Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How many cars do you have at your home?
One car 295 31.12%
More than one car 634 66.88%
No cars 19 2.00%
Voters: 948. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 13:10   #76
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Number of single-car vs multi-car households on Team-BHP

I have one car at home and 3 two-wheelers (1 scooter & 1 bike and another bike in my native place).

When I move to my native (expecting that great day ), I will sell the two bikes.
RGK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:22   #77
BHPian

Have a Skoda Rapid Style Plus 2015, Diesel model for out of city runs and my sister's Honda City Zx 2015, Petrol model for city commute.

In 2015 I still had possession of my Hyundai Getz GVS 2008, Diesel model sharing our garage with the 2 newly acquired cars.

It was those crazy times, when I was spoilt for choice.

It forced me to drive to work daily, else had to listen from my parents for parking 3 cars in the Garage. Loved those drives from Girinagar to ITPL, full workout for my left calf muscles.

Parted with Getz in late 2016 with a heavy heart.

Now my garage has 2 cars, 2 bikes (2007 RE Bullet Machismo, 2010 RE Bullet Standard - else would have missed owning a legend) and one 2006 Honda Activa, listening from my parents for having so many vehicles contd...

As always enjoying Driving/Riding!
Fan@Automotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:34   #78
BHPian

We are a household of 3 families and we have 4 cars between us, so voted more than one accordingly!

On a lighter note, the Odd-Even is back, so having more than one may be a good idea after all.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:42   #79
Senior - BHPian

Two cars and thats how its always been for the last 10 years since I got married. And no two wheelers at all, even in a place like Bangalore! Sometimes an inconvenience in terms of parking, but you learn to live with that.

And I have always changed both the cars in Tandem, just months apart. First it was the Dzire and the Alto. Then it became the Rapid and the Brio. And now in the last one year we have switched to the Creta and the Elite i20.
And the pattern has always been one Diesel and one Petrol.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:57   #80
BHPian

I and my wife both work so we need 2 cars. So I coaxed my wife into buying a GT TSI since I love that car and I blew up my car money to buy a Kawasaki Z800. Heart over mind decision that has made me really Happy!!
anshumandun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:03   #81
BHPian

I don't really like 2 wheelers - dust, pollution, safety, helmet, lack of space for luggage etc.
One car for all needs. Fiat Linea which i use for 2km, 20km and 200km trips. Though 2km trips are very very less. 99.9% grocery and shopping needs are met online. So, no worries on that front. Can't afford multiple cars with a wifey who doesn't drive and a month's old baby. Generally prefer to use cars till the end of their life - so i'd have one car and change it every 5 to 6 years than having multiple cars for office, running errands, out station trips etc and having to change after 10+ years since the running then gets split.

Last edited by bharatbits : 13th September 2019 at 15:09.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:27   #82
BHPian

My Parents and my family ( with 2 school kids) stay together. We have 3 cars + 1 Two wheeler. One car, wife uses to go to her workplace(selfdriven), 2nd car, me + Dad, with a driver for office and the 3rd car with a driver is for home use ( daughters extra curricular activities + Mother's outing/shopping trips). 2 wheeler is used by me or wife to chase the missed school bus or short grocery trips/ going to the Gym or nearby club.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:45   #83
BHPian

Have two cars and two two-wheelers at my residence. But am going to work in a cycle now that my office has shifted closer to my place.

Cycling has helped me lose 3 kgs in about a month, plus I just find it a bit funny that every morning I don't have to worry about whether there is enough petrol in the car/bike.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:55   #84

I have 2 cars and a bike. Smaller automatic Kwid for local drives and Verna diesel for long journies
pjnayak64 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 16:06   #85
BHPian

I voted for more than one car as I have 2, below is the pic. I strongly encourage people to first have enough parking before buying more than 1 car. 1 car street parking is acceptable but I have see people parking 2 or 3 cars on road in front of other's house.
Attached Thumbnails
Number of single-car vs multi-car households on Team-BHP-20190913_160124.jpg  

CarBot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 16:51   #86
Team-BHP Support

I live in two locations on 50:50 basis. So I have two cars.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 17:04   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
... The younger ones have flown away and gradually some of the older ones have flown away too...
You post was more poignant than what I was ready for when I read it. Very nice choice of words. You are fortunate; and I don't mean that purely in superficial and material terms alone. I am saying that it's amazing that you have journeyed that full arc. Many of us started our lives very late; at least those parts of life that really matter anyways. We just had the first member of our next generation enter our lives when one of the oldies decided to "fly away". And just as I was unready for the layers of meaning in your post, I was not at all ready for that oldie's departure. Over the next couple of years, the next member of the next generation checked in to our lives and true to timing, one more oldie decided to check out. You see what I am saying? That's the prayer I say everyday; that our next generation has the opportunity to get to know the oldies in our family as I once had a chance to get to know the ones from two generations ago.

And oh, I have a small and inexpensive car. I want another car that is bigger and more expensive. But, I want a lot of things. With time I have realized that what I want really doesn't matter. It's what I have that does.

Cheers

Last edited by mohansrides : 13th September 2019 at 17:14.
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 17:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

I went with the more than 1 option because I have 3 car's and 1 Bike.

1) 2006 Esteem Vxi - 68,000 Km.

2) 2012 Fluidic Verna - 47,000 Km.

3) 2018 Tiago XZA Automatic - 12,000 Km.

4) 2018 RR 310 - 7,000 Km.

I still have room for 3 more car's in my garage. I love collecting car's and Bike's because 1 I am attached to them, 2 because they have abysmal resale value.

Ola and Uber has not penetrated here because I'm in a rural area so I will still have to depend entirely on car's and if there is a rare chance of all car's breaking down at once, we can always hail our good old Auto's, very bumpy ride but ok for once in a while travelling :-).
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 17:23   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
You post was more poignant than what I was ready for when I read it. Very nice choice of words. You are fortunate; and I don't mean that purely in superficial and material terms alone. I am saying that it's amazing that you have journeyed that full arc.

And oh, I have one inexpensive car. I want another, more expensive, car. But, I want a lot of things. With time I have realized that what I want really doesn't matter. It's what I have that does.
Thank you for your kind and appreciative post. Nice to see your young family filling in. Enjoy these years. Also fulfill your desire for a bigger car and the one bigger/more luxurious than that. Complete your basket of material desires. Its important so that later you can very comfortably downsize as you get to the vanasprastha ashram stage of life. It is easier to downsize once you have been there done that owned it enjoyed it. Where cars go with my Lexus ES300h I have peaked out. I don't want to go in for a car more expensive than this not because of the bank balance but because the inner need or khwaish has been satiated and if I am candid an inverse snobbery sets in. My best wishes to you.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 17:24   #90
Senior - BHPian

2 cars.

Nano : Is actually used quite a lot in city.
Baleno : Do monthly Mumbai-Pune runs, had to buy after my child was born.

Wego : One scooter is a must in Pune.

I didn't sell Nano since it was the first car I bought and I really adore it.
I have started driving to office these days, thanks to car pooling apps and the fact that my shift time does not have much traffic.

Last edited by silverado : 13th September 2019 at 17:26.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed