Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2021, 08:18   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied

As per authorized dealer in Coimbatore, launch of the new Force Gurkha will take place by May 2021.

Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied-smartselect_20210315081653_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:58   #107
BHPian

Gurkha launch is nearby and watch everyone who want a 4×4 SUV, ladder on frame chassis, boxy design and rugged looking spare wheel mounting on back doors not buy it. I applaud force for gurkha, true SUV in the realm of pseudos and asporationals suv's.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 10:30   #108
Senior - BHPian

Any news if a 5 door version with a 4x4 will be available?
Old 24th April 2021, 20:09   #109
BHPian

They should come out with all the variants in one go. That would have more impact and more sales in one go. As you know Thar's waiting period has crossed 1 year even i small town like Shimla , this would be a good time for Force to take an advantage of that. Some people like me might get repelled by the commonality of the Thar on the road. I mean the situation here in shimla is border-line irritating. The average sighting is 2 thars per 5 Kms. hehe. Thats just my personal opinion.

Apart from that am really looking forward for this car. I find its straight line design language pretty old school and defender-ish. I would obviously like them to give it a nice interior which is not at all difficult for the company.
aasheeshmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 21:51   #110
BHPian

Force Motors has for the first time responded about the launch of new Gurkha in any which way for the first time. Attaching a screenshot i took off instagram. Seems like Diwali launch only now. I wish at least the unveil is earlier than that.

Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied-whatsapp-image-20210517-9.47.26-pm.jpeg
aasheeshmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 23:35   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasheeshmehta View Post
Force Motors has for the first time responded about the launch of new Gurkha in any which way for the first time. Attaching a screenshot i took off instagram. Seems like Diwali launch only now. I wish at least the unveil is earlier than that.

Attachment 2157182
Looks like they are waiting for Thar hype and demand to subside a bit before launching the Gurkha. If that’s the case then this FM looks serious in promoting the Gurkha.

Let’s hope the Gurkha lives upto the hype.
Old 19th May 2021, 08:21   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Looks like they are waiting for Thar hype and demand to subside a bit before launching the Gurkha. If that’s the case then this FM looks serious in promoting the Gurkha.

Let’s hope the Gurkha lives upto the hype.
I think they can even ride the hype wave if they want to capitalize on it. As the waiting period is touching 13 months for Thar, they can convert some fo them they come out with a decent interior and good price. Because i think the exterior looks smashing. The minimalist purposeful mindset will really appreciate the new gurkha design.

They have even hired Dyworks for branding and marketing it. I hope they put it out well. It really has super potential. Right now Thar is enjoying the monopoly.
Old 19th May 2021, 14:24   #113
BHPian

Not just that they can give Bolero run for money by relaunching Gama with BS6 engine. They're surrendering the rural "get a dozen of us and a few goats moving don't care about comforts or noise" market.
Old 19th May 2021, 15:35   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasheeshmehta View Post
It really has super potential. Right now Thar is enjoying the monopoly.
While I agree that the Gurkha has that raw and rustic appeal, it is highly unlikely to hold a candle to the new Thar in terms of sales numbers, (arguably) better off-road capabilities notwithstanding! Reasons - wafer-thin dealer/service network (hardly 30 cities across the country), inferior engine, outdated interiors, much lower lifestyle quotient, lack of brand value, to name a few. A very high percentage of Thar sales tie back to its "lifestyle vehicle" aspect as opposed to hardcore off-road/workhorse requirements and this segment will never be swayed by the Gurkha, come what may! Of the ones that do intend to indulge in mild/serious off-roading, a small fraction would choose to forego Thar's offerings around comfort, handling, performance, style, after-sales support, etc. over the cons of the Gurkha.

So, come what may, Gurkha will never be able to offer significant competition to the new Thar, and the latter's monopoly is here to stay - at least till MSIL launches the Jimny in India.

Last edited by cool_dube : 19th May 2021 at 15:44.
Old 19th May 2021, 15:50   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Reasons - wafer-thin dealer/service network (hardly 30 cities across the country)
Even those 30 are uninterested in selling you this vehicle. Just try to get a test drive and you will see how apathetic dealers are. This genuinely good, enthusiast car suffers from clueless dealers and lack of target marketing by the company itself. You will have better experience at a Nissan dealer.

Not just that, sometime I feel Force motors themselves aren't keen on getting many Gurkhas on the road and this whole thing is someone's pet project who is happy as long as they get to play around in R&D.

I genuinely love how these look. Their stance is something else - better than Thar V1 and Defender style 3 windows on rear door is just fabulous design element. It was (is?) also way more practical than Thar.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 08:15   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
I applaud force for gurkha, true SUV in the realm of pseudos and asporationals suv's.
For someone who has never owned driven one, they the Gurkha picture will make an excellent bedroom wall poster. The so called pseudos and asporational suvs like the Thar will eat the Gurkha for 3 meals. Their only superior product was the Gurkha Extreme with solid axles front and back with the merc 2.2 engine which has now been axed.

Can you please explain what makes the Gurkha a proper SUV as opposed to a Thar 4WD or a Scorpio 4WD? What are the advantages that make Gurkha a proper SUV and the other two pseudo? Would love to hear your explanation.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 16:08   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
For someone who has never owned driven one, they the Gurkha picture will make an excellent bedroom wall poster. The so called pseudos and asporational suvs like the Thar will eat the Gurkha for 3 meals. Their only superior product was the Gurkha Extreme with solid axles front and back with the merc 2.2 engine which has now been axed.

Can you please explain what makes the Gurkha a proper SUV as opposed to a Thar 4WD or a Scorpio 4WD? What are the advantages that make Gurkha a proper SUV and the other two pseudo? Would love to hear your explanation.
My post was about psuedo and aspirational suv's like creta, hector, venue, seltos, sonet, xuv300, brezza and likes. In no way it was to undermine the credentials of Thar or scorpio4×4. It has its own drawbacks but people who desire a true suv often tend to overlook it. It has great road presence too.

In no way I am capable to debate with you about 4×4 credentials of a vehicle so I will take your word about Thar eating Gurkha for 3 meals.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:48   #118
BHPian

Don’t know how true this is but received the below engine specs through social media platform which is rumored to be plonked into the new Gurkha.

Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied-4533a9335cd64d6294c9a105d59503f5.jpeg

If the above is true, then force motors has finally done justice to the Gurkha.

Let’s wait and watch.
abhikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 05:03   #119
BHPian

Automatic gearbox is the one that made the Thar such a resounding success. Thar has given the space for other Boxy SUV's to be back with a bang.

I hope Gurkha also achieves the success. The specs seem decent. Maybe with more contemporary interiors, it should be a good buy. I just wish they did not shelve the 2.2 liter one.
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Don’t know how true this is but received the below engine specs through social media platform which is rumored to be plonked into the new Gurkha.

Attachment 2159523

If the above is true, then force motors has finally done justice to the Gurkha.

Let’s wait and watch.
That seems like a screenshot from the Force Traveller series engine specifications (attaching one I clicked after reading your post)

Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied-screenshot_20210523113802.png

But if they are really bringing in these specifications, then maybe they're just trying to standardise their engine lineup for all their vehicles, instead of keeping the detuned version for the Gurkha, when Thar has come up with good powerful motors in both Petrol and Diesel variants.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed