1,748 mm in width
Civic width = 1750

Quote:
1,489 mm in height
Civic height = 1450

Quote:
it has a wheelbase of 2,600 mm.
Civic wheelbase = 2700.

Eerily similar stats! Am sure the premium positioning is going to be more than similar
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:41   #422
BHPian

Re: India-spec 5th-gen Honda City specs and features

Don't understand the use of increasing the length by 11cm without any increase in wheelbase. They may be making it more premium by extending the front and rear overhangs .
There was a news about the engine becoming DOHC and an increase in power. Seems that was not true.

The claim about high strength steel and increased strength but lower weight was there when previous generation city launched. So are they increasing the percentage with every iteration or a copy paste job in the press release

Last edited by NICHE : 17th June 2020 at 18:44. Reason: Added one sentence
Old 17th June 2020, 18:49   #423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Don't understand the use of increasing the length by 11cm without any increase in wheelbase.
It is the wheelbase that seems to have gone up by 11mm. Thai version has 2589mm compared to 2600mm mentioned above for the Indian version.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:55   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It is the wheelbase that seems to have gone up by 11mm. Thai version has 2589mm compared to 2600mm mentioned above for the Indian version.
I was comparing with 4th gen city. It had same wheelbase but 109mm shorter
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:11   #425
Senior - BHPian

Disappointed. I was considering exchanging my current City with New City in diesel Automatic but they haven't even launched that option. Diesel automatics have few options and this could have been a blockbuster. Sadly, Honda India still doesn't understand what customers want in their new car. Hopefully something else launches by year end. I hope their premium pricing is a failure and they get a jolt.

If someone wants diesel manual then a Creta/Seltos base model makes more sense.

Last edited by harry10 : 17th June 2020 at 19:13.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:16   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian5ettel View Post
The engine, for all it's glory...is over a decade old now
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Looks more premium than the BS4 City but its the same features & engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post
This decade old 1.5 NA with 119 BHP/145 NM in 2020
Like I had mentioned in the other 2020 Honda City thread, this is not the older "L15A" SOHC i-VTEC, but the newer Earth Dreams, DOHC "L15B" version with Variable Valve Timing Control.

Quote:
You can say that the "L15B" i-VTEC is a refreshed, updated "Earth Dreams" DOHC version of the stale "L15A" SOHC i-VTEC, with lighter crankshafts, all-new pistons, slightly bigger intake valves (~1mm each) and oil jets. The exhaust valves also saw a decrease from 38mm to 25mm. As a result, the compression ratio sees an increase to 11.5, from 10.8 in the older L15A.

Throttle response at low speeds would be better and crisp, as will be in-gear acceleration. It should make the i-VTEC a tad more responsive across RPMs in all gears.
----------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
There was a news about the engine becoming DOHC and an increase in power. Seems that was not true.
It is.

The power output has increased by 2PS (1.3kW). The torque, although the same, now kicks in from a lower RPM - 4300 (as opposed to 4600RPM earlier).

FE figures have also seen a slight boost of 0.4 kmpl over the earlier i-VTEC's figures, both for MT & CVT.

FE for the diesel has gone down significantly though - a full 1 kmpl less than the outgoing BS4 1.5L i-DTEC.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-1.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-3.jpg

Official Press Release

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th June 2020 at 19:17.
RavenAvi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:41   #427
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't look as ill proportioned as the Thai model. Change in ride height or is this a different chassis altogether? Wheels look less bland for a change.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:20   #428
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
The exteriors of All-New 5th Generation Honda City are smartly styled with dignified stature and superior technological prowess. The interiors are based on Honda's 'Man Maximum, Machine Minimum' philosophy, achieving clear vision while driving, along with a balance of openness and secure feeling, are the guiding principles in creation of this luxurious space.
Quote:
India’s first connected car with Alexa Remote Capability, an Industry First. Connectivity takes a huge leap in the all-new 5th Generation Honda City. Explore the array of 32 ingenious features of the Next Gen Honda Connect.
Quote:
The all-new 5th Generation Honda City uses advanced high strength tensile steel in its body to absorb impact during collisions and provide better rigidity,for more stable driving. It has the world’s first i-SRS Airbag System with Quick Deployment Technology, as well as the 1st in segment LanewatchTM camera system which supplements side mirror and uses a screen inside the vehicle for the driver to keep aware of the surroundings without taking their eyes off the road.
Here are some of the features that the new City is getting.

9 LED array headlamps with DRLs
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-exterior1n.jpg

Z shaped wrap-around rear lights with side marker lamps
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-exterior2.jpg

Leather interiors with 3 point seatbelts for all 5 passengers
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-exterior3n.jpg

20.3 cm touch screen audio system
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-exterior4.jpg

One touch sunroof
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-feature1.jpg

17.7 cm full colour MID with G-meter
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-feature2177n.jpg

Connected car with Alexa remote capability
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-alexan.jpg

Honda connect with telematics control unit
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-feature3.jpg

Lane watch camera
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-saftey2.jpg

6 airbags
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-safetyn.jpg

VSA with agile handling assist
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-saftey5.jpg

TPMS
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-deflationmonitoringsystem_n.jpg

Hill start assist
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-saftey3.jpg

5 star safety rating of the international model in ASEAN NCAP
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-ncaprating_n.jpg

Source : Honda

Just by looking at these pictures, it is clear that the new City is a proper upgrade over the current gen and a certain premuim is justified IMO.

I have been told that there is going to be a very tangible difference in quality when compared to the current gen and other competitors. I really hope that this is true and we get back the famous 'Honda quality' which they lost over the years because they wanted to go mass market.

Last edited by OSH : 17th June 2020 at 20:49.
OSH is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:23   #429
Senior - BHPian

The 5th Gen City seems bigger and more premium in all fronts, well, except the engine. It may be an all new engine and all that, but there is no strong talking point and this does not look like its significantly different from the existing one in terms of power delivery or efficiency.

Also this new City is not up against the Ciaz or the Verna, rather its true competition would be the new Creta and the Seltos. So essentially this is the 16-20 lakhs segment with top of the line features. If someone wants only the back seat experience and doesnt really mind the low seating, then the City may still have an edge, but otherwise, the Seltos and the Creta have multiple variants and engine gear box combinations to keep the customer interested.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:31   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post
Wow really? I mean we dont even get the international base standard engine which is the 1.0L turbo, nevermind the non VTEC 1.5L turbo in the US Civic . This decade old 1.5 NA with 119 BHP/145 NM in 2020 just means that they think were suckers enough to buy this pile of junk at this day and age!
This "junk" is better than most turbo 1 litre, 1.2 litre 3 pots that are being sold, and can still hold its own in most of the practical driving cycles (urban/highway) of India up to 120 kph.
fhdowntheline is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:43   #431
BHPian

This car looks significantly refined and bigger than the current version. It's no wonder that they plan to sell the 4th & 5th generations together in India. Who knows maybe Honda will introduce revolutionary pricing for the 4th generation car to undercut or come close to Rapid Rider's pricing.
JojyKerala is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 21:00   #432
Senior - BHPian

I guess I got used to the looks and I'm beginning to appreciate the design more. Hope the quality levels are in line with their original standards and reputation.

The 1.5 petrol will still be the pick I believe. It finally gets a 6 speed manual gearbox. I hope the G-Force meter is a way of denoting that it's a good handler.

Would prefer this to the Seltos or Creta. Still don't understand the hype with hatchbacks on steroids.

Last edited by Turbohead : 17th June 2020 at 21:01.
Turbohead is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 21:08   #433
Senior - BHPian

Looks like feature wise it is competing on par with the Seltos HTX Plus. Guessing the pricing will be similar too.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 21:27   #434

The car looks good but I don't see any major differentiators in terms of features like the Verna. Honda's gonna price it north of 15.5L for the ZX petrol manual variant which is not at all value considering the Seltos and the Creta which score high in that department. At that kind of money, you can get a much powerful Nissan Kicks with the 1.3L Turbo engine.
TwinTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 21:38   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojyKerala View Post
This car looks significantly refined and bigger than the current version. It's no wonder that they plan to sell the 4th & 5th generations together in India. Who knows maybe Honda will introduce revolutionary pricing for the 4th generation car to undercut or come close to Rapid Rider's pricing.
I don't really think honda will sell the 4th generation at the price of the rapid because there was some news that the price is gonna be the same the only difference is gonna be the variants that is 4th generation honda city will only be available in the two base trims and the 5th generation will only be available in the top of the line variants
aansh singhania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks