Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2020, 12:56   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Diesel is DOA. No way it can justify the premium of 1,50,000( plus the extra interest on loan) over petrol models. Honda should have kept the difference within 80k-1 lac if they were serious about selling the diesel. Sadly, this also puts this car out of my contention as OTR for V diesel will be more than 14 lac which is overpriced for what Honda offers.
Most users who want diesel will now move to Creta and Seltos
harry10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 12:59   #737
BHPian

All the old comments w.r.t disproportionate overhangs, same old engine/alloys etc etc will go out of the window, now that the pricing seems to be as per expectations or even better. Interesting.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:01   #738
Senior - BHPian

With diesel matching petrol prices these days is it even worth buying a diesel City that too in manual form while the reviews are and have always been raving about the iVtec petrol?

I am glad I waited for the City pricing but boy is it going to be difficult to make up my mind when the festive offers kick in for the other cars in my shortlist which is anything but short now.

With the City not breaching 15 lakhs and the price gap of 4-5lakhs between it and the Civic I will say the rumors of HRV or whatever midsize SUV HCIL is readying seem to have conveniently found a price gap. Personally the watered down CRV they sell in China or wherever called the Breeze would be a start at 15 lakhs rx showroom.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 15th July 2020 at 13:05.
Nithesh_M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:02   #739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Now where does Honda put the old City? Will there be price correction or will Honda do a Skoda Rapid?
Looks like the dual generation strategy backfired (COVID and lockdown also to blame) and hence Honda went back to realistic pricing for the new generation.

4th generation will not move out of the showroom without discounts! 5th generation improves upon it even though it is an extensive facelift and not a revolutionary change.

Anyways - end result is good for the customers!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th July 2020 at 13:15. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:11   #740
Senior - BHPian

VX makes lesser sense of upgrade over V to me
It's either V or ZX for me.

@harry10 you were bang on with your price prediction.

Also, the Diesel City does not make any sense to me, especially when you have Verna Deisel in equation & NCR limitation of 10 years ownership of Diesel. Moreover, those willing to pay that much money will buy the quasi-SUVs.

Can someone compare the prices with competition vis-a-vis the features on offer.

The segment is warming up with Rapid Rider (& Rider Plus) at bottom & City/ Verna at top of price pyramid. Still fear growth will be limited & periodic/ cyclical.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 15th July 2020 at 13:14. Reason: Adding comments
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:13   #741
BHPian

With the base V variant coming with multiple airbags and ESP, traction control, this is really good. It might be more expensive than the base variants of its competitors, but thats some really good safety gear.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:25   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

@harry10 you were bang on with your price prediction.

Also, the Diesel City does not make any sense to me, especially when you have Verna Deisel in equation & NCR limitation of 10 years ownership of Diesel. Moreover, those willing to pay that much money will buy the
Yes, there is diesel S plus variant from Verna at around 12.2 OTR.
I could have looked at petrol but with a 80km+ running 6 days a week I need a diesel. Still have time till end of year to see what can we get in our budget.
Old 15th July 2020, 13:47   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I could have looked at petrol but with a 80km+ running 6 days a week I need a diesel. Still have time till end of year to see what can we get in our budget.
I think you are better off with Seltos/ Creta you could be easily clocking 1 lakh Kms in 5 years. IMO that could offer you better savings & resale as the second hand market these days favours SUVs.

Plus ground clearance is a temporary issue in Faridabad due to major roads being relaid.

Best of Luck for your impending change at year end/ new year.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th July 2020 at 20:17. Reason: Minor typo
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:58   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I think you are better off with Seltos/ Creta you could be easily clocking 1 lakh Kms in 5 years. IMO that could offer you better savings & resale as the second hand market these days favours SUVs.

Plus ground clearance bis a temporary issue in Faridabad due to major roads being relaid.
Being based in Faridabad and from a running cost prospective, Harry can also get a Nexon EV and be done with it. I agree with the assessment that the diesel City is dead. Simply too overpriced and not deserving the premium.

These are interesting times for buyers in the 12-18L segment with a wide range of new and ageing products and technologies to choose from.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 14:14   #745
BHPian

Happy with the pricing of the New City. I wouldn't call the pricing as excellent, but reasonable, considering the way this company usually prices it's cars.

There are people (me included), who prefer simple, robust and proven mechanicals (read: adequate displacement, naturally aspirated, port fuel injection, Torque Converter/CVT) for whom this car makes perfect sense. The 4th gen City also had these aspects covered, but the new-gen now has features that are par-for-the course, if not loaded, which definitely increases it's appeal.

I just hope this is the final price and not the introductory price.
ram.iyer95 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 14:16   #746
OSH
BHPian

The walkaround videos of different variants.

OSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 14:22   #747
BHPian

Good to see Honda is still capable of pulling up surprises. Good pricing, no way they could’ve breached the 15 Lakhs barrier given the current situation.

Suddenly the City looks more appealing now!
Old 15th July 2020, 14:31   #748
BHPian

Great that Honda decided to retain the outgoing model pricing (well, almost).

What is actually commendable is that the V model covers all the basics and is actually a good buy. Good to see no glaring attempts to push the basic buyer to move one variant up in the line-up for that 'small and useful' feature. All basics and bit more are well covered by V trim. Yes, I am a fan of simple base/mid/top variant split.

I am in the lookout for a new car. I did face issues with the ground clearance in my friend's 2012 city. Also, the entry/exit for my in-law’s house has a steep 'brick' road leading to the plastered cut road. I have scrapped a Jazz multiple times when I entered or exited the plastered road. I will have to skip the City by the looks of it. At 15L odd on-road for the V-CVT, it would have fit in perfectly for me otherwise.

One glaring omission I see is non-adjustable rear head-rests. Even the top end variant misses out on this simple feature which 'used' to be present in entry level models like Wagon R a decade or more ago. Is it such a premium feature nowadays? I can see that the Civic gets it.

What is Honda's logic of skipping it in the City? Is it not safer and more comfortable to have adjustable head-rests in the rear? I do not expect it to be costly either.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 14:50   #749
BHPian

Honda has silently deleted rain-sensing wipers in the new generation city. Also the rear number plate lights are halogen as compared to LED's in the previous generation.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot-20200715-2.47.03-pm.png  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot-20200715-2.49.05-pm.png  

sv97 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 15:04   #750
BHPian

The marginal increase in pricing for the 5th generation over 4th gen seems to be okay to me. I wonder why anyone would buy 4th generation over 5th gen in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
I am in the lookout for a new car. I did face issues with the ground clearance in my friend's 2012 city. Also, the entry/exit for my in-law’s house has a steep 'brick' road leading to the plastered cut road. I have scrapped a Jazz multiple times when I entered or exited the plastered road. I will have to skip the City by the looks of it. At 15L odd on-road for the V-CVT, it would have fit in perfectly for me otherwise.
4th Generation fixed the ground clearance issue. Please go through 4th generation official review thread. There are positive feedback from the owners on this issue. However, I am unsure if this will be the problem in 5th generation model though. If that is the only issue you have with 5th gen, then I would suggest you to do TD and take it to your in-laws place to see if it scrapes.
daredevil is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed