Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 22:42   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

The City last wowed me when it still was the low slung v-tec of the early 2000. It was more or less a collective wow from everyone and very few didn't like the design! From then on, it was like any other sedan you weigh on pros-cons cause it looks like everything else out there and became more about function over form.
But i do quite like this design, it at least makes you hold an opinion. The current one frankly looks just as boring as a Verna or Ciaz whether LED lights or not.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-162846.jpg

Mod Note : It is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Please submit images ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th November 2019 at 10:46. Reason: please do not upload externally hosted images. It is imperative to use the Team-BHP upload tool. Refer to mod not in post.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 22:44   #152
Senior - BHPian

My third post today about this car and im finally coming to terms with the design.
Whilst the first 2 posts were all about how disappointed i am like many others in this forum, Im now beginning to understand what Honda have tried here.

They have designed a well proportioned car that will appeal to a large audience, it is big on space, it is good looking without being edgy.

We were all expecting a medium sized Civic which this is not !

Honda knows who the target audience is and they have delivered.

I may not buy one on impulse, but i may just buy one if i used my head.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 22:59   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Here is an exclusive walk around video of the new City by Shapur from Autocarindia
Saw the video. Since I haven't actually driven the vehicle, the only thing I can do is comment about its design.

It looks bland.

The only part about the design that I actually like is the rear tail lights (which, as some of you pointed out, looks similar to BMW 3 series).

I particularly disliked the beige interiors shown in the video, although the pictures of black interiors a few pages ago on this thread looked nice.

In fact, I like the decade old Vento's interiors (and exteriors, for that matter) more than this. It's timeless!

I don't know how true this is, but the video mentions that the interiors have better fit, finish, and quality .

Last edited by voldemort : 25th November 2019 at 23:01.
Old 25th November 2019, 23:07   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Here is an exclusive walk around video of the new City by Shapur from Autocarindia
Seeing the ACI video few things I observed:

- Ok so the looks are not exciting and bland but now it looks way more grown up and almost D1 segment. Park next to a Corolla and it would not appear a smaller car. The proportions look grown up now.
- Surprised to see a 11mm shorter wheelbase than older car.
- The rear seats will have to be redesigned for India. This looked like 2 seater with a very narrow middle seat and no rear AC vent.
- The MID even in top spec was cheap black and white. Baleno and YAris are colour MID!
- No auto dimming IRVM. Honda is going to be stingy with features yet again.
- 1.5L NA for India and no 1.0L Turbo. That's interesting.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th November 2019 at 00:02.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 00:00   #155
Team-BHP Support

Honda City TVC for Thailand -

Old 26th November 2019, 00:02   #156
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys here's a screenshot of the lower spec model with a non touch screen infotainment unit The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574706693.931850.jpg

I think this is probably a SV trim
nik_kapur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 00:49   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Ok guys here's a screenshot of the lower spec model with a non touch screen infotainment unit Attachment 1938966

I think this is probably a SV trim
I forgot to mention that I don’t have any affection towards the centre console though Now this picture of a lower variant just ruined my night. Lol! Wish Honda could’ve come up with something creative and been generous while they’re at it.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 00:58   #158
BHPian

Autocar seems to appreciate the build quality. I think we should give this an upfront look before making an impression of it being boring.
aenkay91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 02:04   #159
Team-BHP Support

Ok, so here are some details not many people noticed (till now I guess) about the all-new City -

1. The new Honda City is actually CHEAPER than the outgoing car.

On initial look, it may look like the new City is slightly more expensive than the outgoing car, which started at 5,50,000 BHT compared to 5,79,500 for the newer version. Looks like a nominal increase, so I didn't cross-check earlier as well.

But turns out the earlier base model was SMT, whereas there is no manual option available for Thailand this time. SCVT was priced at 5,89,000 earlier - so that's a 10k BHT reduction in price for the new City compared to earlier. Good news for India, as City is already priced on the higher side here!

2. Weight - Didn't see this figure getting reported. It is 1150kgs for S & V CVT versions, and 1154 kgs for SV CVT version, all options with the 1.5 iVTec

3. Tyres - Still undertyred - but 185 / 60R15 is better than the 175/65 R15 tyres of the last generation. Only the RS gets 16 inchers - so we may not receive that option after-all.

4. Turning radius is down to 5 meters from 5.3 meters.

5. Only RS gets LED headlamps. Rest have projector setup. Cruise Control, Paddle Shift, Rear armrest, Passenger side visor mirror, 8 speaker system (Others get only 4), Honda Connect etc are also present only on the RS.

6. Touchscreen audio system is present on RS and SV CVT as well. V CVT and S CVT get the basic audio as shown in the above post.

7. Only RS gets side airbags. All other variants get dual front and front side airbags as standard. HSA is standard.

8. No Auto IRVM. No Android Auto. No sunroof. No rear aircon vents. No sunblinds. No handsfree trunk. No ventilated seats.

Needless to say - Honda has to come up with a different feature distribution for the Indian market. Even the RS comes with fewer features compared to competition like the Verna, SV is truly hopeless. Hopefully, we get more loaded VX and ZX versions as with the current City.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th November 2019 at 09:21. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 08:37   #160
Senior - BHPian

I personally don't like this trend of sedans having flat bonnets and front fascia like SUVs. That being said, I think the design could have been a lot worse considering Honda's downward slope.

This design is akin to gambling and not losing as much money as you thought you would lose.

@mods: 210 bhp from a 1.0 turbo? Or is that a typo?
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-capture.jpg
landcruiser123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 09:06   #161
BHPian

The city has become less and less fun to drive and more mature over the years interns of design. This will fit a chaffeur driven Seth or mid level executive more than a young professional. And it looks like city is trying to differentiate itself from its peers even more interns of dimensions and demand D segment money (or close to ) for a C+ segment car.
Old 26th November 2019, 09:09   #162
BHPian

Disappointed with the looks. I think Honda has messed up the stance of the City to a large extent. Gone is the aggressive 'arrow' silhouette and in comes the 'plain Jane'. Surely can give the old Corolla a run for its money in the geriatric demographic.

Honda could have instilled a new life in the sedan segment, but i believe it is an opportunity missed.
docprashant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:43   #163
BANNED

So, there goes the "love at first sight" nature of the City. Anyway, this will be an upgrade for all those who currently own a I/II/III gen City who might have reached their 50s/60s. But what is there for the customers of age 30s and 40s? A new sedan (Metro? ) below this City has to be launched for them with aggressive and attractive design elements like the III gen City, and of length around 4.3m.

Also, please don't lose the desirability of higher segment cars by giving their key design elements inlower segment cars. Sometimes, I am not able to identify whether an oncomng car is an Amaze or Civic. Even the rear has a lot of resemblence. That steals a lot of the desirability of Civic, while not adding much desirability to Amaze. Design elements can be shared within the segment or one segment below or higher. But sharing between Amaze and Civic? Can't digect.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th November 2019 at 11:03.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:50   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

2. Weight - Didn't see this figure getting reported. It is 1150kgs for S & V CVT versions, and 1154 kgs for SV CVT version, all options with the 1.5 iVTec
Where did you see a 1.5L i-vtec engine option and that kerb weight?

I see the same weight you mentioned but with 1.0L turbo.
Old 26th November 2019, 10:56   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well well, the City's tail lamp has been inspired by the 3 Series' for three generations now.
Notice the placement of the rear reflectors?

1st - nothing on the bumper but integrated in the tail lights.
2nd - Similar shape and placement.
3rd - Of course one can argue that the ones on the BMW are fake air vents but notice the shape?
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks