Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 14:08   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Will be out most likely with bs6 engine so will also launch with a premium pricing factoring in the bs6 engine and extra dimensions. Wouldn't be surprised if the top end City gets into non base Civic territory
I don't think there will be a pricing overlap in the City and Civic. There is a big gap. Especially not due to BSVI. Remember, the Civic's pricing will also go relatively north with BSVI & it will reflect higher in the OTR since higher sticker prices result in corresponding % increments in taxes, registration, insurance premium - everything.
----
An additional thought - A high asking price on a C segment sedan right now will just hasten the disappearance of this fun to drive segment. They already have a very tiny pricing window to fit into considering subcompact SUVs on one end and compact (and even medium like Harrier, Hector) SUVs on the other. The C segment sedans are like sheep between 2 hungry hyenas right now. They'll get only 1 chance to make a break for it & time is running out.

It has to be a far superior technical setup & not cosmetic changes that can help this segment survive. Time to jump from run of the mill power trains to re position this segment as one for enthusiasts rather than executives. Very few are going to buy a sedan over a practical SUV if it bounces around, doesn't fly like a rocket & isn't fuel efficient at the same time.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 14:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting times ahead with the launch of the new City !
I doubt they can enhance the offering by too much given the cost restrictions of the segment. Honestly don't expect a Civic for City money. We can expect a virtual cockpit, lane watch camera & electronic hand brake to be added to the current list of equipment.
The design i think will be more mature and the spy shot shows that. It seems a little lower compared to the current tall design.

A Creta Sized SUV on the City platform is what is going to bring in the numbers and i believe they are working on a compact SUV. The HRV/Vezel which was recently shelved is the perfect size but it was based on the Civic platform and hence expensive to make.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 15:32   #18
BHPian

Am I the only one that thinks this looks exactly like the car on sale now and that Honda is just testing a new engine?

I really hope that Honda bring in their 1L or 1.5L VTEC Tubro with this iteration of the city, with the current 1.5L ivtec being combined with the Hybrid system. That will ensure that both enthusiasts and common consumers are happy!

Really looking forward to the launch of this one.
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 21:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this looks exactly like the car on sale now and that Honda is just testing a new engine?
I don't think that is going to be the case. If it was, then they might not have taken the pain to camouflag it.
Vishfull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 21:30   #20
BHPian

My wishlist:
•Better build quality in general
•Digestable price
•Nice looking chrome highlights on nose
•Fatter rubber as standard
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 22:59   #21
BHPian

I am just wondering, how will Honda price it?
I know the car would feature a more matured & sophisticated design along with a good equipment list but seeing the way how Honda is currently pricing it's vehicle I've got some serious doubts regarding the same. I won't be surprised if the new City ends up touching almost 19 Lakhs for the top end diesel or 17 Lakhs for the top end Petrol. These guys like Toyota have mastered the art of making a car overpriced.
Seeing the market dynamics currently, I hope some sense prevails in Honda Car India and they price it sensibly else I can see another flop by HCI ruining the City moniker.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 23:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I am just wondering, how will Honda price it?
I know the car would feature a more matured & sophisticated design along with a good equipment list but seeing the way how Honda is currently pricing it's vehicle I've got some serious doubts regarding the same. I won't be surprised if the new City ends up touching almost 19 Lakhs for the top end diesel or 17 Lakhs for the top end Petrol. These guys like Toyota have mastered the art of making a car overpriced.
Seeing the market dynamics currently, I hope some sense prevails in Honda Car India and they price it sensibly else I can see another flop by HCI ruining the City moniker.
Honda won't mess with the price of the City! The Amaze is well priced and it has done well. In the C Segment sedan segment, Honda has been a leader and they have constantly upgraded their product. They have always offered us the latest generation (CITY) and also been proactive with features. I dont think they can be compared with Toyota.

When we refer to the pricing of the Civic, CRV & Accord, it must be noted that these segments have really small volumes in India (in fact its a joke). We should ideally be thankful to these manufacturers for bringing their higher end cars to India and making an effort. Yes Honda could have priced them lower but then why should they when the additional volumes owing to a lower price tag will still not be a money making proposition for them.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 23:52   #23
BHPian

Honda should not dilute the main reason the City became famous for - Petrol engine. Give the enthusiasts some high revving vtec+MT sugar, have an auto option for both petrol & diesel, iron out the diesel NVH issues & you have a winner in hands.
Old 13th September 2019, 22:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Honda won't mess with the price of the City! The Amaze is well priced and it has done well. In the C Segment sedan segment, Honda has been a leader and they have constantly upgraded their product. They have always offered us the latest generation (CITY) and also been proactive with features. I dont think they can be compared with Toyota.

When we refer to the pricing of the Civic, CRV & Accord, it must be noted that these segments have really small volumes in India (in fact its a joke). We should ideally be thankful to these manufacturers for bringing their higher end cars to India and making an effort. Yes Honda could have priced them lower but then why should they when the additional volumes owing to a lower price tag will still not be a money making proposition for them.
To be honest, I already feel they have messed up with the pricing of the City. The huge discounts and various other benefits makes it evident, else I haven't seen C Segment sedans going in with a discount of almost 1.2 Lakhs! The team Bhp New car thread reveals the same. Yes! I completely agree that they've always kept the City updated with all the bells and whistles but desirability factor of City is lost now. The overall quality of the vehicle has gone down considerably and being a Honda user from so many years, I can vouch for the quality they used to offer till 2012-2013s. Now, I can't say the same and it's outright disappointing.

Regarding the volumes of the segments mentioned above, it's not like there are no buyers at all in the premium segments. The sales of Fortuner & Endeavour justifies that hence it all boils down to the product and it's pricing. No offense, but Honda did not do any kind of favour to anyone by launching it's major portfolio in the country. Its just that the consumers have much better option in that price range and honestly, the pricing of all the three cars mentioned doesn't justifies it. When you can get a Octavia (Performance & Handling) or an Elantra (Cheaper Price Tag, Features, Comfort) why ought one spend almost 25 Lakhs on a 140 HP Petrol Civic with the same R18A which came more than a decade ago! Being a Civic user, I cannot fathom spending that much on the new gen Civic.

Regarding, the CR-V, it gets defeated by it's competitors on the paper itself hence a normal buyer wouldn't even consider it in it's diesel avatar irrespective of that smashing design or interiors because at the end I'm getting a better UV in a similar price range from the Ford's stable or Toyotas and if I want to spend a little less then Tucson & Compass are anyway a good option.

The Accord on the other hands, enters straight in the 3er and C Category. Both the vehicles are selling quite decently in their respective segments and also carries that brand name along with the strong heritage associated with it then why would a consumer spend close to 45 - 50 Lakhs on-road on an Accord when the last generation vehicle is going for almost 5 - 7 Lakhs in the used car market?
Irrespective of the technology offered, for a normal consumer, the Accord will remain a heavily overpriced vehicle especially when you have such strong competitors.

Last edited by SDP : 14th September 2019 at 07:21. Reason: As requested
Old 14th September 2019, 13:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
To be honest, I already feel they have messed up with the pricing of the City. The huge discounts and various other benefits makes it evident, else I haven't seen C Segment sedans going in with a discount of almost 1.2 Lakhs! The team Bhp New car thread reveals the same. Yes! I completely agree that they've always kept the City updated with all the bells and whistles but desirability factor of City is lost now. The overall quality of the vehicle has gone down considerably and being a Honda user from so many years, I can vouch for the quality they used to offer till 2012-2013s. Now, I can't say the same and it's outright disappointing.

Regarding the volumes of the segments mentioned above, it's not like there are no buyers at all in the premium segments. The sales of Fortuner & Endeavour justifies that hence it all boils down to the product and it's pricing. No offense, but Honda did not do any kind of favour to anyone by launching it's major portfolio in the country. Its just that the consumers have much better option in that price range and honestly, the pricing of all the three cars mentioned doesn't justifies it. When you can get a Octavia (Performance & Handling) or an Elantra (Cheaper Price Tag, Features, Comfort) why ought one spend almost 25 Lakhs on a 140 HP Petrol Civic with the same R18A which came more than a decade ago! Being a Civic user, I cannot fathom spending that much on the new gen Civic.

Regarding, the CR-V, it gets defeated by it's competitors on the paper itself hence a normal buyer wouldn't even consider it in it's diesel avatar irrespective of that smashing design or interiors because at the end I'm getting a better UV in a similar price range from the Ford's stable or Toyotas and if I want to spend a little less then Tucson & Compass are anyway a good option.

The Accord on the other hands, enters straight in the 3er and C Category. Both the vehicles are selling quite decently in their respective segments and also carries that brand name along with the strong heritage associated with it then why would a consumer spend close to 45 - 50 Lakhs on-road on an Accord when the last generation vehicle is going for almost 5 - 7 Lakhs in the used car market?
Irrespective of the technology offered, for a normal consumer, the Accord will remain a heavily overpriced vehicle especially when you have such strong competitors.

I have to disagree. I sold the current generation city 4 months back after having driven it for 5 years and i think it was the best city I've owned. I had 3 previous generations before this. The current generation is in every way better than the previous gen car. Also the current discounting is bound to happen for a car at the end of its lifecycle. The current one is already 6 years old. You feel that the quality was better in 2012-13 whilst i feel it was that City which was the worst of the lot in terms of interior quality, the dolphin one prior to the 2012 mode was way better.

With respect to the higher end cars, the point im trying to make is that Honda knows their cars dont offer value whilst compared to the competition. They just dont care because if they priced them lower and made them value propositions, the volumes are still too small. In the SUV segment, they dont have cars in their global lineup that can compete with the brute Fortuners & Endeavours period.
nik_kapur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 13:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I have to disagree. I sold the current generation city 4 months back after having driven it for 5 years and i think it was the best city I've owned. I had 3 previous generations before this.
A couple of questions-
Was your petrol or diesel City?
How much was the odo when you sold it?
Which variant?
And finally what was the price you got for it?

Asking cos mine has done 5 years too and I may sell it by end of the year so will get a basic idea.
Old 14th September 2019, 13:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
A couple of questions-
Was your petrol or diesel City?
How much was the odo when you sold it?
Which variant?
And finally what was the price you got for it?

Asking cos mine has done 5 years too and I may sell it by end of the year so will get a basic idea.
I had a 1.5 vtec CVT ZX variant and I had touched 90k on the odo. Sold it for 6.25 in March 19
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 19:22   #28
BHPian

Honda City used to be Honda India's Cash Cow but now its been replaced with the Honda Amaze. I own the City ZX - GXi ( 10th aniversary edition ) and having it in the family for 11 years its still nice to drive along with the crisp manual gearshift. I have driven the current generation City Petrol and my opinion is that rear passengers can sit very comfortably behind and the car is very comfortable to drive along with the slick gearshift.They would have to price it spot on and would need to bring about a wow effect and also ensure pricing doesn't reach near the pricing of the new launched Civic Hope Honda continues to carry forward the good traits for their upcoming City and also they need to price it spot on in order to carry forward Honda City's good brand name earned among customers and mainly they would need to avoid using cheap plastics or any unwanted cost cutting measures just to create more profits.
Old 16th September 2019, 20:44   #29
BHPian

I hope Honda has learnt that to stay relevant in our market it needs to revert back to its olden days and once again start giving us some good quality products.

Since they launched the brio,amaze twins ,the quality which they used to be associated with went down and how..

We used to own the 2nd gen(dolphin)City ZX VTEC Plus(L15A) which we sold in 2014 and I think that was the best gen city interms of the perceived quality.Having the Brio A/T since then, the drop in quality levels is very evident.
TSIVTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 22:41   #30
BANNED

Honda City next generation may look like this:

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-71796951_2697730213611183_6847659341483343872_n.jpg

Interior spyshot:

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-honda-city-interior.png

Source: KeyAuto

Last edited by wheelguy : 4th October 2019 at 22:51.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed