Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 13:37   #451
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Looking at the pictures my observation for the side profile is that both front and rear overhangs are really long which makes it look a little disproportional. There are too many character lines on the rear bumper. May look good in person but not so in the pictures. Also, a common problem of the last gen City was its stiff ride. Hope Honda will address that to make it properly luxurious as they aim to go up the ladder with this next gen City. Last but not the least was questionable built quality of current gen car. Be it metal thickness or uneven panel gaps. Honda should match the build quality of this gen with atleast that of current Civic to command a premium.
Old 18th June 2020, 13:45   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Also, a common problem of the last gen City was its stiff ride. Hope Honda will address that to make it properly luxurious as they aim to go up the ladder with this next gen City.
Considering the same wheelbase as the 4th generation and low ground clearance, I have a feeling the ride will continue to be on the stiffer side - otherwise the underbelly will scrape on every unscientific speed breaker, like was the case with the 3rd gen City and the 8th gen Civic.
nikipedia87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 13:54   #453
Senior - BHPian

This city looks really good and it is a size bigger than the competition. Interior is very good and looks well put together. It has more Civic character than City and can command a premium over Verna for sure.
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 13:58   #454
BHPian

The sales of all the C Segment sedans have been adversely affected due to the increasing popularity of the SUVs which are similarly priced.I hardly get to notice a newly registered Sedan now a days.But City has an exception when it comes to popularity as the sales figures are still in good numbers as opposed to its closest rivals like Verna and Ciaz.The legacy it has been enjoying since more than 20 years contributes to it's increasing popularity and most importantly,that IVTEC engine is always an addiction to all petrol heads.
Old 18th June 2020, 14:31   #455
BHPian

Now that the details are out, what separates the new City over the new Verna, price aside?

Verna over City

1. DCT over CVT (in the T-GDI variant)
2. Cooled seats
3. Parking sensors
4. Rear disc brakes
5. Wireless charger

City over Verna

1. 4 cylinder NA vs 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine
2. Lane watch cameras
3. Superior brand (resale) value and reliability?
4. Rain sensing wipers
5. LED fog lamps
Old 18th June 2020, 16:58   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post

City over Verna

1. 4 cylinder NA vs 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine
2. Lane watch cameras
3. Superior brand (resale) value and reliability?
4. Rain sensing wipers
5. LED fog lamps
Not to forget the G force meter .

I think the new Honda City fills a neat void. Am more of a sedan person than a SUV guy and this more or less fits the bill (depending on pricing of course). Classy and premium looking with enough space and safety to work as a family car. Good engine and hopefully good driving dynamics for those of us who like to drive rather than be chaffeured. Latest features to keep up with the times. The Honda brand. Now it all depends on the pricing. <fingers crossed>.
Old 18th June 2020, 19:15   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
City over Verna
6. All new product(not facelift).
7. More space.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 19:22   #458
pms
BHPian

Myself being a Honda City owner for the last 8 years, I can still vouch for the i-vtec engine, space, no fuss ownership and the premium brand perception it carries in India. But in the current competitive market Honda is not bringing in products that stand out plus you get mid size SUVs at the same price point with same or better features, space and above all good ground clearance in our broken city roads. Would be very difficult for someone to overlook Creta or Seltos to opt for a sedan.
pms is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 19:37   #459
BANNED

I have a 2011 City V which has done about 75000kms. If Honda can offer reliability and trouble free experience as it used to earlier I am sure people will buy the new city. We already have thread on competition reliability issues so if Honda can offer trouble free ownership from day one it will sell.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 19:37   #460
AYP
Senior - BHPian

It looks like I am in the minority here, but from the pics, I am unable to see any luxury quotient in the City. The interiors of the Verna and the Vento look more luxurious to me than the new City, which looks quote mundane to be honest. The steering, the central console(including the infotainment system) and even the much discussed digital display looks quote plain Jane. I would prefer this interior to that of the Ciaz and the Yaris.

The previous gen city always had the 1.5 iVTEC as its trump card. With the introduction of the 1.0 turbo engines in the Vento, Rapid and the Verna, the comparison of the petrol powered sedans will be interesting. Not to forget the expected price overlap of the City with the much more powerful 1.4 Turbo engines of Creta and the Seltos.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 19:48   #461
BANNED

Honda will most likely price it to the north of 10L. They know the Civic kind of pricing won't work anymore, and found a gap in the sedan market. Even then, they have played it cleverly to cash-in on the popularity of "City" brand name, and make the existing City owners who want to upgrade to remain within the brand.

I feel that with this upgrade, the Ciaz and even the recently launched Verna feels outdated and out-classed.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 20:02   #462
BHPian

Based on what majority of us fell, this is clearly a major upgrade over the 4th Gen City, not revolutionary, but an upgrade nonetheless.

The City seems to be made better in all aspects; interiors, exteriors, size and even engine (albeit marginal).

Since Honda plans on selling both 4th Gen and 5th Gen City together, does this mean an unintentional creation of a new category between C2 and D1? Maybe C3. xD

I also wonder if they should retain the City tag on 4th Gen and call this the City Pro (Apple reference) or something. xD

Last edited by bansal.sushant : 18th June 2020 at 20:03. Reason: Correcting typos
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 22:14   #463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Honda won't/can't price the new City within 17L OTR(Blr) for the top end AT petrol.
The new City was launched slightly cheaper than the outgoing version in Thailand, with the 1.0 Turbo engine. The turbo is more expensive to make, but is nullified by the reduced tax slab there.

We're not getting the Turbo, nor any major additional features over the old City. So net-net, more of a question of won't - than can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Boyy View Post
I hardly get to notice a newly registered Sedan now a days.But City has an exception when it comes to popularity as the sales figures are still in good numbers as opposed to its closest rivals like Verna and Ciaz.
That's not right buddy. The sales figures for FY2020 were as follows:

Maruti Suzuki Ciaz - 25,258 units.
Honda City - 20,912 units.
Hyundai Verna - 20,894 units.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th June 2020 at 22:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 22:37   #464
Senior - BHPian

I like it. The logical choice for the old eight gen Civic owner who will not miss the space and size of his outgoing car. Yes the engine will be smaller but it will probably be as fast as the old eight gen considering the lighter weight and the manual tranny plus it will be more fuel efficient too.

I would say this car will simply eat into the Civic's sales. The ones who wanted a MT Honda will simply go for the City. Honda here is probably opening the Civic's coffin once again if they do not do justice to the Civic by pricing it right and bringing it the MT gear box.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 00:42   #465
Senior - BHPian

Just an incremental update like the Maruti Ertiga. Disappointing as one would expect a company like Honda to raise the benchmark and not sit on their laurels.

For the price Honda is expected to charge, I wish they offered:
  • Hybrid version; They sell the same in China and a few other countries
  • Six airbags in most mid variants
  • Ventilated seats
  • 4 disc brakes

Budget conscious buyers will opt for the Ciaz. People who have the dough will probably spend on a Creta/Seltos. A City hybrid would have swayed many people.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks