Team-BHP - Rumour: Ford might sell its Gujarat factory
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: Ford might sell its Gujarat factory (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/213157-rumour-ford-might-sell-its-gujarat-factory.html)

According to a media report, Ford is planning to sell one of its factories in India. The company currently operates plants in Chennai, Tamil Nadu and Sanand, Gujarat.

Rumour: Ford might sell its Gujarat factory-2018fordaspirefacelift06.jpg

It is believed that the carmaker is in talks with at least one global automotive company for the sale of its Sanand plant. The negotiations are reportedly being handled by Ford's Asia-Pacific headquarters in Shanghai. However, a Ford spokesperson has rejected these rumours.

Ford's Sanand plant was set up in 2015. The company is said to have invested around US$1 billion in the facility. It has an annual capacity of 2,40,000 cars and 2,70,000 engines.

The Figo and Aspire are built at the Sanand plant. The facility also caters to the export market. Cars built here are exported to more than 30 countries.

Source: Livemint

Link to Team-BHP News

Thanks for sharing. Heard this rumour a couple of days back from my Automotive circle. The guy is pretty well connected with the top brass so i am pretty sure that this is happening. And he did tell that Great Wall seems interested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4656672)
It is believed that the carmaker is in talks with at least one global automotive company for the sale of its Sanand plant. The negotiations are reportedly being handled by Ford's Asia-Pacific headquarters in Shanghai. However, a Ford spokesperson has rejected these rumours.

I wonder which global automotive company is entering India at this stage? Most likely it will be a Chinese company. Great Wall Motors, BYD are rumored to enter India in the next 1-2 years.

Ford and GM are struggling across the world including major markets like China, Europe and India. GM exited both India and European markets already. Only USA is the saving grace for these giants currently. Bad management, silly decisions like stopping sedans entirely, no future planning are the main reasons for the struggles of these companies.

As per my knowns, discussions are ongoing with Mahindra but for some issues on the pricing given the high investments at Sanand. They have one of the most modern plants with the very best European machinery except for Press shop which is from Korea but of very high quality. Other's like TATA sources most of their machineries inhouse from TAL. It will be a bargain deal in this market considering the land size and the machines they have put. Our's a tough market where you have to compete with players who will save the last gm on the steel and likewise and companies like FORD cannot compromise on many things without approvals.

Wish, they stay independent.

Bound to happen.

From the day the Ford Sanand plant was announced, it didn't make any sense to me. Hyundai was selling several times over Ford and was happy with expanding around its existing plant. But Ford for god knows what reason wanted another plant on the other side of the coast so far away.

I hope the new buyer is able to fully utilise the fantastic facility.

But this isn't new for them. They tried a similar thing with their IT services in Gurgaon and later shut it down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4656672)
According to a media report, Ford is planning to sell one of its factories in India.

Can anyone enlighten why they are even thinking of choosing to part with the newer Sanand instead of the older Chennai?

Since Sanand is new, won't it be more aligned in terms of tech , equipment and factory processes, to Ford's current Global Standards. Won't that help the company put out better/newer products and stay relevant in the market?

The cost recovery angle of "not selling old but new" puts me into further dilemma.

Yes, if they sale Chennai, they'd have to transfer a lot of manpower, but Sanand too is a Manufacturing hub, and has the relevant infrastructure needed IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharktale (Post 4656817)
Can anyone enlighten why they are even thinking of choosing to part with the newer Sanand instead of the older Chennai?

Depreciation on books. In the initial years one can book higher depreciation, which Ford has done and since the plant is new, they will be able to negotiate higher value; its a win win.

The older plant is already depreciated and will also not fetch them good value, whereas it will continue to serve them well (production activities) since it's a fully functional facility.

The second reason for selection of Gujarat is that export orders would require longer surface hauling leading to higher lead time and lower margins (cost of transportation of goods); Chennai offers better access to ports. its thus a supply chain issue.

Third, the ancillaries / vendors may be optimized at Chennai whereas Gujarat being a new facility, the vendor optimization could be work in progress.

& last - State exercise and duties; Chennai is considered as Detroit of India. The state might be offering better business terms to manufacturers.

Its plain simple accounting ! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharktale (Post 4656817)

Which of the below gets better sale value?

1. Sparingly used 2017 Ford Ecosport with only 15000 kms on the odometer.

2. 2005 Ford Ikon

I hope this helps. 😀

Quote:

Originally Posted by i74js (Post 4656832)
Depreciation on books. In the initial years one can book higher depreciation, which Ford has done.

I don't think they make any money yet and their Indian operations will be in Red so depreciation may not be the factor.

Quote:

The second reason for selection of Gujarat is that export orders would require longer surface hauling leading to higher lead time and lower margins (cost of transportation of goods)
No, Mundra port handles export and it's not far off from Sanand. As far as I know, Mundra port is one of the cheapest when it comes to handling large cargos. Maruti also uses the same.
Quote:

Third, the ancillaries / vendors may be optimized at Chennai whereas Gujarat being a new facility, the vendor optimization could be work in progress.
Partially correct, most of their ancillaries have setups nearby as Sanand is home to Tata as well. Now with Suzuki Gujarat and Honda plants, this area is developing very fast.

Quote:

The state might be offering better business terms to manufacturers.
From whatever I know, Gujarat is more conducive for manufacturers and businesses.

Reasons for this sale/ partnership will be the overall value it will get because of the age and size of the Sanand plant. But if FORD decides to leave, who knows if the Chennai plant is also a part of the deal:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4656974)
I don't think they make any money yet and their Indian operations will be in Red so depreciation may not be the factor.

I beg to differ.

https://www.autocarpro.in/analysis-s...96-units-42650

These are the official numbers for previous FY. Ford indeed is making profits from exports. How the books are prepared would depend upon where the profits are booked - In India or Overseas. It is possible that Ford India might be transferring produced goods at TP value and showing its books in RED.

I hope this isn't true. Its a huge state of the art facility. Tremendous output numbers (=lot of employment opportunities). Especially important since it is used as a manufacturing base for export cars. If it isn't viable for a giant like Ford to run an export business from India, its alarming & tells that manufacturing sector is still not efficient & business friendly yet in India to compete with the other hubs like China, Malaysia, Brazil, Romania & Argentina. Sad to see this if thats the case.

I won't be surprised if our lack of zeal for quality, union issues labour laws & taxation caused this.

On the other hand, if Ford just sells it off & doesn't actually open / enlarge another plant elsewhere on the planet - that would mean they grossly miscalculated business pipeline, their own capability to make & sell cars & invested money where they aren't getting any returns at all. Built for a capacity that wasn't needed at all.

If this happens - I hope the deal has a safe outcome for those employed at the plant.

One of my cars is an ecosport, and had owned a Chevy Captiva in the past. So I know the angst of a manufacturer leaving you in the lurch. Henceforth, my cars will only be from home grown manufacturers so that at least you are not left in the lurch. Even if Tata and Mahindra cease operations in the future, the overall ecosystem is strong enough to receive service and spares support for the useful life of the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 4657286)
One of my cars is an ecosport, and had owned a Chevy Captiva in the past. So I know the angst of a manufacturer leaving you in the lurch. Henceforth, my cars will only be from home grown manufacturers so that at least you are not left in the lurch. Even if Tata and Mahindra cease operations in the future, the overall ecosystem is strong enough to receive service and spares support for the useful life of the car.

But GM leaving India was a different matter to this news. Ford has 3 facilities in India. They are rumored to be looking to sell just one of them. Not pulling out. In fact with a partnership taking shape with M&M, their future here should be fairly long term. GM left India as a car seller due to low customer volumes. They still have presence in India for some R&D and exports I think.

Ford do not need this factory anymore. The Ford Ka / Figo is shortly going to be deleted from the European Product line. Makes more sense to utilise the Chennai factory. All Euro Ecosports come from Romania. The next mid size SUV would be built by Mahindra if I am correct.

Perhaps the factory might be bought by Maruti for the new Vitara/Jimny or a new Chinese entrant

Ford India has started to "wriggle out" slowly but steadily. First the JV with Mahindra, then the sale of the Sanand plant rumors. When the downturn strikes hard the 'consolidation' phase begins: where fringe players are unable to bear the losses throw in the towel and the established players will be able to brave the storm. It's the customers and the dealers who'll feel the pinch.