Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 07:59   #1186
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Took Delivery of my Honda City V CVT. It is in the Lunar silver metallic shade. The car is a breeze to drive with the silky smooth CVT and 1.5 i-vtec.
Congratulations! The silver looks stunning on the City. Solid package and still the best C2 Compact Sedan on the market.

Funny how the Civic doesn't look good in the same colour at all - I ended up buying the red.
andafunda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 08:17   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took Delivery of my Honda City V CVT. It is in the Lunar silver metallic shade. The car is a breeze to drive with the silky smooth CVT and 1.5 i-vtec.
Congratulations on picking up one of the best sedans in this category. The more I drive the iVTEC, the more I enjoy it (I have the manual version of the 4th gen City). The 5th gen is an even better pick with so many improvements and upgrades all around. Wish you many happy kilometers on your new car

Personally, I am really happy that with the new City, Honda has launched a genuinely fantastic car, and is making some good numbers at least this month. The segment is a shrinking one, but you cannot ignore a competent product when one is launched - especially a product with the brand recall and cache of the City.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 8th December 2020 at 08:20.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 08:42   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Honda should A campaign on why sedans are superior to SUVs. They could highlight various advantages such as a more relaxed and comfortable driving posture and the improved handling. As well, increased fuel efficiency due to the aerodynamic shape. They could also highlight why sedans are more convenient and comfortable for many senior citizens who struggle to haul themselves into a high cabin.

They could also highlight how, as road conditions improve in India, the problem of reduced ground clearance is going to be less and less a major issue. Despite a lot of hyping about this, I have never faced major belly scraping issues with my low slung sedan in the last 5 years, travelling all over Chennai and TN.

Honda stands to gain the most as they have the best market share on the mid size sedan segment with an excellent offering. I think people blindly assume SUVs are better because of higher seating position. But they are not all that comfortable for long distance cruising. The sofa-like relaxed posture you get in a sedan cannot be matched in comfort by the upright seating on an SUV in long distance drive.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th December 2020 at 08:44.
84.monsoon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:14   #1189
Senior - BHPian

I am hoping to pen down an entire buying experience and first impression thread hopefully soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I think Honda should A campaign on why sedans are superior to SUVs. They could highlight various advantages such as a more relaxed and comfortable driving posture and the improved handling. As well, increased fuel efficiency due to the aerodynamic shape. They could also highlight why sedans are more convenient and comfortable for many senior citizens who struggle to haul themselves into a high cabin.

I think people blindly assume SUVs are better because of higher seating position. But they are not all that comfortable for long distance cruising. The sofa-like relaxed posture you get in a sedan cannot be matched in comfort by the upright seating on an SUV in long distance drive.
A lot of Folks asked me the obvious question. Why a Sedan ?
With the compact SUV's I have experienced, they have their own strengths and weakness. But for my requirements a sedan suited me more.

The seniors in my family are also not comfortable with long rides in Compact SUV's especially folks who have ear balance issues. For bad road driving yeah, the SUV's rule over sedans. But it is only the driver who has fun, while the passengers (family) are uncomfortable and thrown around. For me the priority is my family and their comfort. Even if I were to be a sole user of this car, I would still prefer the city as the interior space is unparalleled to what the SUV'S are offering in this price bracket.
TrackDay is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:29   #1190

Quote:
I am hoping to pen down an entire buying experience and first impression thread hopefully soon.

A lot of Folks asked me the obvious question. Why a Sedan ?
With the compact SUV's I have experienced, they have their own strengths and weakness. But for my requirements a sedan suited me more.

The seniors in my family are also not comfortable with long rides in Compact SUV's especially folks who have ear balance issues. For bad road driving yeah, the SUV's rule over sedans. But it is only the driver who has fun, while the passengers (family) are uncomfortable and thrown around. For me the priority is my family and their comfort. Even if I were to be a sole user of this car, I would still prefer the city as the interior space is unparalleled to what the SUV'S are offering in this price bracket.

I agree with all the points mentioned in the post above. I am the happy owner of a City ZX CVT as well and one of the most important factors that swayed my decision into owning this vs the Creta (Long time Hyundai Fan - Had a creta AND an i20 earlier) was the really comfortable seating positions.

I've driven a creta that was on lease from work - over 20000km and an i20 - over 36000km at the point of sale and the city wins all factors hands down.

The creta has the punch but sitting down for long drives is not a comfy factor... We drove from munnar to connoor in a single day on the creta in 2018 and we just slept in the resort for a day to get over the tiredness...

I've done a similar trip bangalore -> kumarakom -> vagamon -> bangalore on the i20 - my longest road trip ever. And yes, I personally found the i20 and its bucket-ish seats more comfortable.

Now to the Honda city - 3 weeks since purchase, the car is due for its first service this friday having done over 900km.

And honestly, I really dont have a complaint to make when I take it to the service center. Its just as comfortable inside the city with peak bangalore traffic as it is on the hassan highways on sports mode letting all those horses loose.

And my kids in the back seat dont feel a thing - which is super crucial since my younger one has severe motion sickness :-)
ashwin_murali is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:45   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I think Honda should A campaign on why sedans are superior to SUVs. They could highlight various advantages such as a more relaxed and comfortable driving posture,.. improved handling. ,..increased fuel efficiency due to the aerodynamic shape. ,.. why sedans are more convenient and comfortable for many senior citizens who struggle to haul themselves into a high cabin.

They could also highlight how, as road conditions improve in India

I think people blindly assume SUVs are better because of higher seating position. But they are not all that comfortable for long distance cruising.
SUV/Cross overs have advantages that are :
1. Due to higher seating, lights from two wheelers, three wheelers and small cars wont directly hit eyes of a vehicle set high off the ground. I am speaking this from my experience. Wagon R, Baleno 1.6, City 1.5, Innova. Two cars I have mentioned are low slung sedans, two have higher seating position. Driving at night was easier in Wagon R, Innova.

2. Getting in and out of the car. My grand parents are quite old, grandfather being 90. Grandfather finds it very easy to get in and out of Innova, 5-6 years ago when we had wagon R, he found the ingress and egress very easy. He avoids using City as of now.

3. Road Conditions are not improving all over India uniformly. Gujarat Road conditions have gone bad. I have managed to hit underbody of my City in my own native village. Lets assume its a rare occurrence, but the peace of mind by not worrying (or worrying significantly less) for bad roads and high speed-breakers gives an edge to SUV's/Crossovers.

4. Water logging on Indian roads is not uncommon, and this is where SUV/Crossovers have distinct advantage. Not that we see lots and lots of water logging day in day out. But the advantage cant' be ignored. I bought City despite barely escaping a huge repair bill last year in my Swift.

Sedans have their own advantage any day. I am assuming that in future they might get stable market share. Sudden directional changes, efficiency, comfort due to lower center of gravity are all there, but not enough for our roads atleast. Add the anathema of "bigger is better", etc. and for sure SUV/Crossovers will rule the sales game. Personally, I love sedans the way the cruise and lower center of gravity, nothing can beat physics at the end of the day. Honda's near perfect ergonomics means icing on the cake, and then we have the brilliant petrol engine. But Honda needs to try harder with more powertrains and exploit the advantages of sedans.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 11:52   #1192
BHPian

Anyone have opted for airbag compatiable seat covers honda is offering? Is it OK to use, considering it is showcased by honda in the brochure itself?
And what is the cost?
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 16:00   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Anyone have opted for airbag compatiable seat covers honda is offering? Is it OK to use, considering it is showcased by honda in the brochure itself?
And what is the cost?
The ones offered at the Honda dealer should be compatible with the airbag seats. I think from posts before in this thread it is around 10k for the covers. They will not cover the seat completely and should be a partial cover as the area where the air bags are embedded will not be cover.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 17:06   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the New City! With the ride sorted out you'll surely have no complaints about the low speed ride and the CVT is meditation in the city. With enhanced space, features and engine (DOHC replacing the SOHC). This is sure to serve you well.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:07   #1195
gus
BHPian

I wonder what's between vento rapid that rapid is clocking much higher numbers than vento when everything remains the same... Even the quality of service...
Old 14th December 2020, 19:32   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I wonder what's between vento rapid that rapid is clocking much higher numbers than vento when everything remains the same... Even the quality of service...

Personally the Vento looks like a Polo with boot which it is. The Rapid does not have the Fabia for that image. Plus for some reason people perceive Skoda badge as luxury over VW badge. I prefer the Rapids Octavia styling over the Ventos Polo looks.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 23:18   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
That's solely because of the Rider and Rider Plus variants. They make a lot of sense at that price point and hence the numbers. Even when the Rider variant is gone, Rider Plus still is a good vfm option.

Lowest variant prices (ex-showroom) of both cars :

Rapid Rider Plus : 7.99 L
Vento Trendline : 8.93 L
Old 16th December 2020, 21:13   #1198

Honda City Dealership - Request for Update Dec 2020

Hi Friends

I am posting in this forum after a period of 10 years... that's when I bought my first Honda city -- now after 200,000 km, its time to upgrade to the 5th Gen Honda city - can the experts suggest me the best dealership to buy from. I stay in Western Suburbs, but going to the city (no pun intended) is no problem

The previous posts on this topic in the forum seem to be several years old -- hence asking for an update

Viva Honda, Solitaire Honda, Hall mark Honda -- all quoted me more or less the same price. So it boils down to service, really.

Thanks in anticipation

Warm Regards
Peter
petertheo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 23:33   #1199
BHPian

Re: Honda City Dealership - Request for Update Dec 2020

I have used Solitaire Honda last year (Andheri/Borivali). This year used them for servicing. I found their service to be decent with updates/reminders on time so far. Its always better to use the service on weekdays rather than weekends due to the rush.

For pricing also found them to be good, thus went with them in the first place. You could try to haggle for free accessories.
TheCatalyst is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 23:47   #1200
BHPian

Is there a shift lock release button in Honda city cvt?

Most Viewed