Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How many cars do you have at your home?
One car 295 31.12%
More than one car 634 66.88%
No cars 19 2.00%
Voters: 948. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 09:43   #1
BANNED

Number of single-car vs multi-car households on Team-BHP

Just got an idea to verify the number of single-car households versus multi-car households on the Team-BHP forum while on another thread. I was of the assumption/opinion that there are quite(I mean around 30-40%) a number of Team-BHP members with more than one car at their homes, so this poll was created to get the actual picture.

Mine was a one car household with multiple two-wheelers.

Last edited by wheelguy : 12th September 2019 at 09:44.
wheelguy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 09:51   #2
BHPian

re: Number of single-car vs multi-car households on Team-BHP

One car. In Gurgaon you don't need another car just to run local errands anymore, thanks to Uber and Ola. Few years ago, before Uber/Ola came to the scene, it (2nd car) was a necessity though because public transport is non-existent.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 09:54   #3
BHPian

We have 1 car and 5 two wheelers at home: 3 bikes and 2 scooters. We don't have any more cars due to parking issues, whereas we might buy more two-wheelers in future because there's ample space for them at home.
boniver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to find the perfect car which can be stress-free in city and that brings a smile on on highways.

For city I need - Compact, automatic, power to zip through the city and FE(60km drive daily)
For Highways - Powerful cruiser, ride and handling, Space(for 5 adults and storage)

There are house-holds with multiple drivers and I guess it is natural to own more than one cars in such cases. However in my case, i am the sole driver and yet feels the need for two cars !!
rajshenoy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
One car. In Gurgaon you don't need another car just to run local errands anymore, thanks to Uber and Ola. Few years ago, before Uber/Ola came to the scene, it (2nd car) was a necessity though because public transport is non-existent.
Curious about that. Do Ola/Uber accept neighborhood bookings typically within 2-3 Kms from home? Also, I feel these cab guys are ill suited for things such as school runs since they are hard to get right when you need them, which is what a 2nd car is typically used for as well.
rovingeye is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
For city I need - Compact, automatic, power to zip through the city and FE(60km drive daily)
For Highways - Powerful cruiser, ride and handling, Space(for 5 adults and storage)
Sums up nicely. Indeed the AltoK10 that you and I own are right now the best for this city run-about duty. Little fast machine that has nothing that malfunctions. Very easy to drive with AMT and frugal to maintain.

Like you mentioned - me & my spouse both drive. Both work in 180 degree opposite ends of the city & need to commute separately. With the total lack of safe, affordable & reliable public transport infrastructure in Pune 2 cars is a necessity rather than a luxury if 2 people travel 50 kms a day for work. Carpooling ensures less carbon footprint & we opt for SRide app for that which is very good.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Got two cars and one two wheeler at home. Two cars have become a necessity as both my wife and I work. Two wheeler is used primarily for short 1-2Kms distance shopping run about.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Curious about that. Do Ola/Uber accept neighborhood bookings typically within 2-3 Kms from home? Also, I feel these cab guys are ill suited for things such as school runs since they are hard to get right when you need them, which is what a 2nd car is typically used for as well.
Well, the Uber driver don't know the destination while accepting the booking. So technically, you can book an Uber for just 100 metre drive as well.

For school runs, school bus is always better. There is a huge jam in front of the schools every morning and it actually takes more time to drop the child to school by car (buses have separate entry and there are always guards to ensure separate passage of buses to the gate).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

I live with my parents so both dad and me have one car each. If we were living separate, each one would have been a single car household.

My wife drives occasionally. For a while, we had another car (Swift) for her. But when the Swift retired, we did not replace it because Uber worked perfectly for us.

So practically, one family one car and I have voted accordingly.
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:34   #10
BHPian

I have two cars at home. I use Manza for my work trips and my wife uses Nano AMT. While the area we stay is very well served by Ola/Uber, its the convenience for my wife for grocery runs and kids pick up/drop off using Nano which is helping a lot.
varman742 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 11:03   #11
BHPian

We have the Santro for 14 years now when only my dad used to drive to work with a 25 year old 2-wheeler (CD100) which occasionally serves for local runs. Got another bike (ZMR) and car (HEXA) when I started going to college and work respectively. As you can see my choice of vehicles are not hits in the market!
To sum up, 2 cars and 2 bikes. One for city drives and one for the highways.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 11:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though we stay in 2 different cities, between me and my wife, we own one car only. My wife is an occasional driver and we have an understanding that we will share the single car between the two of us even if we can easily afford another car. We are happy to depend on OLA/Uber/Quick Ride when necessary rather than buying and maintaining another car. If and when we its time to upgrade, we will replace this car with another one. Last year, I was offered a mint condition Pajero SFX for 'free' but I gave up the offer as I didn't want 2 cars and Pajero can't be a practical primary ride!

My parents stay in a different city and they don't own any car at all, even if they can easily afford. My dad has his office car with driver to take him around and for the rare personal outing, they take their Activa or OLA/Uber/auto. My relatives are happy to give them a lift too as our city has a small footprint. Hence, my dad doesn't want a 'liability' unless he finds a real use case for a car.

My in-laws bought their second car recently. My FIL is really passionate about automobiles but he used his 1st gen Alto for good 14 years before going in for another better hatchback. Since the Alto has hardly any residual value, he held on to it as a beater car till it dies completely.

Last edited by ashis89 : 12th September 2019 at 11:14.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 11:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Voted One!

At some point we were a 3 car household with me as the sole driver in the house.
Now, we have 1 car and 3 motorcycles, with me and my wife as drivers.

Hahahahaha.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 11:49   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
As you can see my choice of vehicles are not hits in the market!
To sum up, 2 cars and 2 bikes. One for city drives and one for the highways.
Our choices doesn't have to match the market hits, they just have to meet our needs and keep us happy. They just have to have adequate service & spares availability. Even my choice(Nano) is not a market hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Even though we stay in 2 different cities, between me and my wife, we own one car only. My wife is an occasional driver and we have an understanding that we will share the single car between the two of us even if we can easily afford another car. We are happy to depend on OLA/Uber/Quick Ride when necessary rather than buying and maintaining another car. If and when we its time to upgrade, we will replace this car with another one. Last year, I was offered a mint condition Pajero SFX for 'free' but I gave up the offer as I didn't want 2 cars and Pajero can't be a practical primary ride!
Nice choice to not own an extra car. Pajero SFX for free!, I would jump out of my seat if I get such an offer but anyhow again a practical choice to give up the offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
At some point we were a 3 car household with me as the sole driver in the house. Now, we have 1 car and 3 motorcycles, with me and my wife as drivers.
3 cars to 1 car, quite an interesting transformation, what are the influencing factors behind such transformation?

Last edited by wheelguy : 12th September 2019 at 11:57.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 12:05   #15
BHPian

Have Ecosport Titanium TDCI of out of city/state runs while Nano XTA fits the bill perfectly for within city and office runs.
Apart from these two have a Wego and Activa for extremely short runs.
Additionally have two cycles, one freemotion and Hercules for those early morning fitness rides whenever I am able to wake up, that is.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks