Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2020, 02:08   #406
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Even if the city is slightly larger than its rivals, it still cant command such a high premium, 18L OTR for a Honda City would be a real tough sell, the base model of the Civic comes in at 20.60 L OTR(Gurgaon). Also irrespective of its size, it's a C segment sedan at the end of the day, and nobody would be in the mood to dish out so much extra moolah. For a C segment sedan, my absolute upper limit would be 14-15 OTR.

On a side note - a dealer in patiala has confirmed that its launching on 25th June.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 09:00   #407
BHPian

Since Honda has nothing to lose, why not come out with a Type R for the old gen City? Or at least have a variant with sporty "pretensions" so that they can differentiate it from the crowd.
Old 13th June 2020, 09:31   #408
BHPian

The decision to sell the older and newer versions of the City, is an extremely bad decision by Honda India and will once and for all destroy the City brand.

It shows the bankruptcy of ideas in Honda's india management as they struggle to retain the "premium positioning" of the City.

Honda is no longer a premium brand, merely a Maruti + +. Cost cutting, lack of imagination and the king of petrol engines today, only has an ageing 1.5L engine that still rules despite being almost a decade old!

What the new City needed to stay relevant in a market that has shifted enmasse to SUVs was finger lickin good pricing. This would atleast have attracted customers put off by the bare bones Brio, old Amaze, BR-V and the ordinary new Jazz/WR-V.

Why would any customer with premium car aspirations even visit a showroom full of outdated and overpriced models ?

The new City by all accounts appears to be a better made automobile and nearer the Civic in ability and closer to Honda's quality roots.

But to me, as a long time Honda loyalist, the new City is quite boring. Would rather go for Creta/Seltos in same bracket.

The new City needed to be priced attractively and specced well in all variants - especially the base models to attract Amaze top end variant buyers and top end variants to take customers away from Elantra/Octavia in addition to retaining Honda customers.

Keeping the old model on sale, will further confuse a buyer and I am quite sure that this mistake will be rectified by 2021 but by then the damage will be complete.

Skoda is rapidly taking the spot Honda once had in the premium automotive segment (25L-40L OTR) and Kia/Hyundai will crush Honda in the lucrative (14L-22L) mid range market.

The King is Dead ! Long Live the King !
Redline6800 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 09:52   #409
BHPian

As a 2004 Honda City owner I am utterly confused by this decision to sell two different models of the City together. As rightly pointed out by other esteemed members, the City is overpriced for what it offers and needs a price correction ASAP.

Honda India's strategy of a "price creep" seems to be inspired from the likes of Hyundai Creta. Even the Creta is overpriced for what it offers. However, the SUVs are a rage these days and Honda can get back some lost ground (to Ciaz and Verna) by keeping the price attractive. 18L OTR for a City is not acceptable. I am hoping that the top petrol variant does not exceed 14L-15L OTR (Delhi).
Old 14th June 2020, 11:24   #410

This is an interesting move from Honda, and I would wait for time to be the judge about the righteousness of the decision. I wonder how Honda plans on managing the production aspect of City. Given the relatively high rumored price (for a C segment sedan) of 18L OTR, I wonder if Honda is going to follow the CKD route. This does make sense to me since the sales of C segment sedans have been gobbled up by compact SUV's and crossovers, and it may not be economically viable to dedicate a production line to an already slow moving product, and whose sales are possibly going to further take a beating owing to various reasons, at the same time utilizing the capacity of manufacturing facilities elsewhere, where the newer generation of City is already in the market (Thailand).

However, if they do choose to manufacture the vehicle in India itself, it will be interesting to know if they will be manufacturing both the generations at the same location or at different locations.

Also, did Honda not sell a pre-facelift and a facelifted version of 4th generation City (sometime between 2006 and 2008 if I am not mistaken) at the same time, with the facelifted version named as the City ZX (ZX being the variant)? Please feel free to correct me here as I doubt the authenticity of this information.
dennischoksi999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:14   #411
BHPian

The top-end Honda City ZX CVT already costs Rs 17.84L OTR in Bangalore.
The price break-up is as follows

ZX CVT (metallic paint) ex-showroom - Rs 14.48L
TDS - Rs 14,480
Insurance (1 year comprehensive + 3 years 3rd party) - Rs43,421
RC & RTO Charges - 275,650

I think discounts up to Rs1L are available - depending on the variant.

Honda India's penchant for profits over brand value mean that it is very very unlikely that the 5th gen City in its top end variant, will be less than Rs 14L ex-showrom when it goes on sale.

In comparison, compared to 4th gen City ZX CVT, the far superior Honda Civic in its well specced Petrol VX CVT and ZX CVT models has ex-showroom prices of Rs 19.5L and Rs 21.3L, which translate into BLR OTR prices of Rs 24.25L and Rs 26.67L respectively.

Considering Honda's dramatic decline in brand prestige and quality, the current 4th gen City ZX CVT on sale should have been at Rs 16.5L OTR in BLR and the Civic ZX CVT should have been been 1.5 to 2 lakhs cheaper (across variants) right from day 1.

The base Honda City SV MT variant is now Rs 11.95L OTR BLR.

The best value variants of the City - V MT and V CVT, today cost Rs 13L and 15L respectively

To give you an indication of how much prices have risen , my friend took delivery of his City V CVT in BLR in Dec 2017, for Rs 13.8L after discounts.

I would wait for the new City to sink in the market and look to pick up a new one, 1 or 2 years down the line with discounts of atleast Rs 50,000.

Honda City pricelist.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-honda-city-2019-pricelist-copy-2.jpg  

Last edited by Redline6800 : 15th June 2020 at 10:15.
Redline6800 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:34   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
The top-end Honda City ZX CVT already costs Rs 17.84L OTR in Bangalore.
The price break-up is as follows

ZX CVT (metallic paint) ex-showroom - Rs 14.48L
TDS - Rs 14,480
Insurance (1 year comprehensive + 3 years 3rd party) - Rs43,421
RC & RTO Charges - 275,650
I see quiet a few people pointing out that the City already costs ~INR 18L on road in states like Karnataka, MH etc. Just to clarify, I mentioned the current price in Kolkata, which is ~INR 16L for the ZX CVT variant. Following is the price break up from cardekho:

Ex-Showroom Price : ₹ 14,51,000
RTO : ₹ 81,690
Insurance : ₹ 46,742
Tax Collected at Source (TCS) : ₹ 14,510
Fast Tag : ₹ 636
On Road Price in Kolkata : ₹ 15,94,578

We are blessed to still have the Road tax capped at ~6% and the INR 2L price difference is specific to this particular component.

To add to that, we have a lot of discounts on top of the 16L price as well and one can expect to have the on-road price to as low as 14.5 to 15L for the top end ZX CVT.

So technically, if the price rises from 16L to 18L in Kolkata, expect a 2-2.5L price hike in cities like Bengaloru, Mumbai etc. which takes it to INR 20L on road

Last edited by aenkay91 : 16th June 2020 at 12:42. Reason: Grammatical error correction
aenkay91 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 15:55   #413
Senior - BHPian

India-spec 5th-gen Honda City specs and features

Honda has released the official details of the India-spec fifth-generation City including the specifications and list of features available.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2019_honda_city_sv.jpg

The fifth-generation Honda City measures 4,549 mm in length, 1,748 mm in width, 1,489 mm in height and it has a wheelbase of 2,600 mm.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-all-new-honda-city-2.jpg

The car has a new platform which uses ultra high strength steel that is claimed to increase rigidity and reduce weight. The car is also said to have a new suspension setup that is claimed to have reduced friction and improved front torsional rigidity. Spray foam Sound insulation of variable thickness has been used to reduce NVH. The City has a 5-star ASEAN NCAP crash safety rating.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-all-new-honda-city-1.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-all-new-honda-city-3.jpg

The new City will be offered with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 119 BHP @ 6,600 rpm and 145 Nm @ 4,300 rpm. This engine will be offered with either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed CVT. The engine delivers an ARAI certified fuel economy of 17.8 km/l (MT) and 18.4 km/l (CVT). The car will also come with a BS6-compliant 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit producing 98 BHP @ 3,600 rpm and 200 Nm @ 1,750 rpm. The diesel engine will be paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox. The diesel engine has an ARAI certified fuel economy of 24.1 km/l.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-all-new-honda-city-4.jpg

The new City comes with LED headlamps, LED daytime running lights and L-shaped LED turn signals. At the rear, it gets Z-shaped LED tail lamps that have LED side marker lights. The car rides on 16-inch diamond cut alloy wheels.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-all-new-honda-city-5.jpg

On the inside, the new City is equipped with features such as an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity, 7-inch digital instrument cluster, electric sunroof, automatic headlights, steering mounted paddle shifters for CVT, rear sunshade and ambient lighting. The car also gets an engine start / stop button, keyless entry, keyless boot release and remote engine start.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-all-new-honda-city-6.jpg

The new City also comes with safety features such as 6 airbags, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Agile Handling Assist (AHA), Hill Start Assist, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), Honda LaneWatch Camera, ABS with EBD and Brake Assist, ISOFIX child safety seat anchor points and rear view camera.

The fifth-generation City gets the next generation Honda Connect with Telematics Control Unit with 32 connected features. It has Alexa remote capability, which Honda claims, enables customers to interact with the vehicle from their homes. The system provides information related to the vehicle position and door lock status. It has other functions like Auto Crash Notification and emergency assistance, stolen vehicle tracking, security alert and geo-fence alert.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 17th June 2020 at 17:00.
TusharK is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:10   #414
Team-BHP Support

Re: India-spec 5th-gen Honda City specs and features

Features list revealed seems similar to the outgoing top-end version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The fifth-generation Honda City measures 4,549 mm in length, 1,748 mm in width, 1,489 mm in height and it has a wheelbase of 2,600 mm.
That's different compared to the Thai version. Length is shortened by a negligible 4mm, width is the same, height is up by 22 mm, and most importantly - wheelbase is up by 11 mm to 2600mm.

So I guess the ground clearance should be up by 22mm to 157mm, and the 11mm extra goes towards rear legroom.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:15   #415

I just don't see what Honda's gameplan here is. The engine, for all it's glory...is over a decade old now, and has itself clearly beat when it comes to refinement compared to Hyundai's and even VW/Skoda. Honda will probably price this very ambitiously as well, and for 17-18 lakh on road for the top-end variants, there just isn't much incentive to get this in an already dying segment. The Seltos and new Creta make much better value propositions. Honda is also going to keep selling the current City alongside this new one, which is still a decent car in it's own regard, and arguably better value for 4-5 lakh less.
sebastian5ettel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:24   #416
Senior - BHPian

I looked at the side view of the car in the Honda India website. To me it appears that the car has more (excessive) front overhang. It makes it look a bit like the Corolla Altis. The TFT instrumentation cluster looks interesting, with the party trick being the G-force meter. The instrumentation was overdue for an update.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:34   #417
BHPian

Perfect copy paste job (features) from the outgoing city. They are considering features as a wine since it improves with age.

Dear Honda, why even bother to launch the new design, just launch the older City with some sticker job & present it as a new gen City.
karan0009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:58   #418
BHPian

Looks more premium than the BS4 City but its the same features & engine. Nothing to be excited about. Honda has to realize that the competition is outpacing them quickly and they should price the City competitively to gain some market share (At least on par with Verna). Premium pricing is not going to work for them anymore.

An easy option for them was to lift the design of the previous Gen Civic and use that in the City. At least that could have lured some buyers in the way it looked.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:10   #419
BHPian

Wow really? I mean we dont even get the international base standard engine which is the 1.0L turbo, nevermind the non VTEC 1.5L turbo in the US Civic . This decade old 1.5 NA with 119 BHP/145 NM in 2020 just means that they think were suckers enough to buy this pile of junk at this day and age!
TDCi'd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:28   #420
BHPian

I don't see diesel auto as an option in the description available now. So the auto option is still petrol only.
Wonder why. Amaze has a diesel option and is very well mated to the cvt gearbox.
busydrive is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed