Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 12:21   #661
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
ZX is really loaded with some cool and practical features. Boasts a segment higher.
would you mind sharing what are those please ? Because I feel most of them are on par with what is being offered in this segment if not a segment lower
Old 8th July 2020, 12:24   #662
BHPian

Current City is already way pricier than what it offers, the new one will be touching the Elantra/Civic category. If this would be the case, I wish this one bombs terribly. Anything above the current prices of this City, and I will curse it to fail.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:34   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
would you mind sharing what are those please ? Because I feel most of them are on par with what is being offered in this segment if not a segment lower
Lane watch camera, rain-sensing wipers, larger sunroof, better led headlamps to name a few

Last edited by sv97 : 8th July 2020 at 12:39.
sv97 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:53   #664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
larger sunroof
Sunroof is of the same size in both the 2014 and 2020 cars. (B-pillar can be used for comparison as the profile is the same)

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200708124251_youtube.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot_20200708124100_youtube.jpg
Image source - ACI and ODMag.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th July 2020 at 12:57.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:58   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Skoda's 'downsized' engine is turbocharged + direct injection petrol. Not just DOHC, is getting rave reviews and is significantly faster than the motor it replaces. And priced from a low 7.49 lakhs.
I don't think the new DOHC engine is just a modified SOHC unit. That and the fact that the chassis is reworked to accomodate the extra length would mean there is significant R&D input unlike that of the VW group's TSI 1.0 litre turbo unit which is being plonked into half a dozen 10 year old cars and upcoming ones to recover their costs.

Even still there is a 50k difference between the old Rapid and new.
Old 8th July 2020, 12:58   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakmo View Post
Well put together

In addition to the above changes, there is also:-
1. Newly designed AC/blower unit
2. New instrument cluster with more features(G-Meter)
3. Bigger Sunroof.

Regarding the looks, I feel most of us feel its 4th gen+ because there is not a drastic change in looks and car looks like cross breed b/w 4th gen city and the civic.(Honda has played safe with the design)

but on paper, the sheer number and type of changes clearly suggest its a new car, not a cosmetic facelift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sunroof is of the same size in both the 2014 and 2020 cars -

Attachment 2026775

Attachment 2026776
Image source - ACI and ODMag.
Was referring to the above post by a fellow bhpian when writing about the larger sunroof.
Old 8th July 2020, 13:33   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

All-New Honda City To Be ~ 1.2 Lakh COSTLIER than the earlier generation Model.

Quote:
From a total of 4 trim levels (SV, V, VX ZX), the 4th-gen model will be available in just V trim only. Also, Honda will price the VX trim of the 5th-gen model at a premium of around 1.1-1.2 lakh (depending on location) over the ex-showroom price of the V variant. In simpler words, Honda City will be retailed in a total of 3 variants only, namely – V (4th-gen), VX (5th-gen), and ZX (5th-gen).
Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:38   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Lane watch camera, rain-sensing wipers, larger sunroof, better led headlamps to name a few
Apart from lane watch camera, pretty much every other features are available in cars < 1 Million, nothing to write about that'll justify the price / hype
Old 8th July 2020, 13:40   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
All-New Honda City To Be ~ ₹ 1.2 Lakh COSTLIER than the earlier generation Model
If this is true, I stand by my previous statement. Gen 5 City will be dead on arrival. Honda’s continued obsession of milking the Indian customer and offering trinkets for the fortune charged will be their death knell in India. The City was already about 3L more expensive than a similarly equipped and equally capable Ciaz. Add another 1.2L to the ex showroom price, and we are looking at a difference of about 4.5L in on road prices. All I can say is, well,

Quote:
The lane watch camera is the only new ‘feature’ here. And as multiple Civic reviews will tell you, it is rather gimmicky. And an expensive replacement in case an errant biker nicks it off. Rest, everything else is there on the competitors as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th July 2020 at 14:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:48   #670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I don't think the new DOHC engine is just a modified SOHC unit. That and the fact that the chassis is reworked to accomodate the extra length would mean there is significant R&D input unlike that of the VW group's TSI 1.0 litre turbo unit which is being plonked into half a dozen 10 year old cars and upcoming ones to recover their costs.

Even still there is a 50k difference between the old Rapid and new.
1. Same platform and same wheelbase with only larger front and rear overhangs. Why the significant rework?

L15B may not be reworked. But isn't any complicated as well - DOHC engines have been around for more than two decades now. This one is also from 2015 when it appeared on the Fit.

2. 50k difference?

2014 Honda City was launched at 7.42 to 11.10 lakhs, but has gradually increased to between 9.91 to 14.31 lakhs. That's an increase of beyond 2.5 lakhs, even speaking of the 4th generation.

With the prices above current V variants - we are looking at a near 3.5L difference between the two generations. If the above news of 1.2 lakhs over the existing variants is true - I'm just at a loss of words!

3. When did plonking good engines into more cars become a bad idea? Don't we crave for the 1.5 iVTec to be made available in the Jazz / WR-V.

The 1.0 TSi sure has given a new lease of life to the ageing Polo, Vento and Rapid - as can be seen from the forums. I hope Honda does the same too - with the 1.0 Turbo in the City, Jazz and W-RV.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th July 2020 at 13:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:20   #671
BHPian

If the price premium mentioned in the previous post is true then I will have to drop the City from my list. I was hoping for the base CVT variant to be 15L OTR (Delhi). Honda has really increased the price of the City and is within touching distance of 20L! The Octavia used to retail in the 16L-20L bracket not so long back.
Old 8th July 2020, 14:22   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All-New Honda City To Be
This is a ridiculous strategy and with that amount of price increase I will say No Honda City 5th generation for me at least. Will happily buy Creta E model and modify it to my needs. Pricing is key and Honda unfortunately is failing again.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:27   #673
BHPian

V variant pretty much seems to have all the features an average Joe needs for daily driving.
Old 8th July 2020, 14:52   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All-New Honda City To Be ~ 1.2 Lakh COSTLIER than the earlier generation Model.
From a total of 4 trim levels (SV, V, VX ZX), the 4th-gen model will be available in just V trim only. Also, Honda will price the VX trim of the 5th-gen model at a premium of around 1.1-1.2 lakh (depending on location) over the ex-showroom price of the V variant. In simpler words, Honda City will be retailed in a total of 3 variants only, namely – V (4th-gen), VX (5th-gen), and ZX (5th-gen).
Link
That is strange and does not reconcile with the features list published earlier. The feature differences chart shows three variants V, VX and SX. I assume these are all 5th Generation. Maybe the article meant to say the 4th generation will only be available in the SV variant whereas V, VX and ZX trims will be fifth generation?

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th July 2020 at 14:53.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 15:06   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Maybe the article meant to say the 4th generation will only be available in the SV variant whereas V, VX and ZX trims will be fifth generation?
I think you are right.
Here is a walk around of V model.

harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks