Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2020, 09:31   #316
Team-BHP Support

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
But how is it possible that they have managed to alter the wheelbase?
My guess was that they didn't want to compromise on the rear legroom compared to the previous generation. Convinced even more because the length of the car is more as well!

BUT - I just noticed the length figure is different in both sheets. 4549 for MT, and 4569 for CVT. This is a typo for sure, and only one figure can be correct. Guess we need to wait further.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 13:25   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
This one would have my money if they price right. 8.5 till 12.5 would be the sweet spot as H badge and especially the City brand still commands respect and trust. The new design is very euro/chic, the engines are just fine and so does the space - only thing to double click on would be the build quality.
Not gonna happen. Current City SV model starts from 9.91 ex showroom and V is 10.65 ex showroom. Top ZX is 13.01. And CVT ZX is 14.37. All figures for Faridabad. Considering V is the new base now, I don't see it starting any less than 10.5 ex showroom.

It will be interesting to see if Honda gives the CVT in V variant in diesel too. This is what I am looking forward to buy personally if reasonably priced.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 13:51   #318
Senior - BHPian

I know its not gonna happen - I just said its a sweet spot! And they will have a very serious contender to the Seltos/Creta twins!

Sedans are not dead - the market has shrunk but City take still make good numbers (Ciaz price territory). But greedy Honda will rather sell half at double the margins.
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 14:12   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Not gonna happen. Current City SV model starts from 9.91 ex showroom and V is 10.65 ex showroom. Top ZX is 13.01. And CVT ZX is 14.37. All figures for Faridabad. Considering V is the new base now, I don't see it starting any less than 10.5 ex showroom.
Here in Bangalore the 10 L mark has been breached for quite some time:

Ex-Showroom Bangalore - Current Gen City:
SV Petrol 10,11,500
V Petrol 10,65,900
ZX CVT Petrol 14,57,000

SV Diesel 11,33,500
V Diesel 12,16,000
ZX Diesel 14,47,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I know its not gonna happen - I just said its a sweet spot!
Those are lower than current gen current prices...so no way...
Old 13th March 2020, 16:12   #320
BHPian

So is there no diesel variant as there is no mention of it anywhere?
Old 14th March 2020, 12:02   #321
BHPian

What I feel is, Honda will try to position the new City half a segment above the current model given the considerable increase in length and wheelbase (more so for India) which makes its length in the same ball-park as some of the D1 segment sedans.

They also might want it to be the de facto choice for the chauffeur-driven looking for a spacious sedan under 20 lacs since the Altis is gone with the chances of the new generation model making it to our quite low (the new Octavia will still be there but it’ll be considerably more expensive than this city). And while the civic is sold here, it isn’t exactly ideal for the chauffeur drive.

And I doubt this city will attract driving enthusiasts as much its predecessors. So effectively, Honda city might end up standing for space and the civic for sportiness.
Shashwat.75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 12:51   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
So is there no diesel variant as there is no mention of it anywhere?
There should be. The 1.5 diesel has been made BS6 compliant, and the new generation City was rumoured to get the Diesel CVT option as in the Amaze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat.75 View Post
What I feel is, Honda will try to position the new City half a segment above the current model given the considerable increase in length and wheelbase (more so for India) which makes its length in the same ball-park as some of the D1 segment sedans.They also might want it to be the de facto choice for the chauffeur-driven looking for a spacious sedan under 20 lacs since the Altis is gone with the chances of the new generation model making it to our quite low (the new Octavia will still be there but it’ll be considerably more expensive than this city).
For a chauffeur-driven car, Maruti Ciaz makes sense and is priced less than 10 lakhs ex-showroom for the top-end petrol version.

The only significant advantage for the City is the brand value and the better 1.5 iVTec petrol engine over Maruti's 1.5 K-series.
Old 14th March 2020, 22:05   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Yashvit from Goa.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-1w.jpg

And, to give an idea of the difference in looks of the current-gen vs the next-gen:

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-3.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th March 2020 at 22:11. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 23:06   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The only significant advantage for the City is the brand value and the better 1.5 iVTec petrol engine over Maruti's 1.5 K-series.

Honda city should be more safe than your ciaz as I don't think any Maruti product can boast of 6 airbags or 5 star crash rating. While I agree Honda will be overcharging because they've gotten confused and greedy and stupid but it gives peace of mind with regards to safety and maintenance and reliability.
M00M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 23:28   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Honda city should be more safe than your ciaz as I don't think any Maruti product can boast of 6 airbags or 5 star crash rating.
Honda City isn't tested for the Indian market and is not a 5-star rated product here. The highest safety rating achieved by Honda for India is a 3 star for the Mobilio.

6-airbags yes! Good point. Makes more sense in that way as a chauffeur driven car.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 23:34   #326
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks to Yashvit from Goa.
Just heard that the Media Drive has been called off by Honda! Not too sure if the drive was scheduled in Goa or not.
Old 14th March 2020, 23:57   #327
Senior - BHPian

Crash ratings make sense when testing is done randomly on cars picked up in base variant from dealerships. Not when manufacturers are able to send pre production top spec variant before vehicle launch so they get promotional materials right on release date.

Anyway
Indian manufactured Amaze scored 4 stars in Gncaps safer cars for Africa test.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-ama...h-test-2044804
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 00:03   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Just heard that the Media Drive has been called off by Honda! Not too sure if the drive was scheduled in Goa or not.
Yup it was in Goa next week and Honda has cancelled it.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 01:13   #329
BHPian

I am glad that they cancelled the media drive. It's indeed a risky affair at the moment and being a leading manufacturer in India they have to act matured and responsible.

It baffled me to see Tata continuing the Media drive for Harrier AT and Hyundai preponing the launch of Creta to 16th March. I hope everyone stays safe and proper precautions are taken for the launch day.
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 07:43   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Crash ratings make sense when testing is done randomly on cars picked up in base variant from dealerships. Not when manufacturers are able to send pre production top spec variant before vehicle launch so they get promotional materials right on release date.

Anyway
Indian manufactured Amaze scored 4 stars in Gncaps safer cars for Africa test.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-ama...h-test-2044804
Again, it is debatable if the Africa spec Amaze has the same structural integrity as the India spec car. It has a hard fact that Honda hasn’t been proactive in getting their India models crash tested, and that can only mean they are not expecting good results. A 4 or 5 star rating achieved is readymade PR and advertising, and their best has been the 3 star Mobilio. A 3 star rating for the City will be a disaster. Will be very surprised if Honda gets the new City crash tested by GNCAP before launch as it is essentially a third world only car now, no longer related with the European or Japanese Fit/Jazz like before. It will most likely follow the Maruti formula of complying with ‘local’ crash test norms.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 15th March 2020 at 07:47.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed