Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 17:28   #136
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Unlike the 4th gen City, which looked a lot like the 3rd gen, the new 5th gen City returns to its tradition of looking completely different from the previous one (just like how the 1st three generations looked different from each other).

I have mixed feelings about the design. On one hand, I like the balance, the clean lines and spot on proportions. On the other hand, I wish it were a little sharper, a little more exciting. The previous two Citys were arguably the best looking cars in the segment at launch, the new one might not be able to claim that.

That said, the interiors look a lot more premium than the current one. Eagerly waiting for more details about the India-spec City!
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:04   #137
BHPian

Frankly, when I look at the interior, I feel as if the air con vents are yelling for attention. What the hell. Why did they have to extend the silver border all the way up? Feels so out of place.

Because of the Amaze, the new city looks pretty meh as far as exterior is concerned.
Old 25th November 2019, 18:04   #138
BHPian

Disappointing to see Honda so mellowed down on the design aspect. Loved their 3rd Gen City and felt 4th Gen was a grown up. The 5th Gen is not as enticing.

Using the same instrument cluster as the Amaze shouts built-to-a-cost especially when the new entrants have swanky colour MIDs/LCD screens.

Looks like most of R&D funds has been used to develop the 1.0L Turbo petrol engine leaving the remaining car with a deja-vu feeling.
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:50   #139
BHPian

As an owner of the 4th gen Honda City, i would like to opine that the design of the 5th Gen Honda City is a huge disappointment. It's not looking proportionate. Looks bulky at the rear with more rounded features. City is known for futuristic exterior designs with sharp lines running across which resonated with young crowd. But, not this one.

This design looks more like a mix of Vento and Amaze.

Last edited by samy1117 : 25th November 2019 at 18:50. Reason: Astricks removed.
samy1117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 19:08   #140
Senior - BHPian

Flared fender arches and upsized wheels would do wonders. As a longtime Mitsubishi Lancer/Cedia fan I can appreciate the simplistic lines. Wonder what it would look like with the Cedia's OZ racing alloys but in 17".
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 19:27   #141
Senior - BHPian

I like the new styling ! I've always been a fan of plain and understated styling in sedans, such as in the European ones.

At 4.55m this will be longest in class sedan. Longer than the Ciaz which is 4.49m, and wider than it too. Should be lighter than the current gen City when it launches here.

Also, I don't think the 1.0 litre turbo will make its way to India since the BS6 City is being launched with the tried and tested 1.5L iVtec. They launched it in Thailand only for the new eco rules.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 25th November 2019 at 19:37.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 19:40   #142
BHPian

Honda City.. now Toyotafied!

For a Gen 3 city owner, this is absolute disappointment! For a day or so entertained the thought of getting this generation as a replacement, but that aspiration has been taken away with this insipid design.

Sure this will get the numbers, but Honda for me was always sportier and edgier than the big T. This one looks like they got together and had a baby. Or more accurately H adopted an abandoned T.
Honda Yaris anyone?
mayjay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 20:00   #143
Senior - BHPian

Well well, the City's tail lamp has been inspired by the 3 Series' for three generations now. Not many cars have such a close relationship, not even within the same stables

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-cit3y_1.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-cit3y_2.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-cit3y_3.jpg
aravind.anand is online now   (56) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 20:13   #144
Senior - BHPian

The teaser said that "You won't be disappointed" with the new city, everyone here is saying that they are. Quite frankly I think it's good,lets wait for it to be seen in flesh once it comes. The Dolphin model also was not a favorite design and quite frankly I think it looks much better than the 4th gen's version 1. It will be a good replacement for the older gen Civic owners who don't want to pay exorbitant sum of money for the same amount of sheet metal they have. But the choice is shifting towards CUV/SUV (as known by everyone) it remains to see how the market takes to this one once it launches here.
Old 25th November 2019, 20:41   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
....Happy to see 3 headrests at the rear along with a proper seat-belt for the passenger in the middle. ...
Also does it feature a 60:40 seats split?
Rest assured, Honda will not provide the rear mid seat headrest for Indian customers in the name of cost cutting as they have done across all models in the past. Even the Civic does not have rear mid headrest in India which is a critical safety feature if they claim it to be a 5 seater. Not just Honda, none of the mass market sedan manufacturers think that we Indians deserve a rear mid headrest.
Also you can forget about 60-40 split seats being offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
....Are there any reviews of the new 1.0 lt turbo engine as of now?
We can dream on about the turbo petrol.. but we always get the older NA petrol , although no denying that the NA petrol engine is a brilliant piece of engineering.

The silver border along the AC vents does not look elegant. Will make the dashboard age faster in terms of looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The teaser said that "You won't be disappointed" with the new city...
It is like the Windows operating system, one may crib or whine but when it comes to a buying decision, the buyer will go for it for the incredible comfort, efficient and hasslefree superior experience that only a City can offer in the C2 sedan segment. The City has evolved in a spectacular manner with every generation in terms of value, always way ahead of its competitors.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th November 2019 at 21:01.
for_cars1 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 21:03   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well well, the City's tail lamp has been inspired by the 3 Series' for three generations now. Not many cars have such a close relationship, not even within the same stables
Even I thought the same about the new tail lights. Honda itself has been influenced by BMW. The Civic Ex rear looked like BMW 20 years ago when I saw it for first time. They also benchmark BMW for Accord etc.
Old 25th November 2019, 21:08   #147
BHPian

I would say that this is a very Toyotayish design (with BMW taillights) on the outside and Hyundai-esque design on the Inside.

Even though is not as sharp as City lovers like it to be I'm sure the general indian public will love this design. If this translates into sales or not is yet to be seen.

I think it's the Yaris like side profile that is throwing people off.
Old 25th November 2019, 21:17   #148
Senior - BHPian

This looks alright in my book. Its a family sedan with a jack of all trade personality after all.

The notion that this one looks old and bland and one for the older generation etc etc , well it was never really a looker or anything to start with. Its a simple small sedan car built to appeal to the largest audience possible and packing as much stuff as it can within a budget. And that it achieves marvelously.

The bread and butter model for Honda I assume, this should see takers given that there is no formidable opponent to counter its popularity.

Last edited by bigron : 25th November 2019 at 21:22.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 21:44   #149
BHPian

Personally I don't like the Honda city design from the introduction of the chrome moustache .
But still it will look much much better than the hideous 2020 Verna though
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 22:01   #150
Senior - BHPian

Here is an exclusive walk around video of the new City by Shapur from Autocarindia
ram87pune is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed