Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:49   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied

I will go against the tide and would like Force Motors to scrap this project.
Reason? They may design and manufacture a good vehicle but they dont know how to sell & service it.
I am following this product since last 12-13 year. I was planning to buy a Gurkha in 2009, despite all my attempts with Force and dealer, I couldnt get hold of one in six months, lost my patience and bought Safari. This was one of the best goof up happened with me. Few of close friends and offroaders were not lucky enough and bought Gurkhas. Despite living in and around of Force head office (Pune), they had to spend unbelievable time and energy to get simple things fixed.
Force has launched 3-4 iterations of Gurkha in last 10 years and last model with Rigid diff and 2.2 engine was damn good. Gurkha was a better product compared to first gen Thar. But things have changed in last decade. I own 2021 Thar and honestly I give a damn about Gurkha now. Mahindra had spent considerable R&D efforts to make a new Thar as exact copy of Jeep Wrangler and I am not complaining as I can not afford Jeep Wrangler
Where would Force position this product? How would they ensure proper aftersales experience for a lifestyle product ? in same service center next to Tempo Traveller and Toofan?
Force should better focus their efforts towards launching a Tata 407 and Tata Ace competitors because this is where real money is.
Shubhendra is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:43   #257
BHPian

I used to have a liking for the Tempo Trax so many years back when the company belonged to the Bajaj group. At that time the main attraction for me was the Mercedes Benz OM 616 engine, which was quite powerful and silent too. Even in those days the company seemed to have no interest in selling the product. It seems the troubles still continue although the company reached the hands of the Firodias.
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:58   #258
BHPian

Happy that Gurkha is finally getting a facelift. Had been on a soft offroading adventure in Chikmaglur in one of the earlier gen ones and it is a capable offroader which deserves to live. However, couldn't help myself from making this -

Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied-gurkha.png
LOL_FWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:32   #259
BHPian

I think a more usable interior (with seating arrangement for 4/5 in decent comfort) would up It's appeal. It's a great offroader no doubt about it but lacks the on road usability (for most of the car buying public). However, it'll still work well as a low volume niche product but if the company is after volumes then they'll have to up their game like it's competitor did. Styling wise though (a subjective topic) the previous gen was much better in comparison IMHO.
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:46   #260
BHPian

I may be the odd one out but I think the previous generation was the best looking Gurkha, and closest looking one to the G-wagen (which is a big part of its appeal IMO). The update to the rear window and side-rear windows is welcome but they should have left the front fascia alone.

And like many fellow bhpian have mentioned, I too have mixed feelings about this vehicle- especially with regard to the company. Let's wait and see if Force will manage to blow our minds with great pricing (I am not holding my breath)
CarCynic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:47   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkumar View Post
Even in those days the company seemed to have no interest in selling the product. It seems the troubles still continue although the company reached the hands of the Firodias.
Force Motors and it's format avatar, Bajai Tempo, have been owned and managed by the Firodias all the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Motors

Regards,
Anwesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:55   #262
BHPian

Will customers from Metro Cities buy the Gurkha over Thar?

Thar has now become almost like a social status whereas Gurkha, well..
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:59   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
Force Motors and it's format avatar, Bajai Tempo, have been owned and managed by the Firodias all the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Motors

Regards,
My mistake. So the company changed its name from Bajaj Tempo to Force Motors. Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:43   #264
Team-BHP Support

The new Gurkha is looking much better except that rear window. I loved the previous version with those small windows on the two sides similar to the old Defender. I wish they had kept that part same.

Gurkha
Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied-screenshot-20210902-13.05.41.png

Old Defender
Next-gen 2020 Force Gurkha spied-screenshot-20210902-13.11.25.png
BlackPearl is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:02   #265
BHPian

looks like mini G wagon, but this is not enough to make it commercial success.
Target segment is very small, they need to offer multifold than THAR to make this a commercially viable.

Dealer network, trust, brand appeal, products appeal nothing is favouring them, they need segment shaking features to make it work.
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:10   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Gurkha Defined
A member of any of several peoples of Nepal noted for their military prowess.
Going off topic, but I would like to clarify that Gurkha/Gorkha are Indians. The physical appearance of the people of the Himalayan region appear similar hence they are confused with Nepali - The people of Nepal. However the language spoken by both the people is same.

Now back to the topic, is the Green modified Force Gurkha displayed at the Auto Expo available for sale or can it be custom made by the company on order? The green Gurkha at the expo, loadedwith all the accessories looked very imposing.
dpaul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:13   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

The front grill doesn't seem to have the usual round Force logo. Wonder if they are putting the Gurkha logo up front as well instead of the "F".
Old 2nd September 2021, 21:03   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkumar View Post
I used to have a liking for the Tempo Trax so many years back when the company belonged to the Bajaj group. At that time the main attraction for me was the Mercedes Benz OM 616 engine, which was quite powerful and silent too. Even in those days the company seemed to have no interest in selling the product. It seems the troubles still continue although the company reached the hands of the Firodias.
You are talking about times in 60s when Firodia and bajaj were partners and owned Bajaj together. Tempo trax has been a brand of Firodia owned company since the late 60s. Bajaj and Firodia own shares of each other companies because they started together as one company which split, Firodias are the largest shareholder of Bajaj motors. Bajaj and Firodia's are also relatives via marriage in early years. Firodia's also used to own Kinetic motors which M&M bought but other kinetic groups are still owned by them.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 23:28   #269
BHPian

I remember that the early shots we saw for Mahindra Thar, there were Interior or the Dashoard shots too. Here that seems to be missing so I am not expecting much of an overhaul, maybe it will be utilitarian at best.
The hardtop is something of a good selling point along with 4x4 and from the reviews I have seen of the older Gurkha, it seems to have a good ride quality. We might be just a week away from the actual unveil.
Old 3rd September 2021, 08:07   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Going off topic, but I would like to clarify that Gurkha/Gorkha are Indians. The physical appearance of the people of the Himalayan region appear similar hence they are confused with Nepali - The people of Nepal. However the language spoken by both the people is same.
Sorry to contradict you, I am quoting from Wikipedia, ‘The Gurkhas or Gorkhas (/ˈɡɜːrkə, ˈɡʊər-/), with endonym Gorkhali (Nepali, [ɡorkʰali]), are soldiers native to South Asia of Nepalese nationality recruited for the British Army, Nepalese Army, Indian Army, Gurkha Contingent Singapore, Gurkha Reserve Unit Brunei, UN peacekeeping forces and in war zones around the world. Historically, the terms "Gurkha" and "Gorkhali" were synonymous with "Nepali", which originates from the hill principality Gorkha Kingdom, from which the Kingdom of Nepal expanded under Prithivi Narayan Shah.’
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha
And the Nepali speaking people with Indian citizenship are specifically called as ‘Indian Gorkhas’.
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed