Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 18:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia

Mod Note: Our Skoda Slavia Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

According to a media report, the replacement for the Skoda Rapid is likely to be launched in 2021. It is expected to be the fourth new VW Group product after the T-Cross, a new Skoda mid-size SUV and Vento successor.

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia-rapid.jpg

The Rapid replacement is likely to be based on the MQB A0 IN platform. It will reportedly have a high level of local content in order to achieve a more competitive price tag. Skoda claims to have already achieved around 92-95% localization.

The report states that the Rapid replacement is likely to be offered with a 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine. Skoda might not offer a diesel engine option on the car.

While Skoda's primary focus is expected to be on the Indian market, the carmaker could export the sedan to international markets at a later stage.

The MQB A0 IN-based T-Cross, mid-size SUV, Vento and Rapid replacements are part of the VW Group's India 2.0 project.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2021 at 15:12. Reason: Link to preview added
TusharK is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:53   #2
BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia

Good news for someone like me, who cares about SAVWIPL

As an existing owner, I welcome this wholeheartedly even though this replacement makes mine a generation old.

I would expect,
  1. A little more legroom at the back
  2. A little more overall width which welcomes 5th passenger at the back
  3. A little more sporty stance
  4. A little more illumination from the lights (please!)
  5. A little more premium looking LED tail lamps
  6. And last but not the least, a little less floor hump
vijayshouree is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

One query:
Is MQB A0 IN platform a low cost inferior platform compared to the current one of Rapid?
Old 12th September 2019, 19:07   #4
BHPian

Great to hear that! One of my favourite cars. I wish they improve the legroom, remove that Mt.Everest-sized hump at the rear and sort out their A.S.S. That along with an awesome feature list and reduced prices would make it a killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
One query:
Is MQB A0 IN platform a low cost inferior platform compared to the current one of Rapid?
I'm unsure about that, but what I do know is that they've certainly cut costs in the current gen on sale. I know this for a fact as I compared it with our first gen car.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th September 2019 at 19:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 19:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
One query:
Well Sir, its definitely better.

Saar, its newer and therefore better. Lightweight therefore more fuel efficient. Has higher degree of localization hence parts are cheaper. It has IN in the end indicating that it is rugged for India use as well! When will you buy saar?

Please have a look at GTO's comments on the new Skoda vs Laura for example to see what to expect in terms of chassis. Also have a look at the new VW cars compared to the earlier batches to understand what happens post localization.
sprocket is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 19:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
One query:
It is actually the cost sensitive version of their global MQB A0 platform. It is being developed for price sensitive markets like India and South America. Skoda is one developing it if I am not wrong.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 19:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
One query:
If Skoda is trying to make something like HEARTECT it will fail miserably - remember what happened to figo twins
NICHE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 20:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

With the auto industry in a state of constant 'downward' flux, only Nostradmus can predict what will 2021 will be like. Probably, Maruti will become an 'also ran' and some Johnny come lately may usurp it's position. If the economy gets jolted any further, 2021 may not be that good year after all. Keep fingers crossed. I think what VAG group did is commendable, in retrospect: not wasting too much money on their so called 'facelift' in trying times.
Old 12th September 2019, 20:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Great to hear that! One of my favourite cars. I wish they improve the legroom, remove that Mt.Everest-sized hump at the rear and sort out their A.S.S. That along with an awesome feature list and reduced prices would make it a killer.

I'm unsure about that, but what I do know is that they've certainly cut costs in the current gen on sale. I know this for a fact as I compared it with our first gen car.

There has always been only one generation of Polo, Vento and Rapid in India. The Rapid received only a facelift, so no mechanical changes. There could have been some cost cutting measures, I came across another thread where someone had commented that the new Vento has a regular Gabriel brand shock absorbers against the ones which were being used earlier. So apart from some such small component changes, all three cars have remained intact for the last 9-10 years.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 21:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
There has always been only one generation of Polo, Vento and Rapid in India. The Rapid received only a facelift, so no mechanical changes. There could have been some cost cutting measures, I came across another thread where someone had commented that the new Vento has a regular Gabriel brand shock absorbers against the ones which were being used earlier. So apart from some such small component changes, all three cars have remained intact for the last 9-10 years.
My bad. I realize now I could've simply mentioned the model year (MY 2014), sorry!
Old 13th September 2019, 13:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Skoda and VW are probably the worst Companies in terms of after sales service. One of the main reasons they sold a decent amount of Vento /Rapid is because of the brilliant diesel engine. So lets take that away, shall we. What else can we do to screw things up. Well lets replace the 1.2 Tsi with a 1L. What else can we do. Localization, light-weighting to reduce cost and improve fuel economy.

Note to VW: Don't try to beat Maruti at their own game. You will fail miserably.
oxyzen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One query:
MQB A0 is VAG's global modular platform underpinning most of their compact cars across various brands. MQB A0 IN will make use of local components and cheaper material (for example steel in place of some titanium or aluminium alloy etc.). Most importantly - the "IN" platform based cars will be designed to be slightly longer and more specious for the rear part of the cabin. (Exception being where the Polo will be tucked in a bit to fit it in 4meters. Mostly at the expense of some boot, retaining more seating area.)
Suspension components etc will be sourced locally - they are already doing that in current gen cars in fact. Gabriels are used. The platform won't become inferior to the current one in all likeliness because current one is practically outdated with its age. Designs & engineering have moved far forward in last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
If Skoda is trying to make something like HEARTECT it will fail miserably - remember what happened to figo twins
However while saying the above that I mentioned - I am willing to believe that VAG won't do a heartect. The platform will not skimp on weight & metal strength. Thats not the European philosophy of building cars. In fact - the platform might end up being heavier than the MQB A0 because of using higher weight but cheaper components to retain strength.

If we want to compare, at least for now I'll put faith in VAG compare this with Tata Motors using the LandRover platform for the Harrier. Its strong & robust. Uses heavier steel in place of lighter aluminium alloys. But doesn't skimp in solidity & become "cheap" in quality or stability. If thats achieved, the MQB A0 IN should very much be welcomed. The localization will not only keep costs in check - it will create a good supply chain & manufacturing industry & lot of jobs here.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th September 2019 at 14:21.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 12:36   #13
BHPian

But don't you guys think that they should aim to bring the new generation next year instead, considering next gen City is already being tested and may even get launched just before the onset of BS6.

Also on a lighter note we'll still be witnessing nth update of VW Polos and Vento even then.
Old 9th October 2019, 18:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Next GEN. SKODA RAPID India bound,

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia-5966528_v0.jpg

Quote:
ŠKODA publishes a design sketch that gives a first impression of the exterior of the new RAPID. Dynamic lines and altered optics form the modern look of the model. The world premiere of the new RAPID will take place in Russia at the end of the year.

The first image of the new ŠKODA RAPID shows balanced proportions, sharp edges and bright design elements that emphasize the modern character of the model. Unique arrow-shaped headlights and a hexagonal radiator grill reflect a new stage in the evolution of the brand's design language and create an instantly recognizable image of the new ŠKODA RAPID.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th October 2019 at 18:53.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 21:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well I do not think Skoda or VW are in a hurry to launch a C segment sedan anytime in the next 2-3 years. What they need are 2 SUVs, one a Creta Rival and the other probably something smaller. The sales of c segment sedans are just plunging, no sense to invest in an all new platform, unless they again want to do a Vento, Polo and the Rapid. Only then the investment will make sense. Rather, they are better off focusing their energy and investment on 2 SUVs in the 10-18 lakh kind of segment.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks