Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2022, 14:06   #2761
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

I just did my first long drive in the city cvt that replaced our 2011 fiesta and must say the car is super impressive. The cvt takes a bit of time getting used to, the steering is super accurate and low effort, much better than the Sonet I drive.

I can see why people still go for this, we shifted from diesel to petrol after 30 years and Honda was the first choice. The fuel economy was around 16.5kmpl according to the on board display, good for the Kanjirapally - Kumily - Bangalore route(600km), which is uphill for nearly 1/3 of the distance.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 14:47   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Yes we can install 205's ,I have 205's Michelin's on my car, no rubbing issues whatsoever on complete steering lock to lock, car looks perfect on 205's in my opinion
Does upgrading impact the warranty?
Old 7th November 2022, 16:24   #2763
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
No doubt about it, you will loose warranty on all suspension components, steering rack etc. in case if anything goes wrong. It's kind of a preference, either you go with your heart (gut feel I would say) or keep the warranty intact. Knowing Honda, they would have kept the alloys width as 6j for which a 205 section tyre would be the max limit. A 6.5j alloy would be better suited for 205 section tyres.

I had updated my Honda City tyres to 195 section Michelins along with alloy wheels and fitted an after market complete audio setup. And in my Skoda Rapid, went for 195 section Michelins (same as OEM, would update to 205 next time), and a full blown after market audio system setup including amplifiers, components and subwoofer.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 21:41   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiranraj Govind View Post
I liked the test drive but when It came to closing the deal and booking the car - I felt the dealership was very rigid.
Did you finalize the deal? I am in the market and got a quote from Dakshin Honda. Looks like there is not much discount on CVT. However for manual there is a discount this month - refer this.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 10:35   #2765
BHPian

There are no discounts at Brigade Honda either for the CVT. I am currently holding a booking and expect the car to arrive this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Did you finalize the deal? I am in the market and got a quote from Dakshin Honda. Looks like there is not much discount on CVT. However for manual there is a discount this month - refer this.
ellip5i5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 15:20   #2766
BHPian

Hi All,
It is almost a month since I took the delivery of Golden Brown City V CVT.

I would like to thank the Forum members for all their valuable inputs which helped me to go ahead with the purchase.

I had booked the car in August-22 got the delivery in 05-Oct, primary delay due to non-availability of Golden Brown Color.

Dealer - Olympia Honda, Chennai

The Service Representative was pretty flexible, he allowed me to take the insurance from outside, didn't push for any accessories, plus got me a cash discount as well.

I took the following accessories from the dealer
Seat Cover
Mud Flap
Bumper Edge Protector
Door Edge Protector

Following are the accessories I got outside
Upsized the tyres from from 185\60\R15 to 195\60\R15
Turtle Wax Ceramic Coating
7d Mats
Viofo A129 Duo Dash Cams
Lumar Air 80 Sun Film including the Front Glass.

One minor issue encountered so far, one of the Vipers is having a problem, they have raised warranty replacement.
Arun_S is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 10:20   #2767
BHPian

Deflation warning system on 5th Gen City

Hello folks,

I wanted to discuss a bit on the deflation warning system on 5th gen City. Although advertised as a TPMS, the system on Honda is a simpler affair. It monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tyre while you are driving.

So yesterday morning as I started the car, moved out of parking and in about 500mts or so the deflation warning alert popped up. I visually inspected the tyres and didn't see anything out of order. The usual kicking the tyres also revealed no issues.

I had been in same situation about 15 days back when I straight away took the car to air filling station to check the air pressure, however the pressure across all tyres was reported as normal. I sensed a repeat of the same episode. So I went to settings and initliazed the deflation warning system to remove the alert. I reached office without any further drama.

In the evening as I started driving out of office parking once again the deflation warning system alerted me of loss in air pressure. Once again I performed the same drill and didn't find anything out of ordinary. Even while driving the car, it was not drifting/dragging in any direction. Anyways, for peace of mind I went straight to a trusted tyre pressure/puncture repair shop. There it was realised that the left rear tyre had lost half of its air pressure. Instead of being 30psi, it was reporting 16psi. This coupled with the fact that over the last long drive all other tyres had also lost about 2-3 psi pressure, I was unable to detect the major loss of tyre pressure in one tyre visually or by kicking. The puncture was discovered and fixed promptly and I went on my way home.

This proves that the deflation warning system works (although it can throw up a false positive once in a while.) However, I would like to understand from other owners and experts on the forum, what can be done to safely and surely determine loss of air pressure while on the road? As the City misses the TPMS, resolving the mystery of which tyre (if any) has lost pressure is a manual affair. I believe a portable air pressure monitor can be handy and helpful in such situations. Anything other than this that can be employed?
sankdadevil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 12:11   #2768
BHPian

Re: Deflation warning system on 5th Gen City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankdadevil View Post
This proves that the deflation warning system works (although it can throw up a false positive once in a while.) However, I would like to understand from other owners and experts on the forum, what can be done to safely and surely determine loss of air pressure while on the road? As the City misses the TPMS, resolving the mystery of which tyre (if any) has lost pressure is a manual affair. I believe a portable air pressure monitor can be handy and helpful in such situations. Anything other than this that can be employed?
I had posted my experience with the deflation warning system earlier. Several times it has not reported a warning even after a pressure loss of 5-6psi and that is why I don't like to rely on it. I wish the facelift gets a full fledged TPMS. Heck, even our '13 XUV500 got TPMS (spare tyre too) which was launched way back in 2011.

Invest in a portable tyre inflator and keep it in your boot, along with jumper cables, might come in handy some day god forbid. You could also buy a pressure gauge, but not all are accurate. The tyre inflator does the job of a pressure gauge itself. Checking by your hand or by kicking the tyre does not paint an accurate picture.

Some may call me paranoid but I check the pressure of all tyres each and every time I take my car/bike out of the garage, hardly takes 2-3 mins.
Old 9th November 2022, 23:15   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
No it had absolutely no impact in my case, If you search this thread, I have shared my detailed experience few months back regarding the same, Whereby i had a front wheel bearing replaced under warranty.

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 9th November 2022 at 23:17.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 23:31   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
No it had absolutely no impact in my case, If you search this thread, I have shared my detailed experience few months back regarding the same, Whereby i had a front wheel bearing replaced under warranty.
Got ZX MT delivered today (It's for my in laws though). I checked with the sales person and his boss and they confirmed that suspension and steering warranty will lapse on upsizing the tyres. I gave up the idea since it's going to be chauffer driven and will seldom go beyond 80-90 kmph.
Old 11th November 2022, 17:04   #2771

Got the alloy wheels painted black and the front chrome and ORVM's wrapped in 3M Gloss Black. Also added some red accents. The alloy wheel paint cost was Rs. 6000 and the wrap cost was Rs. 3750. Hope its not looking overdone.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20220924_16063301.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20220924_162142.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20220924_16212001.jpeg  

mbit23 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 17:29   #2772

Quote:
I checked with the SA in the Honda Showroom today and he was empathic that a tyre upgrade to 205/55/R16 would not impact warranty, however a resize to R17 might impact warranty.

I think this differs from showroom to showroom and there is no clear mandate.
vikramhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 12:56   #2773
BHPian

Folks, I got a new honda city zxc vt grey in August this year. I haven't done any upgrades/changes at all so far. I wanted clarity on a couple of things

- The driver rammed the car into a pillar while turning into the parking. The rear door has a small dent + colours come off. Friends are suggesting getting it redone immediately as the first-year insurance has zero dip etc. Does it make sense? The dent is relatively small and doesn't bother me. But now this statement is stuck in my head. Should I get it done?

- There's a small dent/chip on the bonnet of the car as well. I think this happened while driving on the highway and a small pebble scraped through. I was surprised that the quality is so bad. How can I get this done? With above?

- Do I need underbody coating? Ceramic coating?

- The current horn is useless. Can I upgrade the horn to a hella trumpet as mentioned by others here? Can someone suggest a workshop for this in HYD?

- One of the vipers makes some noise in use. Can this be replaced for free for now?

Last edited by karanskumar : 13th November 2022 at 13:06. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 13th November 2022, 21:36   #2774

Hello everyone,

We decided to go with Honda 5th gen City V CVT (Golden Brown), and the vehicle was readily available. We requested PDI and SA agreed. The location is Magnum Honda in Kanakapura nearby Vajrahalli metro station. We reached the stockyard/service center/showroom by 1 PM by metro. The car was parked on the rooftop, and it was slightly raining. The SA showed us the car and asked us to proceed with the PDI and left. We liked being given space to check the car ourselves without anyone pressuring us to finish it fast. We unfolded the umbrella and started the inspection.

The outside is decent. We couldn’t see any scratches/dents. We checked if all 4 windows have the same id. The VIN matched the one shared by SA, it's Oct 2022 make. We went inside, and the dashboard was clean and intact. Honda City has three 12V sockets, and we checked all of them. The Apple CarPlay is decent. Hands-free calling is working. I found the speaker quality not exciting, but as expected from 4 speaker system. The ODO reading is just 4km. All lights (inside and outside) were tested, along with the vipers and indicators. We opened the bonnet, and the engine bay was very clean. In the end, we found a small scratch inside the driver-side door, I am guessing it has to do with friction associated with the door closing before the door sealant rubber was fit. We didn't mind this small thing, but informed the SA about this scratch. We gave a green signal for car delivery. We are expecting delivery in a week including all the formalities.

A small scratch inside the driver side door
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-scratch-driver-side-door.jpg

A front look of the car
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-front.jpg

High beam working
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-high-beam.jpg

Low beam working
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-low-beam.jpg

Clean engine bay
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-engine-bay.jpg

Just 4km on ODO
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-odo.jpg

Stock MRF 185/60/R15 tires, changing to 205/55/R15 continental UC6
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-mrf-tires.jpg

An informative information at the service center.
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-extended-warranty.jpg

Educating the customers with good information. I liked the initiative. There are many mechanical parts on display with price tags, a transparent move. The differences between new oil and used oil, etc., were on display too. I missed clicking them.
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-tire-deapth.jpg
fogg_23 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:54   #2775
BHPian

Re: Deflation warning system on 5th Gen City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
I had posted my experience with the deflation warning system earlier. Several times it has not reported a warning even after a pressure loss of 5-6psi and that is why I don't like to rely on it. I wish the facelift gets a full fledged TPMS. Heck, even our '13 XUV500 got TPMS (spare tyre too) which was launched way back in 2011.

Invest in a portable tyre inflator and keep it in your boot, along with jumper cables, might come in handy some day god forbid. You could also buy a pressure gauge, but not all are accurate. The tyre inflator does the job of a pressure gauge itself. Checking by your hand or by kicking the tyre does not paint an accurate picture.

Some may call me paranoid but I check the pressure of all tyres each and every time I take my car/bike out of the garage, hardly takes 2-3 mins.
We also had these scams running on Satara Highway, Pune where a couple of bike riding guys would wave and point to us that one of the tyres seems off.
We all know what would happen next, "coincidentally" we stop near a tyre repair shop and so on.
I got this tyre inflator with digital display from Amazon and works well for me -
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is one thing that bothers me about this - we have to screw/unscrew the inflating tube to the tyre valve instead of the usual ones we have at the regular tyre shops which push against the valve. There is a loss of pressure while screwing and unscrewing. To get around this, I set the desired pressure one point above the prescribed pressure.
c@rwate is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed