Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2020, 15:08   #751
Team-BHP Support

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

This is a substantial upgrade to the City in terms of styling, interiors, features, engine and pushes the City half a notch higher and closer to the Civic than ever. The pleasant surprise is Honda has priced it well and it doesn't seem over priced as before. The Yaris now holds the crown when it comes to price.

I was just thinking what would happen if Skoda, Hyundai, Honda a Toyota sales guys met up over coffee

Skoda- We got a new 1.0L turbo petrol engine in the Rapid with more power, better efficiency, new 6 speed gearbox and more features. We reduced the prices as well. New variant at 7.49L with nice features!

Hyundai - We did a facelift to the Verna, got a new CVT, improved efficiency, added features like connected car tech. We also got a new 1.0L turbo petrol engine with a 7 speed DSG. We increased the prices marginally for all these upgrades.

Honda - We did a major design upgrade inside and outside. IT's a new generation almost even though the underpinnings are common. The engine has been updated with more power and better efficiency thanks to a new head, added a new 6 speed manual box, improved safety, more space and a lot more features. We kept prices almost same as older car even after all this.

Toyota - Hold my coffee mug. We didn't do any design update. We just changed the front arm rest design, removed few features, removed 5 airbags from the car, reduced power marginally, reduced ARAI efficiency marginally. And we increased prices across the board. We are the most reliable and if anyone who buys our car even after all this will get highest resale since we are Toyota.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th July 2020 at 22:18.
Vid6639 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 15:16   #752
OSH
BHPian

The variant wise features distribution
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20200715.1.png

Official accessories
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20200715.2.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20200715.3.png

Honda City 2020 Brochure.pdf

Last edited by OSH : 15th July 2020 at 15:19.
OSH is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 15:30   #753
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pricing and it is pretty obvious that Honda thought better of their dual generation strategy. Whether the current generation gets reintroduced at a lower price point remains to be seen. However I doubt that as such a move will erode the value of the current generation.

What the current pricing has done though is add so much value to the premium pricing without so much value that the previous generation had. Now the features justify the price asked for and rightly so. They have built on the strengths of the previous model for a slight increase in pricing. Attaboy Honda!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 15:45   #754
BHPian

Is the tyre size on the V variant still 175/65/R15?
Old 15th July 2020, 15:47   #755
BHPian

As a Honda fan it is such a relief to see this company wakeup and price the new 5th gen City competitively!

Much needed to redeem Honda's market prestige in India.

Honda was offering discounts of 1.2L on their stocks of VX models of the 4th gen City to clear them out but I feel the new car is far superior and better value.

Always love nice brochures and the new City brochure rocks.

As a pre-worshipped Jetta owner, I daresay, the 5th Gen City could emerge as competent a sedan as the Jetta was.

Tyre pressure monitoring and hill start assist even on the V variant, which appears loaded as well. The Hill Start assist is a great feature and after experiencing it on Jetta, am glad Honda is offering it right from the V variant onwards.
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-1.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-3.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-4.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-5.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-6.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-7.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-8.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-9.png

While the chrome package is yucky, the front parking sensors and side airbag compatible seat covers, are great options for V/VX

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-10.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-11.png

Colours on offer a bit staid though.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-12.png

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-13.png
Redline6800 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 16:33   #756
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Honda for upping the ante on safety, with at least 4 airbags on all versions and ESC as standard. I hope this will pave the way for OEMS to implementing all round airbags and ESC as a standard, no-questions-asked equipment, just as ABS+EBD is as of current.
It is also interesting that the City has acquired a bit of heft- it weighs between 1107kg-1153 kg in the petrol models, where the highest weight in the previous gen was 1107 kgs. (all kerb weights). I guess it is because of the slight increase in dimensions and some additional equipment as standard. But its a bit of welcome sign that there may not be a structural compromise, compared to some other cars where sizes increase and weights shrink disproportionately.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 15th July 2020 at 16:46.
Old 15th July 2020, 16:39   #757
BHPian

Sad to see that Honda has not come up with any new colour options for the city. All the options are almost the same as the 4th gen City. Was hoping for the revival of the black colour atleast, but Honda seems to be against it.
Old 15th July 2020, 16:41   #758
BHPian

This is exceptional from Honda. I just had a few WhatsApp conversations with my SA at the local Honda dealership. They are excited about this. The price is something that will pull a lot of crowd, and they are expecting the crowd in the showroom to opt for the new generation because the price difference between the variants is not much. The added features, novelty make up for lot of value. They don't have any information if some features will be stripped from the older generation and price reductions will be done on them.
Old 15th July 2020, 16:42   #759
BHPian

In BLR the old 4th gen City prices were:

V MT Pearl - 10.50 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 13 L
V MT Metallic - 10.56 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 13.08 L

5th gen City V MT - 10.9 ex-showroom - OTR (approx) = Rs 13.42 L

So the V MT is just approx Rs 40,000 more than the older model.

VX MT Pearl - 11.93 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 14.74 L
VX MT Metallic - 11.99 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 14.81 L

5th gen City VX MT - 12.26 ex-showroom - OTR (approx) = Rs 15.13 L

So the VX MT is just approx Rs 29,000 more than the older model !

ZX MT Pearl - 13.12 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 16.19 L
ZX MT Metallic - 13.18 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 16.26 L

5th gen City ZX MT - 13.15 ex-showroom - OTR (approx) = Rs 16.2 L

So the ZX MT is just about Rs 3,000 more than the older model !

It is very likely that by the end of the year, once could expect approx Rs 35-50,000 in discounts.

V CVT Pearl - 12.06 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 14.9 L
V CVT Metallic - 12.12 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 14.97 L

5th gen City V CVT - 12.20 ex-showroom - OTR (approx) = Rs 15.02

VX CVT Pearl - 13.23 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 16.32 L
VX CVT Metallic - 13.29 ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 16.4 L

5th gen City VX CVT - 13.56 ex-showroom - OTR (approx) = Rs 16.85L

ZX CVT Pearl - 14.42 L ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 17.77 L
ZX CVT Metallic - 14.48 L ex-showroom - OTR = Rs 17.84 L

5th gen City ZX CVT - 14.45 L ex-showroom - OTR (approx) = Rs 17.78 L

So the ZX CVT is just about Rs 3,000 more than the older model !
Redline6800 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 16:43   #760
Senior - BHPian

I'm eagerly waiting for the official review here. If the handling isn't bad, this seems to be a good upgrade for existing owners of C segment sedans. But only if the handling isn't bad.

I love how the car has become less flashy overall. Will really work for people like me who don't want to be 'seen'!

The pricing is reasonably
Old 15th July 2020, 17:10   #761
Senior - BHPian

Wow!

That base variant absolutely loaded! It has actually made a base variant desirable after a long time.

Although the VX is well worth the premium and is all one needs. Features that are on the VX

1. 6 Airbags
2. Sunroof.
3. Auto dimming mirrors.
4. 8 Speaker sound system
5. 17 inch infotainment
6. Trick Driver MID.
7. Diamond-cut alloys.

It is well worth the Rs 1.4 lakh premium.

Happy to see Honda being aggressive with the City. With Skoda enticing people with the Rider variants, hopefully this will make people reconsider sedans as a vehicle instead of pay lakhs more to buy a Crossover SUV.
avishar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 17:43   #762
Senior - BHPian

Good sense seemed to have prevailed over Honda this time around to price their cars well. City is now priced to move. Teambhp should do a comparo between City CVT vis-a-vis Creta/Seltos CVT. Both may belong to different segments but both share 1.5 NA petrol and CVT and I'm sure almost same weight.

Diesel variant may be a bit high-priced. But then, Honda is king of VTECH petrol motors, not diesels. Also, now more and more are preferring petrols over diesels in hatchback/sedan segments. Diesel is being preferred in 2 tonne plus SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Toyota - Hold my coffee mug. We didn't do any design update. We just changed the front arm rest design, removed few features, removed 5 airbags from the car, reduced power marginally, reduced ARAI efficiency marginally. And we increased prices across the board. We are the most reliable and if anyone who buys our car even after all this will get highest resale since we are Toyota.
Toyota is probably trying to turn Yaris into a Veblen goods. It worked for Innova / Fortuners, so they thought let's raise prices and see if more people come buy.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 18:22   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Being based in Faridabad and from a running cost prospective, Harry can also get a Nexon EV and be done with it. I agree with the assessment that the diesel City is dead. Simply too overpriced and not deserving the premium.

These are interesting times for buyers in the 12-18L segment with a wide range of new and ageing products and technologies to choose from.

I actually gave Nexon Ev serious thought when it was launched. However, few points are against it.

1. As a primary car I will do outstation trips. Even a one side trip to Punjab needs 400-500km on a stretch and EV is a big hassle for that.

2. It has 350 litre boot space. I need 400+ for my work related requirements. That's why my current 4th gen city with 510 litre is fantastic for me.

3. It's a Tata. Already have Tiago as secondary car which till now has been hassle free. However, wife doesn't want both cars from Tata. Quite an irony as she is working with Tata Motors and we can get a fantastic deal on any Tata car

4. Price. Considering Covid uncertainties and being a father of a 6 month old my life priorities have shifted a bit. Will prefer to keep the OTR at max 12. Lesser the better.

Having said that I still have kept Nexon AMT as an option. Personally I really like Nexon.

I hope Creta E variant stays at the same price point by year end. That suits my requirements considering City is now out of contention.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 18:22   #764
BHPian

I Wish they price the upcoming jazz also in line with the city and kickoff a good fight in the hatchback segment
Old 15th July 2020, 18:29   #765
BHPian

WOW! This is unbelievably fantastic pricing from HONDA. That's a brilliantly loaded V variant for the price, absolute VFM. Did they mention anywhere this as Introductory Prices ? They could even pull out a cheaper variant below the V later, if required!

Most Viewed