pearl White model today. My experience with Ring Road Honda, Gurgaon was good. The total price was ~16L for this, with discounts of 13K and add-ons for the utility package.
The delivery timeline is hopefully in Navratri (Sept end/Oct), so I should have it in my hands soon. Pretty excited!
Congrats! Good to know that this is still the preferred choice after so many new car launches. I love Virtus’s looks and sometimes wonder if I would pick it over City if I had to buy today. However, with 95% peak Delhi traffic driving, I don’t think I would have been able to live with the turbo lag of 1.0 TSI.

Don’t worry about missing on ventilated seats, the AC unit more than compensates for it. Get the ceramic coating done (as soon as you take the delivery) helps maintain the pearl white shine for long. Even after 20 months I just need to give it a proper wash and looks as good as new.
AutoConsultant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 13:11   #2568
BHPian

Quote:
Placed the booking for the ZX MT Pearl White model today.
Congratulations and welcome to the City club. I was also in a similar dilemma with Slavia. However, as you rightly said the 1.0 litre of the Slavia did not feel good to drive and the 1.5 l of the Slavia was way over priced than 1.5 l of the City. This coupled with the indifference and holier than thou attitude of the Skoda dealer made City the pick of the lot. I am nearing 5000 kms and it has been a smooth sailing.

Regards
Diesel.
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 14:07   #2569
BHPian

Congratulations on the 10k mark! Wishing you lots of happy milestones ahead!

I'm surprised that you didn't opt to change the stock tyres on the City. I have a 5th gen ZX automatic that is about to be a year old with 6.5 k kms on the odometer. The very next day of my car being delivered, I changed the stock Bridgestone Ecopia 185/55 to 195/55 from Continental. The stock tyres felt too dainty for the size of the car, and this also helped in improving the ground clearance a bit. I've driven on some bad patches (mostly on the way to South Goa) and never faced a single instance of underbody scraping. Lots of city driving, sometimes with the car fully occupied, and I've never had any trouble with the speedbumps. Maybe you can opt for a change once your stock tyres are old enough for a replacement. Cheers!
Old 6th September 2022, 15:54   #2570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpirocks View Post
Last month, while traveling to Mahabaleshwar in the rain, I suddenly felt something fly out of the right side of the car. As I was at speed and in the first lane of the highway, I decided to inspect it at my next stop. Oddly, I discovered that the Right ORVM mirror cap had just come off. Not a trace of damage. The ORVM was operating just like new!
In my case, while I was driving on a single lane village road, a cow suddenly appeared from nowhere and dashed into right ORVM. ORVM cap was broken and toppled over. After inspecting, found all the motors to move the mirror were working fine. Went to Honda service center and talked to one of the attendant there. He got a spare ORVM cap (probably from other car where ORVM was replaced for some other issue) and fixed it on my car in couple of minutes. No forms filled, no money paid, no wait time, no second visit - just a good sensible guy at the service station using his common sense and going little beyond and helping his customer.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2022 at 09:26. Reason: ORVM, not OVRM
yogesh.8984 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 15:54   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
This coupled with the indifference and holier than thou attitude of the Skoda dealer made City the pick of the lot.
My experience with Skoda Gurgaon was awesome. Probably the best car query experience I had. The SA was helpful, answered everything, arranged 2 TDs back to back, etc. Sadly their vehicle didn't sway my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Get the ceramic coating done (as soon as you take the delivery) helps maintain the pearl white shine for long. Even after 20 months I just need to give it a proper wash and looks as good as new.
That's honestly what confuses me. Since this is my 1st car, and having barely any experience in aftermarket modifications or services, I am still in the process of researching the below points using this and other threads. Would love it if someone can chime in and point me to simple answers a newbie would understand.
  1. Mats: I've read that the Autofurnish mats are pretty good, and they definitely look the part. Price is fine, though I'm still open to suggestions if there are better mats, though I don't like the hard ones that Honda was offering in the basic kit (which I skipped)
  2. Underbody and chassis care/coatings: Right not, I have not opted for any sort of coating or underbody care from Honda. I've read that PPF isn't recommended on white cars, due to the yellowing issue. Hence, ceramic is best. Is this correct? Also, is the underbody coating recommended as well? I would be glad if someone can recommend good spots in Gurgaon to get these things done.
  3. Tyres: Being someone new to cars and all, I won't be upgrading the tyres so soon. Maybe after a few years once they're worn out and I am knowledgeable enough to understand the difference with upgraded pieces as well.
  4. Sound Damping: Again, not really sure if this would be needed, and I plan to use the car for ~6 months before deciding whether to get this done or not.
  5. RSA: I didn't opt for the RSA by Honda, they were asking for 4K for it. Since my driving split is 80/20 on the city/highway, didn't see any value in getting this. Do let me know if the opposite would be better though.
  6. Reverse Camera: This is the worst part tbh. I may be interested in getting this upgraded, though not sure if this would end up voiding the warranty.
  7. Seat Covers: Had gone to the car market near Lajpat Nagar (Delhi) for the covers on his Seltos. Good experience, but less variety. Since the City has leather seats, and I sweat a lot, please do let me know the best places in NCR for getting these put, which would also have decent variety and colour options.

It's only been ~24 hours and I'm knee-deep into research. My excitement is leaking.
Old 6th September 2022, 17:51   #2572
BHPian

Quote:

It's only been ~24 hours and I'm knee-deep into research. My excitement is leaking.

Mats - All 7D mats are similar in quality, get anyone you like

Underbody Coating - Haven’t got it done yet but thinking about it just to cover and add minor insulation for the wheel arches

Ceramic coating - I can feel the difference even after 20 months so I would recommend it. Don’t spend more than 20-25k though

Tyres - Stock tyres are decent . Within city driving I haven’t felt any lack of grip or excessive tyre noise. It is on the highway that they become a lot more noisy. I am also planning to change only when the stock tyres are nearing end of life

RSA - It’s a scam according to me. In the initial years there’s just very low chance of a breakdown if you do basic maintenance right. Even if you break down, you will still end up spending much lower than this amount

Reverse Camera - Haven’t seen any viable replacement options yet. You will get used to it in some time

Seat Covers - Highly recommend not using any seat covers. The leather seats are brilliant and won’t make you extra sweaty. Use them to the fullest and then think of getting covers when they wear out. If you still wish to get covers, get them from Honda only as the City has Front Seat airbags and I don’t trust aftermarket seat covers to function seamlessly with the airbags
AutoConsultant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 18:57   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
[*] Underbody and chassis care/coatings: Also, is the underbody coating recommended as well? I would be glad if someone can recommend good spots in Gurgaon to get these things done.[*] Tyres: Being someone new to cars and all, I won't be upgrading the tyres so soon. Maybe after a few years once they're worn out and I am knowledgeable enough to understand the difference with upgraded pieces as well.

Get the underbody coat done, mainly to blacken the wheel wells. I'm not sure if it looks ok on a white car but it was an ugly contrast on my darker shade. Also it may give very minor noise insulation. The exhaust will be copper coated and the rest of the underbody including the wheel wells rubber coated (black).

Tyres are noisy only during the day time in hot temperatures in my opinion. The late evenings and during the night they're fine. Performance wise, it is a good tyre if you're just using the car for commuting. It has decent wet grip too. Change them if you feel they're undertired or not proportionate in the wheel well, I don't consider it essential but more of a luxury. Either swap them when they're new for good value or upgrade after using up their life.

Seat covers are not needed, especially if you are getting the leather ones. But if you insist do it only at the ASS as fellow bhpians mentioned.
cule1899_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 19:25   #2574
BHPian

Hello, I have been using wide view in reverse camera and it’s better and other two views. When we put car in reverse and click on infotainment system screen we get reverse camera settings button on left hand side corner, we cannot see it normally unless we click the screen in reverse gear. Pardon my ignorance if everyone knows about this settings but i got to know it after 5 months after using car. We have to adjust brightness and contrast to highest and i feel camera quality is better or at least we can live with it.
Neurodoc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 19:32   #2575
BHPian

I too feel the stock upholstery is best for Honda City, gives a premium look and feel. The AC compensates for the cabin temperature and the leather feel shouldn't bother you.
Old 6th September 2022, 20:12   #2576
BHPian

Hmm, on reading about the covers, I might wait a bit before getting those put. Will try without for a few weeks and then decide.

Thanks all!
Old 6th September 2022, 20:45   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurodoc View Post
Hello, I have been using wide view in reverse camera and it’s better and other two views. When we put car in reverse and click on infotainment system screen we get reverse camera settings button on left hand side corner, we cannot see it normally unless we click the screen in reverse gear. Pardon my ignorance if everyone knows about this settings but i got to know it after 5 months after using car. We have to adjust brightness and contrast to highest and i feel camera quality is better or at least we can live with it.
Yes, the camera quality is not that bad, though we are disappointed initially. And just like AutoConsultant suggested, we get used to it over time.
c@rwate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 21:47   #2578

Hi, question for all Honda City V model owners, since it has 15 inch tyres, is it advisable to upgrade it to 16 inch tyres or keep the 15 inchers. I checked with Honda dealer and they are not ready to replace the tyres saying it will void the warranty. Apart from asthetic value (bigger rims looks better) is there any other usefulness of upgrading the rims and tyres to 16 incher?
Old 7th September 2022, 12:54   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto4lyf View Post
Hi, question for all Honda City V model owners, since it has 15 inch tyres, is it advisable to upgrade it to 16 inch tyres or keep the 15 inchers. I checked with Honda dealer and they are not ready to replace the tyres saying it will void the warranty. Apart from asthetic value (bigger rims looks better) is there any other usefulness of upgrading the rims and tyres to 16 incher?
I'm running the stock 15inches on my VCVT. Contrary to the popular opinion about bigger rims and better looks, 15-inch alloys are just fine unless you have the compulsive need to upgrade. I'd suggest a good set of tyres as an upgrade instead of 16-inch alloys.

Plus, the 15-inch alloys give tyres a thicker sidewall which translates to slightly better comfort and lesser sidewall damages.

Cheers !
Swarup5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:00   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto4lyf View Post
Hi, upgrade to 16 inches is not necessary unless you are concerned about looks. 15 inch wheels are good enough and tyres have better side wall height. You can consider upgrading tyres to continental or Michiline 185 to 195 if worried about road noise and handling. I upgraded my tyres to Michiline primacy 4ST after delivery, feel there is reduced road noise on highway runs but it’s personal choice. On the downside tyre sidewall height gets reduced. I had to change my right front tyre after sidewall damage by hitting a stone at night. About the warranty my SA was okay with upgrading tyres and didn’t mention anything otherwise.
Neurodoc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed