Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 23:47   #1081
OSH
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhams View Post
Well, improving ride quality with upgrade tyre, probably would not be reason of disturbing any aerodynamics or basic design criteria set by Honda Engineer ?
Reading the above lines, I remembered what the owner's manual of the 2nd gen City ZX (2007) had to say about this.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20201011_232137.jpg
OSH is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 07:02   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised to note that I've seen only 1 new City in BLR since launch. Is it selling or are there supply issues?

Seltos & new Creta are just taking over the market.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 07:05   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going to book ZX MT mentioning spec is 185/55 R16 X 6 J Alloy Diamond cut & Two tone wheels. Changing with 195/55 R16 wheel would not affect design criteria and stability ? Also, not sure taking extra warranty for 4th and 5th year worth to take or not as this city remain as single handed use.
Kindly check the owner's manual with the dealers help. A tyre upgrade size should be managed. Extended warranty should be bought and is recommended. Modern cars have too many complicated electronics stuff etc. Do find out what is covered in the warranty.
Old 12th October 2020, 09:07   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Surprised to note that I've seen only 1 new City in BLR since launch. Is it selling or are there supply issues?

Have only seen 1 in NCR too compared to the 5 Creta I see every day.
Old 12th October 2020, 11:53   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Reading the above lines, I remembered what the owner's manual of the 2nd gen City ZX (2007) had to say about this.

Attachment 2066510
This is general advisory. Upsizing tyres to an overall diameter close to the original value is never a problem. Any good tyre shop would advise you a safe upgrade size.
Old 12th October 2020, 12:51   #1086
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Have only seen 1 in NCR too compared to the 5 Creta I see every day.
Same for me in Kochi.

I have seen 2. One inside a showroom, one on the road. I see new Seltos, Creta and Nexons a lot. Seltos is the most common one.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 15:09   #1087
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
This is general advisory. Upsizing tyres to an overall diameter close to the original value is never a problem. Any good tyre shop would advise you a safe upgrade size.
General advisory or not, I doubt if a tyre shop will know more about a car than the people who actually made it. So, staying stock or getting an upgrade is solely at the owner's risk. After all its an advise of an individual vs that of a manufacturer who would have tested the car for lakhs of kms.

Last edited by OSH : 12th October 2020 at 15:11.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 22:07   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bro. for wishes. Please share more details if you have experience before and after tyre upgrade.
I have reverted you in PM. Putting few points here as well.
I have only 1 experience of upgrading the tire size. My father upgraded the tyres of our old M800(now sold) from cross-ply ones to the radials (145 section). No problems here.

In my Linea and old Indica(now sold), I have just changed the brand and retained the OEM spec.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 22:29   #1089
BHPian

Quote:

It's not that the Seltos and Creta are doing some magic, crossovers in general are having much more sales nowadays!

For e.g. The City is the best selling C-Segment sedan and still does only 2000 overage monthly. The S-Cross just for an example does an average 2500 post heart transplant and is not a 'successful' product, but still sells more than the bestselling C-Segment sedan!
That makes a difference!
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:17   #1090
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
I have reverted you in PM. Putting few points here as well.
I have only 1 experience of upgrading the tire size. My father upgraded the tyres of our old M800(now sold) from cross-ply ones to the radials (145 section). No problems here.

In my Linea and old Indica(now sold), I have just changed the brand and retained the OEM spec.
Thanks abhi_tjet for PM.

Quote:
General advisory or not, I doubt if a tyre shop will know more about a car than the people who actually made it. So, staying stock or getting an upgrade is solely at the owner's risk. After all its an advise of an individual vs that of a manufacturer who would have tested the car for lakhs of kms.
This is what boggling in my mind too and post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Yes, any fair knowledge tyre dealer can do this but this minor changes may lot change tyre statatics-both-hidden & written, I have a doubt here.

Quote:

Attachment 2066510
This hit the bell of mine. Thanks a lot. I decided initially to go with stock and spare some generous time.

Last edited by Dhams : 14th October 2020 at 13:20.
Dhams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:31   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

This is what boggling in my mind too and post here.

Yes, any fair knowledge tyre dealer can do this but this minor changes may lot change tyre statatics-both-hidden & written, I have a doubt here.
I think the manual clearly states not to change the over all diameter and the ride height of the wheels. There are ample options available with different tyre compounds and sizes that can satisfy the above criteria and still improve the characteristics of the car. And a decent tyre shop will help you in this.
Old 14th October 2020, 21:53   #1092
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I think the manual clearly states not to change the over all diameter and the ride height of the wheels. There are ample options available with different tyre compounds and sizes that can satisfy the above criteria and still improve the characteristics of the car.
While such workarounds may be possible for some cars, it won't work here atleast. Mentioned below is what comes with the OP's top variant. Attaching the brochure at the end for reference.

Stock rims : 16x6J; According to this site, 6J rims can accommodate (Min-Max) 175mm-205mm section tyres (Refer equivalency table, 6 inch rim width). So if an upgrade is needed from 185mm section, you are left with either 195mm or 205mm width.

Stock tyres : 185/55 R16; After using this tyre size calculator and playing around with the aspect ratios of 195mm and 205mm section tyres, I could not find any perfect diameter matching tyres.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf all-new-honda-city-brochure.pdf (4.36 MB, 261 views)

Last edited by OSH : 14th October 2020 at 21:56.
Old 14th October 2020, 22:06   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
While such workarounds may be possible for some cars, it won't work here atleast. Mentioned below is what comes with the OP's top variant. Attaching the brochure at the end for reference.

Stock rims : 16x6J; According to this site, 6J rims can accommodate (Min-Max) 175mm-205mm section tyres (Refer equivalency table, 6 inch rim width). So if an upgrade is needed from 185mm section, you are left with either 195mm or 205mm width.

Stock tyres : 185/55 R16; After using this tyre size calculator and playing around with the aspect ratios of 195mm and 205mm section tyres, I could not find any perfect diameter matching tyres.
From the below snapshot, i think 205/50 R16 is a good upgrade if handling is the priority. Couple it with a softer compound like Michelin PS4, it should improve the driving experience significantly.

P.S. Please don't say there is a 1 mm diameter difference. It's negligible even by OEM standards.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-tyresizecalculator01244459611tyresave.jpg  

drpudhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 22:42   #1094
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Please don't say there is a 1 mm diameter difference. It's negligible even by OEM standards.
I knew this was coming because even I had come across this size. This was the very reason I mentioned clearly in the last line 'perfect diameter matching tyres'.

Keeping that aside, 205 section tyres on a car meant for 185 section tyres will have their own set of worries. The biggest of them has to be the extra load it will exert on the EPS system everytime the steering is turned and we don't even know if the wheel wells will accommodate the broader tyres without rubbing somewhere under full load and full lock turns.

Ps. The diameter difference shows 2mm when checked here.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:47   #1095
BHPian

Is the Official Review of 5th Gen Honda City out yet? I haven't seen one except for GTO's initial drive impressions/observations on this thread. Thank you.
sam264_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks