Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2021, 11:37   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia

I actually quite like the new Skoda designs overall. The Rapid does feel like its got a breath of fresh air with this model.

For all my complaints and issues with Skoda on reliability and dealership woes, I have to be grateful to them for one thing. For purists and enthusiasts in particular, they are offering the most comprehensive sedan portfolio coverage with high performance, solidly built cars - across the range - whether its Rapid / New Rapid, Octavia or Superb. For most part, these are reasonably well priced to (keep aside the recent Octavia debacle) and where they're not, German like discounts are inevitable so they can be had for a good price at the right time.

Even on the SUV front they have a reasonably decent portfolio now with Kushaq - Karoq - Kodiaq (with the Tiguan & Allspace thrown in for good measure through VW) although on this front they're still underselling because the availability of various models is inconsistent and in one odd case through an unrealistic CBU approach. They could definitely do better here but it would seem that's a WHEN not IF issue.

The only missing link is the diesel factor I guess but perhaps they could instead try and introduce more hybrid variants to the existing petrol engine options. That will be another wonderful differentiator.

Take Honda and Toyota in contrast and its pathetic how much they're underselling in India.
Civic and Altis, discontinued (and when sold it was with wheezy engines in some models).
Camry: reacting to demand with low volumes
CR-V: discontinued.
Accord: discontinued
Toyota SUVs / MUVs: Limited to Innova / Fortuner, no softroaders or cross overs in the 15 - 30L range; only a Maruti re-badged Brezza higher up.

They could do SO much more but just don't seem to have the management drive or perhaps HQ buy in.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 14:09   #77
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

They are looking at a fresh new sedan to be launched in early 2022 & placed between the RAPID & Octavia, probably to be named as Slavia/Laura with the 1L & 1.5L TSI engines in both MT & AT guise. The test mules have been spotted in & around Pune.

Check the video below.

gollabhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 11:37   #78
Team-BHP Support

Slavia / Rapid replacement rendered by SRK based on the spy shots -

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia-srkdesignsinphoto2021_06_19_11_36.jpg
(Source)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 19:17   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Slavia / Rapid replacement rendered by SRK based on the spy shots -

Attachment 2168746
(Source)
That is a very realistic and visually pleasing render. If they can launch this at similar prices to the Honda City with all the bells and whistles on the top model, then it would be a very compelling contender and can even cannibalize the Octavia sales!
Old 19th June 2021, 20:42   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
That is a very realistic and visually pleasing render. If they can launch this at similar prices to the Honda City with all the bells and whistles on the top model, then it would be a very compelling contender and can even cannibalize the Octavia sales!
Agree about this new sedan from Skoda having the potential to truly rival the City, but in any case the target segment is 15-21 lakhs on road at best, the Octavia is too far ahead now, almost at double the prices, between 31-36 lakhs on road, so it has its own audience. My guess is this would be a great alternative to the City, spacious yet sporty.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 21:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Agree about this new sedan from Skoda having the potential to truly rival the City, but in any case the target segment is 15-21 lakhs on road at best, the Octavia is too far ahead now, almost at double the prices, between 31-36 lakhs on road, so it has its own audience. My guess is this would be a great alternative to the City, spacious yet sporty.
Agree on the pricing front. Haven't spotted any spy pics of the test mules with sunroof though, which would be a bummer and a repeat of the Octavia goof up! Regarding cross shopping between this and the Octavia, I believe Skoda has made it really hard for people on a budget wanting to upgrade from the Vento/Rapid, and this would satiate that crowd to a reasonable extend provided the car is fundamentally sorted.
Old 19th June 2021, 21:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wait what? 15 to 21 lakhs? That would be too ambitious. On par with Honda City would mean 13-17 lakhs. Pricing it at a premium to the entire segment would be DOA!
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 21:54   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Wait what? 15 to 21 lakhs? That would be too ambitious. On par with Honda City would mean 13-17 lakhs. Pricing it at a premium to the entire segment would be DOA!
There are rumours of this one getting the 1.5 TSi option as well for the top variant. If that is so - might just be positioned above the City.

1.0 TSi can rival the likes of City 1.5 NA and Verna 1.0 TGDi.

IMHO - Octavia has grown too big and expensive for the market, with the vRS almost going irrelevant via the CBU route - a Skoda Slavia/Rapid vRS with the 1.5 TSi might just be the perfect enthusiast sedan for the market.

The original Octavia vRS formula - 150hp and C sedan (currently they are the same size of the old D sedans) size.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th June 2021 at 22:06.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 11:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I mentioned On road prices, the new Honda city is actually closer to 14 on road and goes all the way up to 18, so I think 15-20 on road prices for this new Skoda is not far fetched. In fact, I think this is the new sweet spot for proper sedans. Corolla and Civic are not coming back any time, the new Octavia starts at 32 lakhs on road, if and when the all new Elantra comes in 2022, it would be closer to 30 lakhs as well. Also this 15-20 lakh segment is just full of cross overs now, so there isn’t any option for a customer who love their sedans.
Old 20th June 2021, 12:26   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I mentioned On road prices, the new Honda city is actually closer to 14 on road and goes all the way up to 18, so I think 15-20 on road prices for this new Skoda is not far fetched. In fact, I think this is the new sweet spot for proper sedans. Corolla and Civic are not coming back any time, the new Octavia starts at 32 lakhs on road, if and when the all new Elantra comes in 2022, it would be closer to 30 lakhs as well. Also this 15-20 lakh segment is just full of cross overs now, so there isn’t any option for a customer who love their sedans.
The price you mentioned can be justified if it is Laura sized with equipment rivalling the City and powered by the 1.5 TSI. Kind of 75% of the Octavia for 2/3rd the price!
Old 21st June 2021, 12:56   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Rapid likely to end production in 2022 ?

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:25   #87
BHPian

The SRK render looks bland from the side but then it's only a render. I love the way Rapid and Octavia look and hence Slavia shouldn't be any different. But the name? From the one true king to 'slave'ia? Hope they come with another Indian name.

The car will be perfect in size, performance and price. If equipped well and priced well, it has potential to change Skoda's fortunes along with Kushaq.

I love sedans and wish to see them regain lost ground.
Old 24th June 2021, 09:30   #88

If the Slavia name is not very palatable to anyone, you can check out the VW Virtus! It’s the same car underneath with the same engines.

And typically VW service is considered a bit better (my opinion).

The Virtus VRS models (with 1.5tsi DSG) look great as well! Check out any video from Latin America 😊
Old 24th June 2021, 10:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

Skoda mid-size sedan to be unveiled by end-2021

It's no secret that Skoda is planning to introduce a new mid-size sedan in the Indian market. According to Zac Hollis, Director of Sales, Service and Marketing, Skoda India, the new model will be unveiled at the end of this year.

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia-slavia.jpg

Skoda's new mid-size sedan, dubbed the Slavia, is expected to be based on the same platform as the Kushaq crossover. It will be positioned above the current Rapid. Whether it will be sold alongside the popular sedan remains to be seen.

The new model could be offered with the same engine options as the Kushaq. These include a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine producing 114 BHP and 175 Nm and a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol motor packing 148 BHP and 250 Nm. Transmission options could include a 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic and a 7-speed DSG.

Skoda claims that the Slavia will be slightly longer and wider than the Rapid. Like the Octavia, the new model could get a notchback design. Spy images have shown that the car will come equipped with a 2-spoke steering wheel and a sunroof.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 24th June 2021 at 10:51.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 13:39   #90
BHPian

Most of the people were disappointed with the Skoda Octavia pricing and felt it was overpriced. It was done to make a way for 'Slavia' to be positive between Rapid and Octavia. Skoda wants to position them as a premium brand in India because they did not sell vast number of vehicles. And hence they want to make some good profit from whatever they are able to sell. Let's wait and see how this strategy works.
TorqueKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed