Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 08:17   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Volkswagen Golf GTI to launch in 2020

Taking advantage of the the new norm ( can import 2,500 units per year, either as a CBU or CKD (completely knocked-down), without the models having to undergo homologation, ) and encouraged by the success of Octavia RS, the group is considering Golf GTi for India.

Quote:
While there's no confirmation from VW, the Golf GTI is expected to be powered by a revised version of the current model's 2.0-litre turbo putting out about 255hp (+15hp) in the standard model and 290hp (+45hp) for the more powerful TCR, which will replace the current Performance GTI in international markets. The torque rating of 350Nm and 370Nm respectively is also expected to increase
Likely to be priced at ~ ₹ 40 lakhs.

Rumour: Volkswagen Golf GTI to launch in 2020-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20190917065945_vwgolfgtirenderautocar.jpg

Quote:
In fact, Skoda is planning to reintroduce the Octavia RS, this time with a more powerful 245hp variant.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th September 2019 at 08:25.
volkman10 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 08:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen Golf GTI to launch in 2020

I think the Jetta GLI would be a better pick for the Indian market. ₹40 lakhs is waaay too much for a fwd hatchback. For those who aren't in the know, the GLI is the sedan form of the GTI. In a track battle it'll lose out to the GTI by an iota but it'll be no different on the street.
There'll probably be enough demand for it so I don't think it'll cannibalize Octavia vRS sales.

Last edited by raystriker : 18th September 2019 at 08:42.
raystriker is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be a miracle if they can sell even 10% of that 2500/year import limit concession. Who will buy this for 40L? Only the super-rich as their 10th car to take to the tracks once in a while for photo-ops.

Anyway - given VW's history about rumours in the market and actual lip-jobs on same POLO-VENTO, I wouldn't bet anything at all on this becoming a reality. In fact, they better not do this. It would not find many buyers, but will find plenty of sq. inches in news articles when it bombs and they pull it out after 2 years.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
It would be a miracle if they can sell even 10% of that 2500/year import limit concession. Who will buy this for 40L? Only the super-rich as their 10th car to take to the tracks once in a while for photo-ops.
I would but I am one of the minority who knows that this car would tick most of the boxes for me
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its a damn shame. The original Golf GTI was fun & affordable. This would be matured & expensive.

What we need is a Manual transmission hatch at 10-12 L with the 2.0L Turbo petrol. Period.
oxyzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:45   #6
BHPian

Through there would be some who can afford and buy a 40 lakhs hot hatch, its too expensive for what it offers. Forget about features and value proposition, price tag would make most car buyers not to think about it at all. I do not know why market researchers of car companies cannot read the mood and means of country (mainly those millennials who are still buying cars ). Polo GTI was a perfect car for Indian hot hatch enthusiast. Price was almost good, but that initial price was little high and failed to sell; and it took a year or so to sell all of them with a huge discount. With a price tag of Verna/City top end, Polo GTI would surely sell with consistent numbers. Give Polo GTI only, with a feasible price point, for many of us to enjoy and you (VW) to make some sure money.
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 13:03   #7
BHPian

Finally VW is beginning to realise the potential it is sitting on from it's global portfolio.
VW does not have to be Maruti and Hyundai. It would be wise for them to go for sales in those sectors where these two don't exist.

Maruti and Hyundai have close to zero brand recall in the performance segment.
VW has tons!

Performance variants of everyday cars will sell. The vRS found plenty takers. The Polo GTI also managed to sell after the price correction.

The Golf GTI will sell as well. And no it won't be the tenth car in an already expensive garage. I, for one, won't mind buying something like this within 30-35 odd lakhs.

VW needs to reclaim that premium image it had when it first came to our shores. And by launching halo products like these its certainly on the right track.
veedub89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:45   #8
Mtv
BHPian

I think this car makes total sense

There is an appetite for bargain performance in the country and the Golf GTI is perfect for it in every way.

Enthusiasts lapped up the vRS and there is still a huge demand for it. The Golf is basically a more premium Octavia inside and out (without the boot of course) , which in CBU guise will come with a slightly better build quality along with all the bells and whistles.

The vRS version of the new Octavia is still a while away so we can make do with the next better thing, the GTI.

40 lakhs for this is a bargain considering the JCW is pushing 50, while the C300/330i are going beyond 60.

Add to that the limitless mod potential and halo car heritage, this shouldn't be a hard sell at all. Personally speaking I would buy this over a vRS any day.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th September 2019 at 15:49. Reason: Removing excessive spacing
Mtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:45   #9
BHPian

It would be a great halo product for VAG in India. Having driven one for a while (The R version apart from GTI) , I must say its one of the most fun things I have driven, second only to GT 86 of Toyota and Boxster. That said, no, I wouldn't buy it for 40 lakhs ! And therein lies the issue for VW in bringing 2500 of these to our shores, if at all. I guess in total even Mini sold much less than that figure on a per year basis (~700 for 2018). And its not a drab thing to drive and is even more premium at lower price.
Old 18th September 2019, 16:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

This is a good move by VW. It's about time, if you ask me.

However, they should follow up this launch with the launch of the ID.3 electric car, if they really want to make a mark with a halo product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
I think the Jetta GLI would be a better pick for the Indian market.
Unfortunately, as per various reports, VW has withdrawn the Jetta from RHD markets owing to poor sales. The RHD Jetta will require all new tooling and a new assembly line for production. Hence the absence of a RHD Jetta GLI.

Quote:
₹40 lakhs is waaay too much for a fwd hatchback. For those who aren't in the know, the GLI is the sedan form of the GTI. In a track battle it'll lose out to the GTI by an iota but it'll be no different on the street.
I think the Indian market has matured sufficiently, for cars like the GTI to finally make it to our shores. Since most people buying such a car would be aware that the GLI is nothing but a GTI with a boot, I don't think it should be a problem.

Oh, by the way, the Mini Cooper is a fwd hatchback, and there are variants like the JCW within the Mini range that comfortably breach the 50 lakh mark. Lacklustre models like the Mini Cooper D, with its 3 cylinder 1.5 liter engines, are above 40 lakh on the road in most cities. And yet, you still see more than a handful of Minis traversing the streets of metropolitan cities. So there will definitely be a market for such a car, me thinks.
suhaas307 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:18   #11
BHPian

40 lakhs?? No worries, will wait for it to hit the used car market but I am picking it up if it comes to India for sure.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:32   #12
BHPian

VW's finally waking up!! Probably...If the rumours are true then it surely is a good move.But I think the Golf GTI won't work out considering the 40L bracket.

Indian aam janta doesn't associate a hatch for that kind of price.Bringing in the Jetta GLI would be a better option in this case In any case I'm happy with either of them coming to the Indian market!!
Old 18th September 2019, 16:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think this will actually do better than the Polo GTi. This is supposed to be a product for those who want specifically "it" rather than executing a pros/cons analysis as to the value for money aspect.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:39   #14
BHPian

If this true, then it will meet the fate of the Polo GTI and will have massive discounts in no time. I believe that there is definitely a market for this car but it needs a price correction (just like how the Polo GTI became highly desired after the discounts).
Old 18th September 2019, 17:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Excellent move, as there is really a dearth of performance oriented cars in India. There are options to upgrade in terms of size and luxury features but quite limited in horsepower and torque, especially within VW brand.

Hope VW follows it up with track day events and such.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks