Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 14:46   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The wheelbase is the same, so the extra size is only going into bigger bumpers and longer overhangs.
In Faisal Khan's review he claimed that there is 7 cm more room at the rear than before - not sure in what sense he meant that. So it looks like Honda has created more space than 4th Gen despite the identical wheelbase - but we need to wait for more on this topic to confirm the same.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 14:57   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
3. Performance: Autocar review says that in 3rd gear, the car pulls cleanly from 20kph all the way to 150kph, without any fuss, making it almost like an automatic. The earlier car was dull in lower rpms.
Would disagree with this. From my usage of the previous gen iVTEC (it has been a daily driver for the past year), I have always found the lower end driveability to be pretty good. Especially in third gear, where there is a clean pull right from 1200-1300 RPM till the redline of 7100 RPM. In fact, I find the 1.5 iVTEC to be very driveable and tractable in daily use conditions, with a good enough low end (till 1500 RPM), and very good mid and top end powerbands. Of course, if the new engine is even better in terms of tractability, nothing like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
I don’t like this new car as much as I did the older one. It feels like a boat, bulky and ungainly.
My sentiments are the same on the design of this new gen City. The earlier gen was just the right mix of sharp edges, straight and flowing lines. This one is a little ungainly in parts ,though overall pretty inoffensive looking.

PS: Enjoyed watching Faisal's review video and his comments on the engine. No matter what one may say about these small capacity 3 cylinder turbo petrols swarming the market, there is little to beat a powerful, creamy 4 cylinder naturally aspirated gasoline power plant like a Honda iVTEC revving away to glory.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 30th June 2020 at 15:06.
arindambasu13 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 15:06   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

There is no insulation in the wheel wells - which is clearly being mentioned and shown in a couple of reviews.
Oh, it looked like there was insulation in wheels wells to me. Will look again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Reviews show clear shots of the touchscreen and makes major complaints on the poor resolution (800*480) of the display.
With being slick, I meant the responsiveness of the screen has increased compared to the old digipad unit. Regarding camera quality, with u completely. Hope they had given a better quality camera. It is a bigger downer than the 480p resolution because it looks fine on 480p for an 8 inch screen, especially these days we got used to youtube maxed at 480p on our almost 7 inch smartphones because of lockdown. But at this price, a higher resolution camera as well as screen is expected.

Last edited by klgiridhar : 30th June 2020 at 15:26.
klgiridhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 15:17   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
In Faisal Khan's review he claimed that there is 7 cm more room at the rear than before - not sure in what sense he meant that.
Also mentioned by Rohan in PowerDrift review. Knee room at the back has gone up by 7 cm. He also said that headroom (front) has gone down by 6 cm as compared to the 4th gen City.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 15:22   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Would disagree with this. From my usage of the previous gen iVTEC (it has been a daily driver for the past year), I have always found the lower end driveability to be pretty good.
May be I have over exaggerated a bit there. With dull I meant to say it was a bit silent before the storm , but perfectly driveable nonetheless. It seems the new car is even better.

Quote:

The earlier gen was just the right mix of sharp edges, straight and flowing lines.
Even though I liked this new city's look, the 2017 facelift's was the best, with its LED head and tail lamps complementing it even more.

Quote:

PS: Enjoyed watching Faisal's review video and his comments on the engine. No matter what one may say about these small capacity 3 cylinder turbo petrols swarming the market, there is little to beat a powerful, creamy 4 cylinder naturally aspirated gasoline power plant like a Honda iVTEC revving away to glory.
Same here. I had a wide grin pasted on my face for that entire video. I have the same opinion as you regarding the 3 cylinder turbo petrols. Will choose a 4 cylinder VTEC anyday.
Old 30th June 2020, 15:52   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In Faisal Khan's review he claimed that there is 7 cm more room at the rear than before - not sure in what sense he meant that. So it looks like Honda has created more space than 4th Gen despite the identical wheelbase - but we need to wait for more on this topic to confirm the same.
Rear doors are the same as Gen4 from the inside. Shape and size of doors, windows and C pillar, the rear headroom and the way the roof swoops down all looks identical from the pics. Rear bench also seems to be carried over, apart from the new headrests. Will be really surprised if there actually is any extra room on offer.
Old 30th June 2020, 16:10   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Rear doors are the same as Gen4 from the inside. Shape and size of doors, windows and C pillar, the rear headroom and the way the roof swoops down all looks identical from the pics. Rear bench also seems to be carried over, apart from the new headrests. Will be really surprised if there actually is any extra room on offer.
As per one of the reviews - the 7mm extra room at the rear comes from thinner front seats, although Honda has tried not to let that affect the front seat comfort by providing thicker cushioning.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:27   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Contrary to most opinions above, I see this as a true Honda, compared with the last two generations that felt somewhat compromised and cut corners to suit emerging markets. This one has looks that could sell anywhere in the world, not just in emerging markets. The quirky elements of the previous generations are gone and this looks mature and grown up. The shift to DOHC technology from SOHC is a big deal for a conservative company like Honda, although this technology has been around for 25 years (In fact the first car I owned was a Toyota Camry DOHC V6 24 valve car in the US back in the late 90s.)

The Car has some party tricks to talk of, including the 9-element LED lights and that lovely digital instrument cluster. The knurled knobs look like they are straight from an Audi and the rear seat is clearly the most comfortable and roomy in the segment. There is hardly an element left out from the feature list either. To me, it looks like the City has to be compared with the cars one segment above like the Elantra, rather than with the likes of Verna and Ciaz.

The two things I just cannot digest - 185 section tires and a 40 litre fuel tank! That is compact hatchback territory, Honda

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 30th June 2020 at 16:32.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:48   #519
BHPian

As per the review by overdrive, it is very easy to scrape the chin. They show the comparison where the new city scrapes but the 4th gen does not
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 17:05   #520
Senior - BHPian

Honda's Perennial problem in India has always been the Pricing. Right from first gen Jazz to the latest Civic, Honda has always killed the product with its over-ambitious pricing!

The New Honda city although looks improved on various counts, will need to ensure it is priced in the territory of Rapid-Verna-Vento-Ciaz-Yaris (now Dead) than trying to take the game with Creta, Seltos at el .
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 18:31   #521
BHPian

Apart from the Engine and Gearbox, there's nothing to excite the keen driver.

This is what journo Sirish (Evo India) says:
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200630182240303.jpg  

sechebe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:43   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post
Apart from the Engine and Gearbox, there's nothing to excite the keen driver.
I would not be surprised if, like the previous generation, this City beats the other 'enthusiast cars' in the Autocar track test. Extract from the Autocar track day leaderboard 2019 attached for reference. The previous gen City is at #101. Look at the enthusiast cars below it (Abarths and GTs).

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-carsleaderboard2019__01.jpg

Autocar's comment on the Punto Abarth:
"Brilliant engine, but the suspension is too comfort oriented to be a real Abarth."

On the Polo GT TSi:
‘Pulls very strongly in a straight line, but should have had a sportier suspension setup.’

Link:

https://www.autocarindia.com/trackday2019/index.html

Last edited by vipul_singh : 30th June 2020 at 19:53.
vipul_singh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:48   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
The New Honda city although looks improved on various counts, will need to ensure it is priced in the territory of Rapid-Verna-Vento-Ciaz-Yaris (now Dead) than trying to take the game with Creta, Seltos at el .
Why? From the looks of it spec and feature wise the City seems on par with the Seltos HTX 1.5 Plus variant with more power, bigger boot and from what I saw a bit more legroom?

One of the reviewers said Honda are evaluating 1.0 turbo petrol from the RS for India. If that is true then this will be the time to buy a decent, powerful NA engine before the next emission regulations make all manufacturers move to 3 cyl turbos.

Quote:
So it looks like Honda has created more space than 4th Gen despite the identical wheelbase - but we need to wait for more on this topic to confirm the same.
Those extra cms come from the carved front seat backs and the rear bench positioned a bit back which I assume is why the boot space is slightly reduced.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th June 2020 at 19:56. Reason: Back to back posts.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:56   #524
BHPian

And here is the Autocar video review:

I can hear some more praises for the new city!

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st July 2020 at 06:18. Reason: Video link embedded
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 21:08   #525
Senior - BHPian

So Honda seem to have done most things right with this new City, it does look bigger and more premium. And it will appeal to a lot of urban buyers, who want to sit in the back seat and enjoy the ample leg space on offer, while also being seated more comfortably than some cross overs.

My guess is Honda would try and pitch this City as an alternative to Cross overs like the Seltos and the Creta. There is a fan following for sedans, and especially the City. So if someone does not want a cross over, and wants a supremely comfortable sedan then the City ticks all the boxes. The Ciaz is spacious, but it does feel like its built to a cost, whereas the Verna is very tight on space. The Vento and the Rapid are on their last 2-3 years, so no real competition here for the City. The D segment sedans like Elantra and the Civic are all well over 22-25 lakhs now, so if this City is priced between 14-20 lakhs on road, it may clock some decent numbers. But the fact remains that the segment itself has shrunk and people have moved on to cross overs and SUVs, so Honda will have to make to do with 2-4K units monthly once the market comes back to steady state.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks