Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2020, 03:06   #391
BANNED

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

I hope honda comes up with an updated petrol engine. The current ivtech 1.2 has poor initial pickup even worse than i20 petrol. Feels underpowered at low speeds especially in jazz and wrv
aamirbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 11:17   #392
Senior - BHPian

According to Hormazd Sorabjee,

Honda to launch New City this month end.

Lockdown & Restrictions notwithstanding.

Showrooms are being prepped up for launch of Honda's Flagship Model.

New City could be priced at premium as Honda could sell both New & Old City together according to this report

Source
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 10:41   #393
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Honda City to get petrol & diesel engine options

According to a media report, the next-generation Honda City is likely to be launched once the lockdown is lifted. The car is expected to come with petrol and diesel engine options.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-q1iwae1t2zfwwt3i59wko.jpg

The new City is likely to be offered with a 1.5-litre petrol engine producing 119 BHP and 145 Nm. This engine is likely to be available with either a 5-speed manual gearbox or a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The second engine option will be a 1.5-litre diesel. It is believed to be the same engine that was available on the outgoing model, except that it has been upgraded to comply with BS6 emission norms.

The fifth-generation Honda City is expected to be offered in three variants. The car will come with LED headlamps and LED tail lights, a dual-tone interior with a 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel, 8-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit, 6 airbags and a Lanewatch camera.

Source

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 11:03   #394
Senior - BHPian

I just cannot get over the Rear view mirror position. Looks like somebody glued it on the door last minute.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:57   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I just cannot get over the Rear view mirror position. Looks like somebody glued it on the door last minute.
Those look like the Fiat Linea's rear view mirrors.. even EcoSport, Captur have similar type of mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20160707074751_fiatlinea125s3.jpg  

Last edited by virajmore03 : 20th May 2020 at 13:04. Reason: some addition
virajmore03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 16:06   #396
BHPian

Quote:
That infact is done on purpose to improve rearward visibility.
I think there was a discussion about the wing mirror placement somewhere on the forum. Not specifically about the City, but in general. Will post a link if I happen to find it.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 18:12   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajmore03 View Post
Those look like the Fiat Linea's rear view mirrors.. even EcoSport, Captur have similar type of mirrors.
+1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
That infact is done on purpose to improve rearward visibility.
I think there was a discussion about the wing mirror placement somewhere on the forum. Not specifically about the City, but in general. Will post a link if I happen to find it.
Additionally, I won't be surprised if this mounting has been dictated by the inclusion of the LaneWatch camera in the new City. Generally its mounted in the ORVMs to the best of my knowledge and a slightly outward placement of the housing surely helps in getting a better view & avoiding any incursion by the flared wheel arches. The tubular mounting also gives more space for extra wiring harness thickness compared to traditional elbow mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Next-gen Honda City to get petrol & diesel engine options

The fifth-generation Honda City is expected to be offered in three variants. The car will come with LED headlamps and LED tail lights, a dual-tone interior with a 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel, 8-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit, 6 airbags and a Lanewatch camera.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th May 2020 at 18:14.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 19:32   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Current gen Jazz and WRV has the same setup and don’t see it as an afterthought.
They actually add more character and as Reinhard said it also helps in adding cables for the indicators and the lane watch camera.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 08:31   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Depending on perspective, can feel it's old school or new age stylish.

Guess before Merc popularised ORVMs on the A pillar base, most cars, especially Americans had the ORVMs on the door. Ferraris had them as far as I remember.
New age TNGA Toyotas have them for better visibility.

Personally feel, the Harrier's horrendous ORVM blindspot could have been avoided with a lower on the door placed ORVM.

The dolphin Honda City, Chevy Spark and Tata Aria are a few Indian market cars that come to mind for door mounted ORVMs.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 09:24   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Throttle response at low speeds would be better and crisp, as will be in-gear acceleration. It should make the i-VTEC a tad more responsive across RPMs in all gears.
I find the current iVTEC to be very responsive in its own right, at any RPM above 1300-1400 RPM, after which the throttle response and acceleration is linear - in one clean sweep of power right upto 7100 RPM or thereabouts.

If the refreshed engine better the throttle response, then thats an icing on the cake.
Old 12th June 2020, 11:27   #401
BHPian

I recently received a call from one of the Honda dealers in Kolkata - Pinnacle Honda about the upcoming City ( probably since I was contemplating trading my current 2012 City for the BS4 City with attractive discounts prior to the lockdown, eventually cancelled the plan). Got some interesting information:

1. The current gen ( 2017 facelift BS6 ) will for the lower variants of the City's line-up. The SV and V models will be the starting range and the current gen will be used for the same. The prices are expected to remain the same however they are giving discounts upto 1.5L on the same including cash discount, exchange bonus and loyalty bonus.

2. The new generation (5th Gen ) will take the VX and ZX variants. The car is bigger in all aspects ( as we already know) and the engine is supposed to be higher on power but not by much. But since the guy who called me seemed to know a little about cars, he mentioned that the power delivery and driving dynamics are gonna be better than the current gen with better lower end response.

That said the expected on-road prices are supposed to be INR 16 - 18L. This kills the deal for me. The City, while a great car is not worth 18L IMO.That's in the Octavia and Elantra range and if a person willing to shell out 18L, adding another 2-3L shouldn't be much difficult given we're getting a product from the segment above. The bookings have opened this month and the car is supposed to be launched later this month.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th June 2020 at 06:56. Reason: Typos
aenkay91 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 12:21   #402
Senior - BHPian

16-18 is OTR pricing which means ex showroom will be around 12 to 15. I dont think there is an Octavia variant that starts from this side of 20 lakhs OTR. The new City is dimensionally bigger than the current model so space won't be an issue for most buyers who do not want to splurge on a German car for whatever reasons.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 12th June 2020 at 12:23.
Old 12th June 2020, 14:19   #403
VVN
BHPian

Space was never really an issue for HC. I'd say the extra space is just a value add and not a feature which is worth 18L IMO. Similarly the build quality issue, if addressed, is simply how it should have been in the first place and Honda can't really charge extra for that. I'd love to see the list of confirmed features before commenting on whether it is actually over priced or VFM. Having just 2 variants when competitors are going all out with 5-6 variants with multiple engine and transmission options is essentially Honda giving up and asking the likes of Hyundai and Suzuki to take over.
VVN is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 15:35   #404
Senior - BHPian

I find it slightly weird that Honda is offering two different cars with the same "brand name- City" albeit with varying trims. I am sure they will continue the same 1.5 iVtec engine across the trims. I cannot remember a precedent for that (perhaps Dzire and Dzire Tour, but atleast they distinguished by name) . I hope they will at least come up with a new badging like a City "xxxx".
Old 13th June 2020, 00:45   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenkay91 View Post
1. The current gen ( 2017 facelift BS6 ) will for the lower variants of the City's line-up. The SV and V models will be the starting range and the current gen will be used for the same.

2. The new generation (5th Gen ) will take the VX and ZX variants.
I doubt this will be it, or at least I hope so! This just sounds silly.
How can you sell 2 generations which are so different by the same name and just mention a different trim?

It made sense if they wanted to sell both the generations of the City together with a different name or badging, albeit with a price reduction of the older model. But this makes absolutely no sense.

Sometimes I wonder if the people taking decisions like these are fools or they just don't understand the Indian market anymore, and rest of the time I wonder, are we fools and are just not able to understand their strategy?
bansal.sushant is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks