Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How many cars do you have at your home?
One car 295 31.12%
More than one car 634 66.88%
No cars 19 2.00%
Voters: 948. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 09:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Number of single-car vs multi-car households on Team-BHP

1 car for me in the USA.
Mom and dad share 1 car in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I foresee many two-car households moving to a single car because of the app-taxis.
Will happen in most cases, not all. With kids and constraints, it is difficult. Already happened in my family after I moved to the USA for my Masters and dad took up a new job (which involves a lot of traveling.) Out went the Innova and Getz and in came a Ciaz AT.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 09:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
One car. In Gurgaon you don't need another car just to run local errands anymore, thanks to Uber and Ola. Few years ago, before Uber/Ola came to the scene, it (2nd car) was a necessity...
Have 4, but hear me out on why. Was wanting to rationalise last year and had a similar thought as yours but due to logistical issues haven’t been able to implement yet.
1 car is for local runs (errands) and also serves as back up. I tried the cab aggregator experiment twice but in my case one usually ends up going to multiple markets because there’s almost always those two things that can’t be done in one market.
1 each for me and wife. They also serve for town & outstation trips depending on number of people travelling.
1 which has done all off 4000Kms in 6 years which I use for local travel when I go to Lucknow. Ola/Uber weren’t so popular/easily available when this one was bought.
maven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:01   #63
BHPian

Have 1 car, usage has come down to minimum, thanks to metro, app taxis and lack of parking space. We take out the car only during highway runs.

To serve the local market shopping, we have 2 scooters and a bike.
Full_Minchingu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:04   #64
BHPian

I belong to the more than 1 car house hold.
It can be easily categorized as 1 constant Vehicle (Mahindra Classic with me for the past 16+ Years) and 1 variable (HM Ambassador / W124 / Corolla Altis). Now the present variable is 2011 Corolla Altis.

Till date I regret for letting the W124 go. It was a gem of a car and built to run on highways which no other car in this generation can match.

Last edited by vasanthjn : 13th September 2019 at 10:18. Reason: spelling
vasanthjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Have 4, but hear me out on why.
I completely understand. The convenience that a private car provides, can't be matched by cabs (even 2-wheelers). It comes down to the calculations on cost vs convenience which, honestly, would be different with different individual.

For needs, we usually go to a supermarket in order to buy as much as possible/available in one go. For daily/ad-hoc needs, home delivery services like Amazon pantry or (in case of immediate needs, that provide overnight ordering and next morning delivery) milkbasket/BBdaily etc.

In Gurgaon (I'm sure it would be true in other big cities too), one do not need to step out of their house at all, if one want to. You can get anything and everything home delivered. For me, one car is sufficient to travel home-office-home, evening/weekend mall hopping, as well as highway drives.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:25   #66
BHPian

I stay alone in GGN. Have a non geared 2 wheeler for runabout.

For date night, I rent a zoomcar or Uber)

I sold off my bikes and my wagon R
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

No car since May this year

Earlier: 1 small hatch back and no motorcycle.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:41   #68
BHPian

I think the days of multiple cars are numbered, with majority of people preferring hired transport/two wheelers for local errands. I've one car while my father has 3, & he faces issues while parking almost all the time.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

We as a family own two cars. I own an MS Brezza and wife (and dad) use a Honda WRV. Yes, somehow we ended up with two cars from the same segment ( C-SUV). Our third car, an Ertiga VXI is already booked and we are waiting for the delivery.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:04   #70
BHPian

Two cars in the family.
A 2017 Hyundai Creta Petrol AT which is primarily used by my parents for work and for our family road trips.
A 2014 Hyundai Grand i10 Petrol Manual which is used by me for my daily commute and on weekends as a runabout for errands.
TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

3 cars and a bike.

Technically, one is my dad's and one a fellow member's and one mine, but all of them are under my care, so chose the second option.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:17   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

I have 4 cars and 1 motorcycle in my home.

1. 2015 Ciaz 1.3 - My primary car 94,000 km
2. 2016 Kwid 1.0 - My back up car 35,000 km
3. 2016 Celerio 1.0 - Dad's car 34,000 km
4. 2018 Storme Varicor 2.2 - Family car / long distance runner 13,000 km

1. 2017 KTM RC 390 - 9000 km

I use ciaz for work and at times as a beater car too. Of all the cars, I prefer the ciaz for the comfort, bombproof reliability and terrific fuel efficiency. Kwid does duty mostly for gym runs and for places where traffic is hectic.

Celerio is totally used by dad.
Storme is sparingly used. We have always had an SUV at home, and since we sold our beloved Safari Dicor after 1,40,000 km, we had no other apt replacement than the Storme.

Since I feel ciaz better suited to me than the storme , I don't use the Tata often, and hence the low mileage. Ciaz will clock 1,00,000 km by November, and I have decided to use it for atleast 3 more years, considering the atrocious pricing of new c2 sedans currently. I love Skoda Rapid MonteCarlo TDI DSG, which retails at a sky high 17 lakhs OTR.

I could do without kwid though. Even then, 3 cars is absolutely necessary for our usage. Without Kwid and my previous 2 motorcycles (CBR 250R and Duke 390), Ciaz would have clocked 1.5 lakh km by now!

Also the motorcycle is redundant too. I use it occasionally when I feel the need for speed and adrenalin spikes.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 13th September 2019 at 11:26.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:43   #73
NTO
BHPian

We are a 3 cars in the house. A Civic 2012 AT, Vento 2014 1.6 TDi and a Punto 2015 1.3 MjD. Civic is my primary car, Punto for my dad and Vento for my younger brother. Since my dad's usage is not significant, my brother or I take the Punto when we need to. Also, my dad has the habit of never letting the diesel go beyond the half tank mark. So, we know the car is always ready to be taken out

In addition to this we have 4 two wheelers. One RC 390, One CBR 250R and one Thunderbird 500. My dad recently bought a TVS N torq replacing his Classic 500 owing to shoulder pain (age factor). CBR and Thuderbird are used for road trips and RC for occasional track days. N Torq does morning trips to the park where my dad goes for a walk and groceries shopping.
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

I have a Polo GT Tsi for when I am in the mood for some elevated driving experience, and a Honda City for taking care of family needs. Being a CVT robs it somewhat from the elevated driving potential, but the flip side is the serene, almost electric car like cruise at 80-100 kph.
The Polo in contrast feels like a sturdy energetic horse , ever eager to please it’s master at “the drop of the pedal” .
I am happy either way and so is the family!
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:08   #75

I have 2 cars at home, one for me and one for my wife. We both work and have different timings so we need 2 cars.

No motorbikes, though I have been toying with the thought of getting a Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 for short runs.

I also have a Trek 3500 bicycle that I use for occasional office commutes when the weather is good.
mallhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed